The Voice General Discussion Thread 🧵

istersay

44 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

Also, I just brought that up because I remember some people mentioning that Alisan turned slightly country near the end of her run - I agree, she was definitely not a country singer on the show.

I only remember her singing Angel From Montgomery as her SF duet, and Let Him Fly but I don’t think Patty Griffin is country (actually I’m not even sure AFM is country either lmao)

52 minutes ago, AliXRose said:

I only remember her singing Angel From Montgomery as her SF duet, and Let Him Fly but I don’t think Patty Griffin is country (actually I’m not even sure AFM is country either lmao)

AFM is country, and her celebrity duet was with Jennifer Nettles (country as well). She was all over the place in terms of genre (which is why I loved her run as much as I did)

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

She turned country a couple years after the show. Honestly, I like her more as a country singer. 

Not a country fan but I agree (I like her best singing folk/singer-songwriter stuff, but country is much closer to that than pop)

This is my favorite from her (shameless plug)

Edited by Daillon

1 hour ago, QueenCami said:

Wow, that's shocking. 

Also, I just brought that up because I remember some people mentioning that Alisan turned slightly country near the end of her run - I agree, she was definitely not a country singer on the show.

She did Angel from Montgomery with Adam W, who is a country singer. She did "Desperado" as well, which many mistake as country because several country artists have performed it,  but is a actually soft rock I´d say.

She stepped out of her comfort zone a bit on the show, but at the end of the day, if I had to classify her there, she was definitely a pop singer on the show. 

^
I understand, but Addison sang AFM and Humble and Kind, yet I don’t see anyone calling her a country singer. Brynn sang a Rascal Flatts song in a country style. Lots of non-country artists sing country songs on the show. Sometimes it works, but it can be seen as pandering too. 

The reason I prefer Alisan as a country singer is because I’m not a fan of her upper register/belting.   On her country album, she doesn’t do that. 

Edited by TeamAudra

3 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

To take it a step further, only 4 have made a finale. 

Danielle

Emily Ann

Spensha

Chevel 

That’s it. 

Cassadee’s genre on the show is debatable. Alisan’s is not. 

What about Lauren?  Shouldn't that make five?

• Like 1

For all the talk about “country” on the show, as a fan of female country, it continuously shocks me how few country females actually are brought in for blinds. And even rarer are ones that are truly elite (when you hear their stuff after the spoilers you go, oh yeah, they’re a big threat). 

and yes, Lauren 100% counts and makes 5 even without debating cassadee 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, seak05 said:

For all the talk about “country” on the show, as a fan of female country, it continuously shocks me how few country females actually are brought in for blinds. And even rarer are ones that are truly elite (when you hear their stuff after the spoilers you go, oh yeah, they’re a big threat). 

and yes, Lauren 100% counts and makes 5 even without debating cassadee 

I was talking about this with another user the other day. There have been far too few country females on the show. Not because they don't exist, they just seem to push country males more. The last one that I think truly made a strong impression from the beginning was Lauren (although yes, Chevel did grow throughout the show and pulled off a deserving win). We get 1-2 country/country-adjacent females each season since season 16 and I believe the only one that's made the top 12/9 since then is Bailey Rae. Not Taryn, not Rebecca, not Gracee - Bailey Rae. Season 20 feels like the only season in a while that has the right amount/balance of country/country-country adjacent males, because all the other seasons were just completely stacked with (more often than not) mediocre country guys.

I believe season 15 had a TON of country females and barely any of them got to audition or got to turn. Seems like they gave up on casting them since then.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

We get 1-2 country/country-adjacent females each season since season 16 and I believe the only one that's made the top 12/9 since then is Bailey Rae. Not Taryn, not Rebecca, not Gracee - Bailey Rae.

Well, damn, I feel your pain, brother lol.

And the funny thing is that,she made it far because she was on Team Legend out of all the teams lol. As his first pure country artist, there wasn´t any way that he was gonna let go of her (even though she lost both her battle and KO in my opinion). She wouldn´t have gone past Jim and Ian had she been on Team Blake, and judging by Kelly preferring both of her opponents in the respective rounds , it is possible that she would have dumped her too.

Edited by Misirlou

27 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

I was talking about this with another user the other day. There have been far too few country females on the show. Not because they don't exist, they just seem to push country males more. The last one that I think truly made a strong impression from the beginning was Lauren (although yes, Chevel did grow throughout the show and pulled off a deserving win). We get 1-2 country/country-adjacent females each season since season 16 and I believe the only one that's made the top 12/9 since then is Bailey Rae. Not Taryn, not Rebecca, not Gracee - Bailey Rae. Season 20 feels like the only season in a while that has the right amount/balance of country/country-country adjacent males, because all the other seasons were just completely stacked with (more often than not) mediocre country guys.

I believe season 15 had a TON of country females and barely any of them got to audition or got to turn. Seems like they gave up on casting them since then.

Casting is definitely one problem, but I think the weakest link in the whole thing is Blake.  He used to keep both country guys and girls on his team.  But in recent seasons, he's tossed out his country girls willy-nilly in favor of his country guys.  He started with that in season fifteen, and he's only gotten worse since then.  Now it's nigh on impossible to survive on his team long if you're a country girl.

However, the country girls themselves are also the problem.  Anyone who wants to survive really should dash headlong to any of the other non-Blake coaches' teams, since they'd have a better shot of standing out there and sticking around.  Kelly, in particular, would know just what to do with them if she's an option.  But because Blake is "the country coach," they keep choosing him, and then end up getting the short end of the stick when he just drops them in the Battles.  It's totally lame of Blake to do that, but the country girls who pick him nowadays have no one to blame but themselves.

Bailey was the safest she could've been with John instead of Blake.  I doubt that she makes the semifinals last season if Blake had had room and turned, and she picked him.  He would've dropped her posthaste in the Battles.  And even though he did save Taryn and Emma, he certainly didn't pick the former to continue on after the Playoffs, and I definitely doubt that he'll save the latter, either.

30 minutes ago, Rodney said:

Casting is definitely one problem, but I think the weakest link in the whole thing is Blake.  He used to keep both country guys and girls on his team.  But in recent seasons, he's tossed out his country girls willy-nilly in favor of his country guys.  He started with that in season fifteen, and he's only gotten worse since then.  Now it's nigh on impossible to survive on his team long if you're a country girl.

I mean Blake saved WTW, who are all country females....

Of the country females he's dumped for guys, which deserved to win? He was blocked from Mary Beth (who then left country on team John). I wish he hadn't paired Taryn and WTW against each other (and wish he'd chosen Taryn as the winner), but the two country females are also an obvious pairing. 

Leaving aside coaches, I can't remember the last country female I was really excited about after hearing the blind, that's the big problem, and it comes down to casting. Your argument seems to boil down to, Blake should choose mediocre country female singers, just because they're country females, regardless of who was the better vocalist. Personally, I would prefer strong country female vocalists who don't need coach charity to move on. 

Edited by seak05
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rodney said:

However, the country girls themselves are also the problem.  Anyone who wants to survive really should dash headlong to any of the other non-Blake coaches' teams, since they'd have a better shot of standing out there and sticking around.  Kelly, in particular, would know just what to do with them if she's an option.  But because Blake is "the country coach," they keep choosing him, and then end up getting the short end of the stick when he just drops them in the Battles.  It's totally lame of Blake to do that, but the country girls who pick him nowadays have no one to blame but themselves.

Bailey was the safest she could've been with John instead of Blake.  I doubt that she makes the semifinals last season if Blake had had room and turned, and she picked him.  He would've dropped her posthaste in the Battles.  And even though he did save Taryn and Emma, he certainly didn't pick the former to continue on after the Playoffs, and I definitely doubt that he'll save the latter, either.

It would've been interesting to see how things had differed if Blake picked Taryn over Worth the Wait in battles (I liked WTW more than others on IDF did, but Taryn hands down won that battle). It probably would've shifted how he paired his KO team, the producers might've been more generous to her and Blake could've taken her to lives. The quality of her last 2 performances could've been different, too. I don't know. I just think Taryn had the most potential in recent memory and she was dealt a poor hand by the producers.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

It would've been interesting to see how things had differed if Blake picked Taryn over Worth the Wait in battles (I liked WTW more than others on IDF did, but Taryn hands down won that battle). It probably would've shifted how he paired his KO team, the producers might've been more generous to her and Blake could've taken her to lives. The quality of her last 2 performances could've been different, too. I don't know. I just think Taryn had the most potential in recent memory and she was dealt a poor hand by the producers.

If it were Taryn vs. Ben and they gave the same performances they did, I would have preferred that Ben move on and Taryn be eliminated (and this would leave a steal open for Marisa). I wouldn't mind Taryn being saved, though.

Edited by QueenCami

4 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

Possibly, but keep in mind that Taryn’s voice was affected by smoke fumes when Knockouts were filmed. If she delivered a poor KO performance because of that, I have doubts that Blake would have picked her. 

Edited by Bk1234
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

If it were Taryn vs. Ben and they gave the same performances they did, I would have preferred that Ben move on and Taryn be eliminated (and this would leave a steal open for Marisa). I wouldn't mind Taryn being saved, though.

Imagine how much drama could've been avoided if Gwen hadn't used her steal on Ben and saved it for Marisa. I believe a source said that she would've stolen her had she had the opportunity. :haha:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

Possibly, but keep in mind that Taryn’s voice was affected by smoke fumes when Knockouts were filmed. If she delivered a poor KO performance because of that, I have doubts that Blake would have picked her. 

yeah, I was excited about Taryn, and think she got a bit of a raw deal in the battle, but unfortunately by the time KO's and lives rolled around her voice wasn't at its best, and I think she would've had a hard time advancing regardless. 

1 minute ago, Someone648 said:

Imagine how much drama could've been avoided if Gwen hadn't used her steal on Ben and saved it for Marisa. I believe a source said that she would've stolen her had she had the opportunity. :haha:

Yes, a source did say that, which is why I brought it up. I wonder if the drama would just be postponed to when Cami got the CS in the Playoffs, or if Marisa would take it (I wouldn't mind).

I think Taryn definitely won the battle, but eventually the show just wasn´t for her. I don´t know if she lost confidence because Blake didn´t pick her in the battle, or her losing her voice in the California flames, by overworking herself because clearly being on the show meant a great deal for her (She cried when they released a promo featuring her). 

Either way, she happens to be like Raine and Jordan from this season in the sense that they have experience performing live, but are not cut out for reality tv.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

I posted more specific details in her fan thread, but while Taryn is grateful for the experience, I don’t think she knew exactly what she was getting into by auditioning and actually getting on the show. ☕️ 

She expected Blake to continue supporting her after the show, perhaps.

Blake has been 10 years on that chair, and he has done a lot for his contestants throughout the course of the show (Featuring in songs, tours, have them sing at Ol´Red, supporting their music, and even paying for appartments in his first year). Those days are long gone. (Although he is actually featuring on Ian Flanigan´s new song).

Kelly is fresher to this, she has only been 3 years on the show now, hence she tends to help a lot more nowadays. Not to mention now she´s got an even bigger platform, which is her talk show. (Kelly never flopped or lost popularity before joining the show, but I swear the girl is now omniprescent when it comes to NBC aka Nothing But Clarkson lol). Also, overall she does seem more engaged and enthusiastic about the show in general than Blake does nowadays. The cowboy is jaded.

Edited by Misirlou
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Misirlou said:

She expected Blake to continue supporting her after the show, perhaps.

Blake has been 10 years on that chair, and he has done a lot for his contestants throughout the course of the show (Featuring in songs, tours, have them sing at Ol´Red, supporting their music, and even paying for appartments in his first year). Those days are long gone. (Although he is actually featuring on Ian Flanigan´s new song).

Kelly is fresher to this, she has only been 3 years on the show now, hence she tends to help a lot more nowadays. Not to mention now she´s got an even bigger platform, which is her talk show. (Kelly never flopped or lost popularity before joining the show, but I swear the girl is now omniprescent when it comes to NBC aka Nothing But Clarkson lol). Also, overall she does seem more engaged and enthusiastic about the show in general than Blake does nowadays. The cowboy is jaded.

That's definitely part of it.