American Idol Unpopular Opinions Thread

countrynineteen

5 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

There are those here who will never vote for a guy period, regardless of their performance.  Which is ironic, since they are doing the same thing they are accusing the "minivan" crowd of.

I don't think both things are equivalent but to discuss this, we would have to enter into "political" territory and i don't have energy to do that + the mods are gonna delete it anyway. 

Let's just say that American Idol and The Voice having very few female and POC winners is just a little part of a bigger problem. 

• Like 3

With that said, i have learned to don't take opinions on here that seriously. Yeah, it hurts when someone else talks bad about your favorite but it's not the end of the world. I'm part of the fandom Swiftie because yeah, i really enjoy most of her work, but i'm aware there is a lot of people that can't stand her existence and honestly, it's ok. I'm not gonna waste energy on defending a millionaire like a lot of people on the fandom do. After all, she can wipe her tears with all her money, i'm sure it's not a big deal for her. 

maybe it’s because we’re watching other idol communities border on worshiping him from afar, but i think the kayko criticism here is WAY overblown. he’s far from the best vocalist left in the competition imo but he’s got a lot of merit as a performer that i feel like gets overlooked. admittedly i did kind of love his top 12 performance …  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

Let's just say that American Idol and The Voice having very few female and POC winners is just a little part of a bigger problem. 

But that's not right to put that on the contestants.  My point is that I am not going to stan on a female and a drag a male because of gender, regardless of performance.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

But that's not right to put that on the contestants.  My point is that I am not going to stan on a female and a drag a male because of gender, regardless of performance.

Fair enough.

1 hour ago, peachfuz said:

maybe it’s because we’re watching other idol communities border on worshiping him from afar, but i think the kayko criticism here is WAY overblown.

i do agree to some extent. if reddit wasn't overhyping him so much i would probably dislike him less, but i still would not be a fan regardless tbh. 

23 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

i know that i personally don't drag male contestants solely because they are male, but i can't speak for others. i just naturally have a bias towards female voices. on Spotify, my top 20 artists of all time are all women with the exception of 2 men (Bruno Mars and Stevie Wonder lol). i try to be as fair as possible (especially when making my ratings), but we all have our biases at the end of the day. 

I honestly don’t pay attention to Reddit or instagram or other communities, I just didn’t like Kayko lol (the first half of his Radiohead performance was nice though and I agree he’s cute :stealth:)

• Like 1

Also I do think some people do too much with it but if you really have that much of a problem with people here preferring female artists, then maybe this isn’t the site for you lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As someone someone who grew up on rock music and almost exclusively listened to guys it is funny how my musical tastes have shifted over the years. While I still listen to a lot of 90s & 2000s rock my preferred genre these days is country. A genre that isn't exactly well liked here either. When I got into country I tried to give everybody a shot but almost everyone that I liked the most was a female. It was during the bro country era where the guys were just making bad music and if you wanted to listen to an actual good song you had to turn a female on. When you combined that with the fact that how horribly women are treated in the country music industry compared to their male counterparts it just became super easy to support them over the guys.

Now how does that translate to the singing shows? It's a pretty similar trend the audience generally speaking treats the men better than the women which is unfortunate. You have to either be exceptionally talented or the right type of person to get same the level of respect as man does. Where as if you are a guy it's a lot easier to coast on these shows. I have voted for a few guys on The Voice and American Idol before but the type of guys they cast on here aren't generally the type of guys that I would listen to off the show. If the shows had more good rockers that would be cool and I might be willing to vote for more guys but usually the male pool is filled with mid pop or country males and while I do like a few male country singers now the ones l listen to on Spotify were ever on singing shows. 

So in conclusion while I would never support some one just because of their gender because that would be silly as there are a lot of females that don't interest me and there are a couple of guys that do the ratio is probably always going to dramatically shift in favor of the women over the men for me. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, m1key said:

i know that i personally don't drag male contestants solely because they are male.

For me, I don't make a point of singleling someone out each season and then relentlessly going after them - to the point of suggesting violence as with Colin Stough last year.  That gets into Bullying.  

Edited by mytake1

16 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

For me, I don't make a point of singleling someone out each season and then relentlessly going after them - to the point of suggesting violence as with Colin Stough last year.  That gets into Bullying.  

when did i (or anyone on this forum) suggest violence against Colin??????? did i make a joke and it came across the wrong way? because...

1) it is never that deep

2) i would probably be banned if that was the case lol

7 minutes ago, m1key said:

when did i (or anyone on this forum) suggest violence against Colin??????? did i make a joke and it came across the wrong way? because...

1) it is never that deep

2) i would probably be banned if that was the case lol

You made comments about the audience attacking, beating up Colin.

NONE of this is that deep.  It's a TV show.  A girl winner will not change the world.  Kayko winning will not be this great Travesty as you claimed.  But his fans as well as Jack's and others should be able to post without feeling ostracized.

30 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

You made comments about the audience attacking, beating up Colin.

NONE of this is that deep.  It's a TV show.  A girl winner will not change the world.  Kayko winning will not be this great Travesty as you claimed.  But his fans as well as Jack's and others should be able to post without feeling ostracized.

i cannot find any comments about that, but regardless, i can assure you it was likely said with a joking tone since i would never wish harassment on a contestant.

but anyways, i agree! at the end of the day i have a busy life outside of Idol, even if it may not seem like it based on my activity here 💀 once each season ends i pretty much move on immediately lol. even if a woman won, i'd be happy for a few hours and then my life would continue as normal. 

all of my comments made on here are in good fun and aren't meant to offend anybody. i also sort of lean into a persona that trolls a bit with my excessive support of female contestants/dislike of certain male contestants (hence my new pfp with KB's case that says "i ❤️ making boys cry"), so i'll tone that down moving forward if it makes people annoyed/uncomfy. 

Edited by m1key

Yeah at the end of the day it's just a show and a show that I ultimately don't even care who wins since it doesn't even matter. It's not like the winner gets a million dollars like they do on Survivor. So a guy or a girl winner is largely irrelevant. What's also largely irrelevant is who other people like. Like a lot of people I will throw the occasional shady comment about someone or the occasional confused face for the lolz but it isn't that deep and not at all serious. 

But IDF is almost always going to support a woman the most and their least favorite is probably going to be a guy. If that's not your scene then that's totally fine you are certainly entitled to your opinion. But there are also plenty of places that have opposite opinions of IDF and if that will improve your enjoyment of the show then you can always just go post over there instead.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, m1key said:

i do agree to some extent. if reddit wasn't overhyping him so much i would probably dislike him less, but i still would not be a fan regardless tbh. 

Kayko's on Reddit.  Obviously, you have ax to grind with him, why not bring it to him directly, instead of constantly taking that information and running back here gossiping and complaining and nick picking  about it.  How many anti-Kayko posts have there been here.  IMO, that's a d*ck move.

23 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

Kayko's on Reddit.  Obviously, you have ax to grind with him, why not bring it to him directly, instead of constantly taking that information and running back here gossiping and complaining and nick picking  about it.  How many anti-Kayko posts have there been here.  IMO, that's a d*ck move.

it's been hinted at throughout this thread, but the reason why IDF has a female bias is because all other social media platforms are kinda misogynistic towards female contestants imo (which is reflected through the results of the show). this is not something i have just noticed for Idol and The Voice - it applies to Dancing with the Stars, Survivor, etc. as well. feel free to disagree with me but this is a stance i am passionate about and am not going to change.

this is a safe space for those who want to support women! i am obviously going to post here rather than risk being endlessly downvoted/disliked on Reddit or Facebook. it's also not something new - i've seen many people reference IDF "it girls" tracing back to years before i even knew what IDF was. so im not sure why you always tend to target me for this belief when it is something that applies to the board in general.

case closed! i'm going to just flag you as an ignored user if you continue to go back and forth with me tbh.

• Like 1

This might be a safe space for those who tend to fangirl for females but why not let it just be a safe space for everyone and not ostracise say Kayko’s fans for example?

Just my take on what’s going on. 

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952p6f3aeq6xop0r5wylw3

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Zoey said:

This might be a safe space for those who tend to fangirl for females but why not let it just be a safe space for everyone and not ostracise say Kayko’s fans for example?

Just my take on what’s going on. 

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952p6f3aeq6xop0r5wylw3

Because they prefer an echo chamber. 

Which I can handle, honestly. I’m just trying to provide some balance. Like I said, I’m usually one of those shading the male country singer. LOL! This place really needs more of that balance, but some don’t seem to welcome it. I also get a lot of confused reactions for my opinions. I could be giving them out all day, but it’s not worth the effort. 

• Like 3

One other thing…this section of IDF seems to have more long time posters who place a lot of importance on who wins the show. A few are really obsessed with this. On The Voice section, most don’t care as much who wins. It’s fun to back a winner, but we all know it doesn’t mean squat for post show success. I wish people would be as passionate about their favorites after they leave the show as they are when they’re on their TV screens every week. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

One other thing…this section of IDF seems to have more long time posters who place a lot of importance on who wins the show. A few are really obsessed with this. On The Voice section, most don’t care as much who wins. It’s fun to back a winner, but we all know it doesn’t mean squat for post show success. I wish people would be as passionate about their favorites after they leave the show as they are when they’re on their TV screens every week. 

I get it. But In fairness, it's hard to replicate that same passion after the show when lots of contestants don't post often. (Covers, new music, etc). Most of my favourites from previous seasons post something every few months, some im lucky to get anything at all in a year, and even fewer that post anything music related with any regularity. Off the top of my head, only Grace West and Allegra Miles fall into that category for contestants I've checked in with recently.

Even when they do, it's seldom at the rate where it's comparable to when they were on the show, performing weekly. 

Edited by Hsamid

23 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

I get it. But In fairness, it's hard to replicate that same passion after the show when lots of contestants don't post often. (Covers, new music, etc). Most of my favourites from previous seasons post something every few months, some im lucky to get anything at all in a year, and even fewer that post anything music related with any regularity. Off the top of my head, only Grace West and Allegra Miles fall into that category for contestants I've checked in with recently.

Even when they do, it's seldom at the rate where it's comparable to when they were on the show, performing weekly. 

It's really not that hard to support them. Yeah some never post or they quit music after being on the show and that is sad and it probably has happened to favorites from everyone. But if you watch these shows for a long time there is bound to be plenty of former contestants to follow that frequently post new stuff whether it's covers or they release new music on Spotify etc. It seems like almost every week at least 1 one my favorite contestants release a new song to listen to. I've met so many of my favorites and been to so many concerts to support them. Hell I was at a show literally last night. Watching them on The Voice and Idol is also a lot of fun that's why I like the shows but it's a lot more fun for me at least to keep up with them post show and seeing all the improvements and hearing all the great new music that they release.