American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown

Alex95

2 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

- Fair on Joey's WB coming in at 17th. It does seem a lot of us were surprised this made it over some of her other performances. I certainly wasn't expecting that either. 

If you didn't cut "Somebody To Love" this wouldn't be a problem 🙂

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Elliott said:

As a Clark stan, I only ranked SOTDOTB at 5 because the only two non-Clark performances I would’ve ranked above it were going to rank above it so I figured I’d try and help it out somewhat. :haha:

But also Justice for George Huff!

8 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

If you didn't cut "Somebody To Love" this wouldn't be a problem 🙂

You with the call out. :dead: 

I honestly never liked that performance though. 🙈 But yeah it probably would have made it if I cut "Wrecking Ball" instead. :lmao: Although I would have preferred her "Mad World" or "Miss Independent" in here though. :haha: 

5 minutes ago, Elliott said:

It’d be the most S14 thing :wub:

but I still think it’ll be Fancy.

It would be. :dead: 

I kinda fear this could too. 🙈 I kinda said something of this in my comments.

29 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Fun fact, Nick is now the lowest scoring winner in this game. Taylor Hicks also had his only performance show up in 19th place, but his score was higher than Nick's.

I kinda wish I predicted this in my comments as I could have seen this coming. Not surprised by this happening. I think he'll still hold that record as I see all the other winners doing better.

15. Adanna Duru "Runaway Baby"

LFwszko.png

11.7/20

Watch Here

@Zoey - 2/20

@FrogLenzen - 5/20

@Alex95 - 6/20

@Steven_ - 7/20

@hayden98 - 8/20

@jarmon - 9/20

@QueenKalie - 9/20

@Solaris - 10/20

@*Diana - 10/20

@sublymonal - 11/20

@JC - 11/20

@Elliott - 12/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 12/20

@totes4totes - 14/20

@*Wallace - 14/20

@1234567890 - 17/20

@taylorkat - 18/20

@*Chris - 19/20

@*Amanda - 20/20

@goofycilla90 - 20/20

Derek

It is a fun song, but it doesn't have a lot of levels. Overall this was solid even if her voice is not outstanding.

Alex

Adanna was not on my radar at all before this performance, but I really became a fan after it. This was such a high-energy and fun performance. Adanna kinda ran out of steam towards the end, but I don't really care because she really gave this her own. She looks stunning and her stage presence was amazing. Very pleased to see this make the top 20.

Hayden

This relatively high ranking is moreso a statement on Adanna than this performance. This was definitely Adanna’s best performance, but she very much lacked control during her time on Idol. I still think she should’ve lasted longer and her post-idol work reflects how much she’s grown. This was still pretty good though.

JC

No youtube video of this so assumed it was forgettable, but not terrible.

Elliott

The best performance from anyone not named Clark, Sarina, Joey or Quentin tbh.

Wally

tumblr_nl4mhrEmHA1r1p452o1_640.gifv

I will admit, I'm feeling a certain kind of way of Adanna's "Runaway Baby" making the Final 20 while Joshua's version got shafted.... grrr. :/  But I'm not taking that out on Adanna, lol. I LOVE this song so I am glad to see it make the finals here. Also better yet, this is also my favorite performance of Adanna's, so it's nikce she is represented in the Top 20 here. I do love how much fun she had with this performance, and this was easily her most fun performance. :bobo: I also love all of the spunk and sass she gave here too. She sang the song really well throughout. I do love how she sang the bridge (with the "I just wanna work you" and "you better run" parts), where she was really building up that part of the song to the last chorus where she was really giving it her all with those vocals. :bobo: I forgot how fun this performance was from Adanna but she did well here. :yes:

Chris

I could care less for Adanna Duru but I will praise her determination into making it on reality TV show. Overall, this was a fun performance but nothing more than that. 

14. JAX "Grow Old With You"

3MIvXJX.png

11.7/20

Watch Here

@FrogLenzen - 2/20

@jarmon - 4/20

@QueenKalie - 4/20

@taylorkat - 4/20

@Solaris - 5/20

@*Diana - 7/20

@1234567890 - 10/20

@*Amanda - 13/20

@Zoey - 13/20

@goofycilla90 - 13/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 13/20

@Steven_ - 14/20

@*Chris - 14/20

@totes4totes - 15/20

@*Wallace - 15/20

@Alex95 - 16/20

@hayden98 - 17/20

@JC - 17/20

@Elliott - 19/20

@sublymonal - 19/20

Derek

this actually seemed nice, maybe it's because I was just yelled at by the last 4 performances I listened to

Sola

such a compelling performance, of a really weird song

Chris

I love JAX but I always found this performance to be overrated. And I would have gladly have taken a few of her other performances that got cut. 

Wally

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611c0f61852d1483c166f

"Grow Old With You" is a really interesting performance for me from JAX. I don't know other people's thoughts on this performance (but will find out when I read comments), but I kinda have a weird adoration for this performance? It's not like one of my major favorite performances of the season but it's a performance I find to be adorable and her version of the song got stuck in my head for weeks after she sang it.  It's so unexpected hearing someone take on an Adam Sandler song but I really enjoyed what she did with this and how she sang it. This is such a cute, adorable performance that always puts a smile on my face. ❤️ She sounds sweet and pleasant here.  

I do love those parts where she sings: All I wanna do is grow old with you. ❤️

Then another part I love is where she sings: Even let you hold the remote control. :giggle: The way she sang that was so cute. :haha:

I also love how she sings the ending of the song that goes: Oh, I could be the one who grows old with you. All I wanna do is grow old with you.

I really liked the sweet vulnerability she had in this performance. I do also consider this one of my favorites from JAX too.

Alex

This performance from JAX never really worked for me. I think she was trying way too hard and it lacked an authenticity (definitely JAX's biggest problem throughout the competition). The cutesy moments were very over rehearsed. She sang it well, but the squeak started to actually get on my nerves when it doesn't usually bother me in her performances.

Hayden

Sarina-Joi talk part four! After sailing through the first week of the live shows, Sarina-Joi went and picked a slower song, doing You Really Got A Hold On Me. I think I still prefer Mama Knows Best, but this performance was still quite stellar and showed a lot of Sarina’s softer side.

JC

Hating her look in this performance. Why does she have a drawing on her face? Anyways, this was boring or out of tune throughout the entire performance so not sure why this one made it.

Elliott

Terrible song choice and terrible vocals, as expected.

13. JAX "Beautiful Disaster"

SMFDQvW.png

11.1/20

Watch Here

@*Diana - 1/20

@taylorkat - 1/20

@QueenKalie - 2/20

@FrogLenzen - 6/20

@*Chris - 6/20

@Solaris - 7/20

@jarmon - 7/20

@*Amanda - 8/20

@goofycilla90 - 8/20

@1234567890 - 14/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 14/20

@Steven_ - 15/20

@hayden98 - 15/20

@totes4totes - 16/20

@Elliott - 16/20

@JC - 16/20

@Zoey - 17/20

@*Wallace - 17/20

@sublymonal - 17/20

@Alex95 - 18/20

Derek

interesting

Chris

I might be bias because this is one of my favourite Kelly Clarkson's song, but it is also one of my favourite performance of JAX's. The only way this could have been better is if she would have done the piano version of just herself at the piano. 

Hayden

Eh, this was fine.

Elliott

Kristen O'Connor sang a Kelly Clarkson better than SDF. Let that sink in.

JC

Ok, now this girl has taken it too far, ruining a Kelly Clarkson song :( I am really not a fan of this version. Perhaps because she seems to be trying to sound like KClarks and failing miserably since she is so inferior. YEESH.

Wally

giphy.gif?cid=790b76116126ad57da9d68a4bd

This is one of those JAX performances I feel I don't really pay attention or remember much from her run, but I do think this is good. The piano version of this song is gorgeous and I thought JAX did very well with this. She connected well with the emotion of the song, and she sang it beautifully. I like how she had some breathy vocals in there, and she had some nice higher notes. She showed a good mix of vocal range here. Hmm the belting at the bridge was kinda a bit much at times but I felt the passion from her, so it's okay. Overall, this isn't one of my favorite performances from the season but this a very pretty performance that I enjoy from JAX.

Alex

What a fitting song name because parts of this performance were really beautiful and then sometimes her vocals were a complete disaster. I was aways surprised to see JAX fans rally behind this performance because I don't think it's one of her strongest. I'm glad the two remaining JAX performances are the final two so I can finally discuss her at her best soon enough cause right now I'm starting to look like a JAX hater lol.

12. Rayvon Owen "Since U Been Gone"

T3Lenb2.png

10.9/20

Watch Here

@*Wallace - 2/20

@*Chris - 2/20

@Zoey - 3/20

@QueenKalie - 6/20

@totes4totes - 8/20

@taylorkat - 8/20

@JC - 8/20

@goofycilla90 - 9/20

@Steven_ - 11/20

@1234567890 - 11/20

@jarmon - 12/20

@FrogLenzen - 13/20

@sublymonal - 13/20

@hayden98 - 13/20

@Elliott - 14/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 16/20

@*Amanda - 17/20

@Alex95 - 17/20

@*Diana - 17/20

@Solaris - 18/20

Wally

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611434ed171645593cca9

One of my main goals for Season 14 was to hopefully get Rayvon's “Since U Been Gone” into the finals and yayy I am really glad to achieve that. I am happy that Randomizer paired Chris & I up so that we could help Rayvon get a performance in the finals, and glad we agreed on this one. We all know “Since U Been Gone” and how this is such a big signature song in Kelly Clarkson's discography. I was worried hearing that Rayvon would sing this song, because most versions just don't compare to Kelly's (when they do it in her arrangement). I am sure there may be some people that don't like what Rayvon did with this song. But I'm not one of those people as I absolutely LOVE what he did with this song! Not only that but this is also my favorite performance of Rayvon's and one of my favorite performances of this season. 

I love how Rayvon showed his artistry and made it into an R&B soulful ballad, which clearly suits his style. He made this song his own and so different from the Kelly classic. I love how he made me hear and listen to this song differently, as an emotional heartbreak type of this. I really think this was the performance he needed at this stage of the competition after giving a few underwhelming performances (and yes I can admit that as a fan). I just find this performance REALLY moving and it gives me chills.... one of the few performances this season that does that for me.

As I mentioned earlier, I love the arrangement here. It's beautiful and touching. It allows Rayvon to sing the song straight from his heart and pour his heart & soul into this performance. The opening verse is soft but it really draws you in (at least it does to me). But I really love it where he belts out the first chorus of the song:

But since you've been gone
I can breathe for the first time
I'm so moving on
Yeah, yeah
Thanks to you
Now I get what I want
Since you've been gone

So beautifully sung! As I mention, right from how he sings that chorus, it makes me view and think of the song in a different and much more emotional way. 

My favorite part is where he sings the bridge:

You had your chance, you blew it
Out of sight, out of mind
Shut your mouth, I just can't take it
Again and again, and again, and again

I love the mix of power vocals and falsetto he showcases in his voice there. But also the vulnerable and heartbreaking emotion he puts into the song too. :omg: It's all so powerful and moving! :omg: Then I also really love how he sings the rest of the song, aka the final chorus of the song! ❤️ Such a beautiful and great performance from Rayvon. I also love how this was the perfroamcne that kicked off his slayage run of winning the Twitter Save votes. :bobo: MY UNDERDOG KING! (!) I do hope this performance can rank decently, but I know Rayvon also isn't really a fan favorite on here, so it may not rank well. But regardless of where it ranks, I'm glad Chris & I were able to push this into the Top 20 as this performance moves me and is one of my favorites of the season.

Chris

Is this my favourite performance of the season ? No. But I've always been a vocal Rayvon fan, especially around on IDF as I find him to always be the target of dig from a lot of people as if he's one of the worst contestant of the season which is far from the truth. Is he the best ? Not at all, but for me, he was one of the better one. And this performance is easily one of his better performance - ranking it high as I want it to get a good rank and I think it's probably the only performance of his that have a chance in making the Top 10. 

JC

Once of my fave KClark songs, loved Rayvon's version

Derek

who authorized this arrangement?? Guys, sometimes you just have to say "no." A harp and strings? Come on now people. This actually made me lol when he was doing the "again and again" part.

Hayden

I lowkey feel like I should’ve ranked this a bit higher, but eh.

Elliott

Nice of Rayvon to finally turn in something good.

Alex

If you're gonna be as boring of a performer as Rayvon is you've really got nail the vocal every time, and unfortunately Rayvon does not.

Sola

no thanks bye

11. Quentin Alexander "Royals"

hGa7tTJ.png

10.85/20

Watch Here

@totes4totes - 2/20

@Alex95 - 3/20

@hayden98 - 3/20

@Solaris - 6/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 7/20

@Zoey - 8/20

@sublymonal - 8/20

@JC - 9/20

@Elliott - 10/20

@*Diana - 11/20

@QueenKalie - 11/20

@Steven_ - 12/20

@goofycilla90 - 12/20

@*Chris - 13/20

@1234567890 - 15/20

@*Wallace - 16/20

@jarmon - 16/20

@taylorkat - 17/20

@*Amanda - 18/20

@FrogLenzen - 20/20

Alex

Gorgeous. This is actually my favorite Quentin performance of the season, I was so happy to see it make the top 20. While I think Joey gets the majority of the praise for her brilliant arrangements this season, I don't think we can take anything away from her bff Quentin. He interprets the lyrics to these songs in such unique ways and nails the performance. Royals and You're the One That I Want can turn out to be really bad song choices, but Quentin makes them genius. And I love how emotional he gets at the end of the performance, before he thought the show was wack (❤️)

Hayden

I admittedly was only able to find a rehearsal video of this performance, but if the live performance was anything like the rehearsal, it was excellent!

JC

He totes brings the drama, rewatching these I guess I am a fan of his music, but his lack of hotness hurt him compared to Clark/Nick/Rayvon, but a great voice and very drama

Elliott

Amazing.

Chris

I always found this performance underrated. 

Wally

tumblr_nl2quyAqjP1r1p452o1_640.gifv

I thought this was a cool performance from Quentin, but admitally not one I really remember that well from him. After rewatching it, I do dig it and think it's a pretty cool performance. I like how he made this into a more vulnerable soulful song. He sang the song well and made some cool vocal choices in how he built up the song. Aww the ending where he got emotional and couldn't finish that last line was a heart touching moment. :broken: This wouldn't be in my personal Top 20 but I found a bit of a bigger appreciation for this performance now. I also probably would have preferred number of other performances from Quentin such as "In the Air Tonight" & "Dark Side" to make the finals over this one, but I'm okay with this being here.

Derek

I hated this a lot lot lot. This is just noise

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 14 - 15-11 Posted)