American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown

Alex95

32 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

This ranking was actually harder than S1. :dead:ย The Kelly and Tamyra dominance made it easy last round. :haha:

Lol yes I was saying the same thing after re-watching and ranking the performances. :haha:ย It's a much more stack season so it was so hard figuring rankings out (and know it will only get harder in future seasons). :haha:ย 

20. Clay Aiken "Someone Else's Star"

pSmpYkl.png

17.0/20

Watch here:ย https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpAqgpmz05Q

ย 

@JCย - 3/20

@FrogLenzenย - 8/20

@goofycilla90ย - 12/20

@Elliottย - 14/20

@Alex95ย - 16/20

@1234567890ย - 17/20

@Solarisย - 17/20

@~Tom~ย - 17/20

@taylorkatย - 18/20

@~*8Kay8*~ย - 18/20

@#jeahย - 19/20

@Weedy_Speedyย - 19/20

@sublymonalย - 19/20

@NGMย - 20/20

@Crisisย - 20/20

@*Lilyย - 20/20

@*Chrisย - 20/20

@*Amandaย - 20/20

@*Dianaย - 20/20

@Steven_ย - 20/20

@*Wallaceย - 20/20

ย 

JC

another iconic performance that i was obsessed with and so impressed this was country

ย 

Elliott

Hated it.

ย 

Alex

When I was rewatching the performances I had to double check that this one was actually advanced and I didn't just highlight the wrong performance. What a strange and random performance for the top 20. To think we could've had Solitaire here instead smh.

ย 

Tom

Great vocals but a little boring.

ย 

Kevin

What song is this? When did he sing this? Oh it's from country night. I assume it's a mopey country ballad. Pretty fitting for Clay, but zzzz.

ย 

Nico

Fine, nothing impressive

ย 

Crisis

This wasnโ€™t a bad performance by Clay; it just happens to be my least favorite in this rankdown. I felt there were better Clay performances that couldโ€™ve been here instead.

ย 

Lily

This is nice, I'm not sure it's a big favorite of mine from Clay, but as always he sounded lovely!

ย 

Chris

I do not care for Bryan White's songs and this performance is one of Clay's worst vocal performance - easily his worst one of performances in this Top 20.

ย 

Steven

Good vocals, but I thought this was kind of dull.

ย 

Wally

Ugh JC, why couldnโ€™t you have advanced the amazing โ€œSolitaireโ€ rather than "Someone Else's Starโ€? I think I would have put โ€œSolitaireโ€ in my Top 6 area or so.ย :broken: Sadly, I never cared for Clayโ€™s โ€œSomeone Else's Star" and this was an easy #20 ranking for me. I suggested this as a cut suggestion for mine and Derekโ€™s cut but we went for something else. Clay sang this well (as he always does) but I found this performance boring from him. Itโ€™s amongst one of my lesser faves from Clay and one I tend to forget about from him. :( But I also blame it on me not really knowing or caring for this song.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

19. Trenyce "The Power Of Love"

zlSw0NC.png

15.1/20

Watch here:ย https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU15dlm3vbo

ย 

@Elliottย - 5/20

@JCย - 5/20

@taylorkatย - 7/20

@*Lilyย - 9/20

@Alex95ย - 11/20

@~*8Kay8*~ย - 13/20

@goofycilla90ย - 14/20

@NGMย - 15/20

@*Amandaย - 15/20

@*Chrisย - 17/20

@FrogLenzenย - 17/20

@#jeahย - 18/20

@*Dianaย - 18/20

@Solarisย - 18/20

@Crisisย - 19/20

@1234567890ย - 19/20

@Steven_ย - 19/20

@*Wallaceย - 19/20

@Weedy_Speedyย - 20/20

@~Tom~ย - 20/20

@sublymonalย - 20/20

ย 

Elliott

Loved it.

ย 

JC

so good, she is perfection

ย 

Lily

Wow I kinda wasn't expecting this to make top 20 but I'm happy it did! I love this from Trenyce and it was actually one of my fave performances of hers at the time.

ย 

Alex

Though I'm a huge Trenyce fan, I can admit this performance is a bit rough around the edges. There's a few other Trenyce performances I would've rather seen here, but I still do like it and there are some great and special moments in there!

ย 

Nico

I have never cared about this song or performance (mostly bc of the song). Plus the vocal isn't completely on point

ย 

Chris

As someone with her vocal capability, her rendition of this iconic song was quite disappointing - it was a bit pitchy and not enjoying the arrangement. I am shocked that it is in the end, but not our fault that we had to include it as Let's Stay Together & Love Will Keep Us Together was cut from the Top 20.

ย 

Andy

I was expecting to like this a lot more than I did on rewatch. A little bit of a snoozefest

ย 

Crisis

I love Trenyce, I really do. However, while not bad, this is in the bottom half of her performances for me. As with Clay and Someone Elseโ€™s Star, I felt there were better performances of hers that couldโ€™ve been here.

ย 

Steven

It was just okay.

ย 

Wally

I was kinda surprised seeing Trenyceโ€™s "The Power Of Love" making it into the finals. I would rank this as around my 6th or 7th favorite from her? I would have loved having either โ€œLetโ€™s Stay Togetherโ€ or โ€œLove Will Keep Us Togetherโ€ in the place of this performance but oh well. With that said, I still really like this performance. I do love Trenyceโ€™s voice and thought she sang this with good emotion and a lot of power to it. A few notes werenโ€™t strong as they could be but this was still a very solid performance overall. This is such a stacked group of performances but one of my lesser faves of this Top 20, so Iโ€™ll rank this at #19.

ย 

Kevin

I'm just gonna pretend this is the tribute inclusion for "Let's Stay Together" because this performance was rather mediocre. Simon called it cabaret and I 100% agreed--it was a stage performance, no emotion and she didn't even sing it all that well. Trenyce is very talented and she gave some of the season's absolute best, but this performance wasn't one of them.

ย 

Tom

Why is this here? She was pitchy and I was distracted by her tapping her fingers on the microhone and giant mouth.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 18. Ruben Studdard "Baby I Need Your Loving"

ZCF1Zb9.png

13.5/20

Watch here:ย https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3cx30A2nNA

ย 

@taylorkatย - 5/20

@FrogLenzenย - 6/20

@NGMย - 7/20

@1234567890ย - 9/20

@Weedy_Speedyย - 9/20

@Crisisย - 12/20

@Solarisย - 13/20

@goofycilla90ย - 13/20

@*Dianaย - 14/20

@~Tom~ย - 14/20

@JCย - 14/20

@*Lilyย - 15/20

@Steven_ย - 15/20

@sublymonalย - 15/20

@*Wallaceย - 16/20

@Elliottย - 16/20

@~*8Kay8*~ย - 16/20

@Alex95ย - 17/20

@*Amandaย - 18/20

@*Chrisย - 19/20

@#jeahย - 20/20

ย 

Nico

Not a clean vocal, but has some energy to it that at least makes it better than the bunch of ballads we have here

ย 

Kevin

Kinda surprising how high I'm ranking this, since it was basically a filler pick for me last round. It was good, though.

ย 

Crisis

A fun performance from the Velvet Teddy Bear. It was definitely better than Joshโ€™s.

ย 

Tom

It's ok.

ย 

JC

same comments as any ruben performance

ย 

Lily

The Motown theme was perfect for Ruben and he didn't disappoint with this performance, really strong!

ย 

Steven

The song suited him well, and I liked his earnest delivery.

ย 

Wally

I am so #shook that Rubenโ€™s "Baby I Need Your Loving" made it very last minute into the finals group here. I love Ruben and his voice, and heโ€™s just such a lovable guy. Rubenโ€™s "Baby I Need Your Loving" is my least fave Ruben performance of this group although I still love this, but it will get my #16 ranking. I donโ€™t expect it to rank too high but thatโ€™s totally fine. But yeah, I love how Ruben sings this song, as he sings this in such a cool, natural and smooth way.:bobo: Motown music fits so well and in the pocket of his voice here. ย What i do really love about this performance is not only how natural this comes off but how much fun he was having. He just having the time of his life! :bobo: One of my (if not) favorite uptempo performances of his.

ย 

Elliott

Hated it.

ย 

Alex

Honestly, I feel like this performance should've been a bigger moment for Ruben than it was. Motown night was right up his alley. While it was a good performance, he should've knocked it out of the park. Instead, he was outshone by other people that night.

ย 

Chris

Just like his cover of "Kiss and Say Goodbye", I generally feel that all of Ruben's performance could be merge as one. And not sure if this performance would be one that I would have in the end game though.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

17. Ruben Studdard "Kiss And Say Goodbye"

qpUkSGe.png

13.4/20

Watch here:ย https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ1YKpA7nMI

ย 

@Solarisย - 6/20

@#jeahย - 8/20

@FrogLenzenย - 9/20

@goofycilla90ย - 9/20

@*Lilyย - 10/20

@*Amandaย - 10/20

@*Wallaceย - 10/20

@NGMย - 11/20

@JCย - 12/20

@sublymonalย - 12/20

@1234567890ย - 13/20

@Alex95ย - 14/20

@Crisisย - 14/20

@taylorkatย - 14/20

@*Chrisย - 18/20

@Weedy_Speedyย - 18/20

@Steven_ย - 18/20

@Elliottย - 18/20

@*Dianaย - 19/20

@~Tom~ย - 19/20

@~*8Kay8*~ย - 20/20

ย 

Andy

Holy sht I forgot how much I loved his voice. This was confident, smooth, and soulful and I loved it!

ย 

Lily

Another performance which was perfectly fit for him and he did an excellent job closing the show on this number.

ย 

Wally

i am absolutely stoked and VERYY happy that Rubenโ€™s "Kiss And Say Goodbye" made it through into this Top 20. I was certainly worried that without me & Derek moving it on, that it ย might have gotten cut or not get enough votes to make it through the Final 20 - but so glad to be wrong on both cases, especially as this was my Send Straight to Round 4 round. โค๏ธ This is one of my favorites from Ruben that I feel often gets forgotten about over the years I donโ€™t even know the original version of this song but I know itโ€™s a classic R&B track that is soo perfect for Ruben. Rubenโ€™s voice is so silky, smooth and soulful on this track. Listening to the song, it is really sad and heartbreaking.ย :broken: But Ruben sells and connects well to this. I love the groove he has and all of the vocal choices he makes here. I especially latter part of this performance where he sings: Pleasee darling donโ€™t you cry, letโ€™s just kiss and sayyy goodbye! and wonโ€™t you try try try try tryyyy, letโ€™s just kiss and sayyy goodbye!

ย 

Nico

Good vocal, that's about it

ย 

JC

he's consistent, but it can become boring

ย 

Alex

It's a good performance. I can't say it blew me away or anything, but it's solid. Deserving for top 20, but also deserving for bottom five of the top 20.

ย 

Crisis

I was going to rank this one lower, but I realized I liked it more than those below it while re-watching the performances. While not Rubenโ€™s best performances, itโ€™s one of his better ones.

ย 

Chris

Like I mention in my write-up for Baby I Need Your Loving, ย I generally feel that all of Ruben's performance could be merge as one. And not sure if this performance would be one that I would have in the end game though.

ย 

Kevin

This was around the time Ruben started becoming samey to me. I think this is considered one of his better ones, and it's ok I guess, but for me it was nothing to get excited about.

ย 

Steven

It was a fine performance. I don't think it was as great as the judges made it out to be.

ย 

Elliott

Hated it.

ย 

Tom

Ehhh.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

16. Clay Aiken "Somewhere Out There"

WkrtvOF.png

13.0/20

Watch here:ย https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhAzOwc5xY0

ย 

@JCย - 3/20

@FrogLenzenย - 4/20

@sublymonalย - 6/20

@Solarisย - 7/20

@~Tom~ย - 10/20

@1234567890ย - 12/20

@*Lilyย - 12/20

@Alex95ย - 13/20

@#jeahย - 13/20

@Steven_ย - 13/20

@*Wallaceย - 14/20

@*Chrisย - 15/20

@Weedy_Speedyย - 15/20

@Elliottย - 15/20

@NGMย - 17/20

@Crisisย - 17/20

@*Amandaย - 17/20

@*Dianaย - 17/20

@goofycilla90ย - 17/20

@~*8Kay8*~ย - 17/20

@taylorkatย - 20/20

ย 

JC

i still remember watching this live to this day

ย 

Tom

Always loved this one from Clay.

ย 

Lily

Lovely performance! I have bigger favorites from this evening so it wasn't as much of a standout for me but no doubt that it's a great vocal from Clay.

ย 

Alex

Simon's comments on it being a rat love song always crack me up :lmao:. While I actually don't think it's Clay's strongest vocal, I do think it was a good song choice for him and I liked how he performed it. Overall, a great job imo.

ย 

Steven

I like this song, and I thought it was a good choice for Clay.

ย 

Wally

I thought the Top 11 Movies Night episode was a very strong night of performances, and Iโ€™m glad all of Clayโ€™s, Rubenโ€™s, Kimberleyโ€™s and Trenyceโ€™s performances from that night made it into the finals. I did always love Clayโ€™s "Somewhere Out There" performance ย and feel itโ€™s kinda underrated / gets forgotten amongst his many power ballads. ย I do like how he starts off the song quietly. Then he builds it up nicely, and I especially love the part where he belts out: It helps to think we're sleeping underneath the same big sskkkyyyyy. That build up and power note! Thatโ€™s the BEST part and always stands out to me!ย :omg: He delivers some more great belting and softer subtle moments to close this out. Another great performance from Clay. I kinda feel bad placing it at #14 but I just love the others more.

ย 

Chris

There's no denying that Clay absolutely nailed the vocals of this song, but personally speaking I don't really care for this performance compare to other performances of his.

ย 

Kevin

"I just love songs about mice!" - Simon Cowell. Literally the only thing I remember about this performance.

ย 

Elliott

Hated it.

ย 

Nico

Good vocal, that's about it

ย 

Crisis

Another strong showing for Clay, but again, not one of my favorites from him.

ย 

Edited by Alex95

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 2 #20-16 Posted)