The Voice's Unpopular Opinions Thread V2

istersay

I still prefer Grace West's overall run to Jacquie and Ruby, and I didn't think I'd say this by the end of the season considering those 2 are better vocalists.

I mean, I do prefer Grace's tone, but it also helps that she pretty much had a handle on her pitch most of the time with the exception of a few moments during her upbeat finale performance.

Ruby and Jacquie didn't really live up to their prelives and had a few struggles in all but one of their live performances.

8 hours ago, Hsamid said:

I still prefer Grace West's overall run to Jacquie and Ruby, and I didn't think I'd say this by the end of the season considering those 2 are better vocalists.

I mean, I do prefer Grace's tone, but it also helps that she pretty much had a handle on her pitch most of the time with the exception of a few moments during her upbeat finale performance.

Ruby and Jacquie didn't really live up to their prelives and had a few struggles in all but one of their live performances.

Grace is a much better vocalist than Ruby. I’ve watched her nail songs you wouldn’t expect her to be able to handle on her live streams. Guns N’ Roses for example, with high notes she didn’t come close to attempting on the show. Lauren Duski is the same way. They just prefer the singer-songwriter lane. 

Singing on pitch is part of being a good vocalist. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hsamid said:

Both Grace and Holly were vastly superior singers to Ruby and Jacquie. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Grace is a much better vocalist than Ruby. I’ve watched her nail songs you wouldn’t expect her to be able to handle on her live streams. Guns N’ Roses for example, with high notes she didn’t come close to attempting on the show. Lauren Duski is the same way. They just prefer the singer-songwriter lane. 

I mean, if we're bringing off show work into this then there are quite a few impressive Ruby performances out there too. Pretty sure Hamza shared a clip of her performing  her audition song and it sounded nearly identical. Then another one of her sustaining a belt for 20 something seconds. I'd say a large portion of contestants don't show what they're truly capable of on the show for various reasons.

Also, would have loved to see that guns n roses performance by Grace haha.

8 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Singing on pitch is part of being a good vocalist. 

Agreed. When I said "better vocalist" I was really only taking into account what they're capable of vocally. I will almost always take the "simpler" singer with perfect pitch over the one attempting a bunch of dynamics but being hit or miss.

But it is easier to maintain your pitch if what your singing is less difficult. There's a difference between singing Rihanna and Aretha Franklin.

Jacquie's songs for instance, probably had the highest degree of difficulty among live contestants this year. She didn't always nail it, but I commend her for taking on the challenge

As for Ruby and Grace. Funny thing with Ruby is that it was her lower register giving her most of the trouble lives, not the belting or headvoice (not that she was perfect there either), so what's difficult for one contestant could be easy for another. Grace's mid to low register was pretty much her "comfort zone" as far as I can remember. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

I mean, if we're bringing off show work into this then there are quite a few impressive Ruby performances out there too. Pretty sure Hamza shared a clip of her performing  her audition song and it sounded nearly identical. Then another one of her sustaining a belt for 20 something seconds. I'd say a large portion of contestants don't show what they're truly capable of on the show for various reasons.

Also, would have loved to see that guns n roses performance by Grace haha.

Agreed. When I said "better vocalist" I was really only taking into account what they're capable of vocally. I will almost always take the "simpler" singer with perfect pitch over the one attempting a bunch of dynamics but being hit or miss.

But it is easier to maintain your pitch if what your singing is less difficult. There's a difference between singing Rihanna and Aretha Franklin.

Jacquie's songs for instance, probably had the highest degree of difficulty among live contestants this year. She didn't always nail it, but I commend her for taking on the challenge

As for Ruby and Grace. Funny thing with Ruby is that it was her lower register giving her most of the trouble lives, not the belting or headvoice (not that she was perfect there either), so what's difficult for one contestant could be easy for another. Grace's mid to low register was pretty much her "comfort zone" as far as I can remember. 

I’ve heard her song a couple GNR songs. One was “Patience,” and she was hitting both the low and the high notes. What’s crazy is that she was taking requests, and she hadn’t sung it in a long time. She had to take a minute to figure out the guitar chords. That’s how she does her lives. She’ll sing songs she’s never sung before, look upon the lyrics on her phone and play it on the guitar. I agree that what they do on the show doesn’t tell the whole story.  

But I stand by what I said above 100%. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Anybody354 said:

I wasn’t a big fan of Laura Williams’s audition initially, but upon relistening, I think she did a great job. Not perfect, but lots of potential for sure.

Yeah, considering that was her first time singing on stage, she did really well on some parts. We've been faulting on her back then, to the point that she had to call out IDF for being negative.

• 1 month later...

Tae Lewis intrigues me the most out of everyone in the premiere episode. I think he has the highest vocal ceiling, just a matter of if he can deliver. I really like his tone too, it's something you don't usually hear in country and I'm interested to see how it will work on other songs.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hsamid said:

Tae Lewis intrigues me the most out of everyone in the premiere episode. I think he has the highest vocal ceiling, just a matter of if he can deliver. I really like his tone too, it's something you don't usually hear in country and I'm interested to see how it will work on other songs.

I liked him. I just think the band was a bit loud.

My personal favs were Dani and Nadeje.

Edited by Hamza Tufail

12 hours ago, Anybody354 said:

I really liked Nadège’s blind, and I think she’s getting slept on. I’m excited to see her journey on the show.

She kinda reminds me of Ray Uriel tonally and how they approach singing. Both very smooth, laid back voices.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VoiceFan! said:

Frank had my favorite S25 audition thus far and deserved 4 chairs

The more I listen the more I'm leaning towards him being my favourite. Such an interesting voice, and for such a dark tone he showed a surprising amount of range. Very emotive too.

Bryan is overrated af. Sure he's a technically good singer, but he is gonna crash and burn when it comes to song choices and keeping up his momentum for the entirety of the show.

• Like 1