Which songs would you “ban” from The Voice?

Dai

5 hours ago, peachfuz said:

i'm not a big fan of the idea that a singer can "put a song to rest".

Can't say this enough.

Sure, there are people who absolutely nail a song and give a 10/10, but that doesn't mean the song can't be sung by someone else just as well or better or interpreted in another way. I Want to Know What Love Is is the perfect example (Hunter, Chloe, and Rose's versions are all 9.5-10/10's in my book. Toneisha's audition is fantastic, too!)

But that being said, after a certain amount of times that a song is done (especially a song that is not done super well...), then it's time for it to go. I can agree with most of the choices mentioned. Diamonds and Love on the Brain are such eye rolls now and I do love both songs. Same with If I Ain't Got You - That's my go-to car ballad and everyone on the show does it better to me but it's so overstayed its welcome.

Some songs I don't wanna hear again are Dancing On My Own, Earned It, CREEP... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, BAN CREEP.

7 hours ago, Daillon said:

Most modern country songs (unless it’s for bussing purposes :P)

LMAO ! I’m here for it :giggle:

6 hours ago, Misirlou said:

As for Sheeran , he has "Tenerife Sea" which is a really good song, perfect for a singer-songwriter type of artist, yet nobody has touched it on the show.

I think it was a battle song on season 11, but maybe they were montaged ?

6 hours ago, Daillon said:

I love Adele (who doesn’t?), and she’s also one of my favorites, but the covers of her songs usually fall flat for me.

That’s definitely One and Only, or when Marybeth did All I ask 

Billie Eilish's entire discography. And that's for every freaking versión of the show, not just the USA's versión. I roll my eyes every time i hear her songs again and again and again...🤮🤮

EDIT: maybe not all songs, just the oversung ones, like "when the party's over", "lovely" etc.

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

One thing that's kinda on point with this thread is that I've always wanted them to ban a winner's audition song (at least for Blinds). No more Time After Time, Complicated, Torn, Try, Chandelier, etc.... in the blinds or maybe the whole show because I think it would be a really cool homage to those who have come before and obtained the dream of winning The Voice

In My Blood - Shawn Mendes 

As a major Shawn Mendes fan, it takes a lot for me to say that, but that song is very repetitive and not suitable for a singing competition setting. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Misirlou said:

"I Put A Spell on You" needs to go too. People have performed it a thousand times on the show and it still doesn´t feel fresh when a new version comes along.

I actually though Cami’s version was modern and different but I can see why some didn’t like it

6 hours ago, Misirlou said:

"I Put A Spell on You" needs to go too. People have performed it a thousand times on the show and it still doesn´t feel fresh when a new version comes along.

Cami brought new life into the song imo.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 8:00 AM, Gustavo527 said:

Billie Eilish's entire discography. And that's for every freaking versión of the show, not just the USA's versión. I roll my eyes every time i hear her songs again and again and again...🤮🤮

EDIT: maybe not all songs, just the oversung ones, like "when the party's over", "lovely" etc.

That’s taking it too far and honestly just feels like you don’t like Billie Eilish. I get that “when the party’s over” has been done a lot, but all the versions I’ve heard on the show have felt fresh and different. I don’t think I could ever get tired of “lovely,” but maybe that’s just me. 🤪 Regardless, getting rid of her entire discography isn’t an effective way to solve things when only one  or two of her songs are overdone on the show. 

We still need a battle of "lovely" on this version of TV. 

But like damn. All of these Billie songs have been done on the show at one point:

idontwannabeyouanymore

bad guy

ocean eyes

when the party's over

everything i wanted

lovely

wish you were gay

my future

And that's only from S16-S19

i think alanis morissette and avril lavigne songs should be strictly off-limits to anyone who don't know how to encapsulate the energy of said songs. reagan strange singing "complicated" with a saccharine smile on her face was about as jarring as kelsie watts' warm tone on an alanis song. and if you do decide to sing these songs, take notes from cassadee pope and kat robichaud, at least.

11 minutes ago, peachfuz said:

i think alanis morissette and avril lavigne songs should be strictly off-limits to anyone who don't know how to encapsulate the energy of said songs. reagan strange singing "complicated" with a saccharine smile on her face was about as jarring as kelsie watts' warm tone on an alanis song. and if you do decide to sing these songs, take notes from cassadee pope and kat robichaud, at least.

I think if you're not able to do it with the original arrangement, don't even try cause TPTB won't let you do your own thing, that's pretty much what happened to Kelsie

1 hour ago, Bk1234 said:

That’s taking it too far and honestly just feels like you don’t like Billie Eilish. I get that “when the party’s over” has been done a lot, but all the versions I’ve heard on the show have felt fresh and different. I don’t think I could ever get tired of “lovely,” but maybe that’s just me. 🤪 Regardless, getting rid of her entire discography isn’t an effective way to solve things when only one  or two of her songs are overdone on the show. 

Ok, i got carried way by my emotios the moment i wrote that. Yes, i'm not a Billie Eilish fan and i think some of her songs (not all of her songs, of course) are oversung a lot in the franchise, but i have to admit that some great performances around the world have been covers of her songs, i'm just tired of hearing them again and again. But yeah, that's my opinion of course, but i expressed it in a unnecesarily agressive way, especially considering that i have myself loved some performances of her songs. 

Anyway, thanks for actually replying to me instead of just giving me a "confused" reaction, i appreciate that 👍

• 2 years later...

Cuz I Love You by Lizzo - This is just a very tough song to pull off live overall and whenever anyone performs it, it's ALWAYS riddled with issues.

Most Ed Sheeran songs - They almost never make for great performances.

Sign of the Times - Okay maybe under the right vocalist, it could be a good song choice, but besides the D.R. vs Jackie battle it always ends up falling flat.

• Like 1

I feel that if someone got a Four Chair Turn with a specific song, the song should be suspended in auditions for the next few seasons, since I always feel the need to compare them to recent performances. Examples: Jerome Godwin, Casme.

Once more time has passed, they could potentially be lifted, since we could get another great audition of that song (See S22 auditions for examples)

12 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

It's a great song and a classic, but there's only so much you can do with "Superstition" without sounding karaoke.

Ooh good one, I roll my eyes whenever I see it as a song choice because it always bores me to death no matter what the artist does with it