American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown

Alex95

36 minutes ago, Elliott said:

@Alex95 Andrew and I are still driving back from Nashville (just stopped for dinner) so we may need an extension until the morning since we won't be home until midnight.

That’s fine I’m absolutely not staying up till midnight to do the first update

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

i assume this is taking so long because of all the people LIKE ME who mixed up "Chasing After You" and "Chasin' You" when they typed in "Mike Parker Chasing" into the youtube search

A combination of that, work being busy, and a lot of y’all doing comments (which I 100% appreciate but makes updates take longer)

1 minute ago, Alex95 said:

A combination of that, work being busy, and a lot of y’all doing comments (which I 100% appreciate but makes updates take longer)

LOL I hope you know I wasn't shaming you! You should take as long as you need and even longer!

20. Cadence Baker "Something's Got a Hold on Me"

1Xuw5iy.png

14.4/20

Watch Here

@QueenKalie - 1/20

@Zoey - 3/20

@Crisis - 9/20

@jarmon - 9/20

@taylorkat - 13/20

@*Diana - 13/20

@*Chris - 15/20

@FrogLenzen - 15/20

@*Wallace - 15/20

@Alex95 - 15/20

@*Amanda - 16/20

@1234567890 - 16/20

@Elliott - 16/20

@sublymonal - 17/20

@totes4totes - 18/20

@Solaris - 19/20

@rdhaley96 - 19/20

@NGM - 19/20

@Steven_ - 19/20

@hayden98 - 20/20

Crisis

While there were some visible nerves and she ran out of steam some towards the end, this was a solid take on an extremely difficult song to sing. She had some really impressive vocal parts. Unfortunately, she regressed badly in her following two performances.

Akshar

Cadence finally lived up to her audition with this performance! It was everything we needed and some more!! She has to be one of the most prettiest girls Idol has had in a while and I was so glad she was able to sing well. Such a shame she was sent home early.

Derek

oh wow, I forgot about her. This wasn't awful. Started strong, but didn't really go anywhere once it got to the uptempo part.

Wally

IMO Cadence only did two notably great things on her run - which were her audition and this performance. I felt Cadence had great potential and a good voice but often times, I felt she chose songs too big for her vocal range. Cadence's "Something's Got a Hold on Me" was very good, and I think it was a good Top 30/35 of the season performance. I'm not sure if it's quite a Top 20 type performance for me, but oh well.   I do think the opening a capella section of the performance was great and really gorgeous. She sounded beautiful there. The uptempo part was a lot of fun. She had good stage presence and sounded very good throughout here. I think Cadence did showcase her potentially really well here so it's a shame her other performances didn't quite match this.

Alex

Another example in a long list of contestants Idol casts too young. She clearly has a lot of potential and this is a very solid effort. She loses steam halfway through, but I'd be curious to hear her again in a few years.

Megan

TERRIBLE outfit. I'm sorry. I could not get past that.

Sola

who dis?

Richard

Cute, but not particularly distinctive. Her voice is good, but it’s a dime a dozen. She ended the performance well, at least.

Steven

I liked the beginning part of the performance, but the rest was just okay.

19. Ava Maybee "Tell Me Something Good"

hfqKSxp.png

14.3/20

Watch Here

@Zoey - 6/20

@*Diana - 6/20

@sublymonal - 8/20

@QueenKalie - 8/20

@jarmon - 10/20

@Alex95 - 11/20

@Solaris - 12/20

@hayden98 - 13/20

@Elliott - 13/20

@rdhaley96 - 14/20

@1234567890 - 15/20

@NGM - 16/20

@*Amanda - 17/20

@Crisis - 18/20

@*Chris - 19/20

@FrogLenzen - 19/20

@taylorkat - 20/20

@totes4totes - 20/20

@*Wallace - 20/20

@Steven_ - 20/20

Akshar

Love everything about this unexpected song choice for Ava that she absolutely smashed!

Alex

Ava had a lot of potential and I wish she lasted longer. This wasn't one of my favorite performances from her, but it was good. She needed more soul to really pull it off.

Sola

ugly yellow eye shadow, but great performance

Richard

It was good. I’ve definitely heard better covers of this song (Ali Caldwell, anyone?), but I like that she played into the vibe and seemed comfortable on stage.

Crisis

While Ava had the attitude, she didn't have the vocal ability the song required. It's one I wanted to like more than I did.

Derek

contrived. She doesn't have enough vocal range to play around in this song like she should. Just gets stuck around A♭ and stays there like she accomplished something. tbh I tried to get rid of all of Ava and didn't quite make it.

Megan

I actively did not like this. Which was surprising to me considering how much I enjoyed her Harry Styles cover.

Wally

I think Ava is quite talented and she certainly deserved to last a little longer on the show. Her performance "Tell Me Something Good" was my least favorite performance of hers and one of the few performances I could have done without making it here. :ph34rwave: I thought this was good but I would have much preferred having "Anyone" here over this (as that was my favorite performance of Ava's). I know I am in the unpopular opinion here so oh well. I do like the funky vibe of this performance but I wasn't crazy about her tone or how she sang the song for the most part. I think she was doing a little too much and I dunno, it didn't completely work for me. There were some good moments but I guess this is a performance I missed the buzz on?

Steven

This was fine. She did well, but it's not one of the most memorable performances here.

18. Mike Parker "Chasing After You"

ju3XJlG.png

13.4/20

Watch Here

@Steven_ - 2/20

@QueenKalie - 5/20

@Zoey - 5/20

@jarmon - 7/20

@sublymonal - 12/20

@Solaris - 13/20

@rdhaley96 - 13/20

@FrogLenzen - 13/20

@Crisis - 14/20

@totes4totes - 14/20

@1234567890 - 14/20

@Elliott - 14/20

@hayden98 - 15/20

@*Chris - 17/20

@taylorkat - 17/20

@*Diana - 17/20

@NGM - 18/20

@*Amanda - 19/20

@*Wallace - 19/20

@Alex95 - 19/20

Steven

I'm glad Mike managed to have at least one performance in this Top 20. Although I prefer "Hurricane," he did well with "Chasing After You" too. I liked what he did with the song, and he's a contestant I would've liked to have seen make it further than he did.

Akshar

Mike made me realize what a mistake I made in the Country Songs Rankdown with my ranking of this song. It's such a wonderful song and Mike's cover was SO SOOTHING AND GORGEOUS! Absolutely loved everything about it and so glad it made the Top 20. 

Sola

his best!

Richard

He has a really self-assured presence on stage that makes him stand out. I feel like this was a bit safe vocally, but he’s definitely a great talent.

Derek

he squeezed as much as possible out of this song. No notes on the musical choices he made but this is still just Not For Me.

Crisis

Mike had my favorite voice of the season despite him trying too hard to be country. With that said, I would have either Bed on Fire or Hurricane here. At least the better of his two remaining performances made it to the finals.

Megan

This got moved up AFTER I realized it wasn't his Morgan Wallen cover. This is a fine cover but I'm not really willing to move it up higher than some of the other songs.

Wally

I enjoyed Mike during his run, although being totally honest, I liked him most with his audition and first Hollywood solo performance, both of which I thought were great. I do think he struggled a bit during the live shows as I felt some of his song choices weren't the best fits for him. "Chasing After You" was a good and enjoyable performance, but not one of my favorites of Mike's. I would have preferred having "You'll Be In My Heart" or "Hurricane" here instead, or maybe even "Chasin' You."

Alex

Honestly what the hell was Mike thinking singing "Chasin' You" and "Chasing After You" in one season??? Did he want to make my life difficult??? I was able to correct two people who submitted comments that they listened to the wrong performance, I wonder how many more who did not comment made the same mistake :dead:. Anyways, this was fine enough I guess but to the surprise of no one not something I'd ever want to listen to again. I think Mike is a lot more talented and interesting than Noah so I find it very inch resting that public rallied behind Noah & Huntergirl as opposed to Mike (though come on we all know why)

17. Katyrah Love "Blame It on the Boogie"

hy0aTlN.png

12.7/20

Watch Here

@totes4totes - 4/20

@Crisis - 5/20

@sublymonal - 6/20

@Zoey - 7/20

@Elliott - 7/20

@Steven_ - 9/20

@NGM - 10/20

@Solaris - 11/20

@rdhaley96 - 11/20

@FrogLenzen - 11/20

@Alex95 - 13/20

@*Wallace - 14/20

@hayden98 - 16/20

@1234567890 - 17/20

@*Chris - 18/20

@QueenKalie - 18/20

@jarmon - 18/20

@taylorkat - 19/20

@*Amanda - 20/20

@*Diana - 20/20

Megan

PHENOMENAL. UNDERRATED. KATYRAH IS A QUEEN.

Crisis

I didn't expect this to make the finals, but I am not complaining. Katyrah had a strong performance with both the vocals and stage presence. She looked like she'd been performing on stage for decades. It's my favorite performance of the Hawaii round.

Steven

I liked Katyrah and thought she had a lot of potential. She had better stage presence than people who made it a lot further than her. 

Sola

I really liked this performance, it’s a shame her next performance was not great as she should have been Top 14.

Richard

I love her tone, and this was overall a fun and very natural performance. It reminded me a bit of Stephanie Edwards from season 6, and it’s kind of the energy I wish Stephanie would’ve tapped into more herself on the show.

Derek

fun and natural and showed off her voice. Not super groundbreaking, but solid and made me want to hear more from her

Alex

A very confident and self-assured performance! I would've loved to see more from Katyrah in the competition, it's a shame she got booted so early.

Wally

I was very surprised seeing Katyrah's performance of “Blame It on the Boogie” making it through to the finals. I remember questioning and being unsure of this song choice but Katyrah did impress me and delivered a great performance here. This was really fun, entertaining where she got to showcase great stage presence and strong vocals to match it. With this song choice, it could have come off as karaoke/gimmicky but Katyrah did so much more than that and made it into a fun contemporary performance. I love the energy and vibe she gives off here, as this is a performance that makes me so happy. :bobo: Katyrah is someone who deserved better on the show so it's nice that her best performance got to make it here.

Akshar

I have to say, I wasn't really happy with this advancement to the Top 20 but upon my re-listen, Katyrah kinda did eat with this performance. It was fun!

16. Christian Guardino "Dear God"

FYw7KHc.png

12.4/20

Watch Here

@FrogLenzen - 1/20

@Zoey - 2/20

@Crisis - 3/20

@taylorkat - 4/20

@Steven_ - 5/20

@rdhaley96 - 7/20

@*Wallace - 7/20

@1234567890 - 8/20

@Solaris - 14/20

@Alex95 - 14/20

@totes4totes - 17/20

@NGM - 17/20

@sublymonal - 18/20

@*Amanda - 18/20

@hayden98 - 18/20

@*Diana - 18/20

@Elliott - 18/20

@QueenKalie - 19/20

@*Chris - 20/20

@jarmon - 20/20

Derek

I'm not religious whatsoever but this song made Jesus materialize in my living room and choke slam me onto the floor. A vocal masterclass. You can tell he has sung this song 1000000000x and just knows it inside and out and feels it so hard. Thank you Gigi for allowing me to advance this because it definitely would have been cut. I don't expect this to do well at all so I better give it my highest score

Crisis

Two of the biggest complaints about Christian was his propensity to oversing and not connecting to his songs (I've certainly had my fair share of complaints during the season). Dear God addressed the latter because it was the most connected he was to a song all season. He did oversing it, but it's a Gospel song and oversinging is normal in that genre. It was his best performance of the season and a strong one to go out on.

Steven

Christian delivered very strong vocals with this one. This was really good.

Richard

I’m not religious, but I think this performance had so much potential to be one of the all-time great moments. Had he reined in the runs a bit and kept the backing arrangement more minimal, this probably would have ranked in my top 5. All that said, he’s clearly a fantastic and passionate singer.

Wally

I think Christian is really underrated and under-appreciated on here, but I am glad he managed to get a performance in the finals (through Derek & Gigi). Christian has a great voice but sometimes he made some iffy/questionable song choices that didn't really work for him or his voice. But performances like "Dear God" was where he got it totally right. Okay, I do feel sometimes Christian has a disconnect with his song choices but this was an example of him really connecting to and feeling the right emotion of the song. He poured his heart & soul here. He delivered astonishing and amazing vocals  throughout here. I love the vocal range he showcased! This was an all around amazing performance from Christian. :omg: Danggg at that last note he hit. That was an impressive note! :omg: He sounded fantastic on this gospel song and reallly took it to church here I would love to see this make the Top 15 as it at least deserves that but it'll probably be in the Bottom 3. But yeah I still loved this and think this was one of Christian's best, if not his very best, performance.

Sola

good performance, but I don’t like him yelling at me.

Alex

Christian did A Lot with all his performances. He'd rather show us all the impressive things he can do with his voice than just simply sing a song. Like Crisis said, you can kinda get away with it in gospel music, so Christian does kinda get away with it here. But like, I just don't need to listen to gospel music on Idol unless it's Joshua Ledet.

Akshar

Similar to Jay, this is Christian's best performance without a doubt, he absolutely slayed it. It's just that I found Christian so boring and he was my least favorite of the Top 14, maybe even the Top 20 so I really didn't care for any of his performances but I can acknowledge that this was his best performance but unfortunately it's getting ranked last by me, sorry.

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 20 - 20-16 Posted)
Just now, totes4totes said:

the first time i'm noticing her name is caDENCE and not caNDACE

I had to google literally all the bottom five's names to double check the spelling except the delightfully bland Mike Parker!

• Haha 1

- I'm kinda surprised and kinda not surprised at Cadence's "Something's Got a Hold on Me" coming in at 20th. I agree with most of the comments here. Although lmao Megan's comment cracked me up. :haha:

- I'm cool with Ava's TMSG coming here at 19th here. I'm kinda surprised Megan ranked this one last too as I thought she would have been a fan of hers? I agree with the latter comments of her not having quite the vocal chops to full pull this off.

- Nice performance from Mike, but also okay with his CAY coming in at 18th. I thought he had stronger performances than this one. OMGG I'm LMAO'ing at Alex's comments with the song confusion and I do wonder how many people messed that up. :dead: I thought of that too but did watch/rank the right performance. :lmao:

- I'm still shook this Katyrah performance made it here. Wasn't expecting it to do too well so I am pleased this beat out some of my lower ranked performances to get 17th. Agreed with the comments on her stage presence and the potential/fun she had here and wanting to see more from her.

- Well I'm glad Christian's Dear God managed to make it to 16th as I feared he would this would have been lower. But lmaoo these rankings are not too surprising - all of his ranks come in #1 through #8 (8 of them) and then the rest come at #17 through #20 (10 of them). Kinda crazy how he doesn't have anything in the middle range at all. :lmao: Well the two #14s could be middle'ish, actually. Omgg Derek's comments had me..... :dead: And at least Akshar can give him props/credit on this performance even with the last ranking. :haha:

27 minutes ago, Solaris said:

and no one is surprised by this set

In a nutshell. :haha: 

13 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

ah man, my #1 almost saved him from the first set!!! 

Aww I was hoping for it to escape the last set too. :(