Who is the most marketable in the Top 14?

CandiceFan12

Who is the most marketable in the Top 14?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the most marketable in the Top 14?

• Allegra
    • Ava
    • Christian
    • Dan
    • Emyrson
    • Fritz
    • HunterGirl
    • Jay
    • Lady K
    • Leah
    • Mike
    • Nicolina
    • Noah
    • Tristen
    • None of the above

They've already cast their lot; the Platinum Tickets were their sign of who they wanted. I picked Huntergirl because they've likely already seen the cracks in Jay when they had to use a wild card just to get him here, and the person they were actually counting on just up and withdrew from the competition. (Yes, I'm still convinced that Kenedi was this year's Exalted One).

I think everyone is marketable in some way except Christian and Jay.

I voted for Hunter because she has more personality than Noah, but hes a close second obviously.

Edited by m1key

I'm aware that she is not everyone's  cup of tea but i think it's noticeable that HunterGirl's original music has been charting on iTunes; her EP "One Day" made it to #2 on the country albums charts. And her song "Heartbreak Down" it's currently at #14 on the country songs chart.

You probably don't need that much sales to chart on iTunes nowadays, but this means that there are people actually interested in her music. This is a good signal for her. I can see her getting a good amount success after the show. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Shireen said:

Emyrson and Hunter,  Noah wouldn't stand out at all in country male market.

I don't think he or Hunter would stand out exactly, but Noah is exactly what country loves. He might not stand out but he sure would fit right in.

1 hour ago, AngelaKD said:

Actually, you don’t want to stand out in the country male market. You want to blend in. 

Agreed. I follow & listen to country. There was an industry publication in the last 2 years that polled radio PD's & why they play singles. The poll results had one of the Top 3 reasons that it fits their sound & station playlist. It's why a lot of songs & artists sound similar. You want to blend in. Not stand out. Noah blends in with the male artists played on radio. It's why I never felt last year's winner, Chayce is really a fit for country radio. His voice is not really common on country radio. Last season's Caleb actually fit more with country radio's typical sound/voice, but his choices derailed his career.

But if you look at the last 2 seasons of Idol, it's Lauren Spencer Smith and Benson Boone who've had the most success.  Both as Pop singers.

The Country guys like Chayce and Laine have not been able to get Country radio to play their music. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mytake1 said:

But if you look at the last 2 seasons of Idol, it's Lauren Spencer Smith and Benson Boone who've had the most success.  Both as Pop singers.

The Country guys like Chayce and Laine have not been able to get Country radio to play their music. 

I'm not sure what happened with Laine. And I think Chayce could do well with his new stuff - he hasn't released an album until this EP so he still has time.

I don't even remember Lauren Spencer Smith or Benson Boone. I have heard one song just recently from Lauren on the radio tho. I haven't hear anything on main stream radio about or from Benson Boone.

1 hour ago, mytake1 said:

It's not just about whether an artist is marketable. Laine is on a terrible label. They don't even have a radio team to release anything to radio. From some of the music I've heard, it fits with country radio. If he actually had a good label, I could see him charting.

Chayce is on a label with the means to push him to radio. Radio hasn't really taken to him (debut single at #56 on Billboard Country Airplay). However, like I said in a previous post I didn't expect Chayce to really fit typical country radio music.

Noah's voice fits country radio. Now whether he succeeds after Idol will depend on the music he releases, potential management & label, etc. But those factors are true for any contestant. Hunter Girl has an EP & her single charting on iTunes, but that means little. Country radio is hard on female artists so I'm not sure she will do well.

I'm not sure anyone from this Top 14 right now is marketable. IMO Noah, Hunter Girl, & possibly Allegra has the best shots, but I wouldn't say I think any of them will have a lot of success. As I said, whether they become successful depends on many things not just marketability.

Edited by ptebwwong

If I'm Idol, I don't want another country person (Mike, Noah, Dan, Hunter), and we've seen alt/indie/Rock (Fritz, Leah, Ava, Tristen) options never really pan out in a sustainable way.  Christian, Jay and Nicolina to me have the greatest opportunity in Broadway/Theatre lanes, and Allegra seems to have plateaued after getting a shot on the voice considering she didn't get the votes last week.

If I'm an A&R, I see Emyrson as having the highest ceiling for the record label, but that means taking the time to develop due to her age.  

2 hours ago, ptebwwong said:

Hunter Girl has an EP & her single charting on iTunes, but that means little. Country radio is hard on female artists so I'm not sure she will do well.

Ok, i just want to clarify that i'm very aware of how country radio treats female artists. I don't expect HunterGirl to be a great star like Carrie Underwood, but i hope that she is able to get recognition in the country music community, maybe at the level of Lauren Alaina or Gabby Barrett (i don't like Gabby but you get my point).