Updated At Last: Someone648's Inexplicable Ranking of his Top 200 Blinds Auditions - #10-6 POSTED!

Someone648

Please note: Not all videos are available on YouTube. If I can't find it there, I'll link it as the artist's name and song title.

Awarding one point to the first comment I see guess something correctly.

Part 1: 200-191

200. Kendra Checketts (Season 16 - Sober by Demi Lovato)

Watch The Voice Highlight: Kendra Checketts: "Sober" - NBC.com

To kick off this list, we have a confident take on a massive song by Ms. Checketts here. While I felt the criticisms from Kelly were valid, I think it was a great performance worthy of more than just Blake's chair. Reflecting on her whole run, I think she deserved better. The recovery she had in her live playoffs performance after a dreadful start is one of the best turnarounds I've seen on this show. She left a great impression!

200: A bold song choice, an unexpected chair turn, and an even more unexpected memory for another coach.

Bold song? Check. Blake turning for the powerful Demi ballad? Check. John recalling that the first girl he kissed was also named Kendra? Check(etts). 

199. Sawyer Fredericks (Season 8 - I'm A Man of Constant Sorrow)

Don't let this lower ranking fool y'all... I genuinely enjoyed this audition a lot.  Up until that point, we genuinely hadn't had anyone like him on the show and for being only 15, it made it even more insanely impressive. It was gonna be him from the very beginning. No one else had a shot. And for that, it's made its way into my top 200.

199: Not the fastest one of the season, but it did take only seven words for the first 3 to turn.

Self-explanatory I think. As y'all said, those seven words were some of the most iconic  words ever uttered on that stage.

198. Zoe Upkins (Season 17 - Angel of Mine by Monica)

A theme you'll see on this list is song choices heavily influencing my decisions. Adore this song, that's for sure. I'll admit that Zoe isn't the strongest teen vocalist from the season (or even her blind episode), but the sincerity in which she delivered this track and the solid vocals still make it memorable to me.

198 - The only coach not to turn for her really regretted it... but the coach ended up getting what they wanted that same episode.

Gwen did not turn for her despite wanting a young, teenage girl. She ended up closing the episode (and blinds that season) with Caroline Reilly later on.

197. Clara Hong (Season 7 - Chuck E.'s in Love by Rickie Lee Jones)

A pleasant, smooth, and breathy take on a song I'd never heard of prior to the show. She left an amazing impression at first and had great interactions with the coaches. She definitely deserved to go much further than she did.

197 - Silk, Poetry, and "I'm Just A Girl!"

Reference to the "You're Silk 😇" interact she had with Pharrell, the poem Adam wrote for her, and the weird stage thing Gwen did with her.

196. Brett Hunter (Season 14 - She's  A Bad Mama Jama by Carl Carlton)

I LIVE for chaos. Not a song I would've expected on this show, not the way I would've expected to hear it, and certainly not who I would've expected to sing it. Vocally, it obviously wasn't a major standout in the season of Kyla Jade and Brynn Cartelli, but it made a very fun memory that I think of every time the original song comes up on shuffle.

196 - Not a song that needed this instrument, but the cover was just as fine as it could be.

Funk on a ukelele? I'm in. Also a play on the "She's a bad mama jama... just as fine as [she] could be" lyric.

195. Hailey Green (Season 21 - Home by Marc Broussard)

That voice and grit does NOT belong to a 15-year old. I was almost livid that she ended up being a last second one-chair because she nailed this in so many ways. Also disappointed that she ended up not making lives. I feel Libianca won that KO, but just due to the placement in the taping and no steal being left available... yeah. That's a rough ending for her on the show. She deserved better.

195 - A few more seconds would've added this girl to a very exclusive (and unfortunate) list

Blake was a last second turn. If he hadn't turned, she would've joined the list of comeback auditions who failed to get a chair turn the second time (I think it only consists of Odiseas, Luna Searles, and Emily Bass?)

194. Jessie Pitts (Season 7 - The Story by Brandi Carlile)

I feel like this one might be a bit of a hot take because the song is so beloved and if I remember correctly, her run had kind of a mixed reception on here. I'll say that there's a very sweet innocence behind her version that I hadn't heard before and she delivered it really well. I look back upon this blind fondly.

194 - I believe this is the only "soft" take on one of the most frequently covered songs we've had on this show. 

"The Story" has been covered so many times on this show (and I love nearly all the versions), but this one stood at to me as the only "soft"/non-power version.

193. Midas Whale (Season 4 - Folsom Prison Blues by Johnny Cash)

I feel like this deserves a better explanation, but truthfully this performance was just a vibe. Honestly I hadn't heard this one in a couple years when I started making this list and I remembered it really fondly. I see now how choppy it is in some parts, but I still feel the same enjoyment watching it now than I did back when it first aired. 

193 - 8th just didn't cut it - Midas Whale

Jon Peter Lewis of the duo came in 8th place on season 3 of American Idol years before.

192. Ryan Quinn (Season 10 - Can't Find My Way Home by Blind Faith)

Season 10 auditions were FANTASTIC. The way Ryan tackled this track was great. The higher notes were interesting to hear and it felt like he could cover anything, and I do think he improved each round. One of the more memorable contestants of the season in my book for sure.

192 - A shocker in the public vote sent this singer packing, and they weren't the only one that the coach was upset about not getting a PV.

Ryan was the unfortunate victim of the undeserving and overall shocking Nick Hagelin public vote for Playoffs. I'm pretty confident Christina was planning on using the save for whichever one of him or Bryan didn't place behind Alisan. Bonus point to whoever can find that give of her reaction when Nick was saved (not really, but let's reflect).

191. Anatalia Villaranda (Season 12 - Runaway Baby by Bruno Mars)

I remember this being an unexpected leak back in season 12 and honestly it's aged really well. A beast of a cover for such a demanding song, especially coming from a teenager. I don't feel like she was well-received during her run (or maybe it was just a competitive season?), but she definitely earned her spot on the show - and those four chairs!

191 - Thankfully their mom wasn't around to make their run any more difficult.

Remember how her mom was back when she was on American Idol? Yeah...

Will tally up the points in a separate post and will post the hints for 190-181 either later tonight or tomorrow morning. 🙂

• Like 5

• Someone648 changed the title to Someone648's Inexplicable Ranking of his Top 200 Blinds Auditions (Results #200-191 have been POSTED!)
2 hours ago, Someone648 said:

200. Kendra Checketts (Season 16 - Sober by Demi Lovato)

Watch The Voice Highlight: Kendra Checketts: "Sober" - NBC.com

To kick off this list, we have a confident take on a massive song by Ms. Checketts here. While I felt the criticisms from Kelly were valid, I think it was a great performance worthy of more than just Blake's chair. Reflecting on her whole run, I think she deserved better. The recovery she had in her live playoffs performance after a dreadful start is one of the best turnarounds I've seen on this show. She left a great impression!

200: A bold song choice, an unexpected chair turn, and an even more unexpected memory for another coach.

Bold song? Check. Blake turning for the powerful Demi ballad? Check. John recalling that the first girl he kissed was also named Kendra? Check(etts). 

oh my god I was considering her for this one but I didn’t know what the unexpected memory was 💀

First off, good luck and God bless on sharing the results of this MAMMOTH undertaking, watching and evaluating more than a thousand auditions sounds like a nightmare. Really interested to see this journey and take a walk down seasons past.

I will try to briefly comment on each ranking, with my own rating based on the audition's initial impact and song choice.

200. Kendra Checketts - nice rendition of a difficult song. Nerves were definitely there, but that deserved at least another chair turn. 7/10

199. Sawyer Fredericks - this seems.... low, in the grand scheme of things? I feel like this audition is a perfect representation of the types of artists and moments the Voice likes to capture during the Blind Audition. When someone asks me what makes The Voice different than the other singing shows out there, I can point to this audition and tell them the exhilaration of discovering immense talent come out of unassuming packages is what makes this show special. And I'm not even a freaking Sawyer stan! 10/10

198. Zoe Upkins - sometimes all you need is a great, nostalgic song choice to get someone to turn their chair. This is absolutely one of those moments. Pleasant in the moment, but ultimately forgettable. 6/10

197. Clara Hong - there was a time in The Voice's earlier seasons where they would cast shy Asian girls with surprisingly haunting indie voices, which I think is an archetype that perfectly suits the conceit of the show. But they always end up as fodder, so I guess Casting doesn't feel the need to search for them anymore? Can we bring it back, TBH? Anyway, cool audition, totally in @Someone648's wheelhouse. 7.5/10

196. Brett Hunter - you can tell @Someone648 took this project seriously when he unearths chestnuts like this. I absolutely do not remember anything about this audition, which says everything. It's not a bad performance, it's really fun in the moment actually, but it just doesn't stick to me for some reason. 6/10

195. Hailey Green - ooh that last second chair turn was timed perfectly! It's nice when the show gets to actually create exciting moments out of chair turns, which is the whole point and what makes this show stand out from the rest. I feel like we don't get a lot of that in the recent seasons. Hailey deserved that and she bodied that song. 9/10

194. Jessie Pitts - yeah I can see why it's on this list. Cool, ethereal take on an oft-covered song. Not my cup of tea, but she'll be in a lot of people's wheelhouses. 8/10

193. Midas Whale - I'm here for artists like Midas Whale on these shows. Normalize the accordion as an accompanying instrument! I will say I don't love their voices on that song, but that was a fun time nonetheless. 7.5/10

192. Ryan Quinn - this is absolutely @Someone648 baiting me to comment on this, and it worked dammit. Ryan Quinn is my conception of a perfect Blind Audition. Unassuming guy steps on stage and delivers a vocal that does not match with his speaking voice or demeanor and shocks the coaches and America in the process. This is the vibe I look for in every audition that I watch. He absolutely nailed that song and I cannot listen to any other version than his now. Also, he's a really nice guy and he's one of the Voice snowflakes that I still keep in touch with to this day. Love him and he absolutely was robbed, Nick Hagelin can fall face down in a ditch, 10/10.

191. Anatalia Villaranda - run-of-the-mill powerhouse Filipina. We get singers like this auditioning on noontime variety shows in my country on a weekly basis. She's technically terrific, mind you, but it's hard for me to get excited for acts like this. 7.5/10

Additional note: @Someone648 should really get a doctorate in Voice History for remembering enough details about packages and backstage shenanigans to cobble together these hard AF clues. 

Edited by Teraginn
  • Like 2

I haven't heard of half of these auditions. But I really enjoyed Anatalia, midas whale and Brett. All 3 were fun auditions with very capable vocals to match, so thanks for that.

Can't believe I have no memory of Brett too, I followed that season very closely.

Hear-ye-hear-ye GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Clues for Part 2: (190-181)

Blue: Season 2 - Season 6 (The early days)

Green: Season 7 - Season 12 (The middle seasons) 

Red: Season 13 - Season 17 (The seasons that kind of felt like a vibe shift)

Purple: Season 18 - Season 23 (The common/COVID/Post(?)-COVID era)

190: Celine? Gaga? Way to tackle icons.

189: The coaches that turned revealed some of their vices based on the lyrics when they each turned.

188: I rewatched this contestant's performances to be sure and she definitely WAS worthy (of going further!)

187: He wanted the chairs to turn, he got 'em, and got something else, too (forever!)

186: One coach's favorite performance "ever" on the show

185: One coach's "unfiltered" comment wouldn't fly in 2023

184: Kelsey!?

183: Not so fun fact: No one else has ever auditioned with this group again

182: Fun fact: No one else has ever auditioned with this group again

181: This contestant is a certified Genius.

Edited by Someone648

6 hours ago, FloorWax said:

Damn now that’s dedication. And ranking them too???? I could never :dead:

To be fair, about 60% were me going NOOOOOPE after 10 seconds :haha:

And some just couldn't get found unfortunately, besides their studio version.

• Haha 1

• Someone648 changed the title to (Hints for #190-181 and Part 1 Results POSTED) Someone648's Inexplicable Ranking of his Top 200 Blinds Auditions
16 minutes ago, Someone648 said:
17 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

This is definitely an artist from Season 13.

a. The unfiltered comment was made by Miley when she said, "Woah, you're hot. Sorry, I have no filter. I have no filter". 

b. "wouldn't fly in 2023" may be a reference to lyrics from "Angels Like You". 

This has to be Noah Mac

Just now, Dalton Eduardo said:

This is definitely an artist from Season 13.

a. The unfiltered comment was made by Miley when she said, "Woah, you're hot. Sorry, I have no filter. I have no filter". 

b. "wouldn't fly in 2023" may be a reference to lyrics from "Angels Like You". 

This has to be Noah Mac

It shouldn't have fly back on the day either 🙃. He was 17 back then, Miley, one thing is having no filters and other is being a creep. 

Sorry, i needed to let that out of my chest. Let's go back to the game 👍

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

I was thinking of two artists that are qualified for this clue for Seasons 13 to 17. 

a. This could be an artist from Season 14 named, Kelsea Johnson; or

b. Another artist from the same season named, Jackie Verna who sang a Kelsey Ballerini song (Peter Pan) for her audition.

P.S. I would have answered Kinsey Rose because she really looks like Kelsey but she was from Season 21, so she's definitely not the one referred to here. 

Edited by Dalton Eduardo

32 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

189: The coaches that turned revealed some of their vices based on the lyrics when they each turned.

188: I rewatched this contestant's performances to be sure and she definitely WAS worthy (of going further!)

187: He wanted the chairs to turn, he got 'em, and got something else, too (forever!)

183 - First thing that came to mind was Alaska & Madi covering The Civil Wars. We are in desperate need for more covers of their songs.

182 - This had to be a good cover of a song from a trash band so I'm thinking Vanessa Ferguson auditioning with The Chainsmokers.

43 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

Oh this one is Maye Thomas, I remember people making jokes that Miley turned right after the word "weed". Props because that is an underrated audition.

52 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

Confused Thinking GIF