The Voice ● S22 ● Spoilers/News/Updates πŸ‚

Someone648

18 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

You're right, IDF did prefer GNT to Wendy and Jershika.

Β 

Also, I'm sure 3 out of 4 black male winners wouldn't have won if IDF was in charge. So, just because of that would these people call IDF racist too?

Wendy was probably the best shot ever to have an AA female winner, but IDF was mostly…”meh…”

Β 

Maybe that’s because she dabbles in country, which is the reason I was drawn to her in the first place.Β 
Β 

No, I do not think IDF is racist.Β 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Quinton said:

Β 

Β 

13 hours ago, Quinton said:

She better stay in her island nation becauseΒ  Β Thank God she ain't in USA currently Β  Β  Β  she did not even release anΒ album

The audacity of you to say that about Queen Tess.Β :angry:

Β 

You're acting like "In Between Words" (Pre-Show) and "Count on My Love" (Post- Show) don't exist.

Β 

Just because you don't pay attention to contestants off-show, doesn't mean they haven't done anything. She has released some singles too. She hasn't done much in last 2 to 3 years, but that doesn't mean she hasn't done anything.

Β 

I would've never replied to you, but since you disrespected Queen Tess, so I had to.Β 

Edited by Hamza Tufail
  • Like 11

13 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Β 

Maybe that’s because she dabbles in country, which is the reason I was drawn to her in the first place.Β 

I still remember a user getting turned off by that when they Frist heard about that.Β :stealth:

Edited by Hamza Tufail
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Β 

The audacity of you to say that about Queen Tess.Β :angry:

Β 

You're acting like "Count on My Love" (Pre-Show) and "In Between Words" (Post- Show) don't exist.

Β 

Just because you don't pay attention to contestants off-show, doesn't mean they haven't done anything. She has released some singles too. She hasn't done much in last 2 to 3 years, but that doesn't mean she hasn't done anything.

Β 

I would've never replied to you, but since you disrespect Queen Tess, so I had to.Β 

Vedo and Darius Scott (the real r&b princes of the voice )are more successful than her commercially and they did not reach top 10Β 

Just now, Hamza Tufail said:

I still remember a user getting turned off by that, when they Frist heard about that.Β :stealth:

I know who you’re talking about. I listened to some of her country stuff and was blown away. I even ended up streaming her 90s pop album a bunch of times, and enjoyed it. I was a little disappointed that she tried to distance herself from country on the show, despite being a regular featured singer in Vince Gill’s band, but that might have just been show strategy (not one I agree with).Β 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I know who you’re talking about. I listened to some of her country stuff and was blown away. I even ended up streaming her 90s pop album a bunch of times, and enjoyed it. I was a little disappointed that she tried to distance herself from country on the show, despite being a regular featured singer in Vince Gill’s band, but that might have just been show strategy (not one I agree with).Β 

I watched some of her country stuff, and gotta say I loved that. She still ended up in the top 2, but If she had done country on the show, she might've had a better chance. (Not saying she'd won)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stacey. said:

If the voting audience was racist, how would it be possible for a black contestant to win another season? Please think about it logically.Β 

Β 

No one is saying the entire voting audience is racist. But your logic is equivalent to saying voters can't possibly be racist because Obama was elected for 8 years.

Β 

You dont think its possible that some voters have some racial prejudice?

Β 

Nothing overt perhaps. But go look at the comments of AA powerhouse diva singers. Let's take Wendy moten and Kim cruse. You have 2 very different sounding belters, one is a crystal clean, pristine belter and the other has a full, rounder tone with rasp. Yet both are constantly labeled as screamers. Meanwhile, Jim ranger can go full ham singing "without you" and "with a little help from my friends" and I don't ever recall seeing that label thrown around..

Β 

Could be a bias against female powerhouse belters in general since Alisan received her fair share, but some of it could also be putting black powerhouse singers in a box as "screamers"

Β 

Β 

5 hours ago, Stacey. said:

Country music just happens to be popular on The Voice. I mean let's also remember that HALF of the top 8 were non-white. White people got voted out this season previously. It's some serious reaching at this point...

I do ultimately think the country audience is the largest reason that country singers dominate the show and powerhouse divas are rarely appreciated to the point of only having 2 winners in 22 seasons.

Β 

That doesn't mean there can't be other factors at play either.

Edited by Hsamid
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

-Median age of the audience is roughly 60 years old…

Β 

-50% of the audience cited country as their favorite genre.Β 
Β 

That’s from a survey a couple years back. I haven’t been able to find it for a while.Β 
Β 

The country bias is real, and when you add Blake in to the mix, you get what we saw the other night. The bias may carry over to the new country coach, depending on who it is. That voting block is very well trained.Β 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Β 

No one is saying the entire voting audience is racist. But your logic is equivalent to saying voters can't possibly be racist because Obama was elected for 8 years.

Β 

Β 

Nothing overt perhaps. But go look at the comments of AA powerhouse diva singers. Let's take Wendy moten and Kim cruse. You have 2 very different sounding belters, one is a crystal clean, pristine belter and the other has a full, rounder tone with rasp. Yet both are constantly labeled as screamers. Meanwhile, Jim ranger can go full ham singing "without you" and "with a little help from my friends" and I don't ever recall seeing that label thrown around..

Β 

Could be a bias against female powerhouse belters in general since Alisan received her fair share, but some of it could also be putting black powerhouse singers in a box as "screamers"

Β 

Β 

I do ultimately think the country audience is the largest reason that country singers dominate the show and powerhouse divas are rarely appreciated to the point of only having 2 winners in 22 seasons.

Β 

Β 

Thank you.Β 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hsamid said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

You ate!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hsamid said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Really appreciate you saying this, as a black IDFer. (I've seen a few kinda suggestive things around here (on this thread and others) that made me raise an eyebrow, but I'll keep them to myself.)

Β 

I agree with everything you said, but I also wanted to add to your point about black powerhouse divas being "screamers" - this has been a trend since practically the start of the show, and it drives me through the wall. Maybe it's because I grew up hearing voices like that all the time (at my parents' church and on gospel radio stations), but those kinds of voices are NOT screaming. There are copious amounts of technique that go into singing like that. It isn't easy at all. I would know, because I can't do it, and neither can my mom or most of my black friends. I am personally acquainted with just a handful of people who can do that.

Β 

So many of these singers could do what basically amounted to vocal acrobatics. They made brilliant, technical decisions on every single note they sang, every run they pulled off, and exactly where to place every belt and note for the most effect. Their performances are always so much more nuanced than America thinks.

Β 

Aaaand then the viewing audience just boxes them in as "screamers."

Β 

It's maddening.

Β 

I've always thought it was a subconscious bias - it reminds me of how, in American football, people automatically think black quarterbacks are less strategic and intelligent than white quarterbacks.

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Saria said:

Came here to say the following, cause I feel strongly that it needs to be said.

Β 

To those saying that race isn't a factor in these results and in the show in general (or that it's not a huge issue)- this is tone deaf and missing the point completely.

Β 

I agree that Blakeism the core issue but there are other underlying issues like racism and sexism. To those trying to prove that racism isn't the huge deal that thousands of people are making it out to be are insensitive and totally wrong. Sure, the voice has had POC winners and finalists. Here is what I see- Cam was on Team Blake, Paris and Wendy were Team Blake. It is possible that some of those would have had to either fight for their spots or not win or make it as far if they didn't have Blake's voting power behind them. There might be exceptions but the results over time reflects that Blake has a lot of sway (yes, even with people like Bodie, a non poc who sings different music from what the demographic typically enjoy).

Β 

The point is that minorities do not prosper or have a significantly lower chance of success on this show if they are not on a certain team. They have to be perfect and choose 'minivan friendly' songs which is ridiculous because they should do what they want to do and be recognized AND rewarded for their talents just as much as the country or non poc folks. If this doesn't scream to you that racism is an underlying factor, I don't know what to tell you. Get educated and dig deeper. Minivan may not even be overtly racist, but their biases run deeper than that- it is very much covert. I'm not saying you cannot have preferences for certain types of singers but the numbers and the comments reflect a bigger issue.Β 

Β 

You may not be racist, I'm sure most of IDF isn't racist, but this is such a small representation on this forum. Many people are not from the US and some may be white folks who have not experienced the deep rooted hurt from all the prejudices against minorities in society. To minimize what people are feeling after the results is not a good look. To simply say that IDF users are not racist because we supported XYZ isn't a valid argument because we cannot conclude that IDF is a valid representation of American society. To simply say that you are not racist is short sighted.Β 

thank you and I'm side EYEING the TWO idfers who liked the post saying race ain't a factor lol. u know who u areΒ 

• Like 1

I think there is some miscommunication here so let me try an analogy.

Β 

I like alternative rock music, which is another genre where there is a known bias towards White male artists. There are some female or POC artists, but not as many and their music is usually harder to find. Does liking that genre mean that I am racist? No, of course not. I don't think anyone reasonable will argue that.

Β 

But I will also acknowledge that the factors making it easier for White males to make it in that genre may involve racism. That is attributable to way more than just individual preferences of the people listening to that genre.

Β 

No one is saying racism is the only factor here. People may just prefer certain types of voices, and that's fine. But that's getting at the individual preference aspect, not the structural aspect, which is where the miscommunication is occurring.

Β 

(Not that it should matter, but I'm White btw)

17 minutes ago, zjc19951109 said:

I wish people were this passionate about indie/rock/folk guys lol, but guess they don't deserve it

Not the typical audience that watches these shows, sadly. Would love for the good ones to actually get support on this show.

I'd just love for any of them to be accepted on the show, period. That's my genre. Justice for Devix.

Edited by Someone648
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, VoiceSelf12 said:

nah trust me there are a bunch of idf members who love those type of guys. Myself included lol

I think they mean the demo of the show.Β 

Β 

IDF loves indie guys, easily the most supported type of male artists on the show. Noah Mac, Hunter Plake, Corey Ward, Samuel Harness, etc.

Β 

And now Devix, and Bodie, albeit the latter has caused a bit of controversy this week.