Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

Motorcycle Diaries

Well Chris was originally going to cut this movie before changing his mind so I figured I'd make the cut myself considering I was really only interested in saving She's The Man fairly quickly. The Motorcycle Diaries was released in 2004 and is a biopic film about the journey of 23-year-old Ernesto Guevara, who would several years later become internationally known as the Marxist guerrilla leader and revolutionary leader Che Guevara. It recounts his life and journey to that point based on his written memoir. The film has pretty good reviews online getting a decent 83 percent on rotten tomates and a 7.5 on Google reviews. 

Saving: She's the Man

malena-5242b6e78dd13.png

f8343a8d4ea141e28fd2108b087750e5.gif

Released in 2000, Malèna is an erotic comedy-drama film that was directed by Giuseppe Tornatore - it was originally released in 2000 in its origin country, Italy, but would find a wider release in 2010 following its success at multiple film festivals. The movie features Monica Bellucci and Giuseppe Sulfaro - I am familiar with Monica's work due to appearing in other films, but I have never heard of this one. The story of the film is the following : It takes place in Sicily where it follows the life of a young boy whom experienced life under Mussolini during the WWII.  He meet an Italian woman who is seen as the prettiest woman in the town, whose husband is fighting in the war, and he becomes obsessed with her and she must deal with many rumors following the passing of her husband - she was certainly the talk of the town for her beauty. In other words, it follows the impact of WWII on their life and I am actually intrigued as to how this movie could be seen as a comedy with the subject discussed.  It seems that it was met with mixed reviews - reading the critics, I am unsure if I would ever watch this movie. 

SAVING: CHILDREN OF MEN

Edited by *Chris
  • Like 1

Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (2004)

Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen film poster.png

Megan Fox's first movie. LiLo plays Lola, who wants to be a staaaaaar. She's from NYC but her parents move her to the suburbs and our story begins. Apparently Hilary Duff was going to be the lead but she changed her mind? Oh, this is a Disney movie. That makes sense. This movie is based on a teen novel. Unfortunately, the novel got much better reviews than the movie. Critics said it seemed like a DCOM that was transitioned into a full theater release because of the lead actress. This one never did anything for me. We have much more superior teen comedies and a superior Lohan movie still in the game

Save Cars

• Sad 1

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Tom's Noms Posted)

RAY (2004)

MV5BMTQxNDQwNjQzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTQxNDYyMQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Ray is a biopic starring Jamie Foxx as music legend Ray Charles, the artist who pioneered soul music. The film focuses on thirty years of his life, including the tragic death of his brother and when he lost his eyesight as a kid. He manages to overcome his hardships and achieve success as a musician. Along with his music success, the film also includes his struggles with drug addiction and infidelity while touring. The film is based on true events, although certain aspects were fictionalized for dramatic purposes. Jamie's Foxx's performance was widely praised. Foxx agreed to have his eyelids glued shut during filming to give a performance he thought would seem more authentic. Foxx became the second actor to win all five major acting awards for one performance. He won Best Actor at the Academy Awards, Golden Globes, BAFTA, Screen Actors Guild Awards, and Critics' Choice Awards. As for the film itself, Ray has a 79% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "An engrossing and energetic portrait of a great musician's achievements and foibles, Ray is anchored by Jamie Foxx's stunning performance as Ray Charles."

Saving The Mummy Returns.

the-mummy.gif

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Released in 2006, For Your Consideration is a comedy film that was directed by Christopher Guest. He wrote the screenplay for the film alongside Eugene Levy, and the two of them additionally star in the film alongside Catherine O'Hara, Parker Posey, Harry Shearer, Michael McKean, Fred Willard, Larry Miller, Bob Balaban, Jennifer Coolidge, Jane Lynch, Ed Begley Jr., Michael Hitchcock, John Michael Higgins and Jim Piddock. In addition to that star studded cast, the film also features cameos from Ricky Gervais, Paul Dooley, John Krasinski, Richard King, Scott Adsit and Sandra Ohmake. For Your Consideration follows a group of three actors who learn that their performances in an upcoming fictional film sat in the 1940s American South is gathering awards season buzz, and what ensues as a result of that. The film's dialogue was apparently largely improved by the cast. The film has received a 52% at Rotten Tomatoes and Catherine O'Hara won an award for her performance.

18 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

I just wanted to update @Alex95 that I’m okay with whoever replaced me to remain my replacement for the remainder of the rankdown. :yes: 

I’m still going through my anxiety/panic disorders so I don’t want to slow this down by trying to return. :haha:

Hope you're doing well! I wasn't gonna swap you back in since Tom has already done so many noms and cuts, but if you did want back in I would've just added an extra ranker, which I'm sure everyone would've appreciated to speed things up lol. But I completely understand you wanting to sit out!

Cycle 13 - Powerless

e2fc233876c15c50ddce745319d510d0.jpg

In Disney's Hercules, the titular character loses all his power after making a deal with Hades. In this round, you all have lost the power to nominate. It's the dreaded one-two punch of random noms followed by public noms. The first round, all the nominations will be determined via the randomizer. For the second round, all the nominations will be determined by the public (and me :devilwave:). Nothing is immune except for films nominated in the previous round. Good luck to your faves!

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Cycle 13 Posted)
5 hours ago, Alex95 said:

Hope you're doing well! I wasn't gonna swap you back in since Tom has already done so many noms and cuts, but if you did want back in I would've just added an extra ranker, which I'm sure everyone would've appreciated to speed things up lol. But I completely understand you wanting to sit out!

Thank you for even considering that option and having me as a ranker when you did. 🫂

Thanks @~Tom~ for replacing me when I couldn’t fulfill my duties. ❤️

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Random Noms Posted)