Musician Discography Rankdown (Bonus Round)

FrogLenzen

FINAL STANDINGS PART FOUR

10. Golden Hour (2018, prod. by Daniel Tashian + Ian Fitchuk + Kacey Musgraves, written by Kacey Musgraves + Daniel Tashian + Ian Fitchuk)

Album: Golden Hour

Kacey_Musgraves_-_Golden_Hour.png

US Billboard Hot 200: #4 (Album)

US Top Country Albums (Billboard): #1 (Album)

US Folk Albums (Billboard): #1 (Album)

United States Album Certification (RIAA): Gold (Album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Hour_(Kacey_Musgraves_album)

RANKINGS:

Derek: 2

QK: 12

Nico: 19

Lily: 1

Tom: 12

Andy: 14 

Megan: 13

Kaley: 22

Chris: 23

Victoria: 7

Elliott: 7

Dee: 11 

Final Average = 11.92

COMMENTS

Somehow tenth place feels like a robbery for this song? IDK. Her catalog is that strong.

On 11/15/2020 at 7:40 PM, *Chris said:

Not a top favourite of mine but this does not take away the vulnerability in her voice on this track.  Reason why I am ranking this one in the lower end is that it is a song on the album that I am the least attached to. 

On 11/10/2020 at 8:56 PM, #jeah said:

I love this song because it sounds JUST like how a gorgeous sunset looks. It’s warm, sunny, happy and peaceful and I love all of those things! Entrancing chorus and another really sweet love song from the album. The bridge is definitely my best part, especially when she sings “But looking through your eyes looks like paradise.”

On 11/8/2020 at 11:40 AM, *Lily said:

This is probably my favorite song from the album of the same name. It evokes a lot of feelings. Especially of course with it being written about her then-husband. But it's just a song that makes you feel warm. Kacey singing "everything's gonna be alright" is enough to get me through this horror of a year.

On 11/10/2020 at 8:12 PM, ~Tom~ said:

This is another song that feels different to listen to now that Kacey has had her divorce, but as par the course with Queen Kacey it is ethereal and happy. A YouTube comment nailed it perfectly: I know this is supposed to be a love song, but I like to think of it as a self love anthem to someone battling anxiety and depression. Tea. 

9. High Horse (2018, prod. by Daniel Tashian + Ian Fitchuk + Kacey Musgraves, written by Kacey Musgraves + Trent Dabbs + Tom Schleiter)

giphy.gif

US Adult Top 40 (Billboard): #39 (Single)

US Hot Country Songs (Billboard): #36 (Single)

United States Certification (RIAA): Gold (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Horse_(Kacey_Musgraves_song)

RANKINGS:

Derek: 4

QK: 10

Nico: 18

Lily: 2

Tom: 24

Andy: 21

Megan: 10

Kaley: 14

Chris: 22

Victoria: 9

Elliott: 1

Dee: 7

Final Average = 11.83

COMMENTS

Robbed. We love Disco Kacey. 

A song serving us some disco realness a la Kylie Minogue, whom served us some country disco realness with "Dancing". Anyway, the song is super fun but it remains one of my least favourite the album & doesn't really showcase her great songwriter skills and voice, in my opinion.

On 11/10/2020 at 8:55 PM, #jeah said:

Just like pretty much all of these songs ranked low, I love this and it represents a great departure in sound for Kacey. Disco Kacey album when??? Everyone is doing it in 2020!

I'm a sucker for anything disco. Add that in with just really fun lyrics and an excellent video and it's an easy frontrunner for one of my favorite Kacey songs.

Ugh I have always thought Pageant Material was more consistent than Golden Hour and this song was one of the reasons why. Country and EDM are two of my favorite genres, but if you're going to blen them, you need to be very careful, otherwise I'm going to find the song annoying. 

8. Dime Store Cowgirl (2015, prod. by Luke Laird + Shane McAnally + Kacey Musgraves, written by Kacey Musgraves + Luke Laird + Shane McAnally)

Album: Pageant Material

Kacey_Musgraves_-_Pageant_Material_(Offi

US Hot Country Songs (Billboard): #44 (Album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dime_Store_Cowgirl

RANKINGS

Derek: 23

QK: 7

Nico: 22

Lily: 11

Tom: 4

Andy: 13

Megan: 9

Kaley: 7

Chris: 5

Victoria: 15

Elliott: 10

Dee: 4

Final Average = 10.83

COMMENTS

I really wanted this to break into the top five. Everything about this song highlights the best aspects of the country genre. Both brilliantly catchy and surprisingly heartfelt.

This is what I had to say about this song in my write-up for Kacey in the Music rankdown: "I absolutely love “Dime Store Cowgirl” which was released as the second single of the album. If there’s a song in Kacey’s discography that describes her as an artist - it is this song as it described the journey of her career as an artist since 2013. And the song remains one of my favourites of hers, partly due to its Americana sound which is felt throughout the entirety of the album".  Overall, this song is everything one expect from Kacey Musgraves as a country singer! 

A great song on the top half of the Pageant Material album which showcases her sound for this album brilliantly.

I advanced Dime Store Cowgirl because I feared it would get cut if I didn't, because it's the most traditional country-sounding song on Pageat Material, both lyric and song-wise. Such a deserving choice for a second single after the more lyrically liberal Biscuits. 

This is so much fun! Another ode to her hometown but this feels really personal. I love how Kacey narrates all these different things she’s done (probably mostly from on the road touring her first album), but pledges her forever loyalty to her hometown. This is just incredibly catchy too. Everything about this is so much fun.

7. Oh, What a World (2018, prod. by Daniel Tashian + Ian Fitchuk + Kacey Musgraves, written by Kacey Musgraves + Daniel Tashian + Ian Fitchuk)

giphy.gif

US Billboard Hot 200: #4 (Album)

US Folk Albums (Billboard): #1 (Album)

United States Album Certification (RIAA): Gold (Album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Hour_(Kacey_Musgraves_album)

RANKINGS:

Derek: 3

QK: 21

Nico: 5

Lily: 9

Tom: 1

Andy: 4 

Megan: 14

Kaley: 13

Chris: 10

Victoria: 18

Elliott: 14

Dee: 9 

Final Average = 10.08

COMMENTS

An existential, spiritual journey. Such a beautiful, beautiful song and one that transports me to another place and time.

One of the most beautiful song ever written by Kacey Musgraves - easily one of the best from "Golden Hour" especially due to the influence of other artists & genre outside of country music.

I actually think this is one of the most gorgeous love songs I’ve ever heard, haha. Basically this world is so incredible and there’s so much beauty and perfection….and then there is you. So romantic! The vocoder at the beginning and end is a really nice touch to the ethereal feel that this song has throughout. The banjo after the chorus is so beautiful. Every line is beautifully written and beautifully sung. “Oh what a world...and then there is you.” My heart can’t take it! Haha. Not much else to add but this is a perfect and nostalgic genre-bending song that definitely showcases the artistic growth Kacey has had since starting out her career.

On 11/8/2020 at 9:17 AM, NGM said:

By far the most gorgeous song in GH and I will die on that hill (even if I expect other songs to beat this). The reverb and vocoder in this are so well used, and just work to amplify the dream country vibe.

A great example of how she so excellently mixes country with a variety of great sounds, in this one almost a futuristic-style sound. And they blend together so well.

This is one of several songs from Golden Hour that are difficult to listen to now knowing that Kacey and Ruston have divorced, but it still remains one of Kacey's most beautiful and serene songs and one of my favorites from her. I also never grow tired of watching the LSD-inspired music video. 

6. Somebody to Love (2015, prod. by Luke Laird + Shane McAnally + Kacey Musgraves, written by Kacey Musgraves + Shane McAnally + Josh Osborne)

Album: Pageant Material

Kacey_Musgraves_-_Pageant_Material_(Offi

US Billboard Hot 200: #3 (Album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pageant_Material

RANKINGS:

Derek: 25

QK: 20

Nico: 9

Lily: 21

Tom: 5

Andy: 2 

Megan: 21

Kaley: 2

Chris: 3

Victoria: 6

Elliott: 5

Dee: 1

Final Average = 10.00

COMMENTS

Wow. The low rankings from Derek, Lily, and Megan really, really stung! This is easily the best track she has ever produced imo. The highlight of Pageant Material. And proof that her career will last for a very long time. This song deeply affects me on an emotional level.

Along with Dime Store Cowgirl, this is the most traditional-sounding country song on Pageant Material, which is why it's my second favortie from it! The lyrics are  not as traditional as the former, but I really love the message: 

We're all hoping, we're all hopeless, 

We're all thorns and we're all roses

We're all looking down our noses at ourselves

We're all flawed and we're all perfect

We're all lost and we're all hurting

And just searching for somebody to love

The orchestration after 2:47 also deserves a mention. Wish it could've been the lead single/title song from Pageant Material.

A really close #2, this is such an important song to me personally. Like Silver Lining, this song has sweet lyrics without the cheesiness that a track like this would normally have. Every line definitely hits me in the feels. My favorite lines here are “we’re all tens that want elevens,” “we all wrangle with religion, we all talk but we don’t listen,” “we’re all starving for attention and then we run,” “just trying to hold it all together, we all wish our best was better, just hoping that forever is really real.” So like half of the song lol. Love the strings, love her voice, love the simple message that’s worded in a way that ends up being really poignant. 

The best song from Pageant Material. Beautifully sung. Perfectly written. Just listen to the song to understand why I believe it is one of her best song ever! 

Edited by Deeee

Derek:

QK:

Nico:

Lily:

Tom:

Andy:

Megan:

Kaley:

Chris:

Victoria:

Elliott:

Dee:

Just now, Elliott said:

We were robbed of a High Horse lip sync in AS4's premiere episode, thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

The audacity of Drag Race to bring out Kacey and Ciara as guest judges on the same episode..and then give us nothing!

• Like 4

Just now, *Chris said:

Wow, imagine thinking somebody to love is the worst the song of the 25 songs presented in front of us. 🙂 

I know right? I thought it had a chance at winning. I’m listening to it now and I wish I ranked it higher. 

On the other hand, pleasantly surprised that @Deeee likes Dime Store Cowgirl! I thought it would be too country for you. :haha: 

• Like 1