American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown

Alex95

- I wasn't expecting Rayvon's INTOO to make the Top 10 but I am very pleasantly surprised and happy here, especially as I was just hoping for one of his performances to make the Top 10. So yay for this making it through! 😄 Yay Chris for his comments, of course. OMG UGH noooo, the link I posted didn't work for people. WTH, that site/internet. 😢:dead: Ah I wish I would have known as I could have found other links, possibly. Or I wish I was talented enough to rip/upload performances to Youtube. But happy to see lots of positive comments here too.

- Oooh it's so interesting how Rayvon and Quentin have been posted back to back here, but well done to Quentin's IPASOY making it to 9th. Great performance and agree with lots of the comments here. Hayden is killing it with the Sarina-Joi write-ups. :dead:

- Hmm I think I kinda expected JAX's Bang Bang to rank a little higher but #8 is still a good spot. This was a performance I really wanted to push into my Top 10 but had no space for it as I enjoyed those in my Top 10 more. :lmao: Agreed with those that the first half was really strong/great and the second half not as strong but still good. lol Derek's interesting comment on it. :haha: omgg lol JC's comments.

- Oooh omg I'm one of Tyanna's highest rankers? SLAY. I was not expecting that. 😮 I love that her one performance made it all the way to 7th although she def should have had more here. I totally agree with Alex's comment that she nailed the difficulty of this song. Also glad others thought she was done dirty here too.

- Oooh I ranked this Clark ANS performance at #6, so I technically agree with this ranking here. Loved this and thought this was a great performance from him. I am surprised the performance I ranked lower showed up higher than ANS but hmm. lol Sola's comments.

Of this Top 5, I have...... #1, 3, 7, 9 and 10 remaining. Not AS good as my remaining Top 10 but still not bad. :haha: 

I did predict Joey's "Fancy" would be the highest ranked non Clark/JAX performance, so at least I predicted that. :haha: Now I wonder how affective the low Clark and JAX rankings will balance out and factor out with these results. 

26 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Me going about my day and posting results like nothing in the world is going on only to be greeted by a row of Betty White avatars as I click send

200.gif

Gahh yeah same here. 😢 I was posting regularly, then saw sets and such when posting my replies. :broken: 

5. JAX "My Immortal"

y34cPtA.png

9.1/20

Watch Here

@Solaris - 1/20

@QueenKalie - 1/20

@*Amanda - 2/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 2/20

@jarmon - 2/20

@Alex95 - 2/20

@*Diana - 2/20

@taylorkat - 2/20

@*Chris - 3/20

@*Wallace - 7/20

@1234567890 - 9/20

@hayden98 - 10/20

@FrogLenzen - 11/20

@Steven_ - 13/20

@goofycilla90 - 16/20

@sublymonal - 18/20

@totes4totes - 20/20

@Elliott - 20/20

@Zoey - 20/20

@JC - 20/20

Sola

Since I can’t have White Flag at #1, this will have to do

Alex

Gorgeous. While I think "White Flag" is objectively better, this is my favorite JAX performance (probably just because I'm relieved someone finally nailed Evanescene on this show). JAX kept it simple and stayed behind the piano the entire time, which was absolutely the right call. JAX had waaaay too many detractors to succeed in this game, but I'm relieved this stunning performance at least made the top five.

Chris

My second performance favourite of JAX - I enjoyed everything about this performance.

Wally

giphy.gif?cid=790b76114e133735fb48aae21a

JAX reminds me a lot like Jena, and I get that the two get compared a lot, but just like Jena, I think JAX is at her best with these piano ballads. This has always stood out to me as one of JAX's best performances of her run. It's my 2nd favorite performance from her run after "White Flag," which I feel certain could have cracked my personal Top 5. I just love it where JAX just slows down these songs, showcases her artistry with songs like these. She takes her time with these songs, plays the piano beautifully and sings the song beautifully too. The opening verse is so stunning from her. ❤️ I do love it when she gets to the chorus and slowly builds the song up, especially the part where she sings: 

There's just too much that time cannot erase
When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
You still have

SO beautiful. ❤️ She sings the rest of the song with so much heartfelt emotion and lovely vocals. This is truly a tender and stunning performance that I love from JAX. I do hope it's her highest ranked performance as well.

Hayden

I am not a huge JAX fan overall. There’s a weird whiny thing that she does with her voice for most of her performances, but this actually didn’t have any of that going on so I’ll be nice and rank this higher than the rest of them.

Derek

this song doesn't need to be slowed down... please just keep tempo, not everything has to be a cadenza.

Megan

Everybody should know by now that I don't enjoy Evanescence.

Elliott

Wretched performance. I hope she issued an apology to Amy Lee after this.

JC

The only one of her performances that should have actually made the top 20. But I might be biased because I like this song. One critique is that she could have given the performance more levels though to elevate it as it still is much weaker than most of the performances that made the top 20 and compared to many of the strong performances that were robbed of top 20.

4. Clark Beckham "When A Man Loves A Woman"

yh9IVbx.png

9.0/20

Watch Here

@FrogLenzen - 1/20

@1234567890 - 3/20

@JC - 3/20

@Elliott - 4/20

@sublymonal - 4/20

@*Diana - 4/20

@Steven_ - 5/20

@*Amanda - 7/20

@hayden98 - 7/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 9/20

@*Wallace - 10/20

@jarmon - 10/20

@totes4totes - 11/20

@Zoey - 12/20

@goofycilla90 - 14/20

@taylorkat - 14/20

@Solaris - 15/20

@Alex95 - 15/20

@*Chris - 16/20

@QueenKalie - 16/20

Derek

kind of all over the place but he sold me on it.

JC

GORGE

Elliott

Flawless.

Hayden

This was a strong start for Clark!

Wally

tumblr_nkcuw1PziC1r1p452o1_640.gifv

I loved Clark's "When A Man Loves A Woman" performance. But with Clark having such a great run on the show, this was one of those ~great performances I love but forgot how great it was/how much I love it~ type performances until I rewatch it. I do love it when he sings these classic soulful songs as he really sings them so well. He has a great soulful voice. I know some of his performances may have a lack of connection ability to them but didn't feel that was the case here. I do love all of the soulful raspiness he puts in his vocals and all of the range he showcases here. The performance as a whole is a great but my favorite part is where he BELTS OUT THAT Falsetto note where he sings: when a loooovvvvveeessssss aaaaa womannn. That long note he held was insane! :omg::dead: Then I love how he closed the performance on a quieter softer note. After watching this, I do forget how great this was and how much I love it.

Alex

I went back and relistened to Joshua's right after this. This was supposed to be my petty cut because this song should be retired from the show after Joshua's performance, but then I went with something random from Rayvon cause I was annoyed with how he was getting ignored during petty cuts lol. Looking back on it, obviously that was a mistake and I should've cut this because this making the top four somehow while Joshua's couldn't even make the top 10 is one of IDF's worst takes (i know we're comparing two different seasons but still)

Chris

Vocally speaking, this was a great performance but it just doesn't measure up to two other performances of the song that I really love.

3. Clark Beckham "Earned It"

8hTcmJn.png

8.0/20

Watch Here

@Elliott - 2/20

@1234567890 - 2/20

@sublymonal - 2/20

@hayden98 - 2/20

@Steven_ - 3/20

@*Wallace - 3/20

@totes4totes - 4/20

@goofycilla90 - 4/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 5/20

@JC - 5/20

@*Amanda - 6/20

@taylorkat - 6/20

@Alex95 - 7/20

@FrogLenzen - 12/20

@Solaris - 12/20

@jarmon - 14/20

@QueenKalie - 14/20

@Zoey - 18/20

@*Diana - 18/20

@*Chris - 20/20

Elliott

Flawless. I saw him perform this live and needed several moments. :D~

Hayden

For a lot of the season, I feel like Clark definitely leaned towards older songs, which he generally excelled at. This (along with Sunday Morning among others) proved that Clark was able to take on anything.

Wally

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611fe59ac875f92e9f6a6

I remember being really surprised when Clark sang "Earned It," which I believe was the Judges Choice pick? This is really quite a sexy song and yeah it was just surprising hearing this from Clark. But I do really love this performance and thought he did a fantastic job there. I'm not sure where it ranks amongst my favorite Clark performances but it's up there from him. :yes: I do like how he showed off the modern contemporary side of himself as an artist and connected with the feel of the song. As usual, he delivered such a fantastic vocal performance. I do like how he starts off the slowly in a lower register voice, but I love how he picks it up and sings in falsetto where he sings the pre-chorus part of the song. I do love all of the vocal changes and ad-libs he makes here throughout the song. LOL I LOVE how Jennifer Lopez is getting all into this performance too. :giggle:

I love how Clark continues to pick up the song when he gets to the bridge of the song where he sings: 

On that lonely night
We said it wouldn't be love
But we felt the rush
It made us believe it was only us, only us
Convinced we were broken inside

I love how he sings that "inssssiiidddeeeeee" part. But then after that, Clark gets all gritty, grimmy and puts his stank on that song where he sings that last chorus section once again!

'Cause, girl, you're perfect
The way you work it
'Cause, girl, you eaaarrrrnnneeeed it
you're perfect
The way you work it
girl, you eaaarrrrnnneeeed iiiitttt

Those high notes he sings there? He was SANGING it and killing it there! :omg: That was some insane and killer vocals from Clark there. :dead: I just love the theatrics and drama he brought to this performance, which was different but very cool from him.

Megan

Clark had all the charisma of a fancy hotel lounge singer on the season. But this was actually very good.

JC

least fave of the Clark ones, but still better than most others

Alex

Clark owes the judges big time for forcing him to step out of his comfort zone. Clark having charisma? Clark doing something daring and sexy? I never thought I'd see the day. This is easily Clark's best performance on the show.

Derek

Seems good on paper. But this is a miss. The first half was just not stable or confident enough. It's pretty obvious that this is a newer addition to his repertoire

Chris

My most unpopular opinion : It is easily the most overrated performance of the season, in my opinion. I actually hated everything about this performance, beside his vocals - the arrangements were not it which resulted in the song / performance having no sex appeal, especially considering the "feel". of the original song.

2. Joey Cook "Fancy"

pvD0F6R.png

6.9/20

Watch Here

@totes4totes - 1/20

@goofycilla90 - 1/20

@jarmon - 1/20

@Alex95 - 1/20

@hayden98 - 1/20

@*Amanda - 3/20

@Solaris - 3/20

@*Chris - 4/20

@Elliott - 6/20

@Zoey - 6/20

@sublymonal - 6/20

@1234567890 - 7/20

@*Diana - 8/20

@FrogLenzen - 9/20

@*Wallace - 9/20

@taylorkat - 10/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 11/20

@JC - 14/20

@Steven_ - 17/20

@QueenKalie - 20/20

Megan

My favorite Joey performances didn't make the final 20 so I guess I'll put this here.

Alex

The entire competition I saw something amazing in Joey that was waiting to come out. I was afraid she was gonna get lost in the fray unfortunately. Then she came out with "Fancy" and made herself a frontrunner. What a Moment. Joey correctly gives credit to PMJB but she added her own little quirks here and there. Who would've thought an Iggy Azalea cover would be the best thing to come out of this season?

Hayden

I mean, duh. Joey’s jazzy, PMJB take on “Fancy” was absolute perfection and I’m bitter that Idol never made an iTunes version of it.

Sola

my predicted winner I think

Chris

Still not over how Joey was being done dirty in this rankdown, but not surprising considering there's quite a few "non-fan" of Joey in this rankdown. Anyway, this performance was everything and one of the most memorable performance of the season. 

Elliott

The most original performance that season and one I hope does well.

Derek

Mrs. Lenzen from across the room: "Is this some weird white girl???" Yes. Yes it is. Well at least she is interesting and is actually trying things that are out of the box I guess? I think this could have used maybe... 3 more weeks of rehearsals? To really nail down the musical choices in the first verse? I'm still in shock that this is a thing that Happened on this show.

Wally

tumblr_nl4k4xAqrs1r1p452o1_640.gifv

I'm sure everyone knows I'm not a Joey fan, especially as Elliott keeps on mentioning it in the thread. :dead: But I do shockingly love her "Fancy" performance. At the airing of the show, I didn't want to admit to liking or digging this performance. Overtime I have grown to love it so I can .... be okay with admitting that. This is also easily my favorite performance of Joey's so I am not mad at all this is in the finals. But yeah, I still pretty much strongly disliked everything she sang before this song.... so this performance really took me by surprise when it happened. I will give Joey credit here, in that I thought this was a really fresh, creative and cool arrangement. It has that PostModern Jukebox feel to it, which I believe she credited. I do love how she took a jazz approach with this song to make it suit her. I actually kinda like Joey doing jazz arrangements of songs. :ph34rwave: I guess this was the first time I didn't find her singing annoying. It also helps that I do love the song too.

This was just such a fun performance. There were a few parts I found really fun and catchy, such as the opening line where she sings:

First things first, I'm the realest.

I also like the part where she sings:

You should want a bad chick like this (Huh?)
Drop it low and pick it up just like this (Yeah)

I really enjoy how she sang the chorus of the song, but especially the part where she sings: from L.A. to Tokyo

Ugh why is that part so catchy. :/ But she does a lot of funny facial expressions, especially with her eyes that crack me up here. :haha: I do like how she built up the song for the most part here too. She had a lot of fun with this performance here.

Joey is quite polarizing so I have no idea where this performance will rank. I can definitely see it cracking the Top 10 for sure. Top 5 is possible, which I do think this is deserving to make. I just hope it doesn't do well enough to win. :haha: But if all the Clark and JAX performances get tankings, it could happen. It could also be the highest ranked non Clark/JAX performance too, but we'll seee.

JC

just not my vibe

1. Clark Beckham "The Trouble With Love Is"

TtEf2pD.png

6.9/20

Watch Here

@*Amanda - 1/20

@Elliott - 1/20

@Steven_ - 1/20

@*Wallace - 1/20

@*Chris - 1/20

@1234567890 - 1/20

@sublymonal - 1/20

@goofycilla90 - 2/20

@FrogLenzen - 3/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 3/20

@JC - 4/20

@totes4totes - 5/20

@hayden98 - 5/20

@*Diana - 9/20

@Alex95 - 11/20

@QueenKalie - 15/20

@Zoey - 16/20

@jarmon - 18/20

@Solaris - 20/20

@taylorkat - 20/20

Elliott

Even Kelly Clarkson was shook :wub:

Wally

tumblr_nm5okaK7S01r1p452o1_640.gifv

I really love Clark's “The Trouble With Love Is” and I am not entirely sure or positive, but I do think I view this as both my favorite Clark performance and favorite performance of the season. I am glad that Steven protected this both times and brought this to the finals (with Derek), as I had other agendas to focus on. #bless. :haha: Clark was delivering such strong and amazing performances week after week on the first half of the finals, but this one always stuck out in a great way for me. This is one of Kelly's most soulful (and UNDERRATED!) songs, and it really was the perfect choice for Clark. I love this song and love everything that Clark did with this song. I love the soul and emotion that he sang and brought here with this song. He sounded fantastic on the opening verse of the song. He also sounded fantastic singing the chorus of the song:

The trouble with love is
It can tear you up inside
Make your heart believe a lie
It's stronger than your pride
The trouble with love is
It doesn't care how fast you fall
And you can't refuse the call
See, you got no say at all

SUCH GOOD STUFF! (!) But then the performance gets even better and into SLAYAGE level where he gets into the bridge of the song:

Every time I turn around
I think I've got it all figured out
My heart keeps callin' and I keep on fallin'
Over and over again
This sad story always ends the same
Me standin' in the pourin' rain
It seems no matter what I do
It tears my heart in twwwwooooo
It doesn't care how fast you fall
And you can't refuse the call
See, that's the trouble with
that's the trouble with..... lllloooovvveeeeee

YES, SANG CLARK. SANG! :omg: I just love all of those high notes with him just riffing and bringing on those  gritty vocals he hits! :omg: I also really love and felt he put his own stamp on this song to truly make it his own. :omg: I would love for this performance to win this game, but sadly Clark is too polarizing and I am sure this might get too many low or tanked rankings for him to pull out the win. :( But nothing will ever take away from what an amazing and epic this performance is from Clark!

Chris

Clark was always hit or miss for me, there was something that was not connecting for me. However, this performance just click - everything about it was amazing, and it is easily my favourite performance of him, and my favourite of the season. 

JC

STUNNING

Megan

This isn't my favorite Clark song but it is Elliott's so it's in my Top 5.

Hayden

I still come back to this performance periodically. This was soooo good!

Alex

It's interesting that the weird man talking before the performance in the video said this could become a Moment while I'd argue this is our first winner yet that wasn't a Moment at all. I was shocked by the passion behind this performance and this win. Clark did a great job and sang it well. That last note was rough, but I can forgive it. But performance of the season? I dunno about that. Ugh I was soooooo tempted to just bump this down a point on my ranking so we could get the Right winner, but if I wasn't gonna rig things for Elise...sorry Joey not about to do that for you :dead:

Sola

I actually really like this, but I payback is real.

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 14 - 5-1 Posted)
3 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

That's right folks, taking things back all the way to S1, we had another tie for the win! The more number one rankings broke the tie and it was clear which performance that unfortunately was.

Take that crossed out text and apply it to the S1 tie, tyvm. 😘