Television Shows Rankdown

Steven_

1280px-Mindhunter_Logo.svg.png

MINDHUNTER

This is a show I really like and I want to write a good write up for this but I'm so exhausted but I will still try my best. This show is an American crime thriller television series and is based on a true-crime book, "Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit" written by John E. Douglas and Mark Olshaker. The show stars Special Agent Holden Ford, who is played by the gorgeous and very talented Jonathan Groff, who works for the FBI. He responds to cases and teaches the new agents the ins and outs of law enforcement but not everyone was welcoming of his ideas of psychology. He works with another Special agent named Bill Tench and a psychologist named Wendy Carr played by the amazing Anna Torv. Ford, however, has a burning interest in what makes a criminal, especially a murderer, tick. There is also a student named Debbie who forms a relationship with Ford.

Ugh this is a good show but I'm really tired now. I'll just edit this later and hope that this is at least 100 words. 

SAVING: AMERICAN HORROR STORY: MURDER HOUSE

• Like 1

tumblr_mtr4e4BMte1rsbftzo9_500.gif

1470223890-american-horror-sory-coven-li

Not necessarily the cut I was hoping to make, but as its time in the rankdown was limited, it makes sense that I am the one that is cutting it - this way, the show can get a write-up from someone who loves it. And now, let's get to the show: American Horror Story: Coven is the third season of Ryan Murphy's anatology series known as American Horror Story.  It premiered on FX in 2013. It features some of the beloved actors and actresses of the American Horror Story franchise - these individuals are  Sarah Paulson, Taissa Farmiga, Frances Conroy, Evan Peters, Lily Rabe, Denis O’Hare, Jamie Brewer, and Jessica Lange. And it also introduced other actresses to the franchise, these actresses are known as Kathy Bates, Emma Roberts, Angela Basset, and Gabourey Sidibe. 

American Horror Story: Coven starts off with the introduction of Zoe Benson, portrayed by Taissa Farmiga, who finds out that she is descendant from Salem which makes her a witch. She finds this information, the hard way – she realizes it while having sex with her boyfriend where her powers leads to causing hemorrhaging and death to whoever she is having sexual intercourse with. To protect from the real world, her parents sends her to a Coven in New Orleans which is run by Cordelia Foxx – the purpose of the Coven is to teach young witches, like Zoe, how to survive in the modern world.  Zoe is not the only student at the Coven – the other witches are Madison (Emma Roberts) whose power is to move object with her mind, Nan (Jamie Brewer) who can hear other people’s thoughts, and Queenie (Gabourey Sidibe) who is a human voodoo doll. The reality of being a witch hit reality for these young witches when Misty Day (Lily Rabe) is burned at the stake which forces Fiona Good (Jessica Lange), the supreme and Cordelia’s mom, to arrive at the coven to protect them.

At the end of the first episode, we are introduced to Madame Delphine LaLaurie who was dug up alive – partially thanks to Nan ability of hearing thoughts. Fiona who is losing her youth proceed to ask Madame Delphine LaLaurie to provide her with her secret to keep her youth – we find out Madame LaLaurie had a spell cast on her by the voodoo priestess, Marie Laveau (Angela Basset), who then buried her alive. This leads to Fiona to make her way to the Laveau which leads to a rivalry between the witches and the voodoo practioners.

tumblr_nm1u098Db01uovdfco1_r1_500.gifv

Fiona quickly realizes that she is dying, since a new supreme is rising. And nothing will stop Fiona from ensuring her livelihood – she quickly realizes that Madison is developing new power which lead to Fiona taking Madison under her wing. Fiona realizes that Madison is the new supreme so she ensures to get rid of her – in a effed up twist, Madison is suddenly treated as a doll by Spalding, the mute butler of the Academy. But Madison’s murder does not go without notice as the Zoe and the gang start investigating the situation, and the Council of Witchcraft arrives at the Academy – while at the Academy, an attack on Cordelia occurs which Fiona try to blame Myrtle who is burn at the stake for harming another witch. However, Myrtle’s death was short-lived when Misty Day resurrected her.   

While all of this is happening, other witches are realizing their new power; Cordelia develops the power of second sight which leads her to find out about her husband who is a witch hunter. Cordelia is not the only witch realizing that she has new power – Zoe was able to unleash the Axeman, she found a new power when she was faced with death, and cast a spell to restore Spalding’s tongue to find out Fiona is Madison’s murderer. Misty and Myrtle both arrive at the Coven for their own safety – they have to prepare for the Sacred Taking ritual where a supreme takes their own life to ensure the safety of the coven. And much to Fiona’s delight, she is reunited with Madison – resurrected by Misty Day. 

giphy.gif ySDkC87.gif

Now that everyone is reunited, Nan’s powers are becoming stronger where she is becoming a clairvoyant as well as controlling people’s action by controlling their mind. Unfortunately for Nan, this power led her to a dark path which means that she is not the supreme. But back in the coven, Myrtle restores Cordelia’s eyes which means that Cordelia lost her second sight. And for Misty Day? Fiona is feeling threatened by her so she ensures to get on Misty’s good side by showing the power of the supreme – introducing Misty to her idol, Stevie Nicks.  Fiona’s life is coming to an end where she decided to make amend with Cordelia by giving her a family heirloom – this led to Cordelia regaining her Second Sight and seeing the future. She reveals what she saw to the Axeman which led to Fiona’s murder.

While all of that happened,  Queenie and Madame LaLaurie are bonding where she is being told that the other witches will never accept her due to her race. Following this conversation, she decides to reach out to Marie to join the voodoo practitioners – she must bring Delphine to Marie. This decision may come with a price for Queenie who later summons Papa Legba which led her to her personal hell – she eventually kills Delphine LaLaurie which inadvertently kill Marie.  Following this, Queenie decides to return to the Coven knowing that she can fit in and she may have the powers to become the next supreme.

Now at the Coven, the young witches - Zoe, Madison, Misty, and Queenie - are undergoing the test of the 7 wonders to find out who is the next supreme – they must successfully accomplish all the tasks. The first task is to bring their spirits to their personal hell and return before sunrise – they all succeed expect 1 witch who is now stuck in her personal hell.  And now, the witches must complete the act of transmutation which led to one witch death where one which is unable to bring her back to life, and another one refuses to do so. This led to Myrtle convincing Cordelia to take part in the Seven Wonders – Cordelia realize that she is the new supreme when she resurrects one of the witch. And with that, a new era of the coven begins!

While this season had some random storylines – Kyle storyline and the Madison vs. Zoe feud, and Stevie Nicks’s guest appearance, it was a strong season due to it being able to provide us some funny moments especially Queenie & Madame LaLaurie’s interaction. And the acting in this season was amazing – Lily Rabe, Denis O’Hare, Frances Conroy, Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson, Kathy Bates, Angela Basset, Jamie Brewer, and Gabourey Sidibe were all brilliant in their respective role.  I will conclude by saying that I would rank this series in my Top 3 of the American Horror Story franchise as for me, this season was one of the last good one.  And now, let’s look back at some of the iconic gif moments that was provided to us by this season.

e24bfdbf3e391938b371d1a7cff2b075.gif

tumblr_osbc87xv9x1rr9hnvo1_r2_500.gifv

source.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=5919867

ebe8d2798c5c152af963780584c1d8fc.gif

SAVING: DOWNTON ABBEY

Edited by *Chris

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

maiselapv.png

giphy.gif

Okayy so I definitely heard of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, but it is a show I never properly seen before so I don’t know what it’s about. Sorry to the fans of this cut, but I did feel it was gonna be tough making a cut…. and it certainly is at this point of the game. And I know this show was nominated a lot recently as well.Time to learn about this show.

The Marvelous Miss. Maisel is a comedy-drama and period drama that was created by Amy Sherman-Palladino. The Marvelous Miss. Maisel airs on Amazon Prime Video and begun airing on March 17, 2017 and is still ongoing. So far it has 3 seasons and 26 episodes under its belt. Some of the stars include: Rachel Brosnahan, Alex Borstein, Michael Zegen, Marin Hinkle, Tony Shalhoub, Kevin Pollak, Caroline Aaron and Jane Lynch. Ooh I know of a few of these names - mostly familiar with Alex Borstein and Jane Lynch. 

The Marvelous Miss. Maisel takes place in the late 1950s and early 1960s in New York City, where Miriam Maisel, is a Jewish American housewife that discovers her hidden talent and love for stand-up comedy and does everything she can to pursue and work hard at that. Miriam actually does and finds this talent from a drunken night she has from delivering an impromptu comedy set and she has a successful first night stint at it. Her businessman husband Joel, leaves her, so she works as a make-up counter girl at B. Altman, in order to make ends meets. Ooh i guess Miriam was inspired to do standup comedy because of her husband Joel’s failed attempt of it which is what drives him to leave her. Jeez he sounds like a lovely person, huh 🙂 OK I think i explained enough without getting too spoilery about it. But from reading and writing about it, I think I could enjoy it maybe? Sorry for its cut but it did have me a bit interested in its storyline.

The Marvelous Miss. Maisel is a critically acclaimed successful show having won the Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series (Musical or Comedy) in 2017 and the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Comedy Series in 2018. Rachel Brosnahan and Alex Borstein won Emmys for their work on this show which is really great and impressive.

I will provide a trailer of the first season here.

Saving: Fresh Off the Boat

tenor.gif

True Detective

true detective hbo GIF

Sadly, I am cutting this show because I enjoy pretty much everything left (I’m not familiar with the anime show, but I’ve cut so many of those due to not knowing about them that I want to leave that one alone). I’ve campaigned for its safety in the past, mostly because of the first season which I absolutely loved. 

True Detective is a show that is currently in its 3rd season on HBO, starting back in 2014. It’s an anthology show, with each episode acting as a stand-alone narrative. The first season starred Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson as Louisiana State Police Detectives Rust and Marty. The story jumps back and forth in timeline, spanning a murder investigation over 17 years. Along with the backdrop of the murder, the show explores Marty’s marriage and infidelity towards his wife, and Rust facing some demons of his past. The season was extremely well acted, and Harrelson and McConaughey played very well off of each other. 

I actually wasn’t a huge fan of the 2nd season which starred Collin Farrell, Vince Vaughn and Rachel McAdams, and was set in California. I definitely watched the season, but remember very little about it. Looking at Wikipedia reviews, I wasn’t the only one who wasn’t a huge fan. I have yet to watch the 3rd season (which stars Mahershala Ali), but it sounds like the quality is back up with this season. I’ve seen nothing but praise for his performance.

Even though I’ve tried to save the show before, I feel ok with cutting it here (esp since I was really only saving it based off of my love for that 1 season). I may go back and fix up this write up a bit later, but I just wanted to get something submitted at this point!

Saving: Chernobyl

This is what should be left…. I think for Rei, Elliott, Diana and Anne:

The Americans

Bleach

Homeland

The Killing

Mr. Robot

Sharp Objects

The Sopranos

Vikings

Oops, nevermind.... didn't see Denise's post. :haha:  

2 minutes ago, ~*8Kay8*~ said:

Along with True Detective, it’s sad to lose The Sinner and Mindhunter 💔 Hoping The Killing miraculously survives, otherwise this round was a bloodbath for my crime shows!

Oh no, sorry about that. :( Definitely not intentional. 

5 minutes ago, miss denise said:

Oh no, sorry about that. :( Definitely not intentional. 

No worries! We’re really getting down to difficult decisions for nominations!

Speaking of, I’m starting to look at the list tonight to work on compiling my list... if anyone wants to send me a few safety requests, I will take them into account. Since there’s so few shows left, I would say try to keep it 5 or less? Any more I can’t guarantee safety because I will run out of shows! :haha:

2 minutes ago, ~*8Kay8*~ said:

No worries! We’re really getting down to difficult decisions for nominations!

Speaking of, I’m starting to look at the list tonight to work on compiling my list... if anyone wants to send me a few safety requests, I will take them into account. Since there’s so few shows left, I would say try to keep it 5 or less? Any more I can’t guarantee safety because I will run out of shows! :haha:

:( :hug: 

We can start nominating shows not in the rankdown... like Seinfeld. :giggle: 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

True Detective S1 is AMAZING and I would've fought harder for it if we just had the first season. S2 and S3 were disappointing though.

Exactly! I was literally saving it only for that one season, so it was time to let it go :haha:

Vikings

vikings kathryn GIF

The little show that could that I have managed to drag relatively far. Unfortunately, like most shows, it has been on way too many seasons. It started off very good. Then it had a few too many time jumps without appropriating aging up some of their characters. (By that, I mean one of the women). 

The first few seasons Ragnar is the main character. After that, it follows his many many sons. I am way too lazy and tired to list their names. (yup, even with shows I like). After Ragnar was written off, despite me not particularly liking his character, the show went majorly downhill. I believe it is either on Hulu or amazon prime at this point. You guys should most definitely check it out. 

Saving the Americans

1 hour ago, Alex95 said:

Same person I’m bribing for a Mr. Robot save.

1 hour ago, NGM said:

Vikings 💔

who do I have to bribe to get a Sopranos save????

Elliott and Diana are the last two