American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown

Alex95

1 hour ago, 1234567890 said:

And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going > Respect.

200.gif

Love both but i agree with you on this. 

1 hour ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

I agree.

And I think the "Respect" in the top 20 is the semifinal version, and I thought the finale was better.

Aww both are great but I always loved the semi-final version more. :haha: 

5. Kelly Clarkson "Respect"

9dd3RZ1.png

8.2/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo_ODJnyPcM

@JC - 2/20

@*Diana - 2/20

@sublymonal - 3/20

@taylorkat - 3/20

@*Amanda - 3/20

@Steven_ - 6/20

@*Chris - 7/20

@Crisis - 7/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 7/20

@*Wallace - 8/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 8/20

@*Lily - 9/20

@1234567890 - 10/20

@Elliott - 11/20

@Alex95 - 11/20

@~Tom~ - 13/20

@Solaris - 14/20

@FrogLenzen - 14/20

@goofycilla90 - 18/20

JC

queen, slay it gurl!

Andrew

Again, Kelly + Aretha = Magic. It blows my mind that after this performance in the Semi-Finals, she didn’t immediately become a front runner. I guess because she was a little less polished than Tamyra and Justin, but this was the moment when I *knew*.

Steven

A great start to Kelly's Idol run! She effortlessly delivered a strong vocal with just a piano accompanying her. 

Chris

An incredible first performance by Kelly Clarkson where Miss Clarkson was like you will remember me after this performance!

Wally

Kelly’s first true time being shown on American Idol. This was such a groundbreaking moment. Kelly went from an unknown to blowing away the judges and America with this performance. It’s hard to make such a standout performance with just a backing piano but Kelly did that. She was so soulful and absolutely nailed and killed every vocal she sang here. :omg: i love the sass and atitudee she brought to this performance too. One part that always sticks out to me is where and how she sings: IMMA SING IT ONE MORE TIME. That always kills me. :dead: Such an amazing first performance from Kelly.

Lily

The way she slipped under the radar with the judges and then absolutely killed this. A legendary moment!

Elliott

ICONIC.

Alex

Kelly really just came out of nowhere and SLAYED that performance! Obviously not her strongest vocal in the history of the show but DAMNNNNNNNN! SHE DID THAT! And history was born. Thee Kelly Clarkson was born.

4. Tamyra Gray "Minnie The Moocher"

DWliom4.png

6.9/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZK5c-elqoQ

@Alex95 - 1/20

@1234567890 - 2/20

@*Wallace - 3/20

@Crisis - 3/20

@*Lily - 3/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 3/20

@goofycilla90 - 3/20

@Steven_ - 5/20

@*Chris - 5/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 5/20

@~Tom~ - 5/20

@*Amanda - 6/20

@Elliott - 8/20

@sublymonal - 9/20

@FrogLenzen - 11/20

@Solaris - 13/20

@taylorkat - 14/20

@*Diana - 14/20

@JC - 19/20

Alex

Yup my absolute favorite performance of season one. It is ICONIC! It is my jam and I wanna listen to it every day. The super fast part where the audience stops singing along KILLS me every time :dead:. I didn't think it was gonna win, especially since the three performances above it are ICONIC so I'm very happy with its placement.

Wally

Gosh that Season 1 Big Band night had some strong performances - we all know Kelly was iconic that night but let’s not forget that Tamyra’s "Minnie The Moocher" was an iconic performance as well. :wub: This is one of the many Tamyra performances I always and often go back on rewatching and re-listennig to over the years.

I know I never heard of this song before Tamyra sang it but I always associate it with her when I hear other versions that doesn’t compare to this for me. Tamyra performed this song with such poise, confidence and a naturalness. I love her storytelling here, and how she sings the song with such power throughout. ❤️ Tamyra really performed, lived and breathe this classic Big Band era. I love the slow scatting she does on the first chorus of the song but then the most EPIC part of the song is that fast scatting she does! It kills me every time.  :dead: Tamyra sings that part so effortlessly. It’s so fun to sing along with her there! Even though Crisis & I had a few options in mind to advance, I am so glad we went with this.

Lily

Completely embodied the spirit of the Big Band night and felt right at home. The way she so naturally led that audience singalong! 

Steven

This was an awesome Tamyra performance. Although I'm not really a fan of the scatting part of the song, Tamyra showed off so much charm and talent with this performance.

Chris

I kept going back and forth where to rank this song; it's obviously one of the better performances of the season but I prefer some of her other performances more to this one.

Elliott

So this is actually my favourite Tamyra performance! I really enjoyed this, and it was nice seeing her do something fun and uptempo.

Andrew

Like Kelly, Tamyra definitely rose to the challenge of big band week and gave us an unexpectedly great performance. This was the week when I started hoping for the two of them to be the Top 2.

JC

i love this lol, she did a great job, possibly have to put this last because it's so good

3. Kelly Clarkson "Stuff Like That There"

2wpDfqr.png

4.7/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64S5Rn9mlxs

@sublymonal - 1/20

@Solaris - 1/20

@*Amanda - 1/20

@*Chris - 1/20

@~Tom~ - 1/20

@*Wallace - 2/20

@Steven_ - 2/20

@Crisis - 2/20

@*Lily - 2/20

@Elliott - 3/20

@taylorkat - 4/20

@Alex95 - 4/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 4/20

@FrogLenzen - 5/20

@1234567890 - 6/20

@JC - 7/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 9/20

@*Diana - 15/20

@goofycilla90 - 20/20

Andrew

Big Band Week was such an unexpected success that season and even the lower ranking performances were still pretty enjoyable, but Kelly’s version of this song is still one of the biggest surprises in the show’s history. On par with Blake’s “You Give Love a Bad Name” and David Cook’s “Billie Jean” just in terms of leaving everyone flabbergasted. I think this was the moment where the magic of American Idol became apparent. That a waitress from Texas could get up on that stage and sing a Bette Midler song that well. Pure magic. I want it to win this rankdown but I don’t know if everyone loves it as much as I do. We shall see.

Solaris

One of the Greatest performances of all time

Chris

Flawless performance and one of my all-time performances in American Idol history.

Wally

The Big Band night on Season 1 had some great performances and of course, Kelly’s "Stuff Like That There" is such an amazing and iconic performance! I do go back and forth between this and “A Natural Woman” as my favorite Kelly performance but most of the time, I do choose this. I love how soft and pretty Kelly’s voice is on the a cappella intro of the song, she sounds so gorgeous. ❤️ But the true essence and iconic moments come when she kicks the song to its uptempo feel. I love her fast singing there, and the flirty and sassy nature she brings to the song. :bobo: She performed this so effortlessly and truly owned the song. I love the big note she does in the middle of the song and then that little “oooo, ha” she does, which was so cute. :giggle: I also love the “stuff like that there” part she speaks in a sultry way too. :giggle: Of course i love all of the big belting parts she sings throughout and especially towards the end. :omg: But yeah everything else she sings and how she performs here is so amazing! This is an amazing performance that always stands out to me amongst the greatest performances on this series!

Steven

Kelly was flawless on this song! She was charismatic and charming, and her vocals were superb. One of the best Idol performances ever.

Lily

A showstopping moment. Already gave us so many brilliant performances but something about this was so magnetic. Almost as if she had been transported from the Big Band era.

Elliott

ICONIC.

Alex

What's left to be said? It's one of the most iconic performances in Idol history for a reason. It was something different from Kelly and a side from her we haven't really seen and she KILLED it. I actually would've loved to see it win, it's really that good.

JC

this is adorb, Kelly can literally sing anything and slay!

2. Kelly Clarkson "A Natural Woman"

zTz9Qrg.png

3.8/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQb0el0tAEA

@Steven_ - 1/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 1/20

@FrogLenzen - 1/20

@sublymonal - 2/20

@taylorkat - 2/20

@*Amanda - 2/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 2/20

@JC - 3/20

@Solaris - 3/20

@1234567890 - 3/20

@*Chris - 3/20

@~Tom~ - 3/20

@Crisis - 4/20

@Elliott - 5/20

@*Wallace - 5/20

@*Diana - 5/20

@Alex95 - 6/20

@*Lily - 6/20

@goofycilla90 - 16/20

Steven

This is my favorite performance of the season, and it's the best cover I've heard of the song too. Kelly's vocals were stellar, and that high note was especially impressive. This was Kelly's big moment on the show, and she proved she could win the competition after this performance.

Andrew

I think it’s pretty obvious that I want one of Kelly’s performances to win and if it can’t be SLTT, this is a close second for me. Only Candice Glover has ever even come close to reproducing the magic of this performance.

JC

classic, gorgeous ballad way to sang it, that falsetto night ❤️ 

Solaris

iconic

Chris

This performance happened at the right time for Kelly. And after all of these years, it is one of the most memorable performance of her Idol journey which became one of her staple performances. 

Elliott

ICONIC.

Wally

Kelly sang so many classic songs, and this is a very big classic, and as we know, Kelly completed slayed and did an amazing job with this song.  I love the soul she brought, the emotion she sang the song with and of course the incredible vocal delivery. :omg: The slow build up was great and those power notes? All amazing. But THAT WHISTLE NOTE??? OMG such a vocal iconic moment that I (we all should) will always remember! :omg: She was channeling her inner  Mariah there. Ooh and it was cute how the fan came up and gave her a rose after this. :haha: This always stands out as one of my very favorite performances from Kelly!

It was also great seeing Kelly sing this song nearly 18 years later on her talk show, which she did an amazing job there too (though i was disappointed she didn’t do the whistle note there). I’ll post that below:

Alex

The whistle note heard around the world that won Kelly Clarkson the show! An iconic, legendary performance that will be remembered forever.

Lily

Another song which has just been done to death but Kelly's take on it will always go down as a classic! The high note, love to hear it!

1. Tamyra Gray "A House Is Not A Home"

UPSndRi.png

3.8/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gppj5h2okM

@*Wallace - 1/20

@1234567890 - 1/20

@*Diana - 1/20

@Crisis - 1/20

@*Lily - 1/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 1/20

@goofycilla90 - 1/20

@Solaris - 2/20

@*Chris - 2/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 2/20

@FrogLenzen - 2/20

@~Tom~ - 2/20

@Steven_ - 3/20

@*Amanda - 4/20

@taylorkat - 5/20

@sublymonal - 8/20

@Alex95 - 8/20

@Elliott - 10/20

@JC - 18/20

Wally

While re-visiting these Season 1 performances, it’s so good realizing how many great performances there were on this show. I’m sure we all got different #1s but Tamyra’s“"A House Is Not A Home" always stands out as my favorite performance of the season (and I don’t know if that will ever change for me?) This is another one of those many songs I wasn’t familiar with before Tamyra sang it but I always associate it with her. This is also one of those performances i re-visit and re-watch over the years, as I do with many Tamyra and Kelly performances. This is such a beautiful song, and Tamyra sang and emoted this so beautifully and stunningly! :wub: I love everything about this…. from the first note to the very last note. Tamyra connected so well to the song and truly sold the story of the song. ❤️ I loved all of the softness, restraint, and subtly nature she sang this song in.  

It’s hard to pick a standout part here but some of my favorites includes where Tamyra sings: 

Don't let one mistake keep us apart

I'm not meant to live alone

Turn this house into a home

When I climb the stairs and turn the key

Oh, please be there

Then I also love how she builds up the song EVEN more where she sangs and belts out:

I'm not meant to live alone

Turn this house into a home

STILL IN LOOOOVVVVVEEEEEEEE wiiitttth me

Absolute SLAYAGE! :omg::dead: The way she sings that “love” note? Always KILLS ME. :dead: This better rank at least in the Top 5, and f it doesn’t, Im disappointed and leaving IDF forever. This is incredible and one of my all-time favorite performances ever on American Idol.

Lily

Favorite performance of the season. Potentially favorite of all-time, definitely up there. An incredible vocal and Tamyra delivered the emotion needed for the performance.

Solaris

Iconic

Chris

Flawless performance and one of my all-time performances in American Idol history. 

Steven

Tamyra sang from the heart and delivered one of the best Idol performances ever with this song.

Andrew

Objectively, this probably deserves to be higher, but I also think it’s the biggest threat to Kelly’s title so I’m ranking it lower than I might otherwise. It says a lot that this performance is still in the conversation for one of the best in Idol history 19 seasons later. It was emotional and note-for-note perfection, though I still prefer SLTT to it, by far.

Alex

Okay so when the top 20 got revealed I was gonna tank this because I wanted something else to win. But then I submitted my rankings honestly without any tanking because I was too lazy and just wanted to make rankings before other people did. I love the performance and it's obviously iconic, but I just personally prefer upbeat performances. However, then JC's ranking came in and I started rooting for this hardcore even though I ranked the other Kelly performances below it above this :dead:. It's obviously one of the most well-sung performances in the history of the show and such a Moment. Kelly won the Idol Rankdown game, so I'm glad a Tamyra performance can win this.

Elliott

ICONIC. Is this still one of the greatest Idol performances of all time? Yes. Am I expecting Victoria to never let me live down the fact that I ranked it at 10th? Also yes. This is an honest ranking based off my personal feelings on these performances with no sense of objectivity, so unfortunately, tenth is where it lands.

JC

bigger threat to Kelly so lower

Edited by Alex95
  • Confused 1

That's right ladies and gentlemen, for the very first game it ended in an exact tie between the top two! I said it was close, I couldn't believe it was that close! Tamyra had the more number one performances than Kelly though so AHINAH won.

• Like 3

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 1 - 5-1 Posted)
1 minute ago, 1234567890 said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47dv1dqlntj8yi5fjig9

I AM SO BEYOND HAPPY. 😭

Your sister is an actual mastermind. A Natural Woman was running away with it after JC's rankings. I was wondering if someone would do the opposite, but it wasn't happening...and then Priscilla's came in and my jaw dropped :dead:. And then finding out that she had intel that JC was doing what he was doing.

STAN MASTERMIND @goofycilla90!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is your last chance to sign up for S2! We're starting tomorrow:

-Alex

-Chris

-Sola

-Kaley

-Victoria

-Steven

-Elliott

-Derek

-Wally

-Diana

-Gigi

-Kevin

-Priscilla

-Tom

-Amanda

-Andrew

-Lily

-Crisis

-JC

-Nico

-Andy

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Your sister is an actual mastermind. A Natural Woman was running away with it after JC's rankings. I was wondering if someone would do the opposite, but it wasn't happening...and then Priscilla's came in and my jaw dropped :dead:. And then finding out that she had intel that JC was doing what he was doing.

STAN MASTERMIND @goofycilla90!!!!!!!!!

Xi4k.gif

Can't argue with that Top 2 of course. Cheers to everyone, and may the rest of our seasons have great results

I prefer the finale version of Respect because by then Kelly had a bit of a swagger and I think it went well with the song

This is really SUCH an iconic Top 5! :omg: OMG We did that, IDF! :wub:

Lovee “Respect” but that wsas my least fave of the Top 5, so I am glad it came in at #5. Still, it’s such an iconic performance.

Love seeing Alex ranking “Minnie the Moocher” as his favorite performance of AI1. 😮 Lovee this a ton as I had it at #3 so I am pleased it came in at #4. I’m glad JC gave this props but that ranking….. ain’t cute. 🙂

Oooh snap, whoa I was predicting “Stuff Like That There” to win, so I am shocked that didn’t happen. 😮  I was kinda rooting for this to win (if AHINAH doesn’t do so). OMGGG Priscilla (and kinda Diana) absolutely killed this performance chance of winning. :shock: But besides that, danggg at all of those #1 and #2 rankings! :omg: Incredible but so well deserved!

“A Natural Woman” is also incredible and dangg wow I thought this was gonna win after SLTT not winning. I hated plaint this at 5th as that felt kinda low but I just loved my Top 4 more. Still, this is amazing and a well deserved 2nd placer here. I love how so many of us talked about the iconic whistle note.

OMGGG I am sooo shook and in shock of Tamyra’s AHINAH winning! :omg::spaz: Dangg I did not  seee that coming and was expecting/hoping for a 2nd finish or even thinking 3rd. But yeah this is really iconic and absolutely outstanding. And wowww SEVEN #1 rankings? :omg:  That is incredible! And HA HA HA to JC…. Trying to tank all of Tamyra’s performances and she still won this. 🙂

And lol I noticed Lily and I ranked 3 of these performances exactly the same, our Top 3 in fact (Tamyra’s AHINAH & MTM and Kelly’s SLTT). :giggle:  :wub:

5 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Oooh snap, whoa I was predicting “Stuff Like That There” to win, so I am shocked that didn’t happen. 😮  I was kinda rooting for this to win (if AHINAH doesn’t do so). OMGGG Priscilla (and kinda Diana) absolutely killed this performance chance of winning. :shock:

Thank God for that :wub:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, *Diana said:

Thank God for that :wub:

:dead: 

That result really stunned me.

5 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

I love Kelly she is the best American Idol winner ever IMO but Tamyra deserved this win. ❤️ Kelly has won at real life. :haha:

SO happy for Tamyra to have this moment! :wub: