American Idol vs The Voice

Dai

American Idol vs The Voice  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which show is your favorite this year?

• American Idol
    • The Voice

Both shows are ending soon, and I wanted to know what was IDF’s opinion about both shows going against each other this year.

I know this will be posted in The Voice subforum, but I hope people are as unbiased as they can 😉

Edited by Daillon

Comparing AI's final 7 to TV's final 9, The Voice was far better this year.

On AI the only singers left that I actually care about are Arthur and Francisco and the top 20 was mostly dead weight.

On TV, I have some interest in almost every contestant remaining and the top 17 was fantastic overall.

The Voice , I´ve really been enjoying this season, shame that we only got 3 live shows, but I´ll take it as short but sweet. 

AI was INSANE last year ( I preferred it to the Voice S16) but this season just didn´t do it for me.

1 hour ago, Misirlou said:

The Voice , I´ve really been enjoying this season, shame that we only got 3 live shows, but I´ll take it as short but sweet. 

AI was INSANE last year ( I preferred it to the Voice S16) but this season just didn´t do it for me.

Even if TV16 was utter trash and I would prefer almost everything over it, AI17 was as tragic as TV16 or even worse. It started great and with a lot of promise, but it went downhill FAST.

Luckily I had a snowflake (Jeremiah) who was consistently amazing, but got robbed by some of the worst contestants ever on AI (Alejandro and Wade). I kinda liked Madison and Laci, but the first was inconsistent as hell and the latter crashed and burned in the lives. And at least The Voice had a good winner that year, I cannot say the same for AI (the other options weren’t any better tho)

As for this year, I agree with you. AI had a promising cast but in the end everyone turned out to be very boring (not bad, they just bore me to tears)

I hope AI can recover some of the quality they had in the past (S7, S8, S11),

because I like their format more, but IMO right now The Voice is way ahead in terms of talent and quality.

Edited by Daillon
  • Like 1

i have more attachment with my remaining siggy idol contestants than the voice artists - also idol's home format (sans disney night) feels much more organic than than the voice's...and tv's sound quality/volume for last night's show was horrendous and all over the place 

talent/character-wise:

dillon/francisco < tstorm

sam >>>>> megan

julia/sophia >>> allegra/joanna/zan

jonny/louis = camm/micah

grace/makayla = toneisha 

arthur/jovin = todd

and of course social media-wise:

idol >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> voice

I prefer TV

Idol I liked Arthur and thought he would be interesting, but his latest performances were ... :wacko: . Just Sam and Fransisco are good. I don't care with the rest.

The Voice My top 3 favorites are still in (Thunderstorm, Todd, and Joanna), and the fact that 2 of them were my pre-show favorites makes it more exciting to me. I also don't hate anyone in the top 9.

• Like 1

Idol maybe the better show format-wise and artist treatment-wise, but as long they cling to their ageist/lookist method of "searching for the next big star", imma stick to The Voice. I don't watch these shows to get invested in a reality show storyline, I watch for the artists they attract, and The Voice just does a better job at casting talent than AI.

26 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Someone like Thunderstorm would be better off on Idol, IMO. 

The talent gap between the two shows is ginormous this season. 

Agreed. Thunderstorm would have won Idol if he was on it (I know Arthur has a lot of hype, but I don’t think he would be able to beat him) and he would have had a better run when it comes to song choices and showing himself as an artist (one of the best things in Idol)

Truthfully, both kind of suck. I knew that would be the case with the "at home" format, but I was expecting The Voice to blow American Idol out of the water and that has not been the case. It's kind of funny how both shows will probably have a finale with 4 guys and 1 girl. I will say I like Thunderstorm and CamWess the best out of both groups of contestants. Francisco and Micah are cool. Don't really care for any of the girls on either show. Joanna is probably my favorite but she hasn't really lived up to what she could've done in this competition. 

• Haha 1

I can’t really be unbiased because I only watched last night for The Voice and I have watched every episode of Idol. I think that Idol went downhill fast when the public started voting. Also, Arthur is one of my least favorites of all seasons and he will probably win. This is now one of my least favorite seasons of Idol.

I was not that impressed with The Voice last night. I was expecting it to be miles better than Idol and I don’t think it was. I doubt I will watch the results show tonight and I am undecided about whether I will watch next week.

The Voice is actually way better than American Idol for me (especially this season). I am a fan of both shows, watching EVERY SINGLE episode of them. Let me tell you why:

1. The Voice has much more exciting rounds for artist to compete with (Blind Auditions, Battle Rounds, and Knockouts). Everything about The Voice itself is exciting, the steals, saves, twists, etc.

2. The Voice is MORE focusing on the talent of the artists, yeah sometimes, they highlight that that person is a survivor, an old actress, etc. but not like Idol who, every audition takes A LOT of time for showing the contestant's backstory.

3. The Voice is showing the full performances of contestants (unless they're montaged). But in Idol, FOR GOD'S SAKE, they won't even show the contestant's full performance because they have always someone talking in the background ugh.

4. Ever since the "rebirth" of American Idol, they've became so boring to watch. Why? It is because they always go for a singer-songwritter type of person, that person who is freakin' boring to listen to. Especially this season, look at the top 7, 5 of them actually ALMOST sounds all the same, and it is freakin' irritating.

5. But in terms of making an artist shine outside the competition, I gotta admit though Idol is way better than The Voice.

OPINION: American Idol Earlier Seasons IS WAAAY BETTER THAN 16-18

• Like 2

7 hours ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

The Voice is actually way better than American Idol for me (especially this season). I am a fan of both shows, watching EVERY SINGLE episode of them. Let me tell you why:

1. The Voice has much more exciting rounds for artist to compete with (Blind Auditions, Battle Rounds, and Knockouts). Everything about The Voice itself is exciting, the steals, saves, twists, etc.

2. The Voice is MORE focusing on the talent of the artists, yeah sometimes, they highlight that that person is a survivor, an old actress, etc. but not like Idol who, every audition takes A LOT of time for showing the contestant's backstory.

3. The Voice is showing the full performances of contestants (unless they're montaged). But in Idol, FOR GOD'S SAKE, they won't even show the contestant's full performance because they have always someone talking in the background ugh.

4. Ever since the "rebirth" of American Idol, they've became so boring to watch. Why? It is because they always go for a singer-songwritter type of person, that person who is freakin' boring to listen to. Especially this season, look at the top 7, 5 of them actually ALMOST sounds all the same, and it is freakin' irritating.

5. But in terms of making an artist shine outside the competition, I gotta admit though Idol is way better than The Voice.

OPINION: American Idol Earlier Seasons IS WAAAY BETTER THAN 16-18

This 100% man. The Voice is such an exciting reality TV show in a way, AI is meh and boring, I can't bring myself to watch it, haven't for a long time.

I think I stopped watching a couple of seasons after the Adam Lambert season, and X Factor US/UK became my favorite show, I stopped watching these type of shows in 2016 and then started watching TV in 2018. However, yeah TV doesn't make any stars, even their biggest stars like Cassade or Jordan are C+ compared to some AI icons (like Kelly lol). 

I have a lot of criticism for The Voice though, I feel the montages are unfair, they show a lot of unnecessary shit, there is no constructive criticism.. (or rarely) and this infuriates me "everyone is sooo great'. FFS NO.  A lot of these criticism go AI as well, but what I don't like about AI is the CRINGE INDUCING SOB STORIES, I can't stand that.  

Finale ratings

The Idol finale averaged 7.26 million viewers and a 1.0 rating among adults 18-49, up by about 1.1 million viewers from a week ago and the most viewers for the show since March.

The Voice averaged 7.55 million viewers, its highest mark since April 20, and a 1.0 rating among adults 18-49 (up from 0.9 last week)...