Minions (2015)
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (2016)**
Nanny McPhee Returns (2010)
Riddick (2013)
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011)
Sausage Party (2016)
Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)**
Ted (2012)
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)
The Host (2013)
What Men Want (2019)**

** Currently claimed

Downsizing

downsizing-poster0.jpg?itok=OpfW56D3

Even when I had Movie Pass, I did not waste time seeing this movie. Which is honestly impressive, I wasted way too much time seeing terrible movies. (Too bad I do not really remember them. That would very much help with some of these write ups) 

So apparently, this movie is about physically making yourself smaller to save money and somehow help the environment. Seems like a cute enough concept. Too bad the idea of all types of animals seems absolutely terrifying. Snakes, spiders, dogs, gnats, flies... all absolutely horrifying. That sounds like the premise of a probably better horror movie. 

On a completely different note, this movie absolutely bombed at box office. What a shame. If you are going to have a strong political message, you should advertise that. People don't like being surprised. 

Saving Alita: Battle Angel 

alita battle angel punch GIF

Edited by aliasocfan

What Men Want (2019)

giphy.gif

My first takeaway from these nominations was that since when is What Men Want a fantasy film? :dead: I mean it had a fantasy aspect to it with the premise of her being able to read the minds of men. I guess. It's a stretch but I'm sure it was on one of the list Alex provided us. I'm only upset because Steven took one of my choices to nominate for the romance category. :haha: Oh, well. What Men Want is a 2019 American romantic comedy (and apparently fantasy) film directed by Adam Shankman and starring Taraji P. Henson, Aldis Hodge, Josh Brener, Erykah Badu, Richard Roundtree and Tracy Morgan. The film reminded me of What Women Want which starred Mel Gibson and Helen Hunt. That movie was released in 2000 and is apparently a loose remake of that film. Makes sense. Same premise just with the genders being reversed. The movie follows a career woman named Alison "Ali" Davis who drinks a concoction given to her by a shaman and with that she is able to hear the thoughts of men. The film was released by Paramount Pictures and BET Films. It grossed over $72 million worldwide. It received mixed reviews and score of %43 on RT. It's a cute movie and I saw it in theaters but it's a good cut at this point. Good Boys outsold.

The Host (2013 dir. by Andrew Niccol)

source.gif

The Host is genuinely one of the worst films that I have ever watched. Stephanie Meyer novels are bad and the film adaptations are even worse!!!

The Host is a romantic, science fiction, thriller film that is adapted from the 2008 Stephanie Meyer novel of the same name. This film is just riding the coattails of the massive Twilight fandom that had just recently come to an end, so of course people were looking for the next big cash cow. Except The Host turned out to be a massive disappointment. The film only earned $63.3 million on a $40 million budget, which was most definitely an underperformance. The film did not even reach the top of the box office, peaking at sixth!

Critically, the film was widely panned by everybody. 9% on RT. 35/100 on Metacritic. Critics called the film out for a terrible script, and most of them recognize that the film was unintentionally hilarious. My biggest complaint was that the movie was so bad, all you could do was laugh. And I don't think you are ever supposed to laugh at this film? Extremely typical and trite teen-romance bullish*t with terrible acting from everybody involved. A stale movie that is extremely difficult to watch. The movie looks cheap, lacks intelligence. The film was doomed from the start because even the source material sucks.

Maybe you guys want to know what the plot is. The human race has been taken over by small parasitic aliens called "Souls." They travel to different planets and enter the bodies of the dominant species of the planet. When they take over a host, they suppress the consciousness of the host. The Souls are still capable of accessing host memories though. When they come to Earth, they deem humans to violent to deserve the planet. The Souls almost entirely suppress and erase the consciousness of the entire human race, until a problem occurs. The Souls kidnap Melanie, portrayed by Saoirse Ronan, and fuse her with a Soul named "Wanderer." Except Melanie fights with Wanderer for control of her body.

That means the entire 125 minutes is spent watching Melanie fight with...herself...in her own head. The film just does not work whatsoever. Happy to finally eliminate this movie.

SAVING: Happy Death Day 2U

6365719_preview.png

tumblr_oiajefCMdX1v100b4o2_500.gif

Directed by Tim Burton and released in 2016, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is a fantasy film that is inspired by the novel from the same name. It stars Eva Green in the role of Miss Alma Peregrine while Terence Stamp portrays Abe Portman and Judi Dench portrays Miss Esmeralda Avocet. Other individuals appearing in the movie are Asa Butterfield as Jake Portman, Ella Purnell as Emma Bloom, Samuel L. Jackson as Mr. Barron, Allison Janney as Dr. Nancy Golan, and Chris O'Dowd as Franklin Portman. 

As the movie starts, we are introduced to Jake Portman who finds his grandfather, Abe, dying - he tells him to go the loop of September, 1943. The year of 1943 is key to the storyline of the movie as Jake found himself hearing stories from his grandfather's childhood where he was battling monsters and living in a home located on a island Wales - the house that he lived in, the headmistress known as Miss Alama Peregrines has paranormal abilities. Shortly after the passing of his grandfather, Jake finds himself going to Wales where he goes to investigate the children's home with his father - the house is no longer there but they find children who bring them through a portal and they are now in the year of 1943. And this is where the storyline picks-up: Jake is greeted by Miss Peregrine who tells him that she can manipulate time as a way to avoid persecution. Throughout the movie, Jake meets other children to only find out that he is a peculiar who can see invisible monsters - it seems that Jake returns to 2016 to find that someone has been killed, and he returns to the cave to warn his friends to only be stuck in 1943.  Will Jake, Miss Peregrine, and the other peculiar remain in 1943 for eternity? 

The movie grossed $87.2 million in North America while grossing a total of $295.1 million worldwide - the success was seen as a mediocre start due to the budget of the movie. And the response to the movie was mixed - Tim Burton was praised for its work while the storyline was criticized for being too complex. As I've never seen the movie, it seems to be a very typical Tim Burton's movie and the visual seems to be nice - I'm not sure if I would ever watch it. Has anyone seen it or a fan of the movie? 

SAVING: ABOUT TIME

2 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

I figured any movie with a fantasy element was fair game. 🤷‍♂️

It was probably on a list Alex gave out and it does have a fantasy element so I'm not complaining. I just don't automatically think fantasy when thinking of that film. Not that I spend much time thinking about it at all. :dead: