Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

20. 21 GUNS – GREEN DAY

6ee96b9a59cef27d8bac481c5c4ef935.1000x800x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

NICO: 1

QK: 3

ALEX: 5

ANDREW: 7

REI: 9

AKSHAR: 16

CHRIS: 16

DIANA: 16

LILY: 16

RICHARD: 16

ANDY: 18

DEREK: 18

ELLIOTT: 18

GIGI: 18

STEVEN: 19

WALLACE: 20

ALEX

Billie Joe Armstrong trending for good reasons this week…I stan a good man!

RICHARD

I like the verses, but the chorus doesn’t do anything for me. Not one of my favorites of theirs.

ANDY

It’s a song I like but I think its runtime should be about two minutes shorter

STEVEN

I don't think I heard this song before, but I didn't like it much after listening to it now.

WALLACE

original.gif

"21 Guns" was a song from Green Day that I forgot all about until this 2009 round started. I am sure I heard this back when it was released in 2009 but I don't remember how often or how familiar I was with this song back then. But I do feel like it's the song I'm least familiar with of this Top 20. This is a nice, emotional vulnerable song from Green Day. I do enjoy how Billie Joe sings the song. Overall, I'm not that crazy about this song but it's probably one of those songs I need to hear more for it to really grow on me. I can get the appeal of it for others.

19. LET IT ROCK – KEVIN RUDOLF FEAT. LIL WAYNE

NDItMzAyNC5qcGVn.jpeg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ALEX: 2

DEREK: 3

ANDY: 6

WALLACE: 10

QK: 12

ELLIOTT: 13

REI: 13

NICO: 14

RICHARD: 15

STEVEN: 15

LILY: 17

ANDREW: 18

CHRIS: 19

DIANA: 19

GIGI: 19

AKSHAR: 20

ALEX

If this missed top 20 for the second year in a row I would’ve had a meltdown of biblical proportions.

ANDY

Definitely do not see this ranking high, but damn this song slaps and is super cool and edgy for a pop hit. Loved this when it came out and love it now

WALLACE

ThatPowerlessCanvasback-max-1mb.gifGoodVacantArabianoryx-max-1mb.gif

I have always really liked/loved "Let It Rock" from Kevin Rudolf and Lil Wayne. This is such a fun and exciting song to listen to and sometimes, I like to have those moments of blasting and jamming out to this! :bobo: I think "Let It Rock" does a great job of bringing multiple genres such as rock, rap and electropop into a song. I'm also happy to see a Lil Wayne feature finally make the Top 20 as I loved a number of songs that he's featured on (and some of his own) - even though this isn't the feature song I was pushing/hoping for to make the finals (which would be Jay Sean's "Down" :broken:), I'll still take it. But yeah this was the first song of Kevin Rudolf's and his biggest hit, and I really enjoy what he brings to the song. The opening verse is soo fun! :bobo: But I do really love those falsetto parts he sings on the pre-chorus where he sings:

And you take your time
And you do your crime
Well, you made your bet

Then I am totally HERE and jamming to the chorus that goes:

Because when I arrive
I, I'll bring the fire
Make you come alive
I can take you higher
What this is, forgot?
I must now remind you
Let it rock, let it rock, let it rock

:bobo: 

The second verse is also really fun, though I don't really have any standout favorite parts but I enjoy it as a whole. I do really enjoy Lil Wayne's verse and what he brings to the song. His part is really fun.

Yeah!
Wayne's World
Planet Rock 

And I sing about angels like Angela (rock)
And Pamela (rock). And Samantha (rock)
And Amanda (rock). And Tamara (rock) 

Shorty we can go wherever just pick a town
And the jewelry is louder than an engine sound
Big-a rocks like on the ground
Dirty like socks that's on the ground

Then I love all of those "let it rooooccckkkk, let it roooccckkkkk" parts at the end of the song. Then Lil Wayne's and Kevin have more fun parts at the end!

I'm back like I forgot something
I'm something
Ruling rock rubbin' rap runnin'
Miles like I'm trying to get a flat stomach
Like Wayne the personal trainer
Period, like the reminder 

I wish I could be
As cruel as you
And I wish I could say
The things you do
But I can't and I won't live a lie
No, not this time

"Let It Rock" is a really fun and infectious jam! It's not a song I was really pushing for to make it to the end but I certainly don't mind as I do really enjoy it. I don't know if I see this doing too well as I can see it showing up on the first set but hopefully it can surprise to do a little better than I expect.

RICHARD

I’ve always thought the vibe of the song was cool, but the lyrics are a bit trite, and the melody doesn’t really go anywhere. Overall, it’s fine.

STEVEN

I kind of liked the song when it was popular, but it was one of those songs that just came and went for me. I can't remember the last time I heard this song before now.

18. LOVE LOCKDOWN – KANYE WEST

c69fbdb9b2b4edae068aa1c91789a9e5.640x640x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ANDY: 3

NICO: 3

DEREK: 7

LILY: 7

ALEX: 8

REI: 11

WALLACE: 13

DIANA: 15

GIGI: 16

STEVEN: 16

RICHARD: 17

CHRIS: 18

QK: 18

AKSHAR: 19

ELLIOTT: 19

ANDREW: 20

ANDY

I’m really happy to see this song included as I know Kanye is, to say the least, a #problematicfave. This song is really quite unique and emotionally powerful. The drums in the chorus are a genius production choice and I love everything about this.

WALLACE

DaringCanineAfricanwilddog-max-1mb.gif

I really like "Love Lockdown" and think it's a really cool song. Although I would have preferred "Heartless" in the finals as I love that song more than this one. I nearly considered advancing that song through but then I didn't to give other artists some love but that didn't work.... so ugh at me there. :broken: :dead: Anyway, "Love Lockdown"  was such a unique and different sound from Kanye that kicked off the 808s & Heartbreak era for him. It was intriguing hearing Kanye working with electropop and autotune sounds. I do like the opening verse and how he sings that part, but especially like the latter part!

Screaming, "No, no, no, n-no!"
I'm not loving you, way I wanted to
See I wanna move, but can't escape from you
So I keep it low, keep a secret code
So everybody else don't have to know

Then I do love how the song builds up to the chorus. It has a hard hitting thumping sound!

So keep your love lockdown—your love lockdown
Keeping your love lockdown—your love lockdown
Now keep your love lockdown—your love lockdown
Now keep your love lockdown—you lose

Maybe not the right song to bobo along to, but I can't help it with the sound of this! I especially love how he repeats those "your love lockdown" parts. Then I also really love how he says and repeats: You lose, you lose there too - like in the middle of the second verse and at the end of the song! 

I don't really have many other standout parts lyrically, but I do really love it how the production picks up and those hard beating drums towards the end of the song. Such a fun and funky sound there! :bobo:  But yeah this is a pretty cool and enjoyable song. Not one of my ultimate favorite songs from Kanye, but still a song I really like.

STEVEN

I don't think I heard this song before. It's not bad, but it's not one of my favorites here either.

RICHARD

Love the piano in the background, don’t love the overproduction on his voice. Pentatonix did this one better.

17. FIREFLIES – OWL CITY

6398aab9f571667feedfce184a6a10d7.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ANDY: 1

RICHARD: 2

AKSHAR: 5

QK: 9

DEREK: 11

DIANA: 11

ALEX: 12

ANDREW: 12

CHRIS: 15

GIGI: 15

NICO: 15

WALLACE: 19

ELLIOTT: 20

LILY: 20

REI: 20

STEVEN: 20

ANDY

Pure euphoria and ecstasy. Such a left field choice for a #1 single and I loved it the first time I heard it; and I love it now.

RICHARD

It’s a bit sad for me that this song has become a meme, because I think it’s genuinely a great song. For me, it’s more nostalgic than any of the others, capturing that sense of childlike wonder beautifully with both the lyrics and the robotic sort of sound. The buildup to the last chorus is especially satisfying, especially with that hushing back down at the very end and the lingering instrumental afterwards.

ALEX

Not that I dislike this song, but if you told me a fourth grader wrote this song in a contest I would 100% believe you.

WALLACE

HeartyKindBobolink-size_restricted.gif

Ooh wow, I did not expect Owl City's "Fireflies" to be so popular in the voting round. I kinda wish I had thought of cutting this after certain Britney song got cut. 🙂😛 But "Fireflies" is a cute song. This is an interesting song for me because sometimes I would be really into the song and other times, I would be meh/don't really care for it. I guess it depends on my mood. I did enjoy the song when it was out but it's not really one I go back on these days. It has a nice and enjoyable sound to it. The chorus is cute and catchy, but I especially like it the second time it comes around:

I'd like to make myself believe
That planet Earth turns slowly
It's hard to say that I'd rather stay awake when I'm asleep
'Cause everything is never as it seems
(When I fall asleep)

I don't have too many stand out parts from the verses but I do like the part where the singer sings: 

A foxtrot above my head
A sock hop beneath my bed
A disco ball is just hanging by a thread.

Overall, as I said, "Fireflies" is a cute song but not really a big favorite of mine. But it's enjoyable. I do prefer another song of Owl City's so we'll see how that does in the future of this game. I'm sure "Fireflies" will do okay in the rankdown.

STEVEN

I almost cut this song myself in an earlier round, but I chose to make the safe choice and eliminate a song that already made the Top 20 last time. I also thought surely someone else would cut "Fireflies," so imagine my surprise seeing it advance to the Top 20. So yeah, sorry to the fans, but I'm not a fan of this song.

- I'm curious what reasons Billie Joe Armstrong was trending for this week? 😮 Okay with the "21 Guns" ranking. 

- Aww I'm not too surprised with "Let It Rock" ranking here as I did expect it to show up early. I wouldn't have minded this ranking higher. Really fun and enjoyable jam though. :bobo: OMGG Alex's comment though. :dead: 

- Hmmm I'm both surprised and not surprised about Kanye's "Love Lockdown" showing up at #18. I feel like this did really well in the voting round so I was expecting it to be higher. But it's Kanye, so he's polarizing and his songs won't really fare that well. Now I'm curious to hear Pentatonix's version. 

- OMG I was not expecting 4 #20s for "Fireflies." That's quite a shocker there. 😮 I like this but am okay with this ranking as well. omg Steven's comments on this though. :dead: 

Fireflies is such a weird song... when it first came out I despised it then a few years later I loved it then a couples years after that I hated it again and now I love it again. For some reason they play it on the radio here still lol

I'll do the usual #1s and #20s reveals.

#1s revealed: Nico, Andy
#1s left (14): Akshar, Alex, Andrew, Chris, Derek, Diana, Elliott, Gigi, Lily, QK, Rei, Richard, Steven, Wallace

#20s revealed (7): Wallace, Akshar, Andrew, Elliott, Lily, Rei, Steven
#20s left (9): Alex, Andy, Chris, Derek, Diana, Gigi, Nico, QK, Richard

1 minute ago, FrogLenzen said:

Fireflies is such a weird song... when it first came out I despised it then a few years later I loved it then a couples years after that I hated it again and now I love it again. For some reason they play it on the radio here still lol

Lmao yeah I have such a complicated relationship with this song too. :dead: I'm not really sure where I stand with it, lol.

I'm surprised Fireflies was Andy's #1. For some reason I thought Wally would have actually liked that song though. I am mostly in the indifferent camp though. I don't hate it because it's so weird and unique but also it's kinda impossible to like as well.

10 hours ago, QueenKalie said:

I'm surprised Fireflies was Andy's #1. For some reason I thought Wally would have actually liked that song though. I am mostly in the indifferent camp though. I don't hate it because it's so weird and unique but also it's kinda impossible to like as well.

I’m honestly pretty shocked people don’t like it

37 minutes ago, #jeah said:

I’m honestly pretty shocked people don’t like it

The only reason I didn’t cut it, is because I noticed you liked it while we were discussing about what to cut..

and then I wish I did after seein you cut If u seek amy 🙂

7 minutes ago, .Rei said:

The only reason I didn’t cut it, is because I noticed you liked it while we were discussing about what to cut..

You hate me

31 minutes ago, .Rei said:

This is so me after seeing Akshar cut "Circus." 😭

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, jarmon said:

Tbh my cut was 100% a petty cut. After Derek cut “Already Gone”, I was like which Britney song is getting the chop 🤭

Ahh I figured and that makes sense. But DANG, YOU SHOULD HAVE cut "3" though. :dead: 🤣

But aww both songs did deserve better. 

• Haha 1