The Voice General Discussion Thread 🧵

istersay

3 minutes ago, British Man said:

Excuse me for changing topic, but was I the only one slightly annoyed at how the judges didn't stand up for Anna's (Kelly did, but not the others) and Gihanna's knockout performances?

I would guess it's because they're more emotional songs (especially Anna's), and they usually stand and cheer for the super vocally impressive, firecracker performances.

In fact, now that I think of it, I think it's almost better the coaches didn't stand, so the focus would stay more on the contestants, which is especially important for these more emotional songs.

Edited by QueenCami

12 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

I´m not a Gihanna fan, but I´d rather not focus on predicting who is gonna flop since contestants are actually reading this and it might mess with their heads. Let´s just see what happens and good luck to all 20.

It's a challenge for them (not just for Gihanna), its me that still not convince with her KO, her BA was pitchy, her battle was bad. I'm not even sure if she can sing live well.

I will shut up for now, I'm not wishing anything bad but considering Team Kelly is stacked, whoever must get the PV and CS must be deserving imo.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jyn Mycle said:

It's a challenge for them (not just for Gihanna), its me that still not convince with her KO, her BA was pitchy, her battle was bad. I'm not even sure if she can sing live well.

I will shut up for now, I'm not wishing anything bad but considering Team Kelly is stacked, whoever must get the PV and CS must be deserving imo.

I think it's good to remember what happened with Deion; a few people said some negative stuff, and it stuck! It's a good idea to just try and be kind when we're talking about contestants, our favorites or not. 

FWIW, I genuinely think that this season's playoffs will be good. I also have confidence that Gihanna will be able to sing very will live, along with her teammates and the other contestants this season. I cannot tell you one person who I think would "flop."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jyn Mycle said:

Let me begin off by saying that I understand your point of view.

The reason Gihanna is being hyped up so much is because of her ability to perform shown from her knockouts, not from her issues from the battles (or blind auditions, though I believe that she was pitchy at the start for a stylistic effect, but that's just me). Currently, we've seen that Gihanna CAN put on a performance that is worthy of the Public Vote, and therefore, we believe in her to do well. 

The thing is, I'm one of Gihanna's fans, and so are most of the people that are hyping her up. When we watch Gihanna's performances, we prioritize her rich tone, beautiful phrasing, lovely enunciation, and emotion, and we focus on those things, because when you focus on the bad, you let the bad things define the performance. When you say "Her BA was pitchy", you make it sound like the whole thing was bad, when there were some good moments (enough good moments to make Kelly and Nick turn their chair)

Also, while the argument of "If you criticize them a lot, they'll be more determined" does make sense, it doesn't account for the fact that everyone reacts to negative feedback differently. Some people think "I will do better next time" while others think "I HAVE to do better next time", and when you believe you have to do better next time, you get nervous.

Honestly, I don't know what point I'm trying to make here, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that Gihanna's fans (anyone's fan, really) are allowed to like her, even if she might not have been perfect.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, British Man said:

Let me begin off by saying that I understand your point of view.

The reason Gihanna is being hyped up so much is because of her ability to perform shown from her knockouts, not from her issues from the battles (or blind auditions, though I believe that she was pitchy at the start for a stylistic effect, but that's just me). Currently, we've seen that Gihanna CAN put on a performance that is worthy of the Public Vote, and therefore, we believe in her to do well. 

The thing is, I'm one of Gihanna's fans, and so are most of the people that are hyping her up. When we watch Gihanna's performances, we prioritize her rich tone, beautiful phrasing, lovely enunciation, and emotion, and we focus on those things, because when you focus on the bad, you let the bad things define the performance. When you say "Her BA was pitchy", you make it sound like the whole thing was bad, when there were some good moments (enough good moments to make Kelly and Nick turn their chair)

Also, while the argument of "If you criticize them a lot, they'll be more determined" does make sense, it doesn't account for the fact that everyone reacts to negative feedback differently. Some people think "I will do better next time" while others think "I HAVE to do better next time", and when you believe you have to do better next time, you get nervous.

Honestly, I don't know what point I'm trying to make here, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that Gihanna's fans (anyone's fan, really) are allowed to like her, even if she might not have been perfect.

This was so incredible well-put! 100% agreed with everyone here and I appreciate how respectfully you put it. 

1 hour ago, Daillon said:

Personally, I think we should find a sweet middle between being negative and disrespectful and being “overly positive”. As long as we are respectful, everyone should be able to voice their opinions and critiques (that’s the hard part). 

Absolutely. Respectful and constructive criticism is great! But I get that it's also hard sometimes; there's pressure to say something funny or clever (as @seak05 pointed out earlier) which can lead to people making unkind comments. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

How long is the vote window for the 4WKO? I need to know how much time I have to vote on multiple accounts for Carolina (and perhaps Emma)

I think it's from 8pm EST on Monday 4/26 to 7am EST on Tuesday 4/27.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bk1234 said:

I think it's from 8pm EST on Monday 4/26 to 7am EST on Tuesday 4/27.

Okay, sounds good! The past two seasons I spent quite a while agonizing over who to vote for, and I suspect I'll have the same situation, with Emma/Carolina being my two favorites and Savanna just killing it, leaving me torn.

On 4/24/2021 at 1:01 PM, TeamAudra said:

“.....lying on our backs, and countin’ the stars.” 

Yeah, nothing at all about actual “fishing.” I thought this was obvious. 

Never knew that song got a hidden meaning.🙄 I thought it was about fishing at night is better than during the day. 😏

• Haha 1

On 4/23/2021 at 9:38 AM, Misirlou said:

Still the smoothest battle ever. Their voices, them interchanging keyboard duties, the harmonies, the groove. One of my all time favorites. It sucks that Dave underdelivered in the next round and Michael got unjustifiably eliminated.

Great battle. Both got amazing voice but the elimination process can be unpredictable.

I love how this thread has turned into the “how to beat Kenzie” thread. This is why so many people have meltdowns and embarrass themselves on here EVERY SEASON. Just vote for your favorites and if Kenzie takes the crown, so be it. If you truly love your favorites, you’ll keep supporting them after the show. 🙂

• Like 4

Just now, Bk1234 said:

I love how this thread has turned into the “how to beat Kenzie” thread. This is why so many people have meltdowns and embarrass themselves on here EVERY SEASON. Just vote for your favorites and if Kenzie takes the crown, so be it. If you truly love your favorites, you’ll keep supporting them after the show. 🙂

I dont think I've ever had meltdowns because whats the point. We already know how the show works, etc. 

I think some people definitely still hold up the thought that you know who might be overtaken by their favorites, and others might already accepted the most likely outcome. We can guess who will most likely be upset.

I'm both a Kenzie supporter, and I also support some of the people that IDF wants to surpass him, like Corey, Pete, Pia, Zania, Cam, etc. I will definitely support some contestants once the show is done, since this season has given us people with plenty to offer.

• Like 2

Honestly I don't care if my favs win or not. I just want to see as much of them on the show as I can. While I do like following post-show careers, to see them perform on that kind of stage is still really special.

• Like 3

I would like to say that IDF in general doesnt care about who wins anymore and just wants to watch their favorites in action but just look at the reaction to Carter winning last season....

The dissappointment for most comes in the playoffs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

You're right about that. We need to view it as "our favourite won" or "our favourite lost" instead of "our favourite beat ___" or "our favourite got beat by __"

Like, when Kimberly Nichole lost, people viewed it as "India Carney beat Kimberly", and then India got attacked by some of Kimberly's fans for something that wasn't even her fault.

Focus on who you like, and not on who they beat or who beat them. We don't have to push other contestants down to raise ours up.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

I would like to say that IDF in general doesnt care about who wins anymore and just wants to watch their favorites in action but just look at the reaction to Carter winning last season....

Not a fan of Kenzie (he could become my least favorite winner actually) but can’t wait for people’s reactions :wub:

28 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

If you truly love your favorites, you’ll keep supporting them after the show. 🙂

Many people love these contestants, but for the “singing competition” aspect. That’s why they rage when they get cut but after the show they don’t care anymore.

People root for them, they get mad after their elimination, but then they remember they will probably get another contestant similar to them next season, and the cycle starts again.

6 hours ago, Misirlou said:

The dissappointment for most comes in the playoffs.

Yeah, people lose hope when their favorite doesn't get the PV or gets eliminated.

FWIW, I was really sad S18 when Allegra was eliminated, but for some reason in S19 when Cami was eliminated, I didn't feel much lol. I think I just expected it, and she said herself she was fine with it, so there was no reason to be upset/sad anyway.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, British Man said:

You're right about that. We need to view it as "our favourite won" or "our favourite lost" instead of "our favourite beat ___" or "our favourite got beat by __"

Like, when Kimberly Nichole lost, people viewed it as "India Carney beat Kimberly", and then India got attacked by some of Kimberly's fans for something that wasn't even her fault.

Focus on who you like, and not on who they beat or who beat them. We don't have to push other contestants down to raise ours up.

Totally agreed! I really appreciate your levelheaded and well-thought-out contributions to these conversations. 

1 minute ago, QueenCami said:

in S19 when Cami was eliminated, I didn't feel much lol. I think I just expected it, and she said herself she was fine with it, so there was no reason to be upset/sad anyway.

Same. Maybe it’s because I was expecting it and prepared myself for it. 

• Sad 2