American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown

Alex95

3 hours ago, Alex95 said:

Unfortunately I've got nothing from @totes4totes and @sublymonal. I'm going out to lunch later today and if I hear nothing from them by the time I get back, I'm gonna have to move on.

i sent them. apologies. i have been busy trying to do FINANCES. tbh listening to 20 season 14 songs would have been LESS PAINFUL

11 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

high quality GIF

i am at the point where i am just putting numbers from one spreadsheet to another spreadsheet and then those numbers to another spreadsheet and then another spreadsheet and then finally an online spreadsheet

really killing my love of spreadsheets.

20. JAX "Piece of My Heart"

YJ9ItLz.png

14.4/20

Watch Here

@*Diana - 3/20

@jarmon - 5/20

@QueenKalie - 5/20

@taylorkat - 5/20

@FrogLenzen - 7/20

@Solaris - 13/20

@*Amanda - 14/20

@Alex95 - 14/20

@totes4totes - 17/20

@*Chris - 17/20

@Elliott - 18/20

@goofycilla90 - 18/20

@JC - 18/20

@Zoey - 19/20

@Steven_ - 19/20

@*Wallace - 19/20

@1234567890 - 19/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 19/20

@hayden98 - 19/20

@sublymonal - 20/20

Derek

questionable diction in the chorus. At least she mostly stays on pitch. 

Alex

Frankly this is a song that never should be sung in competition shows. I still cannot believe Simon told Queen Allison she should've sung this instead of "Cry Baby" after that flawless performance smh. Anyways, this is kinda where I love JAX. Teetering on the verge of disaster, but interesting. I never enjoyed JAX for being the most consistent contestant on the show, but she was the most interesting (especially since the other interesting people were getting picked off one by one). This performance was actually one of her more solid upbeat performances though that never turned disastrous!

Chris

Actually surprised that this one made it to the end as it's one of my lesser favourite of JAX.

Elliott

Offensively terrible.

JC

This poor girl is having an identity crisis every week LOL. One of her better performances of the ones that made the final ranking, which is not saying much, but at least there's that.

Wally

tumblr_nmvijri7sZ1r1p452o1_640.gifv

I was totally expecting to rank this performance last but then another performance made it through so this moves up to #19. I am surprised this performance made it into the Top 20. I thought this was a fine performance but that's all I really think about it. "Piece Of My Heart" is one of those songs where I think it's difficult to make an outstanding or really great performance of (although Asia'h Epperson was an exception). JAX's version was one of the better ones, I suppose. I thought she sang and performed the song well at times, but I wasn't a fan of some of her vocal ad-libs and runs. This is one of those poser-type rock performances. Overall, I felt this was a middle of the road kind of performance from her run.

Hayden

Instead of spending my time on this performance, though, I’m going to talk about Sarina-Joi. So, she’s the perfect contestant for me – someone who tried out for the show time after time. She first started during season 10, when they first lowered the age limit (a choice tbh, but it introduced SJC, so I won’t give them too much flack). We got little airtime of Sarina this season, but she was featured as part of a group that included season 11’s DeAndre Brackensick. She was unceremoniously cut at the end of Hollywood Week, but this season gave us the introductory chapter of someone who should’ve been a top 5 finalist for this season. I’m going to attach a couple of her performances from that year below – her unaired Hollywood audition along with her group performance.

19. Nick Fradiani "Thinking Out Loud"

8AiWreX.png

13.8/20

Watch Here

@JORDAN_FAN - 1/20

@Zoey - 4/20

@goofycilla90 - 5/20

@JC - 6/20

@QueenKalie - 8/20

@totes4totes - 13/20

@*Wallace - 13/20

@*Diana - 13/20

@Elliott - 15/20

@*Chris - 15/20

@sublymonal - 15/20

@Steven_ - 16/20

@FrogLenzen - 17/20

@Solaris - 17/20

@*Amanda - 19/20

@jarmon - 19/20

@taylorkat - 19/20

@1234567890 - 20/20

@Alex95 - 20/20

@hayden98 - 20/20

JC

Cute, not as good as the original, but a good performance

Wally

tumblr_nkcwb8QBKl1r1p452o1_640.gifv

Aww I do feel kinda bad for Nick only having 1 performance in the finals (but I feel even worse for Sarina-Joi getting shut out). Although this was kinda what I was expecting from him considering the forum's thoughts on him. But at least he does have this performance. I do really like this “Thinking Out Loud” performance and do consider it one of his standouts. I do prefer "Only the Good Die Young" and "Back Home" more from Nick, so would have preferred those over this one. MAYBEE even "Bright Lights" but not sure there? This was a great first performance from Nick to showcase the type of artist he should be. This is a great Ed Sheeran song, and it fits his voice and style so well. The opening verse was a little too quiet, but he built it up nicely once he got into the pre-chorus. He sang that pre-chorus and chorus really well. I really love the part where he sings: 

So, baby, now
Take me into your loving arms
Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars
Place your head on my beating heart
I'm thinking out loud

So actually that whole last chorus of the song is my favorite part. But yeah, this is a really solid performance from Nick and one of my faves from him. I hope it does better than I expect but I won't hold out too much hope for that. :haha:

Elliott

Yeah I refuse to listen to Nick singing Ed Sheeran. Not last solely because I doubt it'd be worse than the sounds JAX unleashed on us.

Chris

Remember when I liked Nick during Season 14 but looking back at it, his performances were so mediocre including this one although it's one of his better one - it just doesn't help that the song has been overdone & I could care less for the song, nowadays. 

Derek

I'm in shock as to how bland this is. It doesn't even rise to mediocre. This person winning is the biggest mystery in the history of the franchise. I don't even know what to say. Voice is average. Looks are average. Arrangement was nothing interesting. No style added on top. Just some awkward faces and strange restless pacing. 

Alex

One of the most bland and safest performance in Idol history. Nick is one of the least passionate performers we've seen do well on the show. I'm assuming this made the end just because we felt about our winner having no performances here. He doesn't have literally any standout performances so we just picked one at random and threw it here.

Hayden

Sarina-Joi talk part two! So, Sarina did not audition for season 11 (as far as we know), but she returned for season’s 12 and 13. During season 12, she once again reached the end of Hollywood Week, receiving just barely more airtime than her first attempt. She was shown sparingly during season 13 as well, making it all the way to the top 50 contestants before being cut. Luckily, she managed to make the top 24 finally during season 14 after singing Jessie J’s Big White Room, which I’ll link down below.

18. Clark Beckham "(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay"

Y7SIOCY.png

12.3/20

Watch Here

@JC - 2/20

@Steven_ - 4/20

@Elliott - 5/20

@1234567890 - 5/20

@sublymonal - 5/20

@FrogLenzen - 8/20

@totes4totes - 10/20

@*Amanda - 11/20

@Zoey - 11/20

@hayden98 - 12/20

@*Diana - 14/20

@taylorkat - 15/20

@Solaris - 16/20

@goofycilla90 - 17/20

@QueenKalie - 17/20

@*Wallace - 18/20

@*Chris - 18/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 18/20

@Alex95 - 19/20

@jarmon - 20/20

JC

EPIC

Elliott

Flawless.

Derek

He would make a great lounge singer. Some place where you're having some cocktails and you stop your conversation to say "hey, this lounge singer is pretty good!" and then keep talking

Megan

I live right across the street from the lake where Otis Redding's plane crashed and killed him. I don't know how I feel about this. 

Hayden

Classic Clark.

Wally

tumblr_nnyfzwpRoV1r1p452o1_640.gifv

Oooof the Clark treatment in the Petty solo cuts round was super frustrating. I do like this performance and thought it was a good performance. But this is a Clark performance I would have been fine with missing the Top 20. There are SOOO many other Clark performances I would have preferred having in the Final 20 over this one, such as..... "It's a Man's Man's Man's World," "Sunday Morning," "Every Breath You Take," "Make It Rain," "Boyfriend" and "Ain't No Sunshine." All or nearly all of those could have made my Top 10, but sadly this one isn't up here so it will land in a lower ranking. :( 

This is a great classic soulful song and I thought Clark did it justice. I do like his piano playing here and how he sang the song. I liked the groove he had while performing. He was having a good time singing this, which was great to see, especially around the middle section of the song. Overall, this is one of those performances I don't really remember or think of that much when thinking of Clark's run, but I always appreciate watching this whenever I do.

Chris

This was a fine performance from Clark. Also the fact that the superior version of this song didn't make the Top 20 on their respective season but this one did is something else ; I could find a few other performances that deserved to make the Top 20 more than this one.

Alex

The Clark stans ranking this in the top five...please broaden your horizons. You don't have to rank all the performances from your fave at the top just because :dead:. I think the only times I did that were with Haley & Elise, but they were legitimately my top three/two performances of the season. Anyways, this was boring and predictable. I do appreciate Clark's talent even though I'm far from a stan. However this performance was a nothing burger.

17. Joey Cook "Wrecking Ball"

KXoqqlh.png

12.0/20

Watch Here

@*Diana - 5/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 6/20

@jarmon - 6/20

@totes4totes - 7/20

@Elliott - 8/20

@Zoey - 9/20

@*Chris - 10/20

@goofycilla90 - 10/20

@Alex95 - 10/20

@sublymonal - 10/20

@*Amanda - 12/20

@1234567890 - 13/20

@taylorkat - 13/20

@Solaris - 14/20

@JC - 15/20

@FrogLenzen - 16/20

@hayden98 - 16/20

@QueenKalie - 19/20

@Steven_ - 20/20

@*Wallace - 20/20

Megan

Don't really know how this one made it but my favorite Joey performances did not. This doesn't deserve Top 10 but I am putting it here because nobody can stop me!!!!!!!!

Elliott

Amazing.

Chris

If we were unable to get "Mad World", "Miss Independent", "Somebody to Love" or "King of Spain", I am glad that "Wrecking Ball" made it in the Top 20 - it's not my personal favourite of Joeys but it's certainly one of the her most underrated performance.

Alex

Obviously I am beyond disappointed with how Joey was treated this game. She has so many unique and incredible performances and this was one of her two to make it. Joey obviously elevated the performance by making it her own and doing what she always does. But we really deserved any of the performances Chris listed here instead.

JC

she totes does sound like Miley, but I have never been a fan of Miley's voice, Miley is more good at the songs that do not require any vocals like Party In the USA :giggle:

Derek

I don't think the fake voice affectation that she uses works for this song. It's upsetting to listen to. Lana Del Rey should be put in prison for influencing the rise of these types of artists

Hayden

I wish that pretty much any Joey performance made it instead of Wrecking Ball. Sarina-Joi talk part three! So, Sarina-Joi finally reached the top 24 after four attempts and she opened up her journey by bringing down the house with Jessie J’s Mama Knows Best. She brought a lot of sass to the song and really looked comfortable the whole time.

Wally

tumblr_nmilwenI9T1r1p452o1_640.gifv

LOL the way I was debating on cutting "Somebody to Love" vs. "Wrecking Ball," and decided on the former for my solo cut.... but "Wrecking Ball" somehow made it into the Top 20? JUST MY LUCK. :dead: I only enjoyed 3 Joey performances and this isn't one of them. I never really cared for this performance and I thought this was a bad song choice for her. I can appreciate the risk she took but a big pop power ballad song like this isn't Joey's style. I felt the song was too big for her voice and I don't think she nailed the vocal here. I would have preferred having "Mad World" or "Miss Independent" here, as I actually liked those performances from Joey.

16. Quentin Alexander "You're The One That I Want"

EdiP8fk.png

11.7/20

Watch Here

@totes4totes - 6/20

@Zoey - 7/20

@Steven_ - 8/20

@*Wallace - 8/20

@Elliott - 9/20

@*Chris - 9/20

@Alex95 - 9/20

@sublymonal - 9/20

@JC - 10/20

@Solaris - 11/20

@jarmon - 11/20

@hayden98 - 11/20

@QueenKalie - 12/20

@taylorkat - 12/20

@*Amanda - 15/20

@*Diana - 15/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 17/20

@FrogLenzen - 18/20

@1234567890 - 18/20

@goofycilla90 - 19/20

Wally

LawfulWhimsicalAtlanticbluetang-max-1mb.

I know this may be unpopular, and hopefully I won't be the only one to share this thought, but "You're The One That I Want" has always been my favorite performance of Quentin's. I'm glad it made the finals, as I was not expecting it to do so nor was I really pushing hard for it... but I am glad it survived the petty cuts and won its battle to get here. We all know this as a fun cute pop song from Grease, but wow I really love what Quentin did with this song. I love how he was unafraid taking risks and showcasing his artistry of making songs his own. This is a perfect example here, because I never would have imagined this song sung in the way Quentin did here. Right from his opening notes of "I got chills," I also got chills. 😮 I love how he took his time with the opening verse. But I really love how he sang the chorus of the song so much, where he sings:

You better shape up
'Cause you need a man
And my heart is set on you
You better shape up
You better understand
To my heart I must be true
You're the one that I want
Oo-oo-oo
The one that I want.

:omg:

Then I also really love how this performance ends with Quentin belting out: You're the ooooonnneeeee......  You better shappppeee uuuppppp .

SO good! :omg: Although wow at how the camera panned up so close up on Quentin like that, with his intense serious singing. That was kinda scary.... but a ridiculously good performance! :yes:

Elliott

Amazing.

Chris

My personal favourite of Quentin - the way he was able to take a song that everyone knows, strip it down, and make it into his own >>>> 

Alex

I didn't really remember this performance going in, but I absolutely loved it. It's such an interesting interpretation of the song, but I think it absolutely works with the lyrics. This game reminded my why I fell in love with Quentin in the first place.

JC

Fab start, very theatrical, I've been too hard on him this rankdown because I enjoyed this, glad it made it through to top 20

Hayden

Not amazing, but solid.

Derek

'll give points for trying a different arrangement. Then I'll take all the points away for it being just a wretched overwrought melodramatic mess. Then I'll give negative points because the vocals were also atrocious. 

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 14 - 20-16 Posted)

- Fair placement for JAX's Piece of My Heart. I agree with a lot of people's comments on this one, even if the comments are diverse. I do also kinda agree with Alex that this was one of her better upbeat performances. I just thought I liked it more than I remembered. OMGG I love how Hayden just talked about robbed Queen Sarina-Joi instead. I wonder if he'll do that with all of his comments. :haha: 

- Ooof I was going to write in my comments that I think Nick could be the winner that does the worse here, and yeah this proves it. Not too surprised with this ranking but.... at least he doesn't come in last? :haha: Not surprised with Elliott's comment with the Ed mention.  lol Alex's latter half of his comments. 

- Woooof, dang a 12.3 for the #18 performance? Dang that's a low score for #18 it seems so I feel like a lot of these performances scores will be tight. lol Ouch at Derek's subtle shady comment here.  Anyway, love Clark but am fine with the ranking of this performance. I do like this but he's had so many better performances that missed out that should have been here over this. :closedeyes: I do get Chris on his comments, because George's version not making the Top 20 was def an overlooked robbery. LMAO Alex calling out the Clark stans with the Top 5 rankings here. :dead: I get where he's coming from but I am sure JAX fans did the same, as have stans of others did so too. :haha:   

- Fair on Joey's WB coming in at 17th. It does seem a lot of us were surprised this made it over some of her other performances. I certainly wasn't expecting that either.  Lol love Hayden talking about Sarina-Joi again. :haha: 

- Ooh dang, not my favorite Quentin performance showing up already. 🙈 I...... was not hoping for that and was hoping another performance of his would have shown up first. But oh well. Shook but happy to see me being one of the highest rankers for this, as I did not expect that. Slay at Chris also calling this his favorite of Quentin's too. Glad to see some others love this one too. omgg Derek's comments.... I'm not surprised but oh lol. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

Lmao the winner is going to be so random 

I'm def wondering this, especially if the Clark and JAX high and low rankings cancel each other out. 😮 I wonder how effective that will be.

14 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Watch it be Adanna. :dead:

I wouldn't be surprised. She's probably the least polarizing contestant of the group. :lmao: