Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

Unpopular opinion: musically Already Gone and Halo might have similarities, but the themes of the song are so different from each other that they feel like two very distinct songs to me.

• Like 6

16. OBSESSED – MARIAH CAREY

dff5ea0f49c3b6188bcd2d08ca1cc7e5.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

LILY: 1

DEREK: 5

GIGI: 8

STEVEN: 9

WALLACE: 9

AKSHAR: 11

QK: 13

DIANA: 14

ALEX: 15

ANDREW: 15

ANDY: 16

NICO: 16

ELLIOTT: 17

RICHARD: 18

REI: 19

CHRIS: 20

STEVEN

It's a fun and cheeky song, but it's not one I ever seek out to listen to. I agree with Andy when he says he's over it after a couple minutes in. Nonetheless, I still like this song better than most of the songs in this Top 20, so that's why it ranks high for me.

WALLACE

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611227ef212bc5f6b18fc6893d40eb5d74124f961e2&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

"Obsessed" isn't really one of my ultimate or biggest favorite songs from Mariah Carey, because of course bigger Mariah favorites of mine get target/cut like "Shake It Off." But it's Mariah, so I'm totally here for this song making it to the Final 20.... and I will take it. :haha: I just can't place it higher than 9th as I love the other 8 songs above this more. It's also interesting how Mariah uses auto-tune on this song. She doesn't really need that as she's an amazing vocalist, but for this song it works. "Obsessed" was Mariah's diss track to Eminem and wow.... that "relationship" they had was.... something. :dead: I love how Mariah starts it off with the iconic "I was like, "Why are you're so obsessed with me?" :dead:  It's SO fun to use on people who are so obsessed with you. :giggle: I do enjoy how Mariah sings the opening verse of the song, but especially like the parts where she sings: 

And no one here even mentions your name
It must be the weed, it must be the E
'Cause you be popping, heard you get it popping

Then I also really love the chorus and think it's so fun and catchy.

Ooh whoa oh, oh
Why you're so obsessed with me? Boy, I wanna know
Lying that you're sexing me, when everybody knows
It's clear that you're upset with me, oh oh oh
Finally found a girl that you couldn't impress
Last man on the earth, still couldn't get this
You're delusional, you're delusional
Boy, you're losing your mind
It's confusing, yo, you're confused, you know
Why you wasting your time?
Got you all fired up with your Napoleon complex
Seeing right through you like you're bathing in Windex 

Oh, oh, oh
Boy, why you're so obsessed with me?

:bobo: 

LMAOOO these lyrics and this story Mariah is telling is just so.... wow. :dead: But then I love how she sings the chorus at the end of the song and how she adds in some other lyrics where she adds: "Hey, he's all up in my George Foreman" and "Lying that you're sexing Mimi)." OK I actually didn't realize or catch her saying that "my George Foreman" after all this time. :dead:

The music video is also reallly fun too. Mariah looks really gorgeous as usual. And lmaoo her disguise/dressed up as Eminem is so hilarious. :haha: But yeah "Obsessed" is such a fun jam from Mariah and I'm happy to see her making another appearance in the finals. I don't expect this to do too well - but think it could make it to the second set, maybe? We'll see.

ANDY

I enjoy this, but am usually pretty over it after a couple minutes in

RICHARD

Good chorus, but the rest of the song is forgettable and doesn’t highlight Mariah’s voice all that well.

15. BOOM BOOM POW – THE BLACK EYED PEAS

152d53330d737fb82e3cc1ff7cc7bd1d.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

DEREK: 2

WALLACE: 6

DIANA: 9

CHRIS: 10

REI: 10

QK: 11

ELLIOTT: 12

NICO: 12

GIGI: 13

LILY: 13

RICHARD: 13

ANDREW: 16

ALEX: 17

ANDY: 17

STEVEN: 17

AKSHAR: 18

WALLACE

4c1edd82-aa1e-4b8b-b7c0-8e4b4df79697_text.gif

f70e66e2-c7e1-4a1d-8b0c-ee6d53048775_text.gif

"Boom Boom Pow" is such a fun, catchy and exciting jam from The Black Eyed Peas. Something that really shocked me about this song while reading information on it was how this was Black Eyed Peas first #1 hit on the Billboard Hot 100. Wow, really? That doesn't make sense to me as they had so many big hits before this song. 😮 But yeah this was a really big comeback for them, as they reunited after Fergie's successful solo album, so it was nice seeing the group come back with this jam. I love how futuristic this song is with its sound too. The music video also matches the song so well.

LOL I must say I do love the intro of this song from will.i.am where he says that "Gotta get that" part because sometimes I would hear that as "got a kit kat." :dead: TELL ME that you don't hear that either. :haha: But that and those "boom boom boom" are so fun and catchy! Anyway, the rest of will.i.am's opening verse is a lot of fun. I especially love the part where he raps:

I got that rock 'n' roll, that future flow. :bobo: 

Then Fergie comes in with her part, and she absolutely slays her part! I love it soo much! 

I like that boom boom pow
Them chickens jackin' my style
They try to copy my swagger
I'm on that next now
I'm so three thousand and eight
You so two thousand and late
I got that boom boom boom
That future boom boom boom
Let me get it now

:bobo: :bobo: 

Taboo's verse is really fun although his part is probably my least favorite here. But I like the start of his verse where he raps: 

I'm on that supersonic boom
Y'all hear that spaceship zoom
When I step inside the room

Then I really love Apl.de.ap's verse a lot as a whole, which is so much fun where he raps:

I'm a beast when you turn me on
Into the future, cybertron
Harder, faster, better, stronger
Sexy ladies, extra longer
'Cause we got the beat that bounce
We got the beat that pound
We got the beat, that 808
That boom boom in your town

I also really love Fergie's next part where she is SANGING and belting it out: 

People in the place
If you wanna get down
Put your hands in the air
Will.I.am., drop the beat now

Then that beat drops and wow the song gets sooo funky, electrifying and full of slayage! :omg: :spaz: I just love how the song amplifies and goes to another level at that next part! 

Here we go, here we go, satellite radio
Y'all gettin' hit wit' the (Boom, boom!)
Beats so big, I'm steppin' on leprechauns
Y'all get hit wit' the (Boom, boom!)
Y'all get hit wit' the (Boom, boom!)
Y'all get hit wit' the 
This beat be bumpin', bumpin'
This beat go boom boom
Let the beat rock
Let the beat rock
Let the beat rock
This beat be bumpin', bumpin'
This beat go boom boom

will.i.am really does kill it on that verse! :bobo: Then I love those other effects that come in on the song. It just makes you want to get up and jam! :bobo: But yeah "Boom Boom Pow" is such a fun, catchy and exciting jam. I do really love this song and think of it as amongst my favorites from The Black Eyed Peas. Again, I don't know where it ranks amongst my feelings of their songs but it's up there. I also love the music video to this song. I also feel this song will be polarizing with rankings all over the place.

RICHARD

Like “Knock You Down,” this song is definitely one of the most quintessential 2009 songs in the top 20. I wouldn’t choose to listen to it in my spare time, but I respect it for its impact.

ALEX

Derek called Jeremiah Lloyd Harmon’s flawless cover of “Who Wants to Live Forever” “noise” but stans this. Make it make sense.

ANDY

Lmao I forgot how annoying this song is. Like Fergie’s parts are iconic but listening to it now like so much of this song is straight up intolerable. But Fergie stays being queen of the future and we’re all stuck in Two Thousand And Late :( 

STEVEN

It's got a catchy beat, but the lyrics are a bit too silly for me. I mean, the title is "Boom Boom Pow" after all.

14. WHITE HORSE – TAYLOR SWIFT

1110a3640334058f917bccee75bbeffe.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

DIANA: 1

GIGI: 1

AKSHAR: 3

STEVEN: 4

QK: 6

CHRIS: 7

DEREK: 13

REI: 14

ELLIOTT: 16

ANDREW: 17

NICO: 18

WALLACE: 18

ANDY: 19

ALEX: 19

LILY: 19

RICHARD: 19

STEVEN

I agree with Wallace that I'd rather have seen "You Belong With Me" here, but at least that song will get a second chance in the 2010 round. I still like "White Horse" though. It's not one of my most-listened to Taylor Swift songs, but I'm reminded how good of a song it is whenever I hear it again. And it easily gets a high ranking for me out of this Top 20.

WALLACE

HPqI.gif

"White Horse" is quite heartbreaking and we all know Taylor Swift can sell songs like these so well. :broken: I do like this and think this is a very pretty song. Again, it's not really one of my top favorite singles from her Fearless album. I personally would have preferred having "You Belong With Me" here as I prefer that song (where that probably would have ranked around #10/11 for me amongst these songs). But it's still a good song. Anyway, Taylor sounds so pretty and I enjoy how she sings the song, pours her heart into this and sells the story of heartbreak here.  I do enjoy how she sings the chorus of the song that goes:

That I'm not a princess, this ain't a fairy tale
I'm not the one you'll sweep off her feet
Lead her up the stairwell
This ain't Hollywood, this is a small town
I was a dreamer before you went and let me down
Now it's too late for you and your white horse to come around

It's kinda interesting how she sings she's not a princess and this isn't a fairy tale, where she would sing all about that in "Love Story." Hmm, listening to this more, the verses are nice but I'm not really finding any standout parts for me here? But I do really like the bridge and think that's a highlight of the song. I like how the music gets intensified and how Taylor sings parts of that song:

And there you are on your knees
Begging for forgiveness, begging for me
Just like I always wanted but I'm so sorry 

'Cause I'm not your princess, this ain't a fairy tale
I'm gonna find someone someday who might actually treat me well
This is a big world, that was a small town
There in my rear view mirror disappearing now
And it's too late for you and your white horse
Now it's too late for you and your white horse to catch me now

With the last chorus, I do like how she changes the chorus to bring a more uplifting feel to it of how she's not gonna let that guy keep her down and feeling bad about what went wrong with them. The video is also shot and directed nicely, though it's heartbreaking to watch as well. I'm sure this will do.... how usual Taylor songs does, with a mix of really high ranks and really low ranks. But not sure where it will rank overall.

ANDY

Very boring song. I promise I’m a Taylor stan!!!! Just wait till the 2014 round 🙂

RICHARD

I suppose this is pretty-ish. A bit ordinary and boring, so it lands quite low on my list.

13. I'M YOURS – JASON MRAZ

0f2d9547998c53d2fa27d7223f8a5bc1.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

STEVEN: 3

CHRIS: 5

RICHARD: 6

DIANA: 8

ANDREW: 9

QK: 10

AKSHAR: 12

ALEX: 13

ANDY: 14

DEREK: 15

ELLIOTT: 15

WALLACE: 15

GIGI: 17

NICO: 17

REI: 17

LILY: 18

STEVEN

I'm glad Chris and I were able to advance this to the Top 20 after it fell short last round. This was a big hit for Jason Mraz, and I can understand why some felt like it was overplayed. But I always enjoyed this song. It's got a really nice, happy, and easygoing vibe, and I like Jason's delivery here.

RICHARD

Easy listening songs like this are some of my favorites, so naturally, this places high on my list. I think similarly to other artists in the genre like Colbie Caillat, his music has aged quite well over time compared to a lot of the others here.

ALEX

This song is Fine, but “Scooch on over closer dear and I will nibble your ear” is the worst lyric ever written.

ANDY

Yay it finally made the top 20! This is a great song that I am a little burnt out on since it was so huge for so long. But you can’t deny it deserves its success

WALLACE

tumblr_liyupfsAmF1qzhvg4o1_500.gifv

"I'm Yours" is a chill, nice and very relaxed song from Jason Mraz. I do like how breezy and easygoing the sound is. This isn't one of those songs I would really go out to and listen to on my own a bunch of times, but I do enjoy hearing this playing on the radio or other places. I do remember when this song was really huge and played everywhere. I don't think I ever ~LOVED this song that much but I think I always really enjoyed it. Jason has a nice voice and makes the song so easy to listen to. The verses are cool, but I do prefer and really enjoy the chorus where he sings:

But I won't hesitate
No more, no more
It cannot wait
I'm yours

From the second verse, I do really like the part where Jason sings:

And look into your heart and you'll find love, love, love, love
Listen to the music of the moment, people dance and sing, we're just one big family
And it's our God-forsaken right to be loved, loved, loved, loved, loved

The bridge section where Jason does all of that scatting is pretty cool and fun, where he sings: But don't you want to come on and scooch on over closer, dear. I kinda forgot about that part. :haha:

Another part I liked is where Jason sings: But my breath fogged up the glass. And so I drew a new face and I laughed. That part always makes me laugh. :haha: It's also really impressive how this music video got over 677 million views! :omg: Yeah this is an enjoyable song and video from Jason Mraz.

- Really like "Obsessed" and was cool with this making the Top 20. Wouldn't have minded it being a little higher than 16th but also alright with its ranking here. I feel the exact same as Steven's last sentence. :haha: I can get Richard's comment here too. 

- Aww okay, bummed about "Boom Boom Pow" showing up already as I thought that could have made it higher. :( But I can also get it ranking here at 15th too. I'm kinda shook being its 2nd highest ranker but I'm fine with it. OMG Alex with the shady comment at Derek. :dead: I'd like to think of Jeremiah's WWTFL and this song as both great. :giggle: 

- Fine with Taylor's "White Horse" ranking. The all over the place rankings does make sense. Very pretty song though not one of my top faves from Taylor and yayy nice seeing Steven agree with me! 

- I enjoy "I'm Yours" and cool with it making to 13th. Yeah true that this was overplayed but it's very smooth and easy listening. Once again Alex cracks me up with his comment. :lmao: 

45 minutes ago, *Lily said:

Expectedly my worst showing for a #1 pick, but I’m just glad Obsessed made it to top 20!

Just know that I've done worse - a few more times. :dead: 

4 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

JLH could never!

Not you posting this. :dead: 

Okay so so far..... 4 #1s have been revealed with half of the #20s revealed and still left to show up.

#1s revealed (4): Nico, Andy, Lily, Diana, Gigi
#1s left (12): Akshar, Alex, Andrew, Chris, Derek, Elliott, QK, Rei, Richard, Steven, Wallace

#20s revealed (8): Wallace, Akshar, Andrew, Elliott, Lily, Rei, Steven, Chris
#20s left (8): Alex, Andy, Derek, Diana, Gigi, Nico, QK, Richard

12. KNOCK YOU DOWN – KERI HILSON FEAT. KANYE WEST AND NE-YO

24f2b83bb07a931c260ebdbee6220b55.600x600x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

LILY: 3

ANDY: 4

WALLACE: 4

CHRIS: 8

DEREK: 9

ALEX: 10

ELLIOTT: 11

AKSHAR: 13

NICO: 13

GIGI: 14

RICHARD: 14

REI: 16

QK: 17

DIANA: 18

STEVEN: 18

ANDREW: 19

ANDY

Kanye’s parts are iconic obviously, Keri slays and the chorus is pure bliss. Can take or leave Ne-Yo’s parts lmao

WALLACE

AcademicRelievedChickadee-size_restricted.gif

Ah I absolutely love "Knock You Down" by Keri Hilson featuring Kanye West and Ne-Yo! This was one of my favorite songs of 2009 and I am so very glad this made it through to the finals in the Final voting round. I did lose one of my big underdog favorite songs so I didn't want to lose two, so yeah I'm glad this survived. And veryyy happy that Andy + Chris advanced this song in two different rounds! 😄 I do remember "Knock You Down" being in my Top 5 for 2009, so it makes sense for me to rank this at #4. But wow this is such a powerhouse collaboration with three talented artists in Keri Hilson, Kanye West and Ne-Yo. I'm a fan of all 3 artists and love what each of them bring to the song. I love the smooth R&B/Hip-Hop feel of this song. I like Kanye's part in the intro where he raps:

Keep rocking, and keep knocking
Whether you Louboutin it up or Reebokin' 

So what we gonna have, dessert or disaster?

Keri sings on the actual opening verse of the song and she sounds really pretty on this track. ❤️ I love how Keri sings her first verse, especially the latter half of it where that beat comes in!

Feels like I'm in a race, but I already won first place
I never thought I'd fall for you as hard as I did (As hard as I did, yeah)
You got me thinking 'bout our life, our house, our kids, yeah
Every morning, I look at you and smile
'Cause boy, you came around
And you knocked me down, knocked me down

Then I also really love the chorus and find it fun and catchy (even though it isn't reallly fun lyrically but still).

Sometimes, love comes around
(Love comes around, love comes around)
And it knocks you down
Just get back up when it knocks you down, knocks you down

I love Ne-Yo's part and he always brings so much smoothness in any song he's in. No difference here. Some of my favorite parts are where he sings:

"Y'all go 'head" (Oh)
"I think I'm gonna kick it with my girl today"
(Kick it with my girl today)
I used to be commander-in-chief
On my pimp s, flying high (Flying high) 

Hit, so now, I'm crashing (Don't know how it happened)
But I know it feels so good
Said if I could go back and (Make it happen faster)
Don't you know I would, baby, if I could? (Oh)
Miss Independent (To the fullest)

I especially love the "Miss Independent" reference he made, referring to his own song, which is so good and underrated! (!) Oh wow then I really love the second chorus where Keri & Ne-Yo sings it together. They bring so beautiful and stunning harmonies on that part of the song. SO good! ❤️

Kanye brings it and really kills it on his actual verse of the song. I love a lot of what he raps, but some of my favorite parts are where he raps the following:

Tell me now, can you make it past your Caspers?
So we can finally fly off into NASA
You was always the cheerleader of my dreams
That seemed to only date the head of football teams 

We were never meant to be, baby; we just happened
So, please, don't mess up the trick
"Hey Young World," I'm the new Slick Rick
They say I move too quick, but we can't let this moment pass us 

Let the wind blow the ash right before my glasses
So I wrote this love letter right before my classes 

Woe is me, baby, this is tragic
'Cause we had it, we was magic
I was flying; now, I'm crashing (Oh)
This is bad, real bad—Michael Jackson

As I mentioned about loving Kanye's rap verse here, but I love how Keri adds in some ad-libs and background vocals on some of his lines. So good. "Knock You Down" is such a great and enjoyable jam. It's one of those songs I kinda forgot how much I loved but I'm so glad I got to re-listen to and enjoy it on here! The music video is also really good and enjoyable too. I don't really expect or think this will rank too high, like I wish it could. :( I just hope it can place higher than 19th, at least for poor Ne-Yo's sake, who has been stuck at the 19th spot with all of his appearances on here.... but we'll see.

RICHARD

Definitely one of the songs that epitomizes 2009 the most for me. I’ve never been super attached to it, but I like the NeYo feature on the track.

STEVEN

I don't think I heard this song before. It's one that'll have to grow on me, but it ranks low for me now. I like Ne-Yo's parts, but I don't care for Kanye's verses. This would be higher for me if it was mostly Ne-Yo singing this.

11. THE CLIMB – MILEY CYRUS

506a5650eeec977acc6de26585a7eec9.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

AKSHAR: 1

ELLIOTT: 1

QK: 1

ANDREW: 5

STEVEN: 5

DIANA: 6

RICHARD: 7

GIGI: 9

LILY: 10

WALLACE: 11

CHRIS: 12

REI: 18

DEREK: 19

NICO: 19

ALEX: 20

ANDY: 20

AKSHAR

This is a gospel song and no one can tell me otherwise.

STEVEN

Perhaps the song is a bit cheesy akin to the Idol coronation songs back in the peak Idol years, but I can't help but like this song. I like the lyrics and the melody, and Miley's delivery is great too. 

RICHARD

Sure, there’s a bit of cheese factor to this song, but it’s a guilty pleasure for me, so I went with my heart on this placement. It’s a beautiful track, with Miley’s vocals pairing really well with the instrumental. The song builds in quite a satisfying way, too.

WALLACE

Vwgb.gif

I'm not too surprised to see "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus making it through to the finals. I was preferring for this to advance through "Paparazzi" in the voting round but it's nice this made it through the overall voting round. While this isn't one of my very top favorite songs of 2009, it's still a song I really enjoy and love from Miley. In fact, this is one of my top favorite songs from her. I remember "The Climb" being in support of her Hannah Montana: The Movie and this being the big power ballad in support of that. It was also one of those songs were couldn't get away from on various singing shows. :haha: Miley sounds beautiful on the song and sings it with such heartfelt feeling. She sounds really nice on the opening verse, but I especially love the pre-chorus and chorus of the song, where she builds up the song singing:

But I, I gotta keep tryin'
Gotta keep my head held high 

There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always gonna be an uphill battle
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side
It's the climb

Very beautiful and moving. ❤️ From the second verse, I love the part where she sings:

Sometimes might knock me down
But no, I'm not breaking
I may not know it
But these are the moments
That I'm gonna remember most, yeah

That part always sticks out to me for some reason. But then I really like how the song builds up with the strong guitar playing/solo section. The bridge (which is the repeat of the chorus?) Or is it? I really like how she sings that section of the song, as well as the last section of the song where she sings:

Keep on movin'
Keep climbin'
Keep the faith, baby
It's all about — it's all about the climb
Keep the faith, keep your faith, whoa, whoa, oh

That's such a powerful part! Overall, this is a great and powerful song from Miley. I am sure it will do really well in this rankdown and am curious to see where it ranks - I'm thinking somewhere in the 7-10 range. But we'll see.

ALEX

It took a long time to get there, but I’m so glad Miley has reached her “Plastic Hearts” era.

ANDY

Cheesy as all hell. Party in the USA was robbed

10. SHE WOLF – SHAKIRA

48416e87af0350e875f876e3dfd73bc0.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

REI: 1

ANDY: 2

GIGI: 7

NICO: 7

QK: 7

DEREK: 8

LILY: 8

STEVEN: 8

ALEX: 11

ANDREW: 11

RICHARD: 12

CHRIS: 14

ELLIOTT: 14

WALLACE: 14

AKSHAR: 17

DIANA: 17

ANDY

One of my favorite Shakira songs. This song is sexy and fun, and the coffee machine line is forever iconic.

STEVEN

"She Wolf" isn't one of my favorite Shakira songs, but I still like it. It's got a catchy beat with an intriguing vibe to it. Shakira delivers this well too.

ALEX

This is a very bizarre song. I didn’t really like it while listening to it but then it ended and I wanted to listen to it again? There was just something about it that I was lowkey into!

RICHARD

This song is quite earwormy and is really one of the only songs on this list that I think was underplayed in 2009. I hope it ranks somewhat high.

WALLACE

1iln.gif

While "She Wolf" isn't one of my very top favorites from Shakira, I do really enjoy this song. "She Wolf" is such a hot, fun and sexy song, which we all know Shakira slays and sells so effortlessly. This song also has a very intriguing vibe to it with the music and the concept/theme. I don't really know how to describe it, but I love the funky beat/music here. It's just so fun! :bobo: I do really enjoy how she sings the opening verse of the song, which is so fun. I do really like the parts where she sings:

The moon's awake now, with eyes wide open
My body's craving, so feed the hungry
I've been devoting myself to you Monday to Monday and Friday to Friday
Not getting enough retribution or decent incentives to keep me at it
I'm starting to feel just a little abused like a coffee machine in an office, ah
So I'm gonna go somewhere cosy to get me a lover and tell you about it

Then the chorus comes in and that part of the song is also a whole lot of fun too where Shakira sings:

There's a she wolf in the closet
Open up and set it free
There's a she wolf in your closet
Let it out so it can breathe

From the second verse, I really like the parts where she sings:

Nocturnal creatures are not so prudent
The moon's my teacher, and I'm her student
To locate the single man I got on me a special radar
And the fire department hot line in case I get in trouble later
Not looking for cute little divos or rich city guys I just want to enjoy

The bridge of the song with that whole "S.O.S. she's in disguise. There's a she wolf in disguise" is kind of strange sounding? I don't know how to describe it but it does add character to the song and it's reallly interesting. Sometimes I really like it and sometimes I'm confused? :dead::haha:  But it is reallly fun though. 

"She Wolf" is a fun song from Shakira. It's one of those songs I realize I enjoyed more than I thought I did on paper, so this moved up a little bit for me. The music video doesn't hurt it either. The video is reallly hot and Shakira does bring so much hotness and sexiness to it, which is so effortless from her. :omg: But yeah I am sure this will do well as past Shakira songs have done.

9. USE SOMEBODY – KINGS OF LEON

9db28c3989ec5ce88d9454e052f38452.325x325x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ALEX: 3

ANDREW: 4

QK: 4

NICO: 5

REI: 5

CHRIS: 6

DIANA: 7

ANDY: 8

ELLIOTT: 8

AKSHAR: 10

DEREK: 12

STEVEN: 12

LILY: 15

WALLACE: 17

GIGI: 20

RICHARD: 20

ANDY

lol @ the one song that advanced randomly getting the most votes to make it to the top 20. Fully deserved as this song is fabulous.

STEVEN

I like the instrumentation here, but the vocals aren't my favorite. I was surprised this had to advance via randomizer. I wouldn't have really been bothered if it missed out on a spot in the Top 20, but I still like it enough to place it in the middle of my ranking.

WALLACE

KOL-1481304876.gif

It was nice how Randomizer came through for some of the rankers for "Use Somebody" as I know many people were wanting this to advance. I definitely feel I don't love or like this as much as most people do it seems (I initially had this higher as I thought I liked it more), but I do still like and think this is a really solid song. The opening guitar driven rock music is really cool. I don't know much about Kings of Leon the band, outside of a few songs, but I just learned they are a band of brothers and Caleb is the lead singer. 😮 I do like how Caleb sings on this song and the heartfelt passion he has while singing this. I do like how he sings:

You know that I could use somebody
You know that I could use somebody
Someone like you
Woooahhh ooooh ooooh

I like how he powers through those parts and especially those "ooooh ooooh" parts are pretty cool. Then I also like the parts where Caleb sings:

I hope it's gonna make you notice
I hope it's gonna make you notice 

Someone like me
Someone like me
Someone like me, somebody

Yeah "Use Somebody" is a cool and enjoyable song. This isn't really one of my big favorites of the year but I can get how this is a big favorite for many people, so that's cool. This song did achieve a lot of success winning multiple Grammy Awards such as Record of the Year, Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal and Best Rock Song. So congrats to Kings of Leon on those honors. I am certain it will do well on this rankdown and can see it making the Top 10.

RICHARD

I irrationally dislike this song, lol. I think it’s his affected style of singing that irks me.

On 12/19/2021 at 11:16 PM, Steven_ said:

TOP 8 SONGS OF 2009

"Halo" – Beyoncé

"Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It) – Beyoncé

"My Life Would Suck Without You" – Kelly Clarkson

"Paparazzi" – Lady Gaga
"Poker Face" – Lady Gaga
"Just Dance" – Lady Gaga feat. Colby O'Donis
"Sober" – P!nk

"Untouched" – The Veronicas

- Wow, I'm so happy and pleasantly surprised with "Knock You Down" making it to 12th! :wub: I honestly thought and feared this would have showed up on the first set so it really exceeded my expectations making it this high, so yayy. ❤️ Love this song so much! ❤️

- Oooh so Miley's "The Climb" kinda ended up being the most polarizing song. Not reallly surprised about that - with the multiple #1s and #20s here. But wow the rankings for this song is really all over the place - lots of #1s, then some middle/low range Top 10s, a few high Bottom 10s and then the rest being Bottom 3 ranks. I was a bit off with my prediction of this so oops.

- Cool with "She Wolf" cracking and making it to 10th. Interesting ranks for this one seeing a few Top 2 ranks, all of those #7s & #8s, then those #11 through #14 ranks and a few #17 ranks. So kinda all over the place. :haha: But a really fun and sexy song from Shakira!

- Good on "Use Somebody" making it to 9th. I'm kinda surprised it didn't make it higher but then I did expect this to make Top 10. Pretty solid ranks with 10 Top 10 ranks here. I'm with Steven on this one but happy for others having this here as it's clearly loved.

Really liking this Top 8 remaining! ❤️ I think I got #1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 12, 16 all remaining.

Remaining #1s and #20s:

#1s revealed (9): Nico, Andy, Lily, Diana, Gigi, Akshar, Elliott, QK, Rei
#1s left (7): Alex, Andrew, Chris, Derek, Richard, Steven, Wallace

#20s revealed (12): Wallace, Akshar, Andrew, Elliott, Lily, Rei, Steven, Chris, Alex, Andy, Gigi, Richard
#20s left (4):  Derek, Diana, Nico, QK