Which songs would you “ban” from The Voice?

Dai

1 hour ago, nytsch said:

Agree on Shawn, although sometimes I don't mind it because the songs generally sound better without his voice on them 😂

But yeah, TYB is particularly bad.

Re: Adele, that's me @ All I Ask :stealth:

I'm sorry but I definitely rolled my eyes at Parijita's choice.

Not You Found Me though 😭

I´m not big on All I Ask, but I don´t mind it. One and Only is the eye-roller for me.

As for You Found Me, I just can´t get through the Fray, honestly.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, nytsch said:

Agree on Shawn, although sometimes I don't mind it because the songs generally sound better without his voice on them

You sure?? The contestants that usually cover his songs are not exactly that great:ph34rwave: 

Before someone comes at me, yeah, i know, there are exceptions, but these are the minority, tbh

Edited by Gustavo527

I'd ban "My Heart Will Go On" No one should even think about singing a note of that song, you won't even be able to do it justice. As seen with all past karaoke performances(cause that's what they were) If I had a choice between that song and literally the most boring song imaginable, I'm taking the boring song choice anyday.

"I Surrender" as well, unless if you are Kelly Clarkson(not to mention she was only 20 with laryngitis) don't even try. Although maybe a top-tier singer could do it enough justice as Coach Clarkson did.

Usually I would say ban her whole list, but if I think an elite singer could pull it off... then I may give a pass(although I will be as harsh as I would to anyone else) Not to mention it better be a well-picked song choice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gustavo527 said:

You sure?? The contestants that usually cover his songs are not exactly that great:ph34rwave: 

Before someone comes at me, yeah, i know, there are exceptions, but these are the minority, tbh

Yeah, I´d say I did like the Kimberly vs OneUp battle, but that´s it.

The thing is, Shawn is just bland to me. With some other male pop artists I can at least find something redeemable despite not being a fan of any of them: I like some Ed Sheeran songs from his debut album and he´s pretty good at live looping in his performances (the Stevie Wonder tribute was great). I don´t like Bieber, but I do kinda like "Love Yourself"; it´s a nice song. I do enjoy Lewis Capaldi´s rasp even if I don´t like his music. Harry Styles is fine.

With Shawn...I got nothing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

Probably because you don't have to be very good to do one :stealth:

That's just my way of saying that I particularly dislike Shawn's voice, at least on a tone level (and possibly on a vocal level as well), it doesn't take much to be better than him.

I could have sworn I remembered someone doing at least a decent version of Mercy, but maybe I'm just imagining since I can't find it.

Edit: Yeah maybe above, I think Kymberli was good there at least.

Edited by nytsch

7 minutes ago, QueenMae16 said:

I'd ban "My Heart Will Go On" No one should even think about singing a note of that song, you won't even be able to do it justice. As seen with all past karaoke performances(cause that's what they were) If I had a choice between that song and literally the most boring song imaginable, I'm taking the boring song choice anyday.

"I Surrender" as well, unless if you are Kelly Clarkson(not to mention she was only 20 with laryngitis) don't even try. Although maybe a top-tier singer could do it enough justice as Coach Clarkson did.

Usually I would say ban her whole list, but if I think an elite singer could pull it off... then I may give a pass(although I will be as harsh as I would to anyone else) Not to mention it better be a well-picked song choice. 

I called this a page ago!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nytsch said:

While I don't necessarily agree with the idea of "putting a song to rest" either, I really can't hear these in any other way:

Ain't No Way

Blue Bayou

POV

If even Wendy Moten couldn't do the first two as well imo, then I don't know who could.

Also, God's Country

Hasn't been done that many times and I'm not even that attached to Rose's version (at least, not on the level of those other 3), but I just don't like/want to hear it lol

I mean, Sisaundra and Alisan had two of the best auditions of all time with those songs, and it would be very hard to surpass both of them (I mean, Wendy was great with Ain’t No Way, but Sisaundra was still better). I highly praised both auditions on here very recently too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Yeah, I´d say I did like the Kimberly vs OneUp battle, but that´s it.

The thing is, Shawn is just bland to me. With some other male pop artists I can at least find something redeemable despite not being a fan of any of them: I like some Ed Sheeran songs from his debut album and he´s pretty good at live looping in his performances (the Stevie Wonder tribute was great). I don´t like Bieber, but I do kinda like "Love Yourself"; it´s a nice song. I do enjoy Lewis Capaldi´s rasp even if I don´t like his music. Harry Styles is fine.

With Shawn...I got nothing.

With Justin, Ed and Harry and even Lewis, at least some of their songs have some substance on it. Like, they are made with some effort. That is not the case with Shawn, his  discography is the blandest thing on pop music, just generic music made to attract influenciable teenagers. None of his songs are memorable, either. Harry, Ed and Justin, all have memorable songs, for good or bad reasons, but still. Even Lewis have "Someone You Loved", memorable song, for not so good reasons, but still.

• Like 1

While we're on that topic, maybe we could also ban Charlie Puth songs, under the "I don't get the appeal of this" category :stealth:

Not quite as egregious as Shawn, but still...

Also, has anyone done a Charlie Puth song well? I can't remember one, LB/Ciera I guess?

22 minutes ago, QueenMae16 said:

what do u think abt Jessie J’s cover? 

If they are gonna keep montaging performances with Wildest Dreams every time, they may as well better ban the song. 

At least Lana did it justice. I think that the battle from last season was montaged for a reason, and it was probably the best thing, especially after watching Eva's knockout. I don't even want to imagine the atrocities that Ansley and she did to that song

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

what do u think abt Jessie J’s cover? 

She's clearly not a Voice contestant, however she did do better than the actual contestants(wow such a surprise lol)

I'll say this, if you aren't:

celine dion reasons GIF

Then you better expect to fall from the cliff and hope for a safety net on the way down. I took a listen to Jessie's performance btw, and even juggernauts can be taken down by the wrath of the Goddess. 

Jessie's a talented singer in her own right though, I'll leave it at a positive note.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jork said:

I would ban Howie Day's "Collide" and FGL's "Stay", mostly because it's hard to believe the guy who sang those songs became the Voice's most marketable act.

[/

I didn't even knew that Morgan Wallen auditioned with "Collide" lol. When that song is named, i only think of this one 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, jork said:

I would ban Howie Day's "Collide" and FGL's "Stay", mostly because it's hard to believe the guy who sang those songs became the Voice's most marketable act.

[/

Even more baffling, he also sang a One Direction song.

Which, by the way, is a song I don't wanna hear again on this show to keep this in topic. Anything One Direction.

I'm pretty sure even if they weren't banned, it's hard to imagine anyone would sing "Collide", "Stay", "Story Of My Life", or "Hey Brother" on this show ever again. Those songs feel like period pieces and no one's going to reach into their bag and grab these.

Edited by jork

• 2 weeks later...

So I´ve been recently getting into Aerosmith (one classic rock band that I´ve never paid much attention to), really been digging their 70´s work, very Rolling Stones-esque, which is a good thing for me.

But I´d be more than happy if I never have to hear, either the original or a contestant singing it: 

"I DON´T WANNA CLOSE MY EYES, I DON´T WANNA FALL ASLEEP"

Edited by Misirlou

15 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

So I´ve been recently getting into Aerosmith (one classic rock band that I´ve never paid much attention to), really been digging their 70´s work, very Rolling Stones-esque, which is a good thing for me.

But I´d be more than happy if I never have to hear, either the original or a contestant singing it: 

"I DON´T WANNA CLOSE MY EYES, I DON´T WANNA FALL ASLEEP"

Yeah, this song definitely deserves to be banned. It’s been sung way too much and a lot of the performances were not very good. They also keep giving it to acts that are not rock

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

"Say You Won't Let Go" - I'm very tired of this song choice. Kyle still did fine with this cheesy song though.

Edited by allistr
  • Like 1