The Voice vs. American Idol

Raquel01

something i'm interested to hear people's thoughts on:

does anybody have any theories as to why Idol contestants (specifically the women) have significantly stronger Instagram engagement than The Voice contestants? Emmy has gone from around 30k to 102k, McKenna has gone from around 35k to 110k, Abi has gone from less than 1k to 107k, etc (per InsTrack). Meanwhile none of The Voice contestants this season have touched that type of growth. This is a pattern I've noticed for years now between the two shows, but I'm now interested to hear others thoughts. 

32 minutes ago, m1key said:

does anybody have any theories as to why Idol contestants (specifically the women) have significantly stronger Instagram engagement than The Voice contestants? Emmy has gone from around 30k to 102k, McKenna has gone from around 35k to 110k, Abi has gone from less than 1k to 107k, etc (per InsTrack). Meanwhile none of The Voice contestants this season have touched that type of growth. This is a pattern I've noticed for years now between the two shows, but I'm now interested to hear others thoughts. 

Maybe age demographic and AI doing a better job of making you care for the contestants with their backstories. Not that The Voice doesn't do that, but AI is really heavy handed with it

1 hour ago, m1key said:

Idol does a much better job of promoting their contestants than The Voice does. The Voice only cares about their coaches.

• Like 7

Just now, m1key said:

Ruby, who went insanely viral, has yet to reach 100k followers on Instagram. I think what QueenKalie said is 100% the reason. That has to be the reason, because how can someone who got millions of likes on videos on TikTok and 100s of thousands on Instagram haven't crossed the 100k mark yet?

9 hours ago, QueenKalie said:

Idol does a much better job of promoting their contestants than The Voice does. The Voice only cares about their coaches.

What specifically are they doing? If you are a casual viewer who only watches the actual aired product (not a member of an online forum), what is making you follow an Idol singer, but not follow a Voice singer, on a social media platform?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

What specifically are they doing? If you are a casual viewer who only watches the actual aired product (not a member of an online forum), what is making you follow an Idol singer, but not follow a Voice singer, on a social media platform?

Yeah this is what I meant. Like what is the psychology behind why viewers do this? Because in reality The Voice typically has just as many viral contestants (some who get more views on their blinds than Idol contestant) but nothing ever comes of that. I get the coach prioritization idea, but there is definitely more to it. 

Idol is much more aggressive on social media. They post a lot more about about the contestants, tagging them, etc. The Voice posts more about the coaches, and less frequently in general. It’s up to the contestants to keep those “followers” engaged. That’s easier said than done. 

2 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Idol is much more aggressive on social media. They post a lot more about about the contestants, tagging them, etc. The Voice posts more about the coaches, and less frequently in general. It’s up to the contestants to keep those “followers” engaged. That’s easier said than done. 

But if you aren’t already following Idol itself on social media, you aren’t going to see any of that. 

ETA: I just checked and the Voice FB page has more likes and followers than the Idol FB page. 

If you are just tuning into the 2 (or 3) hour program, what are you getting that’s different between the two shows?

Edited by AngelaKD

3 hours ago, AngelaKD said:

They feature the contestants in the episode a lot more on Idol. So you become far more invested in them and you want to see that person succeed. Where as on the voice yeah they do have packages but ultimately most of the casuals aren't voting for a contestant they are voting for a coach's team so their attachment is transferred to the coach instead contestant. 

9 hours ago, QueenKalie said:

They feature the contestants in the episode a lot more on Idol. So you become far more invested in them and you want to see that person succeed. Where as on the voice yeah they do have packages but ultimately most of the casuals aren't voting for a contestant they are voting for a coach's team so their attachment is transferred to the coach instead contestant. 

Yes, many vote for their favorite coach’s contestants, which might also have something to do with the lower follower numbers. If you don’t like the coach, you’re probably less likely to follow those contestants. It’s a terrible format for the contestants, but great for the coaches and NBC. 

13 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Idol’s T14 was better than most TV top 12/13 live shows I can recall. There was really only one “bad” performance. Another contestant was sick, and wasn’t on her A game. 

This season of AI has been great. I remember when i tried to watch S20, which was aired when The Voice was on hiatus, and uff, it was pretty bad. It didn't help that it happened after The Voice had one of their last extremely talented seasons with S21. That season of Idol made me want to never watch that show again but it has redeemed succesfuly with these last two seasons (particulary this one).

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

This season of AI has been great. I remember when i tried to watch S20, which was aired when The Voice was on hiatus, and uff, it was pretty bad. It didn't help that it happened after The Voice had one of their last extremely talented seasons with S21. That season of Idol made me want to never watch that show again but it has redeemed succesfuly with these last two seasons (particulary this one).

Yeah, I’ve never sat through an entire season of AI until now, but I can honestly say I like that show better than TV, and the primary reason is that it’s much more contestant friendly. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 2

257 Guests on the board right now, having both shows on makes a real difference but having the same night doesn't do the ratings any good

last monday ratings

image.png.647e6a59ea539beaa12236aef2637524.png

I got two of my favorite contestants from both shows to sing one of my favorite songs from my favorite artist. Nice. 

I think Abi was technically better but there is a raw quality about Anya's voice that made her cover feel more vulnerable, which i enjoyed. With that said, between the two, i would pick Abi's cover, but i loved both, it would be really close.  

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 3

Just now, QueenKalie said:

Switch out Jack and Abi for KB and Emmy and Maddie Jane for Zoe and I'm 100% with you. 😂

Ok, I love KB and Emmy too so I can get behind that :yes: I heard Zoe’s Playoffs performance was good - I wasn’t too interested in her earlier stuff tho.

On 4/26/2024 at 12:48 PM, Bk1234 said:

This is one of my favorite seasons of Idol. So many favorites… from Abi to Mia to McKenna to Jack… I’m really only invested in Maddi Jane on the Voice. 😭

Good news for you.... Maddi finally had her breakout moment! ❤️ 

• Like 1

Which show was most enjoyable between AI22 & TV25 was a conversation at one point but right now in terms of entertainment they're not even comparable. AI has turned into countryfest as every season does, meanwhile The Voice has just been getting stronger & stronger.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1