The Voice's Unpopular Opinions Thread V2

istersay

I wasn’t a fan of Kelsie on the show, but I just rewatched her KO, and it actually wasn’t that bad. However, it’s not the best song choice for a competition, and she should try to avoid the high, screechy notes that made my dog leave the room. She has vocal talent, but I recall scouting her covers before the season, not liking the tone of her extreme upper register. 

Edited by TeamAudra

34 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I wasn’t a fan of Kelsie on the show, but I just rewatched her KO, and it actually wasn’t that bad. However, it’s not the best song choice for a competition, and she should try to avoid the high, screechy notes that made my dog leave the room. She has vocal talent, but I recall scouting her covers before the season, not liking the tone of her extreme upper register. 

Some people have a huge range, and that's great, but it doesn't mean they CAN hit the note, doesn't mean they should. Her upper chest voice on I Dare You is by far my least favorite moment of her audition. However, the rest of the song, including the amazing whistle, was spectacular.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AliXRose said:

I’m about to win this thread : Kelsie Watts’ KO was not bad AT ALL.

I actually agree lol. I don't have a great ear for pitchiness, but I always thought it was good, but not as great as her blind because that was a better song choice.

• Like 1

Kelsie and Ciana’s KOs honestly kinda give me the same vibes: difficult songs to tackle, and a little messy, but certainly not the worst vocals anyone’s ever had on the show (by a long shot) and the artist in question did the best they could with the song they “chose” to sing.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

Kelsie and Ciana’s KOs honestly kinda give me the same vibes: difficult songs to tackle, and a little messy, but certainly not the worst vocals anyone’s ever had on the show (by a long shot) and the artist in question did the best they could with the song they “chose” to sing.

I was actually also considering commenting on how I thought that Ciana's KO was pretty great, especially for it being such a difficult song. 

I think this has been mentioned before by @AliXRose but I didn't hear anything off with Marisa's performance (although I noticed that the video was edited slightly during her long note, almost as if they were trying to artificially lengthen it?)

5 hours ago, thevoicefan said:

My unpopular opinion: Madeline's KO is the best KO of season 19

While i wouldn't personally call it "the best of that season" it was indeed, really good, so i can perfectly understand why it was the best for you

• Like 1

Yeah rewatching Ciana's KO, it's much better than I remember. I perhaps didn't give it a fair chance because of Tamara Jade the previous season. Watching both back to back, Ciana stacks up well, but I still prefer Tamara.

Edited by Hsamid
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, QueenCami said:

(although I noticed that the video was edited slightly during her long note, almost as if they were trying to artificially lengthen it?)

I don't think they edited the audio, she did hit that long note imo, they just edited the footage to focus on her hand for extra drama lmao (she didn't need extra drama 👀)

They actually do that a lot, espacially with coaches reactions/facial expressions 

8 minutes ago, TheVoiceFan2 said:

same! I've always thought that season 19 FED us in the knockouts. My personal top 5 (in no particular order tbh) would be Chloé, Payge, Desz, Madeline, and Sid

Actually I forgot one name there, and it leads me to an unpopular opinion.....but Lauren had one of the best knockouts in S19 as well

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AliXRose said:

I don't think they edited the audio, she did hit that long note imo, they just edited the footage to focus on her hand for extra drama lmao (she didn't need extra drama 👀)

They actually do that a lot, espacially with coaches reactions/facial expressions 

Yeah that makes sense.

1 hour ago, TheVoiceFan2 said:

same! I've always thought that season 19 FED us in the knockouts. My personal top 5 (in no particular order tbh) would be Chloé, Payge, Desz, Madeline, and Sid

Loving this top 5! Some of them wouldn't make my cut, but they're all undeniably great. My top 5 was DeSz, Cami, Julia, Payge, Chloé according to the ranking I made last season, but I think now I'd replace Cami with Madeline or Marisa. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheVoiceFan2 said:

Actually I forgot one name there, and it leads me to an unpopular opinion.....but Lauren had one of the best knockouts in S19 as well

Lauren was one of my favorite contestants, which leads me to my unpopular opinion: Lauren had one of the best blinds of Season 19. I think the reason that I didn't love her KO as much was that there wasn't as much power in it as I know she has. Probably something to do with the arrangement which her coach probably had her do, I absolutely love her tone though (and the versatility from blind to battle! 🤩)

1 hour ago, QueenCami said:

which leads me to my unpopular opinion: Lauren had one of the best blinds of Season 19.

YESSSS I love her blind too!! I remember it getting criticism here which I didn't really get and idc lol. She tackled Melissa Etheridge like a damn pro and I'm so in love with her tone. Her new song "June" is great too! 🤩

• Like 3

8 hours ago, VintageVoice said:

I liked Ciana's KO way more though. :stealth:

• Like 1

Natasha Greycloud’s KO is underrated (S15). It rly sucks bc she really deserved a steal and she got one but like against Zaxai + Kymberyli??? All 3 were so good, but I think Natasha should’ve won a battle/KO to boost her self esteem. Their 3 KO’s are in my top 10 of that season.

• Like 2

Also I miss Adam, Kelly, JHUD, Blake lineup S15 was actually amazing (other than Robegate) it was so hilarious watching Kelly and JHUD go at it and Adam + Blake’s rivalry.

I miss it so much and Zaxai + Erika’s audition comments were hilarious

Edited by VoiceFan!
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, VoiceFan! said:

Also I miss Adam, Kelly, JHUD, Blake lineup S15 was actually amazing (other than Robegate) it was so hilarious watching Kelly and JHUD go at it and Adam + Blake’s rivalry.

I miss it so much and Zaxai + Erika’s audition comments were hilarious

It was a chaotic lineup in the best way; even though Adam/Alicia/Kelly/Blake is my favorite lineup of coaches, I appreciated JHud’s chemistry with the rest of the group.

Now that we are in topic of Season 15, Sarah Grace deserved to got the public vote in the Playoffs, after her  excellent performance.

And i love Kelly, but that particular time, she should have at least acted more excited for her. I know it wasn't the results she probably was expecting but if you compare her reaction to Sarah being voted to her reaction to Chevel, it was clear who she preferred, nothing wrong with that, but she should have been more subtle about it. 

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 7

On 8/7/2021 at 9:00 AM, FloorWax said:

Some people have a huge range, and that's great, but it doesn't mean they CAN hit the note, doesn't mean they should. Her upper chest voice on I Dare You is by far my least favorite moment of her audition. However, the rest of the song, including the amazing whistle, was spectacular.

I do agree, but with a lot of these singers on the show. It's not that they can't or aren't hitting the note in a controlled manner, it's just that it doesn't sound pleasant, and ultimately whether the note sounds good is subjective to a certain degree. I think Kelsie falls more under the latter, but I actually like that high note.

Some people (not here) have said the same thing about Kyla Jade or calling her a screamer. Its fine to not like the sound of her high notes, but she absolutely has 100% control of her voice. In my unprofessional opinion..

1 hour ago, Jordan Smith Fan said:

Jim's blind, KO, and Finale cover performances were actually really good. ngl

1 hour ago, Hsamid said:

I'd even add his semi final honestly. Which I think is more unpopular.

I think both of these are popular on here.

3 hours ago, VoiceFan! said:

Natasha Greycloud’s KO is underrated (S15). It rly sucks bc she really deserved a steal and she got one but like against Zaxai + Kymberyli??? All 3 were so good, but I think Natasha should’ve won a battle/KO to boost her self esteem. Their 3 KO’s are in my top 10 of that season.

Yeah, this was an excellent performance. My issue is her PO song choice more than anything, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gustavo527 said:

Now that we are in topic of Season 15, Sarah Grace deserved to got the public vote in the Playoffs, after her  excellent performance.

And i love Kelly, but that particular time, she should have at least acted more excited for her. I know it wasn't the results she probably was expecting but if you compare her reaction to Sarah being voted to her reaction to Chevel, it was clear who she preferred, nothing wrong with that, but she should have been more subtle about it. 

Agreed. I honestly thought that was one of the best performances of the night, as well as her best performance in the competition, and it was unappreciated here as well. Let’s just say that some fans of a certain contestant that got eliminated became very bitter when she advanced over her, despite her flopping. Just like the Myracle/Kyndal drama here.

• Like 2