The Purge: Anarchy
The Addams Family
Insidious Chapter 3
The Neon Demon
The First Purge
Velvet Buzzsaw

THE PURGE

survive the night GIF by THE PURGE: ANARCHY

How have there been four Purge movies and nobody has thought of the fact that you have 24 hours to grab as much sh*t from Target as you want??? I mean honestly. Anyway, while I hate all four Purge movies, the first one is somehow the worst, so that’s what I went with cutting. The plot is basically that all crime is legal for 24 hours and some child who can’t listen to her parents let’s in a stranger who is being chased by people. Naturally that group then terrorizes the family. Ethan Hawke was in it, and it did well because people were clearly thinking it would be as good as Sinister was until the final ten minutes.

SAVE: Final Destination 5

11 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

There's nothing here I care to save, so I'll wait to make my cut so I don't unintentionally eliminate a favorite film of one of the horror fans.

+1

i think I’ve seen zero of these movies :haha: 

28 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

There's nothing here I care to save, so I'll wait to make my cut so I don't unintentionally eliminate a favorite film of one of the horror fans.

Same. 

tenor.gif?itemid=11663366

The Meg

I'm saving Overlord because I will have a chance to save all The Purge movies in the horror rankdown (until whomstever is next nominates them in revenge for me which I feel is probably going to come). And also because Overlord is a better movie objectively than The Purge movies even if we are definitely going to descend into the Purge imminently. I feel it. And even if you all follow Elliott's terrible advice to cut The Purge movies nothing is stopping me from watching that financially successful series which launched a television show. How many other horror series can say that! Anyway, This is about THE MEG. Unfortunately, despite having a FANTASTIC name, The Meg is not very good! It's, as you may be able to tell from the title gif, yet another villainous shark movie. Anyway, The Meg is neither terribly bad or good but at worst it's just not very memorable. And a bland movie is a bigger sin than an awful but memorable movie in most of these rankdowns so out it goes.

Saving: Overlord.

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2020 at 6:45 PM, *Chris said:

6365719_preview.png

tumblr_oiajefCMdX1v100b4o2_500.gif

The movie grossed $87.2 million in North America while grossing a total of $295.1 million worldwide - the success was seen as a mediocre start due to the budget of the movie. And the response to the movie was mixed - Tim Burton was praised for its work while the storyline was criticized for being too complex. As I've never seen the movie, it seems to be a very typical Tim Burton's movie and the visual seems to be nice - I'm not sure if I would ever watch it. Has anyone seen it or a fan of the movie? 

I'm a fan of this book series. ❤️ I enjoyed the movie, but remember thinking they changed too much for my liking. I would have liked to see them adapt some of the sequels, but oh well.  I still recommend the books. 

The Shallows

54358212.jpg

I was going to save one of the Purge movies, but I still despise them. I will just avoid cutting them instead. There are plenty of indifferent rankers this round. They will still most likely be saved. Damn. This movie made a killing at the Box Office. It's budget was about 25 million and it made over 120 million. That is impressive. Good for this movie! Was it enough to make me  change my mind about cutting it? Absolutely not. Seems like a fairly straightforward plot. A girl is surfing. A shark attacks. She becomes stranded. Both people trying to help her and jerks end up being shark food. She eventually gets free and lives. Her living is honestly a little shocking. Some horror movies prefer to have as miserable ending as possible. I will choose slasher movies with their final girl over that any time. 

Blake Lively carries this film. Giving the mostly positive comments. She must have done a good job. 

Saving Ma 

Edited by aliasocfan

The Addams Family (2019 dir. by Conrad Vernon + Greg Tiernan)

giphy.gif

The Addams Family is one of my favorite franchises ever. This film though? Yeah, no thank you. 

The voice cast? Iconic.

Oscar Isaac as Gomez Addams

Charlize Theron as Morticia Addams

Chloë Grace Moretz as Wednesday Addams

Finn Wolfhard as Pugsley Addams

Nick Kroll as Uncle Fester

Bette Midler as Grandmama Addams

Snoop Dogg as Cousin Itt

Allison Janney as Margaux Needler

Martin Short as Grandpa Frump

Catherine O'Hara as Grandma Frump

Tituss Burgess as Glenn

Jenifer Lewis as Great Auntie Sloom

Elsie Fisher as Parker Needler

Aimee Garcia as Denise

That is a solid, solid voice acting cast.

The animation is gorgeous.

So what is wrong with the film? Everything else. 

The Addams Family is dark, macabre, spooky. This film? Not dark. Not macabre. Not spooky. In fact, this film is the opposite. It's actually too sweet, too light-hearted, too saccharine. There is really no good reason to watch this film, unless you have kids of course. But the film is a disappointment to anybody looking for authentic Addams Family content.

However, the film was a massive box office success. $203 million dollar revenue on the $24 million budget. So successful that a sequel with the same directors is already in the works!

SAVING: V/H/S