Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

U8FI.gif

While it’s by far the best movie (and book) of the franchise, this is a fair spot for the last one left to go out in imo (plus it’s still a cheap copy of Battle Royale and who’s gonna stop me from saying that?). Released in 2013, it’s the second movie in that the franchise, was directed by Francis Lawrence with Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth reprising their roles (too lazy to even add the rest of the cast). tl;dr Panem is still freaked, Katniss and Peeta got screwed bc of Katniss saviour complex acting at the worst time in the previous movie so thwy have to play the game again (this time WaW edition) all while a revolution is brewing. Surprisingly for a huge film it delivers in spades (the franchise suicide came in movie 3 by pulling a HP and thinking that splitting a bad book into 2 movies was a good idea. Obligatory Reminder that we owe a ton to D*vergent for flopping so hard that it killed the trend. Thx Shailene Woodley ily bb). A fine movie, but about time it left.

Save: Young Adult

Edited by NGM

First Man (2018 dir. by Damien Chazelle)

tumblr_plpk4v6auK1s14k1wo9_500.gifv

A 2018 biographical drama film based on the 2005 book First Man: The Life of Neil A. Armstrong by James R. Hansen. Directed by Damien Chazelle, written by Josh Singer, and executive produced by Steven Spielberg, the film stars Ryan Gosling as Neil Armstrong and follows the years leading up to the Apollo 11 mission in 1969. The film also stars Claire Foy, Jason Clarke, Kyle Chandler, Corey Stoll, Christopher Abbott, and CIarán Hinds in major roles, all of them portraying real-life figures of course. 

The film was originally purchased by Clint Eastwood way back in 2003, which shows the journey this film took to come to fruition. Made on a $70 million budget, I was actually quite surprised that this film earned the money all back at the box office - $105.7 million in total. Maybe because the life of Neil Armstrong has been told before and has been known for quite some time. It's kind of boring at this point to hear about the Apollo 11 mission to the moon, since I have heard so much about it all my life. Thanks to a Dad very interested in all things astrophysics, etc. A life about Neil Armstrong just seemed quite boring. 

The movie turned out to be very boring. Very well-acted. Very well-made. But really, really boring. I just think I expect my movies about space exploration to be a bit more showy and exciting. Foy and Gosling gave extremely real and competent performances. But nothing that really wowed me. Chazelle's direction of the film might be the best aspect of the film itself. The film is skillfully and carefully crafted, but that is sort of the issue with the film. On all ends, it delivers what it is supposed to. But the movie was always set up to deliver something underwhelming. Because the story is underwhelming. Because we know it and have heard it 1000 times.

The movie released to critical acclaim and a lot of positive attention. Many years-end lists. 112 Award nominations in total, including two Golden Globe noms and four Academy Award noms, winning one of the latter for Best Visual Effects. Like I said, the best aspects of the film lie in the production quality, sound, and visual effects. Of course, there was a lot of controversy over the decision to omit the planting of the American flag on the moon. From both major US political parties. Good lord. Our country is disastrous. The movie was also criticized for factual errors.

Sorry to any fans, but this film just really underwhelmed me and has been saved a thousand times at this point. So it's a fair cut it seems.

SAVING: Midsommar

THE HATEFUL EIGHT

quentin tarantino film GIF

This takes out the last remaining Quentin Tarantino film from the Rankdown. Like I said yesterday and probably throughout this thread, he should have just stopped after Kill Bill. Volume 1, even. Vivica A Fox's segment >>>>>>>. This is a 2015 revisionist Western mystery film written and directed by Quentin Tarantino. The film stars Samuel L. Jackson, Kurt Russell, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Walton Goggins, Demián Bichir, Tim Rother, Michael Madsen and Bruce Dern as eight strangers who seek refuge in a blizzard in a stagecoach stopover some time after the American Civil War. Apparently right as he started to make the film, the script was leaked so he decided to cancel the movie. I would have preferred that. But he resumed and this is the final film of his to have the involvement of The Weinstein Company. Disgusting. But at least he severed ties with them. #lowstandards The movie was released to critical acclaim and box office success, but also garnered controversy due to race issues as always and for the violence against the only female character. Sounds like a Tarantino film. I didn't really care for it, tbh.

SAVE: The Witch

MOANA (2016)

giphy.gif

200.gif

People are starting to take out movies that I love left and right now, so I'm just cutting whatever I feel like now. 🙂 Moana was definitely one of the best original Disney movies of this decade, and I really enjoyed parts of it (Maui's You're Welcome scene is definitely the best part of the movie). I also love the Polynesian representation here because the Pacific Islands deserve respect and representation in Hollywood too! However, I didn't love the movie as a whole and I don't even think I finished it lmfao. Moana is a 2016 animated movie that grossed nearly $700 million, so it was a huge success for the Disney franchise. It follows Moana, the daughter of a Polynesian chief who is chosen by the ocean to meet the goddess Te Fiti and reunite her with a mystical relic. It has the basic, girl who is overlooked but actually saves the day story trope but it tells it in a really engaging and fun way. I like the story but again it's not one of my favorite Disney movies and I'll let it go here.

Saving: Jojo Rabbit

• Sad 1

The Lego Movie

The_Lego_Movie_poster.jpg

I tend to avoid cutting movies I have not seen. The movies I have seen on these nominations, I am not cutting. So sorry to the Lego Movie. I really have heard pretty much all good things about this movie. Wiki confirmed this. It's animation, acting, story and humor are all positives. It was nominated/won lots of different awards. This includes BAFTA, Critic's Choice, Saturn Award and Golden Globes. The poster and the trailers made this look like a shameless money grab. Yay for that seeming to be inaccurate.  This movie made a freaking ton of money at Box Office. A little over 468 million from about 65 million budget. Because this movie is so profitable, it had sequels and spin offs. 

Saving I, Tonya

split-586148c56765f.png

51e463dbef69146bdb238741a284c00b.gif

I am cutting another movie that I have yet to watch; In fact, I've never heard of this movie until now so its quite impressive that it made it this far. The movie is psychological horror film from the Unbreakable trilogy which was was written, directed and produced by M. Night Shyamalan. In the lead role of the movie, James McAvoy stars alongside Anya Taylor-Joy and Betty Buckley. In the movie, we are introduced to a man who has 24 different personalities who ends up kidnapping three teenage girls and lock them up in an underground facility. It seems that the movie was a success and receive positive reviews notably James McAvoy's personality . Anyway, the premise of the movie sounds interesting but out of the nominated movies I am cutting this one. 

SAVING: HARRIET

Edited by *Chris