The Voice General Discussion Thread 🧵

istersay

19 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

thevoicefinal.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

Explain this. Three of the best vocalists in the competition not getting enough votes to advance. I’d say it’s a major factor in the votes. 

I think they actually want an AA female to win, but aren’t expressing that correctly.

Putting the IS aside.....

To be fair, of the 5 standing there, one of the AA females got beat by a pimped AA male, and another got beat by a country singer. As for the two white males, one got beat by an AA male, and the other by a country singer. There are two AA males in the finale. Racism would be a tough sell this season. Sexism on the other hand....

• Like 10

Just now, TeamAudra said:

To be fair, of the 5 standing there, one of the AA females got beat by a pimped AA male, and another got beat by a country singer. As for the two white males, one got beat by an AA male, and the other by a country singer. There are two AA males in the finale. Racism would be a tough sell this season. Sexism on the other hand....

That’s true. I’d say it’s a bit of a combination.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Putting the IS aside.....

Out of the PO and SF results this season (including WC), Rachel getting PV in playoffs is the only time a girl got voted through over guys (But all three were basically fodder that round).

Edited by Cookie73
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cookie73 said:

Out of the PO and SF results this season (including WC), Rachel getting PV in playoffs is the only time a girl got voted through over guys (But she was also much better than all of them that round).

Yep, and her ceiling is 3rd place, and that might be a stretch. It’s progressively getting worse. Minivan doesn’t even try to hide it anymore. Lots of things have to fall into place for a female to win. Will it ever happen again?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, TeamAudra said:

Yep, and her ceiling is 3rd place, and that might be a stretch. It’s progressively getting worse. Minivan doesn’t even try to hide it anymore. Lots of things have to fall into place for a female to win. Will it ever happen again?

I’m just happy she made the finale. 🤗 Maybe next season will be better for the females. 🥺🤞 (maybe the Voice will have to pull an AI S12...)

I disagree with some posters here (racism is and has always been a major factor imo), but I agree that sexism has been the more “brutally obvious” of the two issues this year, both in AI and in TV.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Daillon said:

I disagree with some posters here (racism is and has always been a major factor imo), but I agree that sexism has been the more “brutally obvious” of the two issues this year, both in AI and in TV.

Don’t remind me of that Top 24 massacre... Anilee and Andrea robbed in one night.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

I’m just happy she made the finale. 🤗 Maybe next season will be better for the females. 🥺🤞 (maybe the Voice will have to pull an AI S12...)

When I talked about the casting in the “black females will never win” thread I had this in mind. They would have to rig the hell out of the season to make it happen.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I think it's by design. In seasons 13, 14, 15 and 16 the males were notably weak and/or the females were notably superior. The reverse thing happened in seasons 17, 18, 19 and 20.

Edited by echoap
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

It was clear that in Season 13, they really wanted a female winner, since males won 6 of the last 7 seasons. That’s why they stacked the cast with so many great females and pimped the heck out of Miley’s all girl team. They also helped Chloe and Addison after they got stolen (Chloe being on TB really helped push Red, the only male finalist, out of the T3, and give an all girl T3). 

57 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Desz doesn’t consider her black either. I wonder what Tessanne thinks about that? Aw, never mind. She’s probably been dealing with that her entire life, so this isn’t anything new to her. 

This is one of those clear “race is a social construct” moments..

And also is a perfect example of colorism..Mariah Carey talked about this a lot.

• Like 3

I was listening to a country wide radio station just now and they were talking about how mullets are back and the man said that not all men can pull one off. He said the only ones that can is Morgan Wallen and that kid on The Voice (Kenzie). 😂

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

This is one of those clear “race is a social construct” moments..

And also is a perfect example of colorism..Mariah Carey talked about this a lot.

Yeah, I don’t like it. 

13 minutes ago, echoap said:

I think it's by design. In seasons 13, 14, 15 and 16 the males were notably weak and/or the females were notably superior. The reverse thing happened in seasons 17, 18, 19 and 20.

Maybe they should compare the ratings of the last four seasons to the string of seasons with female winners (excluding S16, but it’s not Maelyn’s fault that season was trash). 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hamza Tufail said:

I seriously don't get why people don't consider Tessnanne as balck woman. Even she consider herself as a black woman and that's why she married a black man.

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

Desz doesn’t consider her black either. I wonder what Tessanne thinks about that? Aw, never mind. She’s probably been dealing with that her entire life, so this isn’t anything new to her. 

What?????

2 hours ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Yep. People constantly complain about black females not winning but they forget Tessanne. They also forget that indie girls and rockers also don't do well on this show. 

I know racism exists in this world but it's not the major factor here. Voters are just biased and they are gonna vote for those contestants whose genre they like. I mean if a person grows up listening to Country music and is not a fan r&B/soul then of course they're more likely to vote for Kane brown or Luke combs that Whitney or Aretha.

1 hour ago, Bk1234 said:

Explain this. Three of the best vocalists in the competition not getting enough votes to advance. I’d say it’s a major factor in the votes. 

I think they actually want an AA female to win, but aren’t expressing that correctly.

I think he already explained that. Seriously guys are you even reading the whole paragraph or you guys just look for holes???

9 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

What place did COUNTRY SINGER Keisha Renee come in? 🧐

I think Keisha is a convert she even said on her BA that she likes to do country-pop-soul. Of course it might be her strategy to do country because she knows and we know country gains a lot of votes in this show, but what happened? She didn't even made the finale.

Edited by Jyn Mycle
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jyn Mycle said:

What?????

They are talking about how Tess is a black woman but she isn’t considered as one by some people because of her light skin color.

I have to admit, I often forget Tess when it comes to these topics, so yeah, it’s true a black woman has won this show. But we also have to take into account that as sad as this is, she might have faced less prejudice just because she had a light skin color (doesn’t take away from the fact that Tess probably has faced other issues, per example colorism as @mercfan3said)

Still, only one out of 20 winners. Tess winning doesn’t mean that the issue doesn’t exist.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Jyn Mycle said:

What?????

Tessanne is Jamaican raised but she has Chinese, English, and African ancestry - so by American understandings of race, she’s multiracial. More importantly, though, Tessanne classes herself as a black woman, which a lot of people (on and off IDF, myself included) might overlook - especially since she isn’t immediately “read” as a black woman due to her ethnic makeup. Whether or not that’s fair to Tessanne is another matter, but that’s a discussion for another thread.

In any case, it’s been fifteen seasons since a nonwhite woman won the show. The reasoning behind why that may be is multilayered at best, but it’s a lot more complicated than casting an R&B heavy season with numerous black women post-blinds and expecting that to solve everything.

Edited by VintageVoice
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Ok I'll explain it with an example.

If I had all the powers to decide who to pick then, just like American voters I would've not let Sasha reach the finale. I would've also restricted Koryn to Fourth. I would've eliminated Kimberly and India before the finale. I would've also eliminated Regina. I would've let Ali reached the finale but her celling in my world would've been 3rd. I would've also not let Amy, Vanessa, Keisha, Spensha, Kymberli, Kennedy, Tamara, Dana, Pia, and  Gihanna reach the finale. I would've restricted Brooke to third, Rose, and Desz to fourth.

Now, would you also call me a racist?

There have been multiple black contestants that I've loved. But me not liking these above mentioned contestants(because I wasn't sold on them and had other favorites) doesn't make me racist. It just shows I preferred others. You know I voted for Kyndal bur not for Myracle even if she had a better performance(#recencybias). That clearly doesn't make me a racist? Does it?

Edited by Hamza Tufail

1 minute ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Ok I'll explain it with an example.

If I had all the powers to decide who to pick then, just like American voters I would've not let Sasha reach the finale. I would've also restricted Koryn to Fourth. I would've eliminated Kimberly and India before the finale. I would've also eliminated Regina. I would've let Ali reached the finale but her celling in my world would've been 3rd. I would've also not let Amy, Vanessa, Keisha, Spensha, Kymberli, Kennedy, Tamara, Dana, Pia, and  Gihanna reach the finale. I would've restricted Brooke to third, Rose, and Desz to fourth.

Now, what would you also call me a racist?

There have been multiple black contestants that I've loved. But me not liking these above mentioned contestants(because I wasn't sold on them and had other favorites) doesn't make me racist. It just shows I preferred others. You know I voted for Kyndal bur not for Myracle even if she had a better performance(#recencybias). That clearly doesn't make me a racist? Does it?

Ok, but you’re one person. You can’t speak for everyone who is voting.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Daillon said:

I have to admit, I often forget Tess when it comes to these topics, so yeah, it’s true a black woman has won this show. But we also have to take into account that as sad as this is, she might have faced less prejudice just because she had a light skin color (doesn’t take away from the fact that Tess probably has faced other issues, per example colorism as @mercfan3said)

Thank you. I decided not to comment on this because I wasn't sure how to phrase it in a respectful manner, but I think you nailed it

• Like 2