Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

The Crime of Padro Amaro (2002)

ElCrimendelPadre.jpg

My boy Gael Garcia Bernal is here, but that's not enough to save him over a Pedro Almodovar film. Gael is a young priest who gets assigned to a town in Mexico. The local, older priest in the town has an ongoing affair with one of the local women. Uh oh, the daughter of the mistress and the older priest is now 16 years old! UH OH GAEL THINKS SHE'S SEXY! What will happen if the young priest starts an affair with the young daughter of the old priest??? Certainly nothing good. And if something does happens I'm sure there are not a lot of abortion resources in a strong Catholic town in Mexico. This movie caused ~*controversy*~ with Catholics, which brings me joy as someone who was raised Catholic. But that doesn't have to mean I would enjoy the movie.

Save Volver

Vera Drake

MV5-BNTMy-NTM3-NDEx-MV5-BMl5-Ban-Bn-Xk-F

I guesd will cut Vera Drake. I had limited options to chose from so I had to cut the film I cared least about from the four I could chose from which unfortunately means Vera Drake is the next to go. It has a great cast in the film and received a impressive 92 percent on rotten tomates. The movie was released in 2004. It has the incredible Imelda Staunton who you just love to hate because she is so so good lol. Anyway she did great in this movie too. I am a bit sad go cut this film because it was fanatic. 

Saving: The Blind Side

Edited by *Diana
  • Sad 1

Still Walking

Still_Walking_(film)_POSTER.png

I guess this was the film I thought was Still Waiting? Well it looks like a better film than a sequel to Waiting; Still Walking is a Japanese film edited, written, and directed by Hirokazu Kore-eda and released in 2008. The film is a portrayal of a family over roughly 24 hours as they commemorate the death of the eldest son, Junpei. He accidentally drowned 12 years ago while saving the life of another boy. The participants Junpei's father Kyohei, a retired doctor, and mother Toshiko, their surviving son Ryota, who has recently married a widow (Yukari) with a young son (Atsushi), and their daughter Chinami as well as her husband and their children. Ryota feels resentment because he feels Junpei was the favorite son and his parents initially resent him for marrying a widow, but apparently they come around. Still Walking was widely praised by critics with a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and won the Golden Astor for Best Film at the 2008 Mar del Plata International Film Festival.

Saving: Tsotsi

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris' Noms Next)

A Walk to Remember

A_Walk_to_Remember_Poster.jpg

Imagine my severe disappointment when I joined this game and saw that not only was the Notebook immune, but so was this film! I've seen this movie twice since for some godforsaken reason at one of my Catholic classes on the last day they showed it. I'm not sure who immuned it, but it is first or second round nomination material in my mind, so it's a very easy cut to make now. But overall glorious noms, Chris! 

A Walk to Remember is based on the Nicholas Sparks novel of the same name, with Shane West starring as high school senior and bad boy Landon Carter and Mandy Moore as Jamie Sullivan, daughter of the local Baptist minister. They meet after Landon pranks a new kid and is given detention, and since this film is cliche "good girl falls for bad boy and fixes him" all the way, they fall in love when they do a play together. But Jamie's not allowed to date due to being the perfect little Baptist girl. 🤢  So Landon has to ask her father for permission. He grants it, but then he finds Jamie has leukemia. They get married anyway and Jamie dies at the end (a common theme in Nicholas Sparks books/films, I think), but then Landon names a star after her. A Walk to Remember is just OTT and bland and saccharine, so sorry to its fans, but out it goes now as it's been my #1 target since I joined. It has a 24% rating on RT so clearly the critics agreed. 

Save: Saw

Edited by ~Tom~
  • Confused 1

OLD SCHOOL (2003)

MV5BN2VjNDQ4MDctMDY3Yy00MmZmLTlhM2MtMWE4NjJhZTlmNTAxL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Old School is an R-rated comedy film about men in their thirties starting a fraternity. Hijinks and the debauchery ensues. That's not enough to meet the word count, so let me discuss more about the plot. Luke Wilson's character discovers his girlfriend regularly participates in orgies. He moves out and finds a place near a college campus. His best friends come over to hang out with him, and they turn his bachelor pad into a place to have wild parties. Luke Wilson's character is soon informed he must leave the house since it's exclusive for campus housing. Thus, they form their own fraternity to meet the standards. Anyway, this type of humor isn't for me. I think Old School was a pretty popular film when it was released. I remember people mentioning Will Ferrell's Frank the Tank character and his "We're going streaking!" line. So, there's certainly an audience for these kind of films who find it funny. I'm just not one of those people that enjoys films like these. Anyway, as for what the critics thought, Old School has a 60% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads: "While not consistently funny, the movie does have its moments." 

Saving How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.

200.gif

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Chris' Noms Posted)

Confessions of a Shopaholic (2009)

Confessions of a Shopaholic.jpg

Apparently, Shopaholic is a series of 10 British novels by Sophie Kinsella. This movie is the adaption of the first two novels in the series. Isla Fisher is here as the main character who likes to go shopping. And she works as a magazine journalist. Okay, yet another romantic comedy about someone who works for a magazine????? Is that the only plausible job that a romantic lead actress can have in a ~*big city*~? Or are magazine journalists all moonlighting as romance novelists??? No one knows. Critics tolerated Isla but were unimpressed by the rest of the film. Also I'm always giving the side-eye when the woman falls for her boss and ends up with him in the end. Questionable. 

Save REC

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY

A Tim Burton film starring Johnny Depp as a quirky lead? Revolutionary. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is an unnecessary new adaptation of the Roald Dahl book, that was originally done in the far superior 1974 film. I'm not sure if Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka was supposed to be creepy or not in this film since I only saw it once when it first came out, but if he was, he still never matched up to the iconic Gene Wilder performance in this scene:

At any rate, the film was still well received critically (though Johnny Depp's performance was polarizing) and did well at the box office. While debate rages on on which film is better of the two, this one was still more faithful to the source material. Normally I prefer that, but again, the original film is far better. lmao I'm looking at the cast list, and how did I forget that Missy Pyle, Christopher Lee and Helena Bonham Carter (not that that surprises me) are in this.

I can't say I agree with this film being this high. Perhaps if I was to rewatch it, I'd change my opinion, but that would involve willingly sitting through two hours of Johnny Depp and I'm not about that life.

SAVE: House of 1000 Corpses

Aquamarine

Aquamarine is my choice for a cut because to be quite honest I like 50 first dates and i have no idea what Aquamarine even us before I googled it just now. I had no idea queen JoJo acted but I guess she s I'd because she is in the film along with Sara Paxton who did that weird replace the actress and pretend we won't notice in the last Halloween town???? And finally it has Emma Roberts in who is absolute garbage so that alone justifies this cut sorry. Not only is she a terrible actress she is a terrible person too any back to Aquamarine it was released in 2006 based on a novel and has a 51 percent on rotten tomates. Not too great. 

Saving: 50 First Dates

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Derek's Noms Next)
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Derek's Noms Posted)

its-complicated-5026580b3a7c7.png

DapperMildKiwi-size_restricted.gif

This cut has been long coming, considering that I've nominated it at multiple occasions - apologies to Steven who's been saving it, but I don't believe it's one of his top favourite as he simply post a gif of John Krasinki who doesn't have a major role in the movie.  For those unaware, It's Complicated is a comedy movie, released in 2009, that features Meryl Streep - not her best work but because she's Meryl Streep, she was able to get a Golden Globe nomination for her role, Steve Martin, and Alex Baldwin in the main roles. Considered as a romantic comedy movie, it follows the life of Meryl Streep's character who finds herself having an affair with her ex-husband while being attracted to another man.  Honestly, I've never seen the movie as it doesn't speak to me nor do I believe I am its target audience, so I've often based my decision on nominating it to its middle of the road reviews and it having one of the lowest RT score of the movies remaining in the rankdown.  

SAVING: A MIGHTY HEART