4 chair Preventions

VoiceFan!

1 hour ago, Voice said:

Holly Brand for sure!

*I still don’t know why Blake didn’t turn.

one theory i have is that he didn’t like the embellishments she brought to the song (like the whistle notes) if he prefers country music to be done more traditionally / similarly to the original?

he strikes me as open minded to powerhouse singing (bc he’s coached so many on the show) but i’ve also heard that he can be somewhat particular when it comes to some country songs (specifically George Straits songs) — wonder if that played into it? she does clearly have the vocals to go far in the show.  

On 3/11/2023 at 2:43 PM, Cookie73 said:

Also, for Season 21, Samuel and Bella could have gotten all four. Season 22 already had a ton of four chair turns, but Bryce would be my choice, since I liked his audition a lot more than most of his other performances.

These three are my picks from the last couple seasons as well. 

Less certain on who I’d put for S23, but the three-chairs so far have all been deserving of at least that many chairs which makes it hard to pick just one.

On 3/11/2023 at 5:44 PM, Rodney said:

Ian and Tanner from last season should've gotten all four, too.  I don't know what Camila was thinking with either of them.

Pls, don't hate me for disagreeing with you, but in my opinion they were two chairs-turns at best :ph34rwave:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

Pls, don't hate me for disagreeing with you, but in my opinion they were two chairs-turns at best :ph34rwave:

Personally, I think Ian getting three was appropriate (but he’s from close to where I live so I might be a touch biased), but I agree on Tanner being a weaker three-chair turn.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

10 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

Personally, I think Ian getting three was appropriate (but he’s from close to where I live so I might be a touch biased), but I agree on Tanner being a weaker three-chair turn.

Agree that Ian was deserving of three chairs while Tanner was a weaker three chair turn. Ian’s blind is pretty underrated imo.

Trevin Hunte from Season 3.

Adam literally spent the entire audition vibing to Trevin's performance, while Blake screamed at him to turn (legit at one point said, "What is WRONG with you?!"), and he just... didn't. Like, it was the quintessential 4-chair audition, and Adam just refused to turn because he didn't think he stood a chance against Cee Lo, Christina, and Blake. Very similar to the reasoning he gave for (equally unjustly) not turning for Chevel Shepherd's audition.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

John Holiday.

But I can see why Blake didn't turn, he would've had no chance even if he turned.

I kinda disagree with the whole "I didn't turn because I didn't think I stood a chance" reason a lot of coaches give. For one thing, some crazy pairings have generated some of the most interesting runs on this show (like Blake/Kyla Jade, Gwen/Rose Short, etc.) - and for another, sometimes turning for an absurdly good audition is just a move of respect. Like, it's signaling to viewers that it was so good, that regardless of whether the coach stands a chance or not, it deserved 4 chairs for its artistry.

I hate when people have amazing auditions, and by mere virtue of one coach deciding they won't get picked, they don't even try.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, VintageVoice said:

These three are my picks from the last couple seasons as well. 

Less certain on who I’d put for S23, but the three-chairs so far have all been deserving of at least that many chairs which makes it hard to pick just one.

Yeah, it’s one of those seasons where I like a lot of three chair turns. All of the ones in Week 1 deserved at least that amount. I’m leaning towards Sheer Element and Holly in terms of who I would have given a four chair turn 

7 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

Yeah, I didn't like either audition 😬

I would've given Ian two at most too. I can kinda see someone liking it though.

Just now, Hsamid said:

Patrique Fortson, Makenzie Thomas and Kymberli Joye were all 4 chair turn worthy but none of them even got 3 chairs turned. Have no idea what the coaches were thinking.

The panel had Kelly, the queen of pickiness, and that man, who had severely checked out by then.  You do the math.

• Haha 1

On 3/13/2023 at 4:53 PM, Hsamid said:

Patrique Fortson, Makenzie Thomas and Kymberli Joye were all 4 chair turn worthy but none of them even got 3 chairs turned. Have no idea what the coaches were thinking.

just relistened to them:

- MaKenzie was good, but i'm not sure she deserved 4 chairs. she used tons of runs which has been a place for criticism in the past. plus, she's singing a song about loneliness -> madness / despair and there's not any emotion in it. i'm definitely looking for things to critique here instead of organically sharing my thoughts, but i do think that there's reason for her to not have gotten 4 chairs... my impression of her has always been that she's a great singer but her runs are her best feature, not her belting. not sure why she wasn't criticized for overusing runs when Shi'Ann was?

- I agree that Kymberli deserved a 4 chair turn. I think the climax with the belting was a bit short, but she 100% deserved the 4th chair turn just because of how big her vocals were there. also one thing i find so funny is that when JHud tells Kelly to sit down she actually does LMAO

- yeah Patrique deserved 4 chairs. he's insane. nothing more to say tbh

On 3/13/2023 at 4:55 PM, nytsch said:

Also, Dana Monique

I get she's not everyone's style, but I really don't know how she could've given anything more to that song.

i think she should've picked a different song + the band overpowered her a little bit on her biggest note. i noticed that happened in her battle too and it was really frustrating to me, but she won me over in the playoffs. i don't think her rendition earned 4 chairs but idk?

also is it weird that i think of you, @nytsch, and @Hsamid as like the same person 😭 (probably tbh)? same with @Daillon and @FloorWax, your vibes are so similar

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

jim ranger's "blue ain't your color" is genuinely so good omg... maybe i'm going too far with this but maybe he would've been a better winner than our favorite sandwich?

In my opinion:

Jim BA > Carter BA

Jim Battle < Carter Battle

Jim KO > Carter Ko

Jim Battle < Carter PO

Jim Semis < Carter Semis

Jim Finale > Carter Finale

So its pretty much even lol. But based on finale night only Jim 100% deserved it over Carter.

3 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

In my opinion:

Jim BA > Carter BA

Jim KO > Carter Ko

Jim Battle < Carter PO

Jim Semis < Carter Semis

So its pretty much even lol. But based on finale night only Jim 100% deserved it over Carter.

I'd have to rewatch some of these to completely say (I think I disagree on the KO, and maybe the PO although I think both were kinda weak there). But definitely agree with the last statement, WALH was 10/10.

I remember Blake saying that Jim didn't want to oversing the songs, obviously we can only judge based on what we saw, but I wonder if he could've given even more.

2 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

In my opinion:

Jim BA > Carter BA

Jim KO > Carter Ko

Jim Battle < Carter PO

Jim Semis < Carter Semis

ooh this is a good way to compare, lemme try:

BA: Jim

Battle: Carter (mainly bc of the battle partners, Larriah >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jim's battle partner)

KO: Jim > Carter

PO: Jim < Carter

Semis: Jim = Carter?

Finale: Jim > Carter

idk Carter just didn't stand out to me 😭 a lot of his performances felt like karaoke... like I feel like all of the other young winners (Sawyer, Brynn, Chevel) brought some originality / excitement to the songs they did?

also even if its said a million times it hasn't been said enough: Larriah deserved to win that battle. she was so incredibly polished and her vocals were stronger.

4 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

In my opinion:

Jim BA > Carter BA

Jim KO > Carter Ko

Jim Battle < Carter PO

Jim Semis < Carter Semis

I actually liked Jim's SF more. I love that he took a risk. Remember when you said something like, "Wait, is this the same Without You that Katie sang?" We weren't sure how well it was gonna work out, but it ended up giving him the PV over Ian. It was really really good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

I actually liked Jim's SF more. I love that he took a risk. Remember when you said something like, "Wait, is this the same Without You that Katie sang?" We weren't sure how well it was gonna work out, but it ended up giving him the PV over Ian. It was really really good.

yeah super impressive the way he swung for the fences with that one. and loved the backdrop, that massive rock really added to the performance :wub:

like we've had some genuinely strong country singers on the show and i think he's one of them. he has a massive voice

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

i think she should've picked a different song + the band overpowered her a little bit on her biggest note. i noticed that happened in her battle too and it was really frustrating to me, but she won me over in the playoffs. i don't think her rendition earned 4 chairs but idk?

also is it weird that i think of you, @nytsch, and @Hsamid as like the same person 😭 (probably tbh)? same with @Daillon and @FloorWax, your vibes are so similar

Yeah she did a generic "R&B powerhouse" choice, but country singers get away with that all the time, so not really faulting her there :stealth:

Same with Nutbush in the KOs, but I thought she nailed it anyway. The battles were kind of a wash that season so I just erased it from my memory lol.

You're saying @Hsamid and I seem like the same person? I mean, your other comparison makes perfect sense to me so I'll take your word for it :giggle:but in terms of like forum personality style (?), yeah I can see that.