The Voice General Discussion Thread 🧵

istersay

53 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Maybe Blake won’t help him get out of the deal? Since only Kelly’s winners have ditched the label deal, it’s hard to know what transpired, and how much BS they had to go through. 

Or, maybe Todd wants the deal?

Yeah, it's hard to assume anything without knowing the conversations they had BTS. All I know is Todd is well aware that someone like him isn't really what record labels are looking for nowadays.

Don't buy the snake oil Todd! 😱😱😱

4 minutes ago, mjdolorico said:

tenor.gif

They don’t always listen. Even Chevel had a trip lined up to go to New York (presumably to meet with Republic), but I’m guessing Kelly talked her out of it. People who win The Voice are generally very confident in themselves, and ignore the fact that it didn’t work out for others. 

This is the full press conference, Blake also says if he had a label he'd sign him. I wonder if Blake's thought is label is better then no label. Or maybe Kelly is just better at putting Brandon to work getting the winner out of the deal. 

11 minutes ago, seak05 said:

This is the full press conference, Blake also says if he had a label he'd sign him. I wonder if Blake's thought is label is better then no label. Or maybe Kelly is just better at putting Brandon to work getting the winner out of the deal. 

For my sanity I'm just gonna assume it's this. Blake has had a very different career path from Kelly so it's understandable that they'd have different attitudes towards this.

• Like 1

Just a reminder...we’re a year out from Maelyn’s win. Still no single, other than her Christmas cover. She had an entire album ready to go. If she hadn’t signed, it probably would have been released a long time ago. 

Edited by TeamAudra

21 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Just a reminder...we’re a year out from Maelyn’s win. Still no single, other than her Christmas cover. She had an entire album ready to go. If she hadn’t signed, it probably would have been released a long time ago. 

Wbk though... Without someone fighting for you, the label basically ignores you.

It was an EP btw. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

That’s really the worst part of it, that they steal precious time from the artists. In retrospect, I’m sure they’d all rather have been unsigned than spend the year right after their wins twiddling their thumbs.

4 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

That’s really the worst part of it, that they steal precious time from the artists. In retrospect, I’m sure they’d all rather have been unsigned than spend the year right after their wins twiddling their thumbs.

The time and the aggravation too. 

I also wonder if they own the rights to any of Maelyn’s pre-show original music. If she’s recorded any of it under the label, they probably do.  This is a trap Alisan fell

into. 

I have a little news and I'll address several topics from the last half dozen posts above ^.

Kelly Clarkson has already confirmed she'll be back next season.  It think it's a safe bet Kelly is a permanent fixture on The Voice.  

The Maelyn problem.  If the album she recorded before TV had been any good it would already be out.  Record labels are looking for one thing:  GREAT SONGS!  They are not looking for great singers.  They'll take a &hitty singer with great songs over a great singer who can't write hits any day.  Maelyn can't write her own hits and no hits means no career.  She's too old to break into pop so her label isn't going to spend money on top producers and writers.  She's wasting her time at Republic.  Her best bet is Broadway and to forget pop altogether.  If she could write hits she would have made it in pop long ago.

The Todd Tilghman problem, or I should say "many" problems.  #1. Todd is too old.  #2. Todd is a Pentecostal preacher.  If you Google Pentecostalism you'll find mainstream country music is not compatible with his religion.  Todd is a religious fanatic in what most call a cult religion and the conflict that presents for Todd in country music is insurmountable.  Country radio is not looking for people like Todd and once word of his religious fanaticism gets out country producers & songwriters won't touch him - but truth be told they wouldn't have ever worked with him anyway - his image and age don't work.  That leaves Todd one lane:  Christian music.  But even then, as a full time pastor with 8 children, I don't see Todd touring enough to build a fanbase to sustain an income from touring while keeping faith with his religion and taking care of his family.  Bottom line:  Todd's story is unique but he'll fade away faster than a rain cloud in Arizona.  In fact, Todd's career is already over.

Edited by Cranberrys
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Cranberrys said:

If the album she recorded before TV had been any good it would already be out. Record labels are looking for one thing:  GREAT SONGS! 

That's true if you live in 1970! :teeheebounce:

2020 is a completely different story. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, echoap said:

That's true if you live in 1970! :teeheebounce:

2020 is a completely different story. 

So, why haven't great songwriters and producers been fighting to work with Maelyn?  Where are her hit songs?  The better question to ask is:  Where is her career?

Record labels are in business to make money.  They make ZERO money without hit records.  They're looking for hit songs first, last, and everything in between. The singers are secondary by a loooooong shot.  You can lie to yourself all you want - I don't care.

Edited by Cranberrys

5 minutes ago, Cranberrys said:

So, why haven't great songwriters and producers been fighting to work with Maelyn?  Where are her hit songs?  The better question to ask is:  Where is her career?

Record labels are in business to make money.  They make ZERO money without hit records.  They're looking for hit songs first, last, and everything in between. The singers are secondary by a loooooong shot.  You can lie to yourself all you want - I don't care.

thank you for your commentary

1 hour ago, Cranberrys said:

I have a little news and I'll address several topics from the last half dozen posts above ^.

Kelly Clarkson has already confirmed she'll be back next season.  It think it's a safe bet Kelly is a permanent fixture on The Voice.  

source? Not a surprise but still curious 

1 hour ago, seak05 said:
3 hours ago, Cranberrys said:

source? Not a surprise but still curious 

Kelly does little promotional Instagram, Facebook Live, and Twitter videos for her Talk Show & The Voice and she's mentioned in several of them they're trying to figure out how to do the "Blinds" for next season from her ranch in Montana.  Her Ranch, by the way, is called Vintage Valley and it's 7000 acres.  It is the largest ranch in Granite County, Montana.  The "Blinds" are shot months before the season starts - that means NOW!

Edited by Cranberrys

Record labels aren't exactly reaching out to talent show contestants in general.

I think very few contestants at this point, if any, go into the show expecting to come out the next Kelly or Carrie after the show ends (we all know that time is long gone...) For a lot of them, it's just a launchpad for their career - and for the younger ones, an opportunity to get a view at the industry and improve their skills. I don't think any of them can deny that the show did something at least a little good for them. At the very least, they can get "FROM NBC's 'THE VOICE'" added to their name outside their local coffee shop gig and get some streams. For a winner on the show, it's at least a lot of temporary exposure.

I don't recall if Todd said what his ultimate end goal was before his blind aired, but I doubt that the father of 8 children was fully expecting to go on a bunch of nationwide tours and release a bunch of albums and try to climb the Billboard Hot 100 or whatever. I'm assuming his goal was to make a name for himself and get a start on releasing some of his own music. It's correct to say that he's probably too old to break into the industry and that being "the next big thing" or whatever as a preacher isn't compatible - but that's only a problem if his goal was to be huge. I hope he doesn't take the record deal so he can independently release things and gather at least a strong regional fanbase in Mississippi and the surrounding states plus one very dedicated Filipino. Todd was probably always going to go down the Christian music path in the first place. He was never a full-on country singer.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Vinyl said:

It cost more money to make less in the music business now. They're just not going to take as many chances.

The bottom line here - if you go back and read the last dozen posts - is Maelyn and Todd have ZERO chance at significant music careers.  99.9% of their music careers ended with their last performance on The Voice.

Edited by Cranberrys

7 minutes ago, Cranberrys said:

lol, the labels have all the hit makers they need already. It's all about content and marketing nowadays. Labels already have a bunch of stars, so they just sign the next viral sensation in hope of making a lot of money if someone goes big enough. Maelyn or any other artist could release an award worthy album (especially in pop music) but without marketing or proper promotion no one (besides the artist's fanbase) is gonna notice it. Do you even know how many artists have been rejected by the industry countless times until they got the opportunity to shine? 

Again, I'm not complaining, the current state of music business is what it is, but your vision of the industry is very old fashioned, to say the least. Things are very different nowadays. 

52 minutes ago, echoap said:

lol, the labels have all the hit makers they need already. It's all about content and marketing nowadays. Labels already have a bunch of stars, so they just sign the next viral sensation in hope of making a lot of money if someone goes big enough. Maelyn or any other artist could release an award worthy album (especially in pop music) but without marketing or proper promotion no one (besides the artist's fanbase) is gonna notice it. Do you even know how many artists have been rejected by the industry countless times until they got the opportunity to shine? 

Again, I'm not complaining, the current state of music business is what it is, but your vision of the industry is very old fashioned, to say the least. Things are very different nowadays. 

You are making assumptions you know nothing about.  

Viral sensations come from "hits" written by the artist posted online or social media.  HIT SONGS!  Post Malone can't sing a lick - but he writes GREAT SONGS.  You are out of your mind if you think singers come first in the creative process and the decisions labels make when it's time to invest money in an artist's career.  CONTENT IS KING!  And that will never, never, never, never, never change.

Edited by Cranberrys

1 minute ago, mjdolorico said:

I received some info that made me feel a WHOLE LOT BETTER about Todd and the record deal, but imma keep this source secret. 😇

Are you a Pentecostal Missionary?  There is nothing, short of an immaculate intervention, that would help Todd's career now.  His entire career was his appearance on The Voice.  That's it and that's all.

3 hours ago, Cranberrys said:

(whatever she said) 

Todd isn't Pentecostal. He said he goes to a Pentecostal church, which he meant figuratively. He has been clearing this up with people ever since he said that in his blind.

Also:

tumblr_mkjs12tjmO1qkyz1oo2_500.gif

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, mjdolorico said:

Todd isn't Pentecostal. He said he goes to a Pentecostal church, which he meant figuratively. He has been clearing this up with people ever since he said that in his blind.

Also:

tumblr_mkjs12tjmO1qkyz1oo2_500.gif

Are you dense?  He reaffirmed he is a Pentecostal Preacher in the finale.  He is a Pentecostal Preacher and he and his family are devout Pentecostals.  Why would you try to refute it?