Updated At Last: Someone648's Inexplicable Ranking of his Top 200 Blinds Auditions - #10-6 POSTED!

Someone648

23 hours ago, Someone648 said:

178. Because of this contestant, their coach can officially say they've been working on a particular instrument again after nearly 20 years.

Final wild guess is Jim and Sasha

On 7/10/2023 at 9:40 PM, Someone648 said:

He's back from vacation and broke(r) so let's gooooo!:

Clues for Part 3: (180-171)

Blue: Season 2 - Season 6 (The early days)

Green: Season 7 - Season 12 (The middle seasons) 

Red: Season 13 - Season 17 (The seasons that kind of felt like a vibe shift)

Purple: Season 18 - Season 23 (The common/COVID/Post(?)-COVID era)

180. Only 2 singers have sung in consecutive blind episodes... and I prefer her.

179. Liked this blind so much I'd love to see it on a shirt.

178. Because of this contestant, their coach can officially say they've been working on a particular instrument again after nearly 20 years.

177. One of you won't like how low this placement is, so I'm just telling y'all to be kind.

176. This chart topper gave us the first chair turns of the season and a showdown between an iconic pair of coaches.

175. This contestant went home when their coach completely flipped a decision they'd made two rounds before.  Strange that the same people were involved!

174. This contestant scared one of the coaches, so maybe it's good that they chose to join a team on the opposite side of the panel.

173. I don't understand why Kelly didn't turn when she was singing along then, and sang along again a few years later.

172. According to one coach, this contestant made a "sandwich"

171. *bum bum BUM*

F*** it, I'll try (and probably flop but whatever)

180. Lisa Ramey

179. ???

178. ???

177. Cami Clune?

176. Liam St. John?

175. James David Carter

174. Rachel Christine

173. Drew Cole?

172. Carter Rubin?

171. Caroline Pennell

Next batch of comments incoming!

I like this batch a lot more than the previous one.

190. Johnny Gates - solid rock audition. Not sure why this didn't stick out to me as much as others, maybe because Johnny's vocal quality is something that doesn't lend to multiple replays for me. I like it in smaller doses. Nevertheless, I miss it when adult male rockers audition for this show on the regular. 7.5/10

189. Maye Thomas - Gaga, is that you??? She's a dead ringer for Ms. Germanotta. Anyway, I thought this was a fun, breezy performance, I remember replaying the studio of this a lot more than the original. Again, straight upbeat pop females like her are a rarity on this show nowadays. More of them please! 8/10

188. Toia Jones - I love this song and I want to hear more people sing it on singing shows. Anyway, I liked this audition enough, it's a little overwrought for me, but that's just how Toia sings IIRC. It worked better for her last two performances, but here it felt a little too much. She can sang though. And she was truly robbed in that KO. 7.5/10

187. Rio Souma - I'm sorry but Zaxai took ownership of this song and I will not accept anything less than that. 6.5/10

186. Dawn & Hawkes - I appreciate the atypical Beatles choice. Easy-breezy, but not impactful tbh. 6.5/10

185. Noah Mac - awww Noah. I usually don't stan teenagers on this show, but he was one of the few exceptions. Auditions where the voice is nowhere near what I picture the singer to be are my favorite kind, and Noah is a perfect example of that. I had fun stanning him, but I'm not gonna lie when I say he has fallen in my estimations these past few years. Still, a cool first impression, although I'm surprised it was this low in your ranking. 7.5/10

184. Lucas Holliday - Can't believe it took 13 seasons to have this song be used in the TVUS Blinds. Again, this is pretty much my conception of a perfect blind audition, surprising voice from an unassuming singer. Not my favorite rendition of the song, but the shock factor is undeniable. 8/10

183. Jonny Gray - dang, where did all the alt rock dudes go since Season 10?? I'd rather have those again than another male country act. Really liked this one, I remember his story being really compelling and the song choice was so fresh. Cee-Lo did this guy dirty TBH. 8.5/10

182. H*nt*r Pl*k* -  ugh. It's hard to talk about this dude without cringing. I'll just focus on the audition itself. I remembering liking this a lot, but upon rewatching, you can tell he is a very limited singer. A prime example of a singer that is carried by vocal quality. But at that time, it truly was a unique style I rarely see on this show, so that's why I latched on to him. I just wish I didn't know what I now know, so I can preserve my appreciation for his contribution to the Voice canon. 8.5/10

181. James Wolpert - as close to a perfect 10/10 audition as you can get. The shock factor here was truly mindboggling. I love how edgy the song choice is in contrast with his clean cut image. Ugh, I miss Season 5 so much. Take me back! 10/10

• Like 1

Please note: Not all videos are available on YouTube. If I can't find it there, I'll link it as the artist's name and song title.

Awarding one point to the first comment I see guess something correctly.

Part 3: 180-171

180: Lisa Ramey (Season 16, Sex on Fire by Kings of Leon)

This is by no means a perfect performance, but I admire the bold song choice (Beyonce's version is my absolute favorite ❤️) and always root for a comeback contestant. I think what stood out to me is the personality and confidence she had with this take, especially compared to her previous performance. And we're not even discussing the growth arc she had on the show. Consistently killed it throughout the rest of her run.

180. Only 2 singers have sung in consecutive blind episodes... and I prefer her.

Lisa's blind auditions aired in the last episode of season 15 and the premiere of season 16 (the only other singer to have this is Johnny Hayes)

179. Aaron Gibson (Season 11, Losing My Religion by R.E.M.)

The consistent disrespect this man got on the show and Idolforums is shameful. A fantastic amount of grit and rasp that I'm glad the coaches recognized. I completely forgot until I rewatched this that he ended up choosing Miley. Also here you are @TeamAudra, this is where I ranked him :haha:

A story in two parts:

Father John Misty on Being Covered on “The Voice”: “Why God Why” | Pitchfork Father John Misty Turned His Deleted Facebook Post Into A T-Shirt

178. Chello (Season 22, Just the Two of Us by Grover Washington, Jr.)

I recognize that this performance is not anywhere near Michael Sanchez's, but this dude oozes charisma and fun and gives off such a cool performance. I love it and can't pick out anything that would keep me from not putting this in my top 200. Singers like Chello are what I root for on the show. Would've loved to have seen him go further.

Camila commented that she played a year of cello around 4th grade. She can say (out loud) that she'd been working with a "Chello" again as a result.

177. Cami Clune (Season 19, Skinny Love by Birdy)

Cami gave a beautiful performance here! This song is excessively covered on the show, but this is easily the best solo version we've had. Gorgeous vocals throughout, a very deserving 4-chair. No complaints here. 

177. One of you won't like how low this placement is, so I'm just telling y'all to be kind.

Paging @QueenCami

(also "I told you to be patient, and I told you to be kind...")

176. Liam St. John (Season 19, Sex & Candy by Marcy Playground)

On a scale of one to ROBBED, this man was ABSOLUTELY robbed. After a few iffy to good versions of this song, we finally got one that was gritty and bluesy and alternative all in one and he just nailed the whole thing. Shame that not all the judges saw that.  And yes, I feel like Liam won his battle as well. Robbed robbed robbed. What a shame we didn't get to hear much else from him.

176. This chart topper gave us the first chair turns of the season and a showdown between an iconic pair of coaches.

Liam reached #1 on the Blues charts on Apple. He was also the first person to audition in season 19 (aired out of order, of course). If you ain't in the spoiler thread, where the heck you at? 😎

175. Sarah Potenza (Season 8, Stay with Me by Faces)

I don't think we've talked a lot about style here on this ranking so far, but lemme just say that Sarah looks just like he sounds and that's fantastic. Confident, fun, badass, and just a bit nerdy. And with the vocals she delivered just that. Waiting for someone else to deliver this song remotely as well as her. Sarah Potenza-types are far too rare.

175. This contestant went home when their coach completely flipped a decision they'd made two rounds before.  Strange that the same people were involved!

Sarah won her battle vs. Hannah Kirby (where Hannah was stolen). Sarah won her KO, but Hannah was stolen back in KO's by Blake. In playoffs, both Sarah and Hannah (and Brooke Adee) were up for the save and Blake shockingly went with Hannah instead of Sarah.

174. Rachel Christine (Season 23, Uninvited by Alanis Morissette)

Shoutout to Rachel for crossing this song off of my list of songs I need covered on the show! It's definitely one of the most deceptively challenging songs on this list and while no one can come super close to Alanis, she absolutely did this song justice and I consider it to be one of the most memorable ones of the season. Her whole run was just back to back impeccable song selections. More of this in season 24 and 25 please @ NBC.

174. This contestant scared one of the coaches, so maybe it's good that they chose to join a team on the opposite side of the panel.

Blake commented that he didn't turn because the song was scary (or something along those lines); she ended up going with Kelly.

173. Cecily Hennigan (Season 16, Foolish Games by Jewel)

Another member of the absurdly large "robbed contestants of Season 16" support group. I remember not expecting much from her going into the episode and anticipating that she'd just be fodder, but she gave such a great, clear vocal that was so incredibly unexpected, I always look back to this. She deserved much better.

173. I don't understand why Kelly didn't turn when she was singing along then, and sang along again a few years later.

Kelly sang along to Cecily's blind, but didn't turn. A few years later, she sang along to the song with Jewel on her show.

172. Madison Hughes (Season 22, Knockin' On Heaven's Door by Bob Dylan)

This is gonna be one of my more polarizing picks, I feel. As someone who loves and seeks out the most unique tones each season, Madison fits the bill exactly. Someone commented in her video that this is what Gwen and Blake's daughter would sound like and I'm IN (although there's another audition later on in the list that I feel might be an even better fit). Madison's voice was just captivating and perhaps it's a bit of recency bias, but I keep coming back to it more than a lot of others from the same season.

Camila joked that she's "in the marriage sandwich" because she, Gwen, and Blake were the only ones to turn.

171. Caroline Pennell (Season 5, Anything Could Happen by Ellie Goulding)

I trust no one that dislikes this audition. Such a sweet voice and she was so surprised and happy to be there and get all that feedback. Just such a pure, wholesome audition from a girl who seems to be having some continued success. Good for her! Would love more moments like this on the show where the contestant just smiles and looks so humbled during their performance.

171. *bum bum BUM*

Even she caught onto the "Sweeeeeeet Caroline" (*bum bum BUM*)

Only 3 points went unearned here. Good work, everyone!

• Like 1

FloorWax: 7

allistr: 1

Dalton Eduardo: 3

Gustavo527: 1

nytsch: 2

rp3598: 2

thevoiceisthetop: 3

AliXRose: 1

VintageVoice: 1

~There are literally 170 people left, don't give up lol~

Edited by Someone648

• Someone648 changed the title to Someone648's Inexplicable Ranking of his Top 200 Blinds Auditions (Part 3/180-171 Results POSTED!)

Lisa and Chello are underrated BAs imo, ok that arrangement of Sex on Fire was kinda weird but I thought she deserved better than a last minute turn

Somehow I expected Blake to choose Hannah in the POs, but I absolutely disagree with that (never cared for Hannah)

29 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

Please note: Not all videos are available on YouTube. If I can't find it there, I'll link it as the artist's name and song title.

Awarding one point to the first comment I see guess something correctly.

Part 3: 180-171

180: Lisa Ramey (Season 16, Sex on Fire by Kings of Leon)

This is by no means a perfect performance, but I admire the bold song choice (Beyonce's version is my absolute favorite ❤️) and always root for a comeback contestant. I think what stood out to me is the personality and confidence she had with this take, especially compared to her previous performance. And we're not even discussing the growth arc she had on the show. Consistently killed it throughout the rest of her run.

Lisa's blind auditions aired in the last episode of season 15 and the premiere of season 16 (the only other singer to have this is Johnny Hayes)

179. Aaron Gibson (Season 11, Losing My Religion by R.E.M.)

The consistent disrespect this man got on the show and Idolforums is shameful. A fantastic amount of grit and rasp that I'm glad the coaches recognized. I completely forgot until I rewatched this that he ended up choosing Miley. Also here you are @TeamAudra, this is where I ranked him :haha:

A story in two parts:

Father John Misty on Being Covered on “The Voice”: “Why God Why” | Pitchfork Father John Misty Turned His Deleted Facebook Post Into A T-Shirt

178. Chello (Season 22, Just the Two of Us by Grover Washington, Jr.)

I recognize that this performance is not anywhere near Michael Sanchez's, but this dude oozes charisma and fun and gives off such a cool performance. I love it and can't pick out anything that would keep me from not putting this in my top 200. Singers like Chello are what I root for on the show. Would've loved to have seen him go further.

Camila commented that she played a year of cello around 4th grade. She can say (out loud) that she'd been working with a "Chello" again as a result.

177. Cami Clune (Season 19, Skinny Love by Birdy)

Cami gave a beautiful performance here! This song is excessively covered on the show, but this is easily the best solo version we've had. Gorgeous vocals throughout, a very deserving 4-chair. No complaints here. 

Paging @QueenCami

(also "I told you to be patient, and I told you to be kind...")

176. Liam St. John (Season 19, Sex & Candy by Marcy Playground)

On a scale of one to ROBBED, this man was ABSOLUTELY robbed. After a few iffy to good versions of this song, we finally got one that was gritty and bluesy and alternative all in one and he just nailed the whole thing. Shame that not all the judges saw that.  And yes, I feel like Liam won his battle as well. Robbed robbed robbed. What a shame we didn't get to hear much else from him.

Liam reached #1 on the Blues charts on Apple. He was also the first person to audition in season 19 (aired out of order, of course). If you ain't in the spoiler thread, where the heck you at? 😎

175. Sarah Potenza (Season 8, Stay with Me by Faces)

I don't think we've talked a lot about style here on this ranking so far, but lemme just say that Sarah looks just like he sounds and that's fantastic. Confident, fun, badass, and just a bit nerdy. And with the vocals she delivered just that. Waiting for someone else to deliver this song remotely as well as her. Sarah Potenza-types are far too rare.

Sarah won her battle vs. Hannah Kirby (where Hannah was stolen). Sarah won her KO, but Hannah was stolen back in KO's by Blake. In playoffs, both Sarah and Hannah (and Brooke Adee) were up for the save and Blake shockingly went with Hannah instead of Sarah.

174. Rachel Christine (Season 23, Uninvited by Alanis Morissette)

Shoutout to Rachel for crossing this song off of my list of songs I need covered on the show! It's definitely one of the most deceptively challenging songs on this list and while no one can come super close to Alanis, she absolutely did this song justice and I consider it to be one of the most memorable ones of the season. Her whole run was just back to back impeccable song selections. More of this in season 24 and 25 please @ NBC.

Blake commented that he didn't turn because the song was scary (or something along those lines); she ended up going with Kelly.

173. Cecily Hennigan (Season 16, Foolish Games by Jewel)

Another member of the absurdly large "robbed contestants of Season 16" support group. I remember not expecting much from her going into the episode and anticipating that she'd just be fodder, but she gave such a great, clear vocal that was so incredibly unexpected, I always look back to this. She deserved much better.

Kelly sang along to Cecily's blind, but didn't turn. A few years later, she sang along to the song with Jewel on her show.

172. Madison Hughes (Season 22, Knockin' On Heaven's Door by Bob Dylan)

This is gonna be one of my more polarizing picks, I feel. As someone who loves and seeks out the most unique tones each season, Madison fits the bill exactly. Someone commented in her video that this is what Gwen and Blake's daughter would sound like and I'm IN (although there's another audition later on in the list that I feel might be an even better fit). Madison's voice was just captivating and perhaps it's a bit of recency bias, but I keep coming back to it more than a lot of others from the same season.

Camila joked that she's "in the marriage sandwich" because she, Gwen, and Blake were the only ones to turn.

171. Caroline Pennell (Season 5, Anything Could Happen by Ellie Goulding)

I trust no one that dislikes this audition. Such a sweet voice and she was so surprised and happy to be there and get all that feedback. Just such a pure, wholesome audition from a girl who seems to be having some continued success. Good for her! Would love more moments like this on the show where the contestant just smiles and looks so humbled during their performance.

171. *bum bum BUM*

Even she caught onto the "Sweeeeeeet Caroline" (*bum bum BUM*)

Only 3 points went unearned here. Good work, everyone!

Yeah…I think you were pretty new to IDF around that time, and I remember your stanning of Aaron Gibson well. His blind wasn’t bad, but I seem to remember him going off the rails in the lives. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

Cecily Hennigan 💔

I remember you being one of the only people to like Chello’s BA lol. At first I liked it as well but as time went on I began to side with the majority on that one.

Happy for the Rachel's appreciation^_^ 

Caroline is one of these contestants that i forget about their existence for months, and then i suddenly remember them and i start listening to all of their performances thinking "Wow! I know why i used to love them, they are so good!!". Her blind audition is one of the first performances ever from this show that i remember replaying it a lot of times. I loved it. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Yeah…I think you were pretty new to IDF around that time, and I remember your stanning of Aaron Gibson well. His blind wasn’t bad, but I seem to remember him going off the rails in the lives. 

I enjoyed his run for the most part and got real annoyed he wasn't fully appreciated by IDF but oh well :haha:

The Father John Misty stuff was definitely uncalled for and unfortunately, the thing I remember him most for.

16 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

Cecily Hennigan 💔

I remember you being one of the only people to like Chello’s BA lol. At first I liked it as well but as time went on I began to side with the majority on that one.

She deserved to win over Selkii :(

And I can see the divisiveness with Chello, but I stand by him lol. It really is the kind of vibe I dig on the show and we don't have contestants that GENUINE quirky fun that often. :haha:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nytsch said:

Lisa and Chello are underrated BAs imo, ok that arrangement of Sex on Fire was kinda weird but I thought she deserved better than a last minute turn

Somehow I expected Blake to choose Hannah in the POs, but I absolutely disagree with that (never cared for Hannah)

There were a lot of flaws in Lisa's blind, but the great outweighed the iffy. Definitely deserved another chair.

Truthfully I wasn't too shocked about Blake picking Hannah based on quality... it's just more of the fact that it was Hannah over Sarah. I would've imagined Sarah would've been a lock for the save in any circumstance.

4 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

Happy for the Rachel's appreciation^_^ 

Caroline is one of these contestants that i forget about their existence for months, and then i suddenly remember them and i start listening to all of their performances thinking "Wow! I know why i used to love them, they are so good!!". Her blind audition is one of the first performances ever from this show that i remember replaying it a lot of times. I loved it. 

Same exact way I feel with her! She slipped under the radar on a great season for me, but she's worthy of a whole lot of praise. My favorite performance of hers may creep its way pretty high on a future list I'm considering doing to kill the offseason time lol.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

I enjoyed his run for the most part and got real annoyed he wasn't fully appreciated by IDF but oh well :haha:

The Father John Misty stuff was definitely uncalled for and unfortunately, the thing I remember him most for.

Even though I wasn’t a fan, and didn’t even like the performance, I was pretty annoyed by Father John Misty, and felt bad for Aaron. That was incredibly rude. 

• Like 2

The devil works hard, but I work harder with these writeups!

180. Lisa Ramey - I enjoyed this one! While this is not gonna make my personal top 100 list, I really wish The Voice would cast more artists in Lisa's lane. We need more edgy, stadium-rock-y singers to come on this show. 8/10

179. Aaron Gibson - waiiiiit.... I didn't remember Aaron's performance being this gorgeous? I like that they leaned in to the mandolin in this one. And he just put the right amount of rasp in here. I guess I had tunnel vision with Michael Sanchez this season that I completely glossed over him. I don't think Aaron ever reached the heights of this audition again, but that just goes to show how fantastic it was. Thanks for reminding me @Someone648! 9.5/10

178. Chello - I distinctly remember my mom really loving this one. I do not, but honestly it's mostly because of the song choice. I truly believe I would be singing a different tune if he sang a cooler pop or indie song. Also, please watch Michael Sanchez's version of this ASAP, please and thank you. 6.5/10

177. Cami Clune - I remember liking this when I first watched it, but I heard so many other superior versions of this song on other Voices around the globe, that it didn't quite hit as hard as before. Maybe because there's a lot of quiet space in the performance? Still, it's a solid pick for sure. 7/10

176. Liam St. John - this was a little too laidback and freeform for me. Nice tone, but it didn't feel like a statement piece. 6/10

175. Sarah Potenza - ahh, here's one that feels like a classic early-era Voice audition. Love her confidence, style and ease in which she nailed those notes. Ugh I wish we can go back to those times. 8.5/10

174. Rachel Christine - IIBH, the song choice carried this one. I think she bit off more that she can chew at certain parts. Still waiting for someone who can truly nail this song on this show. 7.5/10

173. Cecily Hennigan - unexpectedly good! Very haunting, and a nice change of pace. Too bad she didn't get more performances. 8.5/10

172. Madison Hughes - this may be recent, but it has early-era Voice energy. There was a time when this show actively casts people with as unique of a voice as hers. Hoping for more uniquely specific acts like her in the future. 7.5/10

171. Caroline Pennell - DAWWWWWWWWWWW, I love this audition so much! Unique song choice, unexpectedly gorgeous voice, and an endearing stage presence. I still maintain that Caroline is the best indie pop girl this show has ever casted, and I'm not just saying that because she sounds so similar to my queen Regina Spektor. It's ridiculous how there are so many bangers in Season 5. 10/10

Edited by Teraginn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Teraginn said:

Still waiting for someone who can truly nail this song on this show.

I recently watched the video of Alanis performing that song during Woodstock 1999 and it instantly became clear to me why I haven't quite loved any of the cover versions. You just can't compare.

Lisa Ramsey - don't remember this one, this was a bit raw but a very solid vocal. Definitely deserved more than 1 chair turn.

Aaron Gibson - love his voice. His audition was very good and his battle is one of my all time favourites. I think people's dislike of him comes from his live performances, I remember them being a significant drop in quality to his prelives and he lost my interest when it became clear he was going to continue struggling live.

Chello - thank you! One of the most underrated auditions of season 22. Love his tone and I like his more modern sound with the song. Its very different from Michael's more classic soul/funk sound. He made some interesting melody choices and showed some solid belting power and agility. 

Cami Clune - yeah, I guess I'm not a big fan of her tone for this particular song. I much prefer Bon Iver covers with that raw, emotional sound and this was the complete opposite of that.

Liam St John - Hmm.. better than I remember. I think I might like this better than Drew's version.

Sarah Potenza - reminds me of Katie Kadan. Less powerful but more gravelly sounding. both also have similar style too lol. Great audition. Don't remember her live stuff but her prelives were great.

Rachel Christine - yeah she didn't quite nail the song, but I thought she did good enough.

Cecily Hennigan - one of the best one chair turns of all time. This was four chair turn worthy imo. Beautiful tone and felt every word. 

Madison Hughes - she has an interesting tone I'll give her that. Not one I necessarily love though.

Caroline Pennell - I completely forgot about this. Great audition!

I think if I were to do my own list, the only ones for sure making it are Caroline and Cecily of this batch. But I like most of your choices so far (also first time listening to alot of them, so that's fun too)

Edited by Hsamid