Musician Discography Rankdown (Bonus Round)

FrogLenzen

FINAL STANDINGS PART FIVE

5. Space Cowboy (2018, prod. by Daniel Tashian + Ian Fitchuk + Kacey Musgraves, written by Kacey Musgraves + Luke Laird + Shane McAnally)

Album: Golden Hour

source.gif

US Hot Country Songs (Billboard): #30 (Single)

US Country Digital Song Sales (Billboard): #11 (Single)

United States Album Certification (RIAA): Gold (Single)

Grammy Award: Best Country Song

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Cowboy_(Kacey_Musgraves_song)

RANKINGS:

Derek: 9

QK: 8

Nico: 8

Lily: 13

Tom: 3

Andy: 12

Megan: 2

Kaley: 9

Chris: 12

Victoria: 8

Elliott: 8

Dee: 12

Final Average = 8.67

COMMENTS

Seriously gorgeous. While I think Golden Hour as an album is her magnum opus, Space Cowboy took a while to grow on me. I instantly recognized its beauty, but I think it took some time for me to realize why this song is so fantastic. The composition truly is genius.

On 11/8/2020 at 11:40 AM, *Lily said:

While it's not one of my most-played from this album, no doubt that it's another excellent song and thoroughly deserving of being in the top 25.

On 11/10/2020 at 8:12 PM, ~Tom~ said:

This one was my #1 for a long time It has the most clever title out of any of her songs as well, because one would think she'd be singing about her cowboy going off into space or something of that nature, but instead it is a break up song with him wanting to be alone and her being content with it. It is one of her most beautiful and ethereal ones, even among Golden Hour, so it was a perfect single choice.

On 11/10/2020 at 8:56 PM, #jeah said:

I actually had a hard time with this song for awhile because it feels so different lyrically from most of the rest of GH, but you can’t deny how gorgeous this song is. The verse-chorus-verse combo in the first half is mesmerizing and then the key change is everything. We love a good key change! Definitely one of the best songs off of Golden Hour and I’ve grown really love this.

On 11/15/2020 at 7:40 PM, *Chris said:

When I first heard this song, I fell in love with it right away - if you know me, you know that I absolutely love ballads especially this kind of ballads. The way you can feel the meaning of the song through her voice speaks volume to her storytelling capability. As well, I will use this occasion to promote Brandon Stansell's version of the song - Brandon is a gay country male singer who deserves all the recognition in the world, among many other underrated singers that deserves more recognition but fail to have it due to the lack of diversity in the country music industry mainly country radio.

4. Rainbow (2018, prod. by Daniel Tashian + Ian Fitchuk + Kacey Musgraves, written by Kacey Musgraves + Natalie Hemby + Shane McAnally)

tumblr_pmqxshY54u1wzagvio2_540.gifv

US Billboard Hot 100 (Billboard): #98 (Single)

US Hot Country Songs (Billboard): #17 (Single)

US Country Airplay (Billboard): #33 (Single)

US Adult Contemporary (Billboard): #16 (Single)

United States Certification (RIAA): Gold (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_(Kacey_Musgraves_song)

RANKINGS:

Derek: 8

QK: 1

Nico: 11

Lily: 5

Tom: 6

Andy: 16

Megan: 12

Kaley: 1

Chris: 9

Victoria: 10

Elliott: 2

Dee: 6

Final Average = 7.25

COMMENTS

My absolute favorite from the masterpiece that is Golden Hour. Rainbow is profoundly beautiful. A true beacon of hope and encouragement.

Originally not one of my top favourite, this song quickly became one of my favourite of the album over the past year & half for multiple reasons. Not only does Kacey give us an emotional performance on this track, she managed to compose & write another great song that everyone can relate to. 

I think she says it pretty perfectly when talking about this song - she hopes it will serve as an anthem for those facing adversity, and I think that's exactly what this track delivers with.

I'm sure there are a lot of songs about how bad moods are a storm and there are rainbows waiting, but Kacey makes it clever as always! This one is perfect for battling anxiety and depression (which means I've been listening to it quite a bit lately).

On 11/10/2020 at 8:55 PM, #jeah said:

The perfect closer to Golden Hour and a love letter to the gays. ❤️ Kacey doesn’t really do piano ballads so this definitely sticks out in her discography thus far and is probably one of her most iconic songs at this point. That chorus is an instant classic.

3. Follow Your Arrow (2013, prod. by Luke Laird + Shane McAnally + Kacey Musgraves, written by Kacey Musgraves + Brandy Clark + Shane McAnally)

Album: Same Trailer Different Park

tumblr_pmv2git3YM1v72ye8o1_500.gifv

US Billboard Hot 100: #60 (Single)

US Hot Country Songs (Billboard): #10 (Single)

US Country Airplay (Billboard): #43 (Single)

United States Certification (RIAA): Platinum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dime_Store_Cowgirl

RANKINGS

Derek: 11

QK: 3

Nico: 1

Lily: 7

Tom: 2

Andy: 20

Megan: 7

Kaley: 11

Chris: 4

Victoria: 2

Elliott: 4

Dee: 3

Final Average = 6.25

COMMENTS

The crowning achievement of her career! A landmark statement piece for the country genre and a star-making hit. I was quite shocked to see Andy rank it where he did. This is such a defining moment for her career and a song that truly never, ever gets old. An anthem.

If there's a song that had a great impact on me as a openly gay country music fan, it is this song - it remains one of my favourite of hers after all these years, which is not surprising considering it is one of her more known song.  And now, here's part of I wrote about this song in my write-up for Kacey in the music rankdown: 

Originally written for Katy Perry, this song was an instant hit for Kacey despite not having impact on the airplay chart.  This was the song that introduced the world to Kacey Musgraves - her name was on everyone's lips for being a country singer & releasing this kind of song especially with lyrics such as “Make lots of noise, Kiss lots of boys, Or kiss lots of girls, If that's something you're into” // “Say what you feel, Love who you love”.  The song showcased that it is country radio that is the problem & not necessarily the artists or the industry itself - I am simply saying this considering how Kacey was awarded at the awards for this song especially at the CMA Awards for "Song of the Year" which she shared the award with Shane McAnally & Brandy Clark which made them the first openly gay individuals to win an award at the CMA. 

And personally speaking, this is the song that made me go from a fan to a stan - as a openly gay male who loves country music, I finally felt that I was welcomed in the genre & I could consolidate two identities of mine.  As well, with the release of this song, I have noticed a shift in country music since the release of this song where more artists are being vocal about social issues.  

On 11/8/2020 at 9:17 AM, NGM said:

While I revisit PM more often than STDP, I'm gonna argue that the STDP is by far her strongest album, and the core of that resides on just way stronger songwriting than any of her other albums have. Any of the Top 3 songs I ranked I can make a good case for being the best, but this (at the moment) strikes the best balance between simplicity and storytelling. It's just a resounding f*ck you to judgement and societal norms, and she sells the hell out of it by being completely unironic about it.

Feels like such a defining moment within her discography. Love the lyrics on this one and a real highlight of hers for me.

I wanted to tank this because it's a predictable winner, but I love it too much. There's no other song out there that exposes the double standards of social norms like this one, and the "if you don't save yourself for marriage you're a whore-able person" always makes me smile. The witty banter about "damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't" and the Americana feel immediately made me fall in love with Kacey when I heard it, so I can't tank.

On 11/10/2020 at 8:55 PM, #jeah said:

Genuinely, this isn’t a strategic ranking or anything, it’s just never been one of my favorite Kacey songs. I have no idea why! I absolutely love the message and remember hearing this song for the first time and being shocked to hear such a progressive and positive message from a country singer. The song itself has a memorable hook and clever lyrics behind its great message. 

2. Slow Burn (2018, prod. by Daniel Tashian + Ian Fitchuk + Kacey Musgraves, written by Kacey Musgraves + Daniel Tashian + Ian Fitchuk)

Kacey_Musgraves_-_Golden_Hour.png

US Billboard Hot 200: #4 (Album)

US Top Country Albums (Billboard): #1 (Album)

US Folk Albums (Billboard): #1 (Album)

United States Album Certification (RIAA): Gold (Album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Hour_(Kacey_Musgraves_album)

RANKINGS:

Derek: 1

QK: 4

Nico: 7

Lily: 4

Tom: 8

Andy: 1 

Megan: 8

Kaley: 8

Chris: 2

Victoria: 14

Elliott: 6

Dee: 8 

Final Average = 5.92

COMMENTS

A killer opening song. A truly magnificent piece of music that sets up a new age for Kacey as she moves away from critiquing the small-town life and instead embracing love, life, warmth, spirituality, and exploration. So easy to see why this song is her personal favorite from the album - it's intensely autobiographical, but that is what makes her music so incredible.

I don't really know how to explain my love for this song, but I just love how it's a typical Kacey song which I love. Anyway, this song is amazing especially lyrically - easily the best from Golden Hour. 

Such a perfect introduction to the album. Really sets the scene for Golden Hour and therefore gets such a high ranking from me.

There is a lot to love about Slow Burn. It is very clever lyrically like almost all of Kacey's songs. The folksy string arrangement is gorgeous. The aaah-s in the second half when the orchestration kicks in are also worthy of mention. 

Really, this song is just pure magic for me. Definitely in my top 5 favorite songs ever and it’s only been around for a couple of years. Slow Burn is just one of those songs that makes you fall in love with music. It’s so ethereal and nostalgic. The message, like a lot of her songs, is super simple. Take it slow because you are still figuring life out! But it’s written and sung in a way that is so uplifting and comforting. When I visited China a couple years ago I had this on repeat and kept listening to the part “In Tennessee the sun’s going down, but in Beijing they’re headed out to work” and then rewinding haha. This is just one of those songs to me that has accompanied me on so many life moments and will stick with me for awhile. “Old soul waiting my turn, I know a few things but I’ve still got a lot to learn” is like my new life motto! Absolutely adore this song and hope to see it ranked high.

1. Merry Go 'Round (2013, prod. by Luke Laird + Shane McAnally + Kacey Musgraves, written by Kacey Musgraves + Shane McAnally + Josh Osborne)

giphy.gif

US Billboard Hot 100: #63 (Single)

US Hot Country Songs (Billboard): #14 (Single)

US Country Airplay (Billboard): #10 (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merry_Go_'Round_(Kacey_Musgraves_song)

RANKINGS:

Derek: 6

QK: 5

Nico: 2

Lily: 6

Tom: 7

Andy: 3 

Megan: 1

Kaley: 4

Chris: 1

Victoria: 4

Elliott: 3

Dee: 2

Final Average = 3.67

COMMENTS

I am always very torn on whether Merry Go 'Round or Somebody to Love is my favorite Kacey song. It all depends on the day. I typically lean more towards the latter, but there is no denying that her debut single is monumental. This is perfect storytelling. This is what music is all about - transporting us to another world with words and sounds. As basic as that sounds, Kacey proves herself to be a masterful storyteller in this song. Lyrically speaking, Kacey is nearly cinematic in this song. The song is depressing, somber, nostalgic. Because this song is so steeped in reality. And the true power of this song is lies in its surface simplicity - hiding the dark underbelly of this masterpiece of country music. A perfect winner.

Like the majority of country music fan, this song introduced me to Kacey Musgraves in 2012. Shortly after listening to the song, I quickly fell in love with her voice & the song notably for the lyrics - the usage of metaphors to help paint an image of a small-town is truly brilliant. And having grown up in an extremely small town, I've felt every words that she was singing in the song especially “If you ain't got two kids by 21, You're probably gonna die alone At least that's what tradition told you” and “We get bored so we get married, And just like dust we settle in this town”.  Even so after all these years, I am still obsessed with the song & I believe this song is still THAT song. 

As well, this song certainly solidified Kacey as one of the best singer-songerwriter in modern country music while being true to her country roots. Not only does this song showcase her songwriting ability, it solidified her as one of the best storyteller country music have seen since the like of Dolly Parton & Loretta Lynn, in my opinion.

On 11/8/2020 at 9:17 AM, NGM said:

I think as far as storytelling goes, she has never matched this. This paints one of the most vivid pictures of rural USA and pulls absolutely no punches in the critiques it levels at them. How warm and pretty her tone is hides a ton in this song, because at its core it's somber as hell. And the best and most subtle part about it? She doesn't separate herself from it, she put herself directly in that song, adding to the intensity

The first I, and I suppose many with it being her debut single, had heard of Kacey and really loved her from this moment. An excellent debut.

This one has always been one of my top favorites from Kacey. It offers a critique of small town life, and the "broken merry go round" is a great metaphor for how life in small towns can stay the same and people can stay set in ther (sometimes destructive) ways. 

This was the first Kacey song I recall hearing and first established me as a Kacey Musgraves fan. This is Kacey at her storytelling best. “If you ain’t got two kids by 21, you’re probably gonna die alone, at least that’s what tradition tells you” is such a powerful start to a song lol. This song has a really sad theme to it actually, basically about those kids who grow up and then just stay in their hometown their whole lives. But for them it just works, and I guess there’s nothing wrong with that. Merry Go Round explores the mundane parts of life and makes you think...but it’s also just a really catchy song with a memorable chorus. That outro is really sad, too. Definitely will always remain as one of Kacey’s most iconic songs and it’s easily in my top 3.

Edited by Deeee

The Kacey round is officially over! Thank you everybody for being so patient this round. I know the world and life took over for most of us the last few weeks, but it has been nice to be able to return to her beautiful music. @*Chris @#jeah @NGM @totes4totes @Elliott @1234567890 @FrogLenzen @~Tom~ @QueenKalie @*Lily @~*8Kay8*~

@.Rei if you could PM me the Shakira discography when you have the time, that would be great!

• Like 4

Super happy with the outcome - 3 of my Top 4 being the Top 3 makes me super happy! 

And I am glad to see many of you participate in one of my favourite artist's round - I hope everyone (viewers & rankers) will keep diving deeper into her discography, and discover other artists like Kacey that are currently making country music!

PS: Forever grateful that I had the opportunity to meet her and let her know how much her work as a country singer and ally meant to me ❤️ 

Edited by *Chris
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, *Chris said:

And I am glad to see many of you participate in one of my favourite artist's round - I hope everyone (viewers & rankers) will keep diving deeper into the discography, and listen to other artists like Kacey that are currently making country music!

I wish I could have done it sooner, but absolutely doing another deep dive into Kacey’s music and excited to do so! Golden Hour is where I really fell in love with her and so my love for her will always stay there. But I look forward to being able to have that same love for her other work ❤️ 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, *Lily said:

I wish I could have done it sooner, but absolutely doing another deep dive into Kacey’s music and excited to do so! Golden Hour is where I really fell in love with her and so my love for her will always stay there. But I look forward to being able to have that same love for her other work ❤️ 

Her work as a songwriter is also incredible too especially these two songs;

Also some covers of hers that I love:

2 minutes ago, Deeee said:

I think Kacey had a difficult final ranking, only because I was genuinely okay with many of her songs winning.

I agree - I would have been fine with the majority of the songs; I really struggled where to rank some songs.

40 minutes ago, Deeee said:

1. Merry Go 'Round (2013, prod. by Luke Laird + Shane McAnally + Kacey Musgraves, written by Kacey Musgraves + Shane McAnally + Josh Osborne)

giphy.gif

US Billboard Hot 100: #63 (Single)

US Hot Country Songs (Billboard): #14 (Single)

US Country Airplay (Billboard): #10 (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merry_Go_'Round_(Kacey_Musgraves_song)

RANKINGS:

Megan: 1

Final Average = 3.67

i am a winner.