Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Stronger (2017 dir. by David Gordon Green)

02e6d77cf129c12be0a2961a871c08bb.gif

About time. How many times have I nominated this bland movie? Only for it to be saved repeatedly because of the thirst for Jake Gyllenhaal! 

Listen. The film is okay. Nothing special. Gyllenhaal has been in far better films. Tatiana Maslany deserves to act in movies that allow her to shine like she does in Orphan Black. Stronger also missed an amazing opportunity to be a film that actually stars an actor with a disability! There are people out there that are not Jake Gyllenhaal that could have served the same purpose, but with far more poignancy because you know...of lived experiences. LOL. But instead we get a fine performance from Jake Gyllenhaal. It did not move me whatsoever. 

This film is based on the memoir of the same name written by Jeff Bauman and Bret Witter. The story follows Bauman after the events of the Boston Marathon bombing, which resulted in the loss of both of his legs. The movie also follows Bauman as he tries to adjust to his new life. The movie was produced by Gyllenhaal + others with a screenplay by John Pollono. The film also stars Miranda Richardson, Clancy Brown, Lenny Clarke, Frankie Shaw, Jimmy LeBlanc, Jessica Lundy, and Carlos Sanz. 

The film released to positive reviews, but was a major box office bomb. A film that lasted way too long in this game finally goes. Thank goodness.

SAVING: Beasts of the Southern Wild

2 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

a very good superhero movie and a movie about women of color stripping and conning white men. Dee. you know the people in this rankdown better.

I know I know. I guess I auto-assumed Elliott would save Endgame and you would save Hustlers. So this decision became much more difficult for me when I realized that you guys had not. lol.

Just now, aliasocfan said:

I like them about equally, so this is awkward. 

I vote to save Hustlers. Sucks to lose Endgame, but I feel like Chris is going to continue to come for it. Plus, Hustlers is a movie featuring women of color prominently. Def a crappy decision to make.

Hustlers

giphy.gif

This cut is awkward because I really do like both films. I went with what the first person who reached out to me requested. Like @totes4totes mentioned Hustlers is about women of color stripping and conning white men. It may sound like a bad premise, but what is better than rich white men getting conned by women of color? It's what they deserve. Hustlers was released in 2019 and is an American crime drama film but with strippers involved. Bad-ass strippers who trick the man! The film is written and directed by Lorene Scafaria. The film has a star-studded cast including Constance Wu, Jennifer Lopez, Julia Stiles, Keke Palmer, Lili Reinhart, Lizzo, and Cardi B. Jennifer gives one of her best performances to date and even garnered a Golden Globe nomination. There was Oscar buzz surrounding her portrayal but that quickly fizzled. These strippers live in New York City and together they begin to steal their money by drugging stock traders and CEOs who visit their club, then running up their credit cards. Then they got way too greedy and set themselves up for failure. The film grossed $157.6 million worldwide and received positive reviews from critics, with Jennifer Lopez's performance earning praise. The film has a score of 87% on RT and is probably the closest J-Lo will ever come to an Oscar. Not my ideal chose to cut but it is what is is.

On a completely unrelated note, when I saw this in theaters, a man slept through most of the movie. Unfortunately for him, he was snoring. Quite loudly. Poor guy. The people in the theater had some fun at his expense. 

Save: Avengers: Endgame