@taylorkat - 16/20

@*Diana - 16/20

@Solaris - 18/20

@Steven_ - 18/20

@1234567890 - 19/20

@hayden98 - 19/20

@jarmon - 19/20

Crisis

After listening to everything, Waves emerged as my favorite Fritz performance. While I don't think he sounded as strong as Dean Lewis, he gave a convincing performance despite it ending somewhat on an abrupt note.

Derek

he gets a little melodramatic here but it's a refreshing song choice and performance

Alex

Fritz verges on basic at times (I know Wonderwall is many's favorite from him but I'm so glad that got cut because it doesn't get more basic than a WGWG singing Wonderwall). However, this was a great song choice and a very authentic performance!

Richard

I feel like I should love this more than I do. He definitely brought it home in the last 30 seconds, but I found the rest of the performance unremarkable, even though he’s definitely talented.

Wally

I thought "Waves" was a pretty good first performance from Fritz. I feel like I'm saying this with all of my lower end performances, but based on Fritz's run, this isn't one of my top favorites from him. I did enjoy this but it's probably around the middle'ish for me from his run. I would preferred having "Golden," "Let It Go" and/or "Wonderwall" all here over this performance.  But I do think this was solid from him. I do like the emotion he pours into the song and he does showcase some good vocal range here too. I like how he starts the performance off slowly and builds it up. It actually got really fun like some jam session kind of thing. So yeah this was a cool performance to start of Fritz's run.

Sola

it was good but nothing exciting.

Steven

This wasn't bad. It's not a performance I would care to watch again, but I didn't dislike it either.

Akshar

I was so glad to see Dean Lewis getting some recognition because this song is fantastic. Y'all should listen to his song "7 Minutes". Back to Fritz now, he did a good job with this song but there's sooo many other performances of Fritz's that I preferred over this specific one.

14. Nicolina "Light in the Hallway"

oCe86Sy.png

11.8/20

Watch Here

@taylorkat - 3/20

@Solaris - 4/20

@rdhaley96 - 6/20

@1234567890 - 7/20

@hayden98 - 7/20

@*Wallace - 9/20

@Crisis - 10/20

@NGM - 11/20

@Steven_ - 11/20

@totes4totes - 12/20

@Zoey - 12/20

@sublymonal - 13/20

@*Amanda - 13/20

@*Chris - 14/20

@QueenKalie - 15/20

@jarmon - 15/20

@Alex95 - 17/20

@FrogLenzen - 18/20

@*Diana - 19/20

@Elliott - 19/20

Sola

inspired song choice and brilliantly sung!

Richard

This was a bit of a different performance for her, and I liked that. She kept it very close to her chest, not really ever going for those big moments, but I feel like that worked for her. I would’ve perhaps liked to see her break out a bit more near the end, but all in all, she did a fantastic job.

Wally

"Light in the Hallway" was a really beautiful and moving performance from Nicolina. While I do love this performance from Nicolina, I would have preferred a few others to have made it here over this one such as "Hallelujah" and "All I Ask" (one of the hardest cuts for me this round :broken: ) - and maybe even "Elastic Heart." Even though I didn't know this song, I thought Nicolina gave a captivating and classy performance here. She put a lot of raw emotion and vulnerability into the performance. Her vocals were really beautiful and stunning too. I love the vocal range she showcased here from lower notes, falsetto notes, rangier bigger notes, etc. She really delivered and had it all here. :omg: This is also one of those performances I forgot how good it is and how much I love it until rewatching it. Hopefully others may feel the same.

Crisis

I'm glad this made it because it's my second favorite Nicolina performance. Singing a song by an a cappella group was intriguing because of what the arrangement would be like. Regardless, she sounded great here.

Steven

Lovely performance from Nicolina. I enjoyed this one.

Akshar

Such an emotional performance from Nicolina. It is definitely one of her better performances, its just that I love so many songs in this Top 20 that it falls down this low in my rankings.

Alex

Nicolina is clearly a very talented singer, but I frequently found myself feeling cold after a lot of her performances. On paper, this song really should've been a moment for her, but she seemed very disconnected from the song. I was genuinely surprised that she was in tears by the end because I had no idea she was ever actually connecting with the song. This performance just didn't go anywhere for me, which is a shame because I wanted to like it.

Derek

okay so Light in the Hallway is one of my favorite songs of all time and feel free to play it at my funeral. Scott taking the bass line so Avi can do the solo... wow. But most of the magic from this song comes from the insane vocal abilities of Avi and Pentatonix's flawless arrangement and harmonies. Personally I don't think it works as a female solo with the tempo sped up. Also she was a bit melodramatic in the performance. And an amazing part of the song is showing off how you can hold out the "goodnight" note and she just throws it away. Flawless taste in the song choice but I can't rank this high at all

13. Ava Maybee "Cuz I Love You"

hZcewDs.png

11.6/20

Watch Here

@hayden98 - 3/20

@Zoey - 4/20

@jarmon - 4/20

@Alex95 - 5/20

@sublymonal - 7/20

@Solaris - 8/20

@*Diana - 10/20

@*Wallace - 11/20

@QueenKalie - 12/20

@Elliott - 12/20

@totes4totes - 13/20

@1234567890 - 13/20

@NGM - 13/20

@Steven_ - 13/20

@*Amanda - 14/20

@Crisis - 16/20

@*Chris - 16/20

@taylorkat - 18/20

@rdhaley96 - 20/20

@FrogLenzen - 20/20

Akshar

My favorite coming into the Top 24 was AVA! I just absolutely ADORED her personality and I was LIVING FOR HER! She had such a unique raspy voice and I loved it. This was such an amazing performance and I was so glad to hear her singing it, she was fantastic! :wub: She was completely robbed of making the Top 10, no doubt. 

Alex

Very cool song choice, fantastic arrangement, strong belting, solid singing otherwise. Yeah, I loved it!

Sola

fantastic performance.  Robbed!

Wally

"Cuz I Love You" was a really great performance from Ava Maybee. This was my second favorite performance of hers after "Anyone." I thought Ava made a great and clever song choice with this underrated Lizzo song. I love the soul she poured into this song and how she did that big opening of "I'm crying! Cuz I loveee youu" at the start of the song. Then she put in some funky attitude into the verses, which was cool. I do like the parts where she sings and belts out the chorus. She pours so much soul and emotion into those parts of the song. This was an all around strong and impressive performance from Ava!

Steven

This was a much better showing from Ava than "Tell Me Something Good." She sounds good here.

Crisis

The better of the two Ava performances. I thought she was nasal at times, but it wasn't that big of an issue here.

Richard

I wasn’t a fan of this one at all. She was super pitchy throughout, and I found her tone here grating. I didn’t watch much of this season in real time, but was this really one of the top 20 best? I don’t see it. 

Derek

unfortunately I hate pretty much everything about this. not a good arrangement. not enough vocal ability. contrived.

12. Leah Marlene "Wisher to the Well"

YLBxZyw.png

11.3/20

Watch Here

@hayden98 - 1/20

@Alex95 - 3/20

@FrogLenzen - 6/20

@Elliott - 6/20

@taylorkat - 7/20

@totes4totes - 8/20

@*Chris - 10/20

@QueenKalie - 10/20

@*Diana - 11/20

@Crisis - 12/20

@1234567890 - 12/20

@NGM - 12/20

@sublymonal - 15/20

@*Amanda - 15/20

@Zoey - 15/20

@rdhaley96 - 16/20

@jarmon - 16/20

@Solaris - 17/20

@*Wallace - 17/20

@Steven_ - 17/20

Alex

Oof this kinda hurts seeing it as Leah's lowest performance in the top 20. I think this is potentially my favorite Idol original song on the show ever? I've been listening to it on repeat for the past week tbh. Suck a funky and cool song. I suppose this is about the performance and not just the song so I kiiiiiiinda get it, but there's still one or two Leah performances that easily could've been below this :kissbye:

Megan

I didn't realize this was an original song! It's good!

Crisis

This is a performance that grew on me the more I watched it. It's an interesting song to say the least.

Richard

She definitely brought a cool vibe, but the performance overall came across a bit frantic, and her vocal was verging on shrill. I didn’t love this one.

Akshar

I mean Leah's voice is lovely and I think this was an original song of hers? So good for her! She delivered a great performance just not one of my main faves of hers. Wish "Make You Feel My Love" made it over this song tbh.

Sola

I like her but I don’t love this original from her.

Wally

Leah's "Wisher to the Well" was a cool performance from Leah but not one of my top favorites from her. It's probably around the middle/lower end portion of her performances for me? I would have preferred having "When She Loved Me," "Flowers" or "To Make You Feel My Love" in place of this performance. I don't really know this song (OH WAIT, I just remembered this was an original song of hers, that explains it) but I like the fun and joy that Leah had while performing this. She looked comfortable and was having a blast here. The part where she spins and jumps a bit cracks me up. :haha: I do really like those parts where she sings "don't waste my time, just read my mind." That's my favorite part. I initally thought it was one of my lesser favorites from her, but when I rewatched it, it was one of those performances I liked more than I remembered.  Although I still prefer a number of others more.

Steven

Kudos to her for showcasing her artistry. This wasn't her best vocal though.

11. Leah Marlene "I'll Stand by You"

ewthCQC.png

11.2/20

Watch Here

@*Diana - 4/20

@Steven_ - 4/20

@*Amanda - 6/20

@1234567890 - 6/20

@taylorkat - 8/20

@FrogLenzen - 9/20

@QueenKalie - 9/20

@Alex95 - 9/20

@sublymonal - 10/20

@Elliott - 10/20

@jarmon - 11/20

@*Chris - 12/20

@Crisis - 13/20

@*Wallace - 13/20

@NGM - 14/20

@Solaris - 16/20

@totes4totes - 16/20

@hayden98 - 17/20

@rdhaley96 - 18/20

@Zoey - 19/20

Steven

This was my favorite Leah performance of the season. I liked the arrangement, and she delivered with the vocals and emotion.

Derek

it's hard to bring something different and interesting to this song. She tried and almost did it lol

Alex

There were parts of this arrangement that were genius and parts that I found a bit funky. I'd still take Gina and Pia's over Leah's as far as Idol performances go, but this was still a strong showing from Leah overall.

Akshar

What a song choice! I love the way Leah was able to make this song her own version of it which was simply spectacular.

Crisis

While it was disappointing to see Leah not do a song Carrie recorded, she did a fine job with ISBY and had the best performance of the Carrie round.

Wally

"I'll Stand by You" was a very beautiful performance from Leah. This is a performance that kinda conflicts me because I did think Leah was the best and had the biggest standout performance of the Carrie Underwood theme, but I didn't love that she sang a Carrie cover rather than a Carrie original song. But I guess it all worked out for the best? :haha: This was a really stunning and beautiful performance from Leah. She connected beautifully to the song. She was right in the pocket emotionally and vocally speaking here. I do really like how she slowly builds up the song up, like at around the second verse and then how she builds up to the big chorus. Beautiful from Leah! :yes:

Sola

Best performance of a throwaway round of performances.  That’s why it falls so low on my list.

Megan

My least favorite of the Leah songs here. I think I was excited for it because I thought it was actually "Stand By Me" as I was watching this at like 10PM at night, so starting out I was disappointed. But that's ON ME. I also didn't know that Carrie Underwood did a cover of this song. I'll just stick with The Pretenders.

Richard

This was peculiar, and not exactly in a good way. I feel like the timing in particular was very strange and discordant, and if it was intentional, it’s a choice that didn’t work for me. The vocal otherwise was fine, but I just can’t help but compare anyone who sings this song to Pia, and this fell pretty far short of that standard.

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 20 - 15-11 Posted)

- Oooh @Alex95 not sure if it makes too much of a difference, but I believe I had Fritz's "Waves" at #16 rather than #15. Although I looked at my PM with both rankings and I saw I listed this and Cadence's performances at 15 but forgot to fix that with this. My bad there. 🙈 Sorry if that messes up anything - although I'm fine with both at 15th as I felt they were both 15th for me. :haha: But yeah this is a good spot for this performance regardless. I agree with those that mentioned him having better performances. 

- "Light in the Hallway" was gorgeous from Nicolina. I'm good with this being her first performance to show up but I also wish other performances showed up before this one too. I do agree with most of the comments on this one too. Glad that this didn't get any #20s. Hopefully her others can make the Top 10. 

- Good spot for Ava's "Cuz I Love You" but also wish this was higher than a few other performances as well. Fantastic performance from her and Ava at one of her best. I'm glad this was her highest ranked of her 2 performances here.

- "Wisher to the Well" was a very cool performance from Leah but my least fave from her of this Top 12 so I'm good with this showing up here. I do agree with more of the latter rankings comments but still good. Also nice that this didn't have any Bottom 3 ranks either.  

- Ooh I was thinking "I'll Stand by You" would have cracked the Top 10 but I'm also okay with this just missing out at 11th too. Not one of the greatest versions of the song (esp. when mentioning Pia) but still very solid. Fair spot for this performance. Crisis pretty much said all of what I felt here.  :haha:

2 hours ago, Solaris said:

Light in the Hallway and Cuz I Love You are too low!

Those were the two of this set I wished made it a little higher. :(

2 hours ago, jarmon said:

TOP 10:

3 Leah Marlene 

2 Nicolina

2 HunterGirl

1 Jay

1 Fritz

1 Kenedi :wub:

Oooh thanks for posting this. Intriguing stats here. 😮 

36 minutes ago, Elliott said:

If the sole blonde country girl couldn't beat Noah, a second one wouldn't have done any better.

Kenedi also isn't country, sooo odds of her beating Noah would have been even less. She probably would have made the Top 3 (or at least Top 5) though.

18 minutes ago, Elliott said:

she wasn't? :whut:

18 minutes ago, Elliott said:

(did I spend the entire pre-Top 20 rounds thinking of Huntergirl and Kenedi interchangeably and thus I assumed they both were country? Maybe.)

:dead: 

She was pop, with her singing Lady Gaga and Christina Perri. :haha: Can't really remember who she sang in between her audition and final performance but feel they were pop artists/songs, lol.