Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

The Phantom of the Opera

Poto2.jpg

After being nominated a couple of times before by yours truly, it's time to say adieu to this film. The Phantom of the Opera is a 2004 musical film based on Andrew Lloyd Webber's 1986 musical of the same name. It is itself based on the 1910 French novel Le Fantôme de l'Opéra by Gaston Leroux. It stars Gerard Butler as the Phantom and Emmy Rossum in the role of Christine Baae. The film details the Phantom's haunting of a theater in Paris and of Christine. What this film has going for it is its beautiful soundtrack, which was its highlight for me. Unfortunately, I found the film to be slow and boring, and the Phantom just was not scary, with only a small facial disfigurement on the side of his face. "Think of Me" is beautiful, but the pacing was off, and the critics agreed seeing it has a 33% rating on RT. There are better musical-based movies in this rankdown so out it goes.

Saving: Charlie Wilson's War

Edited by ~Tom~
  • Sad 1

THE LOVELY BONES (2009)

MV5BMjAwNDA1MTM2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzg3NDcwMw@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Based on the 2002 novel of the same name, The Lovely Bones is about a fourteen-year-old girl named Susie (played by Saoirse Ronan) who is murdered and watches over her family in the "in-between." She is torn whether to seek revenge or to allow her family to heal. I've heard of The Lovely Bones before, but I've never read the book or watched the movie. After reading the plot summary on Wikipedia, I don't think I would've liked this film due to the ending. Spoiler alert, but the killer gets away with the murder. Even though he's a suspect, they can't manage to arrest him before he flees. The film does end with the killer accidentally dying after getting struck by an icicle and falling over a cliff. Nonetheless, it's still annoying Susie's family wasn't able to bring her killer to justice. Anyway, this film was panned by the critics. The Lovely Bones has a 32% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "It's stuffed full of Peter Jackson's typically dazzling imagery, but The Lovely Bones suffers from abrupt shifts between horrific violence and cloying sentimentality."

Saving The Polar Express.

this-is-the-polar-express-snow.gif

Edited by Steven_

2 hours ago, ~Tom~ said:

@Elliott is sad reacting to a cut of a musical?

It was a sad react for both Emmy Rossum’s music career going nowhere and that you cut the source of one of the pettiest moments in European symphonic industrial metal music history.

Edited by Elliott

Ocean's Twelve

You know those films where they cast so many big a list actors and actresses that it distracts you from the fact it is sort of a terrible movie all together if you take away said actors and actresses? Yeah we all know of them and I'd argue Ocean's Twelve would be on the top of that list. Is that a unpopular opinion? I have no idea but for a film with actors such as George Clooney, Catherine Zeta Jones, Julia Roberts, Matt Daman and Brad Pitt it still only gets a 53 percent on rotten tomates and just was poorly put together. It made millions but it wasn't my cup of tea 

Saving Dan in Real Life

BEAUFORT

Released in 2007, Beaufort is a film about an Israel Defence Force unit stationed at the Beaufort post in South Lebanon during the South Lebanon conflict in the Israeli war. Joseph Cedar directed the film that he co-wrote with Ron Leshem, who was the original book's author. The film takes place in the year 2000, which was the year that the IDF withdrew from the Israel Security Zone. Joseph Cedar himself was an IDF veteran who was in Lebanon during the war, so his direction gave the feel a realistic feel. The film was shot in the spring of 2006 in Lebanon, eventually finishing in June - just a month before the second Lebanon war broke out.

SAVE: Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven's Noms Next)

Whip It

Whip_It_(2009_film)_poster.jpg

Whip It is a 2009 American sports comedy film directed by Drew Barrymore (not a sports film fan and not a fan of a whole lot of comedies). It was the first film she directed and the screenplay was written by Shauna Cross; it was based on her 2007 novel Derby Girl. Drew Barrymore co-produced the film with Barry Mendel. It stars Elliot Page as a Bliss Cavendar, a teenager from the fictional town of Bodeen, Texas, who joins a roller derby team after losing interest in the beauty pageants her mother forces her to compete in. Bliss lies about her age and tries out for the Hurl Scouts, who give her the derby name "Babe Ruthless" and they go on to lose most of ther matches but take consolation by shouting: "We're number two!" In addition to Elliot, Whip It features Alia Shawkat, Marcia Gay Harden, Daniel Stern, Carlo Alban, Landon Pigg (didn't know he did any acting), Jimmy Fallon, Kristen Wiig, Zoë Bell, Eve, Andrew Wilson, Juliette Lewis, and Ari Graynor. This film sounds like it would appeal to me the least out of the nominees due to genre alone so out it goes.

Save: The Good Shepherd

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven's Noms Posted)

Pearl Harbor (2001)

Pearl harbor movie poster.jpg

Take an epic historic disaster, add a star-crossed romance to it, and you should have a recipe for a great blockbuster movie, right?? I mean, that's what Titanic did, right??? That's probably the extent of the analysis that Michael Bay did before directing this film. This film is the second worst thing associated with Pearl Harbor. For those who don't pay attention in history class, Pearl Harbor is located in Hawaii and was frequently used by the US Navy and there was a surprise attack by the Japanese during World War II which is what finally caused the US to officially enter WWII rather than watch on the sidelines. All of that political drama, but surely you'd rather watch Ben Affleck and Josh Hartnett fight over Kate Beckinsale or whatever. Ebert said: "Pearl Harbor is a two-hour movie squeezed into three hours, about how, on Dec. 7, 1941, the Japanese staged a surprise attack on an American love triangle. Its centerpiece is 40 minutes of redundant special effects, surrounded by a love story of stunning banality." lmao the critics went hard on this one, look up some reviews if you'd like a chuckle

Save Butterfly Effect

House of 1000 Corpses

A horror film with 20 percent on rotten tomatoes? 1.5/5 stars well I guess that makes my choice easy. The film was released in 2003 and wasn't any good at all based on reviews like it was bad bad so I think this is a fairly fair cut at this point in our game. According to wiki "House of 1000 Corpses" is a film about a twisted family who add bodies to their sick list of murders. Not something I would ever watch in one million years and it seems even people who did actually watch it actually hated it anyway

Saving The Duchess

• Sad 1

Jarhead (2005)

Jarhead.jpg

A biographical film based on a memoir about a war in a desert. Not for me. Unfortunately for other fans, gifs of Jake Gyllenhaal are not enough to convince me to keep this around. Can you believe that this movie spawned direct-to-video sequels??? Jarhead 2, Jarhead 3, and Jarhead: Law of Return. I'm assuming that Jake wasn't involved in those, but I'm not going to confirm. Can you imagine you get your big break and it's Jarhead 3??? Like what. The sequels are not based on true stories anymore, so I guess they are irrelevant in the end. This particular war movie is about the Gulf War in the early 90s. You know, Operation Desert Shield and Operation Desert Storm. That war was started when Iraq invaded Kuwait and the US tried to fight Iraq to stop it. The original George Bush, oil, the middle east... it's a mess that I'm glad I was too young to have to hear about constantly. Oh, the movie. It got lukewarm reviews

Save Planet Terror

Equilibrium

equilibrium.jpg

Both films seem utterly boring to me. Saved the more acclaimed one. Equilibrium is a 2002 sci fi film with Christian Bale, Emily Watson, and Taye Diggs. It's a dystopian film where a totalitarian regime drugs everyone and enforces that any show of emotion is punishable by death. A man who is in charge of enforcing these laws decides to overthrow the system. The trailer seemed really cheesy to me if I'm being honest. Sci fi needs to be really groundbreaking for me to be intrigued, and reviews seem to imply this is just a mishmash of various sci fi themes that have been explored to death. Ebert didn't hate it and give it 3/4 stars which is kind of intriguing. This seems like one of those movies that is playing on TNT on tv at like 3 in the morning. If I'm ever up at that hour and catch it, I'll let you know what I actually think.

Save Pitch Black

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Tom's Noms Next)