Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

How-To-Lose-A-Guy-In-10-Days-PNG-1.png

abfaaeb50f015f5d2b5d211823a0bbca.gif

How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days? After this rankdown, it should be renamed as How To Get A Movie Without Nominating It More Than 5 Times!  As you all know, this movie been on my radar for a while now - it is one of , if not, the weakest romantic comedy left in this rankdown.  If you have been living under a rock and don't know about this movie, here's some information for you : It was released in 2003 and it features Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey at a time where he was a go-to for a lot of romantic comedies.  The plot of the movie is that Matthew McConaughey's character is convinced that he can make any woman fall in with him while Kate Hudson's character is on a mission to try and proof that she can get lead her boyfriend to dump her. In an ~*original*~ plot twist, they are each other romantic interest! *gasp*... How will they be able to accomplish their mission? Who will manage to succeed? They essentially trying to sabotage each other - they both prove their point but in another ~*original*~ plot twist, she admits that it was the best person she has ever fallen for, and they reunite & admit each other's true feelings for one and another. Honestly, you've seen this movie once and that's enough - I've seen it a few years ago but haven't ever seen it ever since.  And like other romantic comedies, it did good at box office because romantic comedies sell but the critics were mixed on the film, and their score on RT isn't one of the strongest - probably near the bottom of the movies remaining.  Apologies to Steven as I know he has been saving this movie time and time, but I don't think that me cutting is surprising as I've been nominating almost every time I was able to nominate it :haha: 

SAVING : HAIRSPRAY

• Sad 1

THE BLIND SIDE

ugh how has this movie made it this far? 😐 Well I know why, because y'all be counted on to make good choices... The fact that this movie outlasted *looks at front page* well, I'm not gonna name every movie this one robbed because there's too many 🙂

The Blind Side was released in 2009, and is a white saviour movie biographical sports drama that was based on a book of the same name by Michael Lewis. The movie is a dramatized retelling of Michael Oher, an impoverished foster who is adopted by Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy. In the film, Quentin Aaron stars as Oher, while Sandra Bullock plays his adoptive mother and Tim McGraw (!?) plays his adoptive father. Naturally the film was a commercial success, grossing way too much money $309 million against its $29 million budget. While Sandra Bullock's performance earned critical praise, the film received a polarizing response - particularly in regards to its portrayal of race relations. The real-life Michael Oher was also critical of the film, adding that he felt it made him appear to be dumb rather than just simply not having the means to a proper education in his youth.

SAVE: The Butterfly Effect

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Cars

Honestly it's about time we lose a Pixar film or two, and the Cars franchise is one that has just never appealed to me (considering it's sports-comedy, are y'all surprised?). It's been saved by other rankers, but I feel it's default save when I nominate duds, so hopefully no one is too upset by this. 

Cars is a American computer-animated sports comedy film produced by Pixar Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures released in 2006. It was directed by John Lasseter from a screenplay written by Dan Fogelman, Lasseter, and some others, as well as a story by Lasseterand a couple others. It was the final film independently produced by Pixar after Disney acquired it in January 2006. Cars is set in a world comprised of talking cars and involves talented and arrogant hotshot amateur Lightning McQueen who gets stranded in a run down town on the way to his biggest race ever. When befrending the residents he learns that friendship and family is important and his reflective monologue is good, but the whole premise of talking cars I just never really cared for.

Save Ajami, because it's on my watchlist 

Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones was released in 2002. It was success with the audience and the media. Rotten Tomatoes gives this film a 65 percent so sort of average? I don't know I am not a Star Wars person at all and have nominated this film before but it was always saved so like Chris I will just cut the film while I have the chance.  The movie stars Hayden Christensen, Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Rose Bryne and Christopher Lee. The film grossed an expressive 653.8 million in the US alone so not denying it was successful, just not my thing.

Saving:The Visitor

The Reader (2008)

Reader ver2.jpg

Kate Winslet and Ralph Fiennes. Kate got her Best Actress Oscar for this one. Also nominated for Best Picture. This is heavy. Ralph plays a German who gets involved with an older woman, who he later learns was part of the Nazi regime. She was a guard as part of death marches in Poland. She is charged at a trial with some other guards and the allegations are heinous. But it turns out that she has another secret that may help her in the trial. So the movie is trying to paint this Nazi woman as slightly sympathetic. There are some bits in this movie that were also called Holocaust revisionist. So that's not cute. But Kate did a good job acting it I guess lol

Save: 40 Year Old Virgin

GARDEN STATE (2004)

MV5BMjc5MDE0NjkxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzA0NTkyMw@@._V1_.jpg

Garden State is a romantic dramedy written, directed, and starring Zach Braff. The film is about a 26-year-old waiter named Andrew who returns to his hometown after his mother's death. He faces his past and also meets a girl named Sam he forms a connection with. Andrew is a medicated man who has not experienced any emotions, and Sam is an epileptic and a compulsive liar. Sam is played by Natalie Portman, and this character is often used as an example of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope. Sam's only role in the film is to drive Andrew's story forward. Sam is what inspires Andrew and makes him a better person. By the end of the film, they become a couple. Garden State is a movie I have heard of, but I have never been interested enough to seek it out to watch it. As for what the critics thought, Garden State has an 86% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "Delivering a quirky spin on familiar twentysomething tropes -- with a cannily-placed soundtrack -- Garden State has enough charm to mark a winning debut for first-time director Zach Braff." Garden State also won a Grammy Award for Best Compilation Soundtrack Album for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media. 

Saving Gran Torino.

main-qimg-bdc45c2de0001b9d119a79ef94600dd2