American Idol Renewed!

Carrie_On

26 minutes ago, indii said:

They need to make some major changes next season. ABC still hasn't produced a single good season of Idol.

I agree. Less talking and more singing. I want Nigel Lythgoe back. I’m sure he’s learned from the S12 blunder. I did enjoy Season 16 but the past two seasons have been poorly managed, even though the talent has been great. 

I'm happy for the renewal but the show needs major overhaul. They need to get rid of Bobby, fix their format and the judges need to critique more and not just let everyone think they are amazing. The contestants hardly show any progress or growth because no one is giving actual feedback they can use. It's like The Voice. They are judges not mentors; act like it.

35 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

I'm happy for the renewal but the show needs major overhaul. They need to get rid of Bobby, fix their format and the judges need to critique more and not just let everyone think they are amazing. The contestants hardly show any progress or growth because no one is giving actual feedback they can use. It's like The Voice. They are judges not mentors; act like it.

Yeah, they need someone like Simon Cowell on the judging panel. Everyone is too nice and it just gets very blah if they're not going to give productive feedback.

Bobby is so unnecessary I literally skip over his sections.

Seeing that auditions are already being held, this wasn't any surprise.

1 hour ago, indii said:

They need to make some major changes next season. ABC still hasn't produced a single good season of Idol.

I'll give this season a pass because of COVID-19. The main issue I have with the other two seasons is there weren't enough live shows. One change I would like to see is less audition and Hollywood episodes and more live shows.

If they would listen to the fans they would know we want less focus on auditions and hollywood and more focus on lives! I get that had the virus not have happened we wouldve had 8 LIVE episodes, which is an improvement from S16's 5 Live Episodes and S17's 6 Live Episodes, but we want the old idol back with only person going home per week! 

8 hours ago, Carrie_On said:

I agree. Less talking and more singing. I want Nigel Lythgoe back.

Everyone says this, but I think people forget how terrible a lot of his decisions were. As EP, he waited way too long to let the show embrace social media, he was constantly picking themes that pre-dated even the eldest alumni and the productions shenanigans were insane (though he managed to hide several of them better than the current producers are doing).

Keep him away from Idol. He’s already ruined SYTYCD enough.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, voicefan77 said:

Let Katy,  Luke and Bobby go, keep Lionel and obviously Ryan. I've been watching old Idol seasons and I miss the old format. They need to give us more live rounds, bring back celebrity guest mentors.

I don’t mind Katy but I do think that Luke and Bobby should go.  Or at least Bobby.

I watched the first run on ABC but haven’t been watching Laine’s season or this one. I used to love Idol back in the day and watched every season from 5 onwards, even the terrible FOX seasons. But once season 17 came around, I just kind of lost interest on top of not having time to dedicate 2-4 hours a week to watching one show. I passively keep up through blog recaps, here, the YouTube posts of their performances, or through my boyfriend who watches. 

The episodes are just too long. If they were cut down maybe to 1 hour I might watch. The auditions especially are tedious to me. I get they draw in the highest ratings but I personally always hated spending so much time on contestants we never see again. At least if they cut out most of the backstories and we just heard them sing it might be more tolerable. But 6 episodes just spent on auditions was part of the reason I dipped. I just don’t care. Get to the good stuff once the weak contestants have been weeded out and we are in Hollywood/Hawaii/lives.

The amount of so few live shows also doesn’t help the contestants grow or establish a strong fan base to take with them after the show. It feels like a lot of buildup just for only a few weeks of actual competition and that’s probably another reason why I didn’t feel it was worth my time watching. The judges’ critiques are usually useless as well. If you skip all the dreck, you can probably cut the show down to 30-40 minutes. IMO the format just really needs to be reworked to make the episodes shorter and cut out some of the useless stuff. 

19 hours ago, Carrie_On said:

I did enjoy Season 16 but the past two seasons have been poorly managed, even though the talent has been great. 

Yes. Season 16 cast was mediocre at best, but I still enjoyed it the most out of all the three seasons. While Season 17/18 had pretty decent talent, it just isn't doing it for me. Probably COVID is to blame for Season 18, so we'll see with 19. 

9 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I don’t mind Katy but I do think that Luke and Bobby should go.  Or at least Bobby.

I don't mind Katy when she is not dressing up like a bottle of hand sanitizer. :dead: Dressing up for Disney week is fine but other than that keep the costumes at home. :haha:

We need new judges and we don't need Bobby Bones. Keep Ryan of course!

Also please less auditions!! Hollywood Week is good, and I love more live shows.

Also please don't bring the show back until this pandemic is over because I won't sit through another at home mess :haha:

Edited by frederick

On 5/16/2020 at 9:38 AM, BogoGog24 said:

The episodes are just too long. If they were cut down maybe to 1 hour I might watch. The auditions especially are tedious to me. I get they draw in the highest ratings but I personally always hated spending so much time on contestants we never see again. At least if they cut out most of the backstories and we just heard them sing it might be more tolerable. But 6 episodes just spent on auditions was part of the reason I dipped. I just don’t care. Get to the good stuff once the weak contestants have been weeded out and we are in Hollywood/Hawaii/lives.

Since ABC took over, the auditions have been reverse-engineered to highlight the T20 (or 24 or whatever the number is after the last pre-taped show.) A healthy chunk of audition time is spent on singers you can vote for. Obviously, there are some other contestants, but the audition episodes are more useful under the current production team, not less useful.

Edited by AngelaKD

52 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

Since ABC took over, the auditions have been reverse-engineered to highlight the T20 (or 24 or whatever the number is after the last pre-taped show.) A healthy chunk of audition time is spent on singers you can vote for. Obviously, there are some other contestants, but the audition episodes are more useful under the current production team, not less useful.

yea, and they spread them out pretty evenly throughout the audition episodes

9 hours ago, NoBoundaries said:

Bobby is a must-go.

Katy can stay. Ryan can stay.

Others...if they keep saying "You're going to be a star, my friend..." send packing please

Agreed.  At least one of them needs to be a bit more critical.  And I would certainly get rid of Bobby too.