Musician Discography Rankdown (Bonus Round)

FrogLenzen

FINAL STANDINGS PART THREE

15. Step Off (2013, prod. by Luke Laird + Shane McAnally + Kacey Musgraves, written by Kacey Musgraves + Luke Laird + Shane McAnally)

Album: Same Trailer Different Park

SameTrailerDifferentPark.jpg

US Billboard Hot 200: #2 (Album)

US Top Country Albums (Billboard): #1 (Album)

United States Album Certification (RIAA): Platinum (Album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same_Trailer_Different_Park

RANKINGS:

Derek: 12

QK: 18

Nico: 3

Lily: 15

Tom: 23

Andy: 15 

Megan: 15

Kaley: 6

Chris: 15

Victoria: 19

Elliott: 18

Dee: 18 

Final Average = 14.75

COMMENTS

On 11/15/2020 at 7:40 PM, *Chris said:

One of my favourite from "Same Trailer, Different Park", this song is a perfect of example of realism in Kacey's discography - you know exactly what this song is all about, and fit the theme of the first album perfectly

On 11/8/2020 at 9:17 AM, NGM said:

Where FYA is completely unironic, this is dripping in sarcasm. And I love every second of that. Again, the contrast of her warm voice and her just delivering sharp wit, humour and sarcasm delivers in spades, making a fantastic f*ck you song.

On 11/10/2020 at 8:56 PM, #jeah said:

I’ve always adored this song, I think this was one of my favorites when I first heard STDP. Another really strong lyrical turn for Kacey. Like in Miserable, we all know someone like this! Those people who just criticize everything and are always looking to cut other people down. The production of this song compliments the lyrics perfectly. Love the line “Sticks and stones may build a throne, but you’ll be up there all alone.”

14. Die Fun (2015, prod. by Luke Laird + Shane McAnally + Kacey Musgraves, written by Kacey Musgraves + Luke Laird + Shane McAnally)

Album: Pageant Material

Kacey_Musgraves_-_Pageant_Material_(Offi

US Billboard Hot 200: #3 (Album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pageant_Material

RANKINGS:

Derek: 15

QK: 14

Nico: 15

Lily: 20

Tom: 20

Andy: 10

Megan: 6

Kaley: 5

Chris: 13

Victoria: 21

Elliott: 16

Dee: 17

Final Average = 14.33

COMMENTS

My actual top 10 Kacey songs all making the final vote, iconic. ❤️ Die Fun is so underrated! From the lovely guitar, to the fresh take on a familiar message, to the lovely chord progression, this has grown to be one of my absolute favorites! Love how she sounds from start to finish. This has some of my favorite lines from any of her songs like “If we speak the language you know we don’t even have to come back” and “So what if I’m gonna stay drunk on all the years that I just wish would slow up,” and also “let’s love hard, live fast, die fun.” So wholesome!

Ranking this song at #13 surprised me as the song round-up my Top 5 of Pageant Material, unfortunately for this song I had the majority of my Top 5 from the other albums also making it so it finds itself at this spot. Anyway, I absolutely love everything about this song from the message of the song to the sound of the song.

13. Late to the Party (2015, prod. by Luke Laird + Shane McAnally + Kacey Musgraves, written by Kacey Musgraves + Josh Osborne + Brandy Clark)

RANKINGS

Derek: 16

QK: 9

Nico: 21

Lily: 19

Tom: 15

Andy: 7

Megan: 25

Kaley: 16

Chris: 7

Victoria: 3

Elliott: 17

Dee: 16

Final Average = 14.25

COMMENTS

Another one of my favorite love songs. This is one of those songs you listen to when you’re single and wish you weren’t haha. Love the story that she tells here, Kacey is such a solid storyteller and is one of the best in the business. The chorus is so sweet and summery. I would quote my favorite lines but really all of them are, I’d say the second verse sticks out the most to me. Love this song and definitely one of the clear best on Pageant Material imo.

This track was the surprise track of Pageant Material & it is one of my all-time favourite of hers - the message of the song, beautifully written with a simple melody, and her voice sounds so sharp on this song. 

12. Happy & Sad (2018, prod. by Daniel Tashian + Ian Fitchuk + Kacey Musgraves, written by Kacey Musgraves + Daniel Tashian + Ian Fitchuk)

Album: Golden Hour

Kacey_Musgraves_-_Golden_Hour.png

US Billboard Hot 200: #4 (Album)

US Folk Albums (Billboard): #1 (Album)

United States Album Certification (RIAA): Gold (Album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Hour_(Kacey_Musgraves_album)

RANKINGS:

Derek: 10

QK: 15

Nico: 14

Lily: 8

Tom: 10

Andy: 6 

Megan: 5

Kaley: 21

Chris: 16

Victoria: 22

Elliott: 11

Dee: 10 

Final Average = 12.33

COMMENTS

This song makes me cry my eyes out and deserved top 10. LOL.

On 11/8/2020 at 11:40 AM, *Lily said:

The relatability of this song... far too much! As someone who has a tendency to have a glass half-empty outlook I feel like I return to this song a lot, lol.

On 11/10/2020 at 8:12 PM, ~Tom~ said:

Yet another song that is different to listen to after Kacey's divorce. It's like she saw it coming with the lyrics: what goes up must come down and I start hiding because I know rain is coming my way. It's still as ethereal and pretty as most all the other songs on Golden Hour.

Ugh I wish I could have like a 6-way tie for number one lol because I just love this one so much. It was an instant favorite of mine from Golden Hour and has held up so well over the last couple of years. These lyrics are so relatable, yet again. “I’m comfortable when the sky is grey” and “You’ve got me smiling with tears in my eyes” and “Cause I don’t wanna wake up when they’re turning the lights on, and it turns out the joke’s on me.” I’ve been there so many times! The chorus here is amazing and so fun to sing along to. And like Space Cowboy, this has an absolutely epic key change at the end of the song that elevates the whole thing even more. Seeing this live was such an incredible moment for me. I wish this could be in my top 5 and hope to see it ranked decently.

While it is one of the song that took a while to grow on me, it is one of the standout from "Golden Hour". As well, I find this is a song that we can all relate to after the year we all been experiencing. Anyway, this song deserves more recognition & it pains me to rank it at #16 as I absolutely love it - this is another testament how this round has been difficult on me, as a Kacey stan. 

11. Pageant Material (2015, prod. by Luke Laird + Shane McAnally + Kacey Musgraves, written by Kacey Musgraves + Shane McAnally + Luke Laird)

RANKINGS:

Derek: 17

QK: 16

Nico: 4

Lily: 14

Tom: 9

Andy: 5 

Megan: 17

Kaley: 24

Chris: 8

Victoria: 11

Elliott: 9

Dee: 14

Final Average = 12.33

COMMENTS

On 11/8/2020 at 9:17 AM, NGM said:

Another song I considered putting at #1, I personally think this is the best song of PM, and one of the few songs that can match (but not quite surpass) the social commentary that STDP leveled at country music/middle America. And it has better instrumentation than anything in her first album so like, best of both worlds.

Whew, I was getting so nervous at the end there that Pageant Material wouldn’t make the final vote and I started regretting not advancing it. This is an iconic song and is easily one of her best.. A fun ride from start to finish! Endlessly quotable lyrics! Favorite lines are “God bless the girls who smile and hug as they’re called out as a runner up on TV” and “The only crown is in me glass, they won’t be handing me a sash.” Love the upbeat music here but my favorite part is actually the instrumental bridge and outro. They’re just so much fun! I honestly listen to this song on repeat a lot, lol.

The title track of her sophomore album never disappoints - this song is exactly what expect with Kacey as a singer-songwriter. With a traditional country sound & clever writing, this song remains one of my favourite from Pageant Material - I will be honest that this is the kind of song that was missing from "Golden Hour" in my opinion.  

Edited by Deeee

TOP TEN

SAME TRAILER DIFFERENT PARK

Merry Go Round

Follow Your Arrow

PAGEANT MATERIAL

Dime Store Cowgirl

Somebody to Love

GOLDEN HOUR

Slow Burn

Oh, What a World

Space Cowboy