The Voice General Discussion Thread 🧵

istersay

4 minutes ago, SNI2 said:

WTF, we are now projecting something onto him, Kenzie himself never even gave a clue about it. We have no idea about the kind of coaching Kelly is giving to him or how he is reacting to it. Let's not project something we have no basis to speak of, because this is turning into a dramatic fanfiction. 

If anything Kelly is very likely to help him after the show. Being runner up on Kelly`s team could be the best thing that could happen to him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Misirlou said:

If Corey was on Team Blake, he probably would have won the IS. But only him, the other contestants were clearly not appealing enough for Minivan.

I think Corey's voice was not at its best in the lives, it felt like it was kind of shot. It could have also just been the lives exposing him to a less extent - we do know that either he or Savanna was pitchy in their battle. 

I look forward to seeing what Corey does post-show cause I loved his studios and at the end of the day, being pitch-perfect live doesn't really matter if he's recording and not doing live performances super regularly for large audiences.

1 hour ago, Misirlou said:

Somebody previously said that Kenzie losing would mean Kelly letting slip a once sure win through her fingers, and yeah, honestly I agree. 

It also comes down to Kenzie, though. He got a great song choice in the T9 (based on what y'all have said), and he didn't reach 100%, even though he was vocally good. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, QueenCami said:

It also comes down to Kenzie, though. He got a great song choice in the T9 (based on what y'all have said), and he didn't reach 100%, even though he was vocally good. 

Yeah, definitely, but I would have expected him to be comfortable given Kelly`s hands on approach. Either way, like I just said, Kenzie being runner up on her team would probably be the best outcome for him. I think she will help him.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Yeah, definitely, but I would have expected him to be comfortable given Kelly`s hands on approach. Either way, like I just said, Kenzie being runner up on her team would probably be the best outcome for him. I think she will help him.

Kenzie winning would also be the best outcome as well. Actually, Kenzie winning would be the best outcome for him and Cam!

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, jus.vshn said:

Am I the only one excited to see how strong Victors support is? I’m excited to see how it stacks up against the other final 4

Many people have pegged him as 5th, but his community could carry him to a higher position. My guess is that he ends up 4th, wouldn`t be totally surprised if he makes it to 3rd, but that`s his ceiling. At this point is obvious who the top 2 are.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Many people have pegged him as 5th, but his community could carry him to a higher position. My guess is that he ends up 4th, wouldn`t be totally surprised if he makes it to 3rd, but that`s his ceiling. At this point is obvious who the top 2 are.

Rachel and JMY 😜

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, jus.vshn said:

Am I the only one excited to see how strong Victors support is? I’m excited to see how it stacks up against the other final 4

Me too. I still think he's in third place but I hope his community will surprise me.

Just now, VintageVoice said:

I've been saying this whole time we're underestimating Victor's support. Tbh, I would be more surprised if he was fifth than fourth or third, barring a John-Holiday-esque flop in the finale.

^^Yeah, I remember you've been saying this all along. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens, given how spot-on your psychic powers always are!

All That Magic GIF by Nickelodeon

• Haha 2

Just now, QueenCami said:

^^Yeah, I remember you've been saying this all along. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens, given how spot-on your psychic powers always are!

All That Magic GIF by Nickelodeon

Since two of my snowflakes have been the only recipients of my song predicting psychic powers so far, I guess Victor would actually qualify as a snowflake given I also predicted him doing I Can Only Imagine 🤪

I'm basing his finale placement on my outsider observations of people who went to HBCUs (like Victor) or participated in largely Black spaces (for example, African-American Greek life in college) - the support from those sorts of communities tends to extend to the people in the same boat even if you don't directly know the person. So as a student at an HBCU, Victor's got his alumni network + family members of people that went to North Carolina A&T, which is not a tiny network of folks around the US. 

Gonna do some math below the spoiler cut if anyone cares.

According to my quick search, there's ~55,000 alumni of Victor's college on LinkedIn. For simplicity's sake, let's assume all of them are US-based. If even just 5% of them watch The Voice, that works out to 55,000*0.05=2750 people. If each of them vote 10 times for Victor, that's 27,500 votes from the alumni of his school alone - and that's assuming all of them only use one account to vote (which most will, but there's also multiple voting methods beyond just in app which is a complicating factor I am going to ignore). That's also before you factor in support for being a vocally consistent R&B/soul artist, going the gospel route in the semis, and any hometown support, not to mention any other fans he's picked up along the way. It's only based on what psych calls an "affinity bias" where you look more favorably at a person due to some shared trait - in this case, college attendance.

It might not be enough to shift the dynamic totally, but it might be enough for Victor to get out of last in the finale. I'd feel more confident if he weren't on Team Legend since John's not the most well-liked panel member, but I'm of the opinion that fourth is definitely plausible and even third place might not be out of reach if Victor plays his cards right next week.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, SNI2 said:

WTF, we are now projecting something onto him, Kenzie himself never even gave a clue about it. We have no idea about the kind of coaching Kelly is giving to him or how he is reacting to it. Let's not project something we have no basis to speak of, because this is turning into a dramatic fanfiction. 

No basis? Then what happened to Tanner last season? Blake didn't turn for him and I'm pretty sure he will pick Blake had he turned.

Kelly is bragging him as his cowboy and he underperformed in the PO because maybe Kelly is not doing it right. (Why am I saying this? Coz they have similar tone.)

I'm not a Kenzie fan but I'm thinking of a logical explanation about what's happening to him that nobody talked about.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rainbowconnection said:

Has the same song ever been covered twice on the same season?

It happened more in earlier seasons - often with no-chair turners or battle eliminees' blind audition songs getting done in the lives later on.

The most recent example I can think of would be Chevel's battle song being Kirk and Blake's finale duet in S15.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jyn Mycle said:

No basis? Then what happened to Tanner last season? Blake didn't turn for him and I'm pretty sure he will pick Blake had he turned.

Kelly is bragging him as his cowboy and he underperformed in the PO because maybe Kelly is not doing it right. (Why am I saying this? Coz they have similar tone.)

I'm not a Kenzie fan but I'm thinking of a logical explanation about what's happening to him that nobody talked about.

Hypothesis. Conjecture, even. Borderline conspiracy. 

Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

16 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

It happened more in earlier seasons - often with no-chair turners or battle eliminees' blind audition songs getting done in the lives later on.

The most recent example I can think of would be Chevel's battle song being Kirk and Blake's finale duet in S15.

Katrina Cain’s blind song was Adam’s group performance.

17 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

Yeah and also reprise songs for the finale in some seasons

27 minutes ago, SNI2 said:

Hypothesis. Conjecture, even. Borderline conspiracy. 

Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

I think my post with Team Audra is an opinion and this is a discussion thread. If you wanna shut people just because you don't agree with them show what's wrong instead of posting something like this. ☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

49 minutes ago, Jyn Mycle said:

It’s a song Kenzie has been covering for years. He didn’t really need coaching. He just needed to deliver when the lights were the brightest, and he did not. That’s not on Kelly. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

It’s a song Kenzie has been covering for years. He didn’t really need coaching. He just needed to deliver when the lights were the brightest, and he did not. That’s not on Kelly. 

Okay. Then I agree with you, I had enough of this. Thanks for pointing it out. In the end I will still not agree that Kenzie was given the free win.

Edited by Jyn Mycle

Am I the only one who doesn't care whether or not Cam wins? And no, I'm not saying this because I don't like Cam.

I just think that this show is all about the performances. Getting to a new stage isn't a step closer to the trophy, but a chance to perform more. As long as my favourite makes the final, then that's all that matters.

I'm thankful that Rachel and Cam get 3 more performances, but I could give a Rat's Donkey as to whether or not either of them win.

• Like 4