Television Shows Rankdown

Steven_

1 hour ago, *Wallace said:

Gah yeah thanks a ton. 😢 I fought really hard to protect Empire and really wanted to get it to the Top 100/150 stage.... so yeah I feel a little a lot stupid changing my save of it now, thinking its popularity could have saved it from someone else. 😢:lmao: Thanks for all of the hugs and support though. ❤️ 

:hug: I know and am sorry. Don't feel stupid, you had a plan and were doing your best. bye2.gif.7960d44992e1eeff806cdce1d9856c29.gif I'm sorry it didn't work out. :hug: Of course. ❤️ 

My Wife & Kids

keep trying damon wayans GIF

My Wife & Kids is a sitcom that aired on ABC from 2001-2005 for a total of five seasons. It starred Damon Wayans and Tisha Campbell-Martin as Michael and Jay Kyle. The show focuses on the challenges they face raising their three children. In the first season, Jay decides she wants to go back to work, leading to Michael needing to spend more time at home with the children. Their oldest son is Michael Jr (or just Junior ). He is portrayed as quite dumb, often getting himself into predicaments and mispronouncing words. Later on in the show, Junior’s girlfriend gets pregnant and they have a baby boy that they also name Michael (or Junior Junior). Claire is their middle child, and makes the transition from preteen to teen in the early episodes, so she faces a lot of the issues that come along with that. Early episodes have her dealing with crushes, the pressure to get a push-up bra, and being embarrassed by her parents. The running gag for her (much like Junior’s lack of intelligence) is that she is clumsy. The third and youngest child is Kady, who is “the cute one.” She is actually quite intelligent, which as she gets older leads to her being manipulative with her siblings and parents to get out of trouble. 

Sadly the show was abruptly canceled after five seasons due to falling ratings. The show ended on a cliffhanger, because they hadn’t realized they weren’t getting renewed. In the fifth season finale, Jay wants Michael to get a vasectomy after reading about a much-older woman having a baby. They spend the entire episode back and forth on whether he will get one, or she will get a hysterectomy. At the end of the episode, Michael decides to go through with it but it is too late. Jay has just found out that she’s pregnant. Sadly, viewers never got to find out what happened with that situation. I believe the show still airs as reruns on several channels. It’s not a show I watched regularly, but I’ve definitely seen reruns of the episodes throughout the years. 

Saving: Sabrina the Teenage Witch

Season 1 Fashion GIF by CBS All Access

14 hours ago, Elliott said:

THE PARKERS

HEYYYYYYY, PROFESSOR OGLEVEE. :wub: The Parkers was a spin-off of Moesha and aired on UPN (RIP :broken:) from 1999 until 2004. It starred the iconic Mo'Nique as Nikki Parker and Countess Vaughn as her daughter Kim Parker, reprising their roles from Moesha. The basic plot of the show was that Nikki Parker goes back to college and becomes classmates with her daughter, Kim, and Kim's friends, Stevie and T (played by Jenna Von Oy and Ken Lawson). Nikki develops a crush on their college professor, Professor Oglevee (played by Dorien Wilson), which is where her catchphrase above comes from. Their relationship also serves as the classic "Will they or won't they?" relationship of the series. Additional supporting characters include Yvette Wilson as Andell, who is Nikki's best friend. They had a neighbour for the first few episodes, but she disappears after the first five episodes and is never referenced again. Must've been casting issues.

Anyway, The Parkers was one show that I used to watch while it was airing, and there are lines from the show that I still quote to this day. It also tackled some serious issues owing to its largely POC cast, such as racism, classism and other forms of prejudice. One plot point that I always admired was Kim dating a single father who ultimately perishes in a fire at the close of one season. The next season continues with Kim raising the child as her own as a single mother, until the actual child's mother shows back up. The show ultimately ended after 110 episodes with a three-part finale in which Professor Oglevee realizes that he does indeed have feelings for Nikki, and they get married to begin their lives happily ever after.

I was hoping this show could last longer and was trying to help @*Wallace continue saving it, but my options were limited and wanted to give this show a decent write-up as somebody that was a fan. Also let's not act like this show didn't have one of the best theme songs ever, don't @ me:

SAVE: South of Nowhere

Updated.

My Wife & Kids. 😢 I really loved that show but I'm glad that it made it this far into the Top 200. Thanks for giving it a nice and respectable write up, Kaley. :hug:

And ooh ugh, the Season 5 cliffhanger finale definitely reminds me of how it annoyed me with it ending like that. Seems to happen with a number that f shows I love, in fact. :/

Thanks for giving a really great write-up of The Parkers there, Elliott. You summed up the show wonderfully. 😢 Thanks for protecting it for me to get it to this point too. I do wish it could have made it further but yeah I understand options were very limited, I was super sad I couldn't save it although I had about 3 shows I would have saved over it sooo such an ugh feeling letting it go. :( And as I mentioned, BET has been realizing episodes of the show, so I've been watching it a lot more recently, which has had me on a The Parkers high recently. :haha:

AND YESSS @ your comments on the theme song! :wub: It's definitely one of the best and catchiest theme songs....and I maybe sing along to it a lot. :giggle:

10 hours ago, miss denise said:

:hug: I know and am sorry. Don't feel stupid, you had a plan and were doing your best. bye2.gif.7960d44992e1eeff806cdce1d9856c29.gif I'm sorry it didn't work out. :hug: Of course. ❤️ 

Thanks. :hug: Gah yeah, I was. :( Thanks for the kind words here of course. :hug: 

If Rei and Sola doesn’t have a preference of the remaining shows to save/cut, would it be okay if I get to make one of the calls within the next 2 hours, as I like or love all of the remaining shows? If not, then that's fine.... but wanted to put that out there to at least save something I like. :haha: 

3 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

If Rei and Sola doesn’t have a preference of the remaining shows to save/cut, would it be okay if I get to make one of the calls within the next 2 hours, as I like or love all of the remaining shows? If not, then that's fine.... but wanted to put that out there to at least save something I like. :haha: 

Idk if you’re allowed to do two writeups, but I’ll do whatever you want if you want the two of us to make the final decisions.

16 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Oh, I was just going to post this regarding us both, but you left me out? 😥

12 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Idk if you’re allowed to do two writeups, but I’ll do whatever you want if you want the two of us to make the final decisions.

Wally and I discussed and were going to ask to make the last two calls (if Rei and Sola have no preference) since at least one of us loves all four left. We’d like to make the choices, if nobody objects, and do the write-ups for the favorites we have to lose. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, miss denise said:

Wally and I discussed and were going to ask to make the last two calls (if Rei and Sola have no preference) since at least one of us loves all four left. We’d like to make the choices, if nobody objects, and do the write-ups for the favorites we have to lose. 

Fine with me!

2 hours ago, Alex95 said:

1 hour ago, miss denise said:

Oh, I was just going to post this regarding us both, but you left me out? 😥

1 hour ago, miss denise said:

Gah yeah, I wasn'tn Sure how to word it, but I was only planning on deciding between the  who shows I love, and let Denise decide between the two she loves most. But yeah I wasn't I tending to do two write-up/choices there.

thanks everyone.

Summerland

kdg4jI5.png?1

I'm back finishing another write-up for one of my own shows that I had to cut. bye2.gif.7960d44992e1eeff806cdce1d9856c29.gif Summerland is a drama that premiered on The WB in 2004. I have been protecting this show for the duration of the entire rankdown since it is quite nostalgic and dear to my heart. The reason is pretty obvious to anyone that knows me and I'll get to that, but that is mostly the reason I felt it was right for me to do the write-up of this show.  For such a short-lived series, I am glad I got to get it to this point in the game. 

WOW, those opening credits bring back so many memories and feels. :wub: "It's a beautiful day, yeah, yeah" :bobo: 

Summerland is centered around three orphaned kids and their aunt who raises them in California. The kids - Bradin (Jesse McCartney), Nikki (Kay Panabaker), and Derrick (Nick Benson) - lose their parents in a tragic car accident in the pilot episode, which was so so sad. :(  I always remember the scene where Bradin calls his aunt sobbing to tell her the news. Ugh. Nobody should ever have to go through that. The kids then move from their home in Kansas, to California in the custody of their aunt Ava. The storylines focus on them adjusting to their new lives, which as you can imagine, is quite difficult. Prior to her nephews and niece moving in with her, Ava lives with her three adult roommates, Johnny, Susannah, and Jay, while she works as a fashion designer.  Her life obviously changes a lot as she takes in the kids, but her roommates help her raise them.

I'm not going to go into great detail about the characters and storylines like I did in some of my other big write-ups. I haven't watched this show in so long, but the whole reason I got into it in the first place was because, as many people know, my life centered around Jesse McCartney. :wub: :giggle: I was absolutely in love and OBSESSED with him, so of course I would watch the show that he starred in. I was LIVING my best life as young Denise. :wub: 

DLnTrUv.png

I have loved Jesse forever,  still do, and always will (and you can currently see him competing as a turtle on The Masked Singer, I'm just saying)  It only took 14 years of being a fangirl for me to finally meet him, but I did in 2018, so woohoo me. :wub: Anyway, so, of course, this show had the love of my young life, and also... it is set on a beach. Like... that is my world. :dead:  Ugh, I could fantasize so much about living in a beach house and being at the ocean every day. :wub: I always live somewhat vicariously through characters in shows and movies who have that luxury.  Anyway, Jesse's character, Bradin, is also a surfer, and so.... Surfer Jesse. Yeah. I was sold on this show right away. ❤️  

7Me78GI.gif IPIj8Ls.gif

Bradin is the oldest of the three kids and the most troubled.  I remember his first girlfriend on the show, Sarah (Sara Paxton). Of course I was not here for her at all. :haha: She was also a bad influence on him though, so I was even less on board with that girl. (!) But I've seen Sara in some other stuff too, so that's cool, but I didn't particularly enjoy her character all that much from what I remember. 

kKcKgs5.gif

And then there was also a girl named Callie, who I think I liked... and Erika, the older girl who helped coach Bradin with his surfing. He got into a lot of trouble with those girls, but he also started to build up his surfing experience and channel it into a potential career, although there were some speed bumps along the way, including drug use to better his performance, and pressure to drink from fellow surfers. :(  Ugh, there was one time he overdosed from performance-enhancing drugs and fell down the stairs, which was SO scary. :( 

Poor Bradin. 😢 😢 😢  Poor baby. He needed to learn better. He definitely struggled a lot with the loss of his parents (obviously understandable) and made some not so great decisions, many of which he was pressured into. :(  I felt for him. 

Now, let us not forget that we also got a young Zac Efron on Summerland.

4t9FFK1.gif

This was my introduction to Zac, even before High School Musical. 😮  I had no idea what a star he would go on to become and how much I love him now too. :giggle:❤️   I was so spoiled on this show and I didn't even know it.  :dead: But Zac played Cameron, Nikki's friend and boyfriend.  He also lived a troubled life,  as his parents were divorced and his dad was an alcoholic. :( 

z35zsAv.gif

I also knew Kay (Nikki) from a few different things on Disney Channel, so quite a few of the young stars I knew or saw again later in other things, which is fun. 😄   I'll mention that Nikki was the middle child, who was very smart and kind of motherly. I liked her and Cameron together and thought they were cute. 

The youngest child, Derrick, I don't remember all that much about.  I was mostly invested in Bradin and Nikki's storylines (especially Bradin's, of course), and not the adult's either, so I'm not going to talk much about them. :haha:   As I mentioned as the start, the show focused on them and their lives following the tragic loss of both of their parents, and them having to adjust to a whole new life living in California with their aunt.  Definitely not an easy situation for any of them, at any of their ages. It is interesting that three different age groups were explored among the kids though. The show followed the various ways they adapted, as well as how Ava adapted to going from a single woman to having custody of three kids. 

tumblr_matxjxHMxo1qggua8o1_400.png

Sadly, Summerland was cancelled after two seasons, in a mass cancellation of shows from the WB at the time. :(  Such a short-lived show, but I enjoyed it while it was on, and of course, was obsessed with anything and everything Jesse. It was fun while it lasted to see him in this role. ❤️   He's gone on to do several other acting roles since then, including some guest spots on shows that were in this rankdown, and a role on the final season of Army Wives, which I guess escaped my huge list of entries somehow. :broken: He played a soldier suffering from PTSD and I loved him on there. And then there obviously is his music career of which I could write a novel. :wub:  And we know about Zac!  He's starred in many things I enjoy, but especially the High School Musical series and The Greatest Showman. ❤️   

~~~

With Summerland being a short-lived show awhile back, and not a cult favorite or anything, it can be difficult to find as much as I wish I could online. 😢  At least I was able to provide some gifs. :wub: There are random clips on YouTube and ooh I actually found full episodes  too, yay! Definitely will need to watch some of these back. :wub: 

I wish I had the time to watch back some of these before this write-up, so I could go into more detail, but I have to finish this up now.  I tried my best to give more of a broad overview, with some more specific details on the people I love from the show.  My love for this show stems purely from my love of Jesse and my nostalgia from watching it back then, which is bit different compared to my love of some of the other shows in this rankdown. I would and will always be there for Jesse and that is why I care about it so much. I'm glad I could carry his show this far.  ❤️  

Saving: Alexa & Katie 

tumblr_p6l4wfr2Qn1uji35eo3_400.giftumblr_p6jcv8lBlp1uji35eo1_400.gifv
tumblr_p6d0tdOgGC1uji35eo4_400.giftumblr_p6l4wfr2Qn1uji35eo1_400.gifv

31 minutes ago, vee_ said:

Denise is next to nominate

Not yet. I got to finish my write-up. :haha:   

3 minutes ago, Elliott said:

:ermm:

UGH you have no idea how painful it was or me to make that cut. 😢  I do feel like SNL stands a better chance of going further.