American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown

Alex95

22 minutes ago, *Chris said:

Rayvon is still underrated around here, and don't get the props that he deserves.

I said what I said 😘 

Keep giving me those confused reacts, king of having the most confused reactions ! 

- Pretty good spot for Adanna's Runaway Baby to come in at #15. This was really fun and it's nice seeing this in the mix here.

- Good spot for JAX's GOWY here too. I feel like all of the comments are all over the place on this, which isn't too surprising since this is JAX after all. :haha: But I can get why this is a polarizing performance. OMGG yess more Hayden talking of Sarina in his comments. :dead:

- Omggg such polarizing rankings for JAX's "Beautiful Disaster."  9 Top 8 rankings + 11 Bottom 6 rankings.... very interesting. omgg JC's comments. Omgg I am kinda surprised seeing these low JAX rankings on Alex's comments, or maybe it just shows with these 2 performances back to back. :haha: But yeah I do get the mixed feelings of this performance as parts were great and other parts weren't so great.

- Yeah I would obviously have Rayvon's SUBG higher but I had low expectations and was fearing this performance would have shown up much lower so I am content/ok with this ranking. Love all of Chris' comments here, of course! ❤️ Us Rayvon fans gotta stick together. :haha:  Although I did think for sure this would be his highest ranked performance. I'm sad this missed out on the Top 10 but very glad "I'm Not the Only One" made it there. ❤️ 

- Well done to Quentin's Royals on making it to #11. But lmaoo darn, maybe had I ranked this at #17 instead, maybe SUBG could have ranked higher lmao. :lmao: This was the one I was hoping to show up before YTOTIW but oh well. But this is still very good and happy to have found a new appreciation for this. Surprised seeing Derek ranking this at #20, but then again I'm always surprised with his rankings.

Trying to think of my rankings off the top of my head. I think I have the following remaining: #1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11 and 12. 

So wow, honestly not bad at all. 😮 But I am sure that will change with these next few sets. :dead: 

1 hour ago, *Chris said:

Rayvon is still underrated around here, and don't get the props that he deserves.

I said what I said 😘 

preach christina aguilera GIF

Although he's doing much better with his performances in these results than what I was expecting. So I'll take that. :haha: 

• Like 1

10. Rayvon Owen "I'm Not The Only One"

yyVyqMv.png

10.85/20

Listen Here (Studio)

@Zoey - 1/20

@*Wallace - 5/20

@*Chris - 5/20

@goofycilla90 - 7/20

@QueenKalie - 7/20

@taylorkat - 7/20

@JC - 7/20

@Solaris - 9/20

@hayden98 - 9/20

@Steven_ - 10/20

@1234567890 - 12/20

@Elliott - 13/20

@jarmon - 13/20

@Alex95 - 13/20

@sublymonal - 14/20

@FrogLenzen - 15/20

@*Amanda - 16/20

@*Diana - 16/20

@totes4totes - 18/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 20/20

Wally

tumblr_nn8iuinbrR1r1p452o1_500.gifv

As one of Rayvon's biggest fans here, of course I really love Rayvon's performance of "I'm Not The Only One." I doooo struggle a bit on what is my 2nd favorite performance of his, as I also really love his "Wide Awake" and "Always On My Mind" performances a lot, and all 3 are amongst my favorite performances of the season. I'm sad those two missed out but so glad that the majority of rankers voted "I'm Not The Only One" through! Thank you, rankers! ❤️ I remember Rayvon had a fantastic performance of "Lay Me Down" in the early stages of the show so I was looking forward to him singing another Sam Smith song, and he did not disappoint with this performance. I love this song and thought Rayvon certainly did it justice. He sang the song beautifully with great power vocals. Not only did he deliver a great vocal, but he really connected emotionally with this song too. Rayvon started the song off slowly and softly but he took his time with the opening verse. I do love how he does slowly build up the song when he gets to the chorus where he sings:

You say I'm crazy
'Cause you don't think I know what you've done
But when you call me baby
I know I'm not the only one

SO good!! :omg: But then one of my main favorite parts is the following part.... I love how he builds up the performance even more when he gets to the bridge of the song where he sings:

I have loved you for many years
Maybe I am just not enough
You've made me realize my deepest fear
By lying and tearing us up

SANG IT, RAYVON! :omg: Then I love how he really belts it out on the next chorus section of the song. He does get a little grittier some of the big vocals there but the beauty of that part is how he really gets into the vulnerable and deep emotion of the song. I really felt that pain and emotion he was singing there. 😢 I even sometimes get chills from those latter parts when I watch this. I love how he closes the performance softly and tenderly, like how he started it. This was a very beautiful and one of Rayvon's most emotional performances! Oooh and I must also mention, I love the studio recording of this song too (which is easy to find on Youtube, but ugh so should the performance too. :/).

Chris

As a vocal Rayvon fan, I am ranking all of his performance in my Top 5 because that's the least I can do. And this performance always been one of my favourite, outside of the obvious one like "Always On My Mind".

JC

Rayvon knows all my favorite music, adore this Sam Smith ballad, he did an amaze job

Hayden

I’m not the biggest Rayvon fan, but the studio recording of this was good (unfortunately the link Wally sent didn’t work for me </3)

Elliott

Meh.

Alex

I greatly preferred this to his other performance in the finals. I'm still not much of a Rayvon fan, but this was solid (though rude @ this being the only one to make the final 20 yet that's legit impossible to find online, Wally's website worked for me when I first watched it but not now lol)

Derek

Wallace's website didn't work for me lol. I'm going to give Rayvon the benefit of the doubt and assume that it was better than the below 

9. Quentin Alexander "I Put A Spell On You"

QXZ0PGe.png

10.4/20

Watch Here

@totes4totes - 3/20

@Solaris - 4/20

@Zoey - 5/20

@Alex95 - 5/20

@Steven_ - 6/20

@Elliott - 7/20

@sublymonal - 7/20

@*Amanda - 9/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 10/20

@QueenKalie - 10/20

@goofycilla90 - 11/20

@taylorkat - 11/20

@*Wallace - 12/20

@*Chris - 12/20

@JC - 12/20

@FrogLenzen - 14/20

@jarmon - 15/20

@1234567890 - 16/20

@hayden98 - 18/20

@*Diana - 20/20

Sola

beautiful!

Alex

Ugh Quentin deserved better than this shitty ass quality video. Anyways, he slayed as per usual. I love this song and I've heard some great covers of it across these singing shows so I was kinda worried about how much Quentin changed it up. But he worked it out as he always does. This was a very seductive performance and the falsetto at the end was brilliant. Bravo!

Elliott

Riveting.

Wally

tumblr_nkcvwwCcLf1r1p452o1_640.gifv

"I Put A Spell On You" is certainly great performance from Quentin. I know this performance is often viewed as his best/biggest standout performance, and I expect it to be his highest ranked performance. However, I always preferred a few other performances from him. I think this may be my 3rd or so favorite from him? I do like the dark and haunting quality he put with this song. The arrangement really grabs you. He connects so powerfully to the song and sings it straight from his heart. It may take a little while to build up but once it gets there, it's really powerful. Especially that part where he really belts out: Because you're mine. Dangg that was a really powerful part there. :omg: All of the rest of the vocal ad-libs he does are great and really cool. I can't remember if Quentin was a frontrunner or a dark horse or someone invisible before this but this performance made him someone to watch. This was such a dramatic and intriguing performance from Quentin.

Chris

It may not have been a flawless performance in terms of his vocal, but I really enjoyed the twist / spin that Quentin put on the song, and it made me a fan of his. 

JC

I like the way he brings the drama into every performance. Werk.

Derek

too slow. too much.

Hayden

Sarina-Joi talk part five! Unfortunately, Sarina-Joi struggled during her time during the finals. Despite her audition being quite amazing, her reprisal of the song showed a lot of nerves and resulted in her receiving the lowest number of votes. Tragically, the method of singing for the save was wretched this season and Sarina’s save me song was another song that really didn’t fit the save format. The most insulting part of Sarina’s elimination was when Qaasim was eliminated and saved just a week later. For me, Sarina’s elimination was season-ruining. Luckily, Sarina still performs today – having released a single as well as hanging a plethora of covers online. As much as I have a reputation for stanning Paige Miles, I would say at this point Sarina is probably my favorite atypical finalist from Idol. I just really love her voice and her story.

8. JAX "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)"

c6L6fhd.png

10.1/20

Watch Here

@Solaris - 2/20

@goofycilla90 - 3/20

@jarmon - 3/20

@QueenKalie - 3/20

@taylorkat - 3/20

@*Amanda - 5/20

@*Chris - 7/20

@1234567890 - 8/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 8/20

@Alex95 - 8/20

@FrogLenzen - 10/20

@*Wallace - 11/20

@*Diana - 12/20

@hayden98 - 14/20

@Zoey - 15/20

@sublymonal - 16/20

@Elliott - 17/20

@Steven_ - 18/20

@totes4totes - 19/20

@JC - 19/20

Sola

terrific

Chris

Is this my favourite rendition of this song ? Not at all, as it's been done way better than JAX. But that being said, I really love JAX's vocals on this on, especially in the beginning. 

Alex

Definitely one of my favorite JAX performances of the season. The first half of the performance is brilliant. I wouldn't call the second half brilliant, but it was solid enough. JAX came out of the gate and really made a name for herself as one to watch in this competition.

Derek

I was on board for the first half even though it was a bit slow. The rest was... interesting

Wally

giphy.gif?cid=790b761110c10a57a6684cb792

JAX started the competition with a bang, literally with her performance of "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)." I know JAX was always a frontrunner of the season and she kept that momentum up with this performance.  I thought this was a really great moment from her, and a performance that showcased her perfectly as an artist. It had that dark hautning a capella opening. She sounded really pretty and gorgeous there. :omg: I loved the rawness of her voice with that beginning part. It kinda gave me chills. Then I love how she kicked the tempo up and turned into a modern rock song. This is one of those times where I really liked JAX singing uptempo rock arrangements. This was a fun and electrifying twist to the performance. :bobo: Well maybe the performance isn't supposed to be fun with what she's singing but it has a fun sound to it. But yeah, this was great and certainly one of JAX's best performances.

Hayden

This started out quite good, but the latter half brought it down for me.

Elliott

Horrendous. Janis Joplin's estate should've sued.

Megan

I can't not think of Jax Taylor when I see her name. Imagine being only the second most famous reality tv JAX in existence. 

JC

I never disliked Jax, but she is inexplicably overrated among this group and I guess on IDF as a whole based on other people's comments. I let one of her songs get through to give her a handicap already so sorry but the wheels on the bus go round and round. This started off okay, but then dropped off quickly especially towards the end.

7. Tyanna Jones "Tightrope"

f6nQpiR.png

9.4/20

Watch Here

@*Wallace - 4/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 4/20

@Alex95 - 4/20

@hayden98 - 4/20

@1234567890 - 6/20

@goofycilla90 - 6/20

@*Diana - 6/20

@Solaris - 8/20

@Steven_ - 9/20

@taylorkat - 9/20

@*Amanda - 10/20

@Zoey - 10/20

@Elliott - 11/20

@*Chris - 11/20

@totes4totes - 12/20

@sublymonal - 12/20

@QueenKalie - 13/20

@JC - 13/20

@jarmon - 17/20

@FrogLenzen - 19/20

Wally

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611857e9374387da43d64

Tyanna's journey in this game was an interesting one as it did seem her performances barely got cut, and also barely advanced from any groups or duos. I'm really glad that Tyanna's "Tightrope" made it into the finals for Season 14. Although I am sad that my other favorite Tyanna performances in "Stay" and "Wings" both missed out, as I was hoping that there could be room for 2, maybe all 3 of them to make the finals. :( That BAD randomizer putting "Tightrope" and "Wings" against each other was SO wrong. :/  Anyway, "Tightrope" was fantastic and certainly is one of Tyanna's best performances for sure. I really enjoyed Majesty's version but felt that Tyanna's was even better. This song suited and fit right into Tyanna's style and she was so natural with performing and singing this song. She even reminds me of Janelle Monae in this performance. I love how she handles the fast singing portions of the song. It doesn't overpower her and she's right on the beat of it. But I also really love how she sings and powers through the chorus of the song.

'Cause baby whether you're high or low
Whether you're high or low
You gotta tip on the tightrope
(Tip, tip on it)
Tip on the tightrope
(Tip, tip on it)

:bobo: 

However, the best part for me is the next part where she really brings the song up to another level singing the bridge of the song that goes:

You can't get too high
(You can't get too high)
I said you can't get too low
(We can't get too low)
Cause you get too high
(You can't get too high)
No you'll surely be low
(No, you'll surely be low)
1, 2, 3, Go!

Oooh and yhesss, I LOVE the little dancing she does after that part! She really is like a baby Janelle Monae here. This was such a fun and entertaining performance! :bobo: It especially showed with that big note she hit at the end, which was great and also a lot of fun!

Alex

Ugh I'm still not over how dirty Tyanna was done this game. I lowkey wish I voted for "Wings" knowing how close it was, but I'm still very glad "Tightrope" made it to the end here. Tyanna knows how to put on a show and she completely owned this song. While I agree with Derek that this is a difficult song to sing, Tyanna absolutely nailed this and delivered a showstopping performance. Too bad we needed four Clark performances above it 🙂

Hayden

Early liveshows Tyanna was such a strong competitor! This was probably her peak (maybe Stay rivals it)

Elliott

I preferred the Little Mix performance to this but glad to see Tyanna got some representation. SMH at her only having one performance when JAX has five.

Chris

This was right up her alley, and she really hit it out of the park. Also, Tyanna was done dirty in this rankdown as I think she should have had two performances in the end. 

JC

This is perfect for her vibe

Derek

I said it last season and I have not changed my opinion. This is an awful song for a singing competition. Janelle's version is amazing. This is noise.

6. Clark Beckham "Georgia On My Mind"

iQVIkmD.png

9.3/20

Watch Here

@JC - 1/20

@Steven_ - 2/20

@Elliott - 3/20

@sublymonal - 3/20

@*Amanda - 4/20

@FrogLenzen - 4/20

@1234567890 - 4/20

@*Wallace - 6/20

@hayden98 - 6/20

@*Chris - 8/20

@jarmon - 8/20

@totes4totes - 9/20

@Alex95 - 12/20

@Zoey - 14/20

@goofycilla90 - 15/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 15/20

@taylorkat - 16/20

@QueenKalie - 18/20

@Solaris - 19/20

@*Diana - 19/20

JC

EPIC

Elliott

Flawless.

Derek

and then all of America voted for Nick. literally what.

Wally

giphy.gif?cid=790b76118bf768d5ee97df75f6

Clark had an outstanding moment with "Georgia On My Mind" during the Top 48 House of Blues round, so it was really great that he got to reprise this on the finale. This was such a great song choice and he did a fantastic job with this song. I am glad this performance was protected to Round 6, as I am sure it would have gotten petty cut for sure if it hadn't. Clark is at his best with him playing the piano and just singing and riffing straight from his heart. The opening of the song was great but I love how he slowly builds this up and how he builds the song as it carries on. But about a minute to this performance, he is SANGING IT and taking it TO THE CHURCH, specifically where he sings:

The road leads back to you

I said Georgia, oh Georgia
No peace I find (peace I find)
Just an old sweet song
Keeps Georgia 
Oooonnn ooohh nooooo, ooooonnnn
Keeps Geeeooorrrgia on myyyy miiinnnnd 
Oooohhh Georrgggiiiiaaa, mmmyyyy miiinnddd

SLAY IT, CLARK! :omg:  I just love how grimmy and gritty he gets with those big vocal power notes here! This man has such a classic old soul to him, it's insane! :dead: But that riffing he does at the end is just insane!! :omg: This is just one of the many amazing performances Clark had during his run that I really loved from him! 

Hayden

Excellent!

Chris

One of his best performance, and one of my favourite of his - I mean, you can't go wrong with a classic like "Georgia On My Mind. 

Alex

The first half was good and the second half was great. Probably should've clinched the win after this, but Nick had a better coronation single.

Sola

I actually really like this, but I payback is real.

1 hour ago, 1234567890 said:

I'm glad Rayvon was able to sneak a performance in the Top 10. ❤️

1 hour ago, 1234567890 said:

+ Quentin because I didn't think it would happen so I'm pleasantly surprised. ❤️ I knew JAX, Clark and Joey would make the Top 10. :yes:

I'm happy for them too. :yes: Even though the performances I wanted them to make the Top 10 with didn't. :haha: But I had a feeling IPASOY would, which is deserved.

Also Tyanna has her performance in the Top 10 too. ❤️ 

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 14 - 10-6 Posted)