American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown

Alex95

38 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

I ranked as honestly as I could. :yes:ย I didnโ€™t do any ๐Ÿ’ business. ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

Same here - I may have bumped a few performances higher than I would have them but I wanted them to get a good spot overall.ย 

ย 

ย 

20. Ryan Starr "You Really Got Me"

oELuWDz.png

17.2/20

Watch here:ย https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6TbsRTAkck

ย 

@Elliottย - 4/20

@Solarisย - 4/20

@JCย - 9/20

@goofycilla90ย - 17/20

@sublymonalย - 17/20

@Alex95ย - 18/20

@*Dianaย - 19/20

@Steven_ย - 19/20

@1234567890ย - 20/20

@*Amandaย - 20/20

@*Chrisย - 20/20

@Crisisย - 20/20

@FrogLenzenย - 20/20

@~*8Kay8*~ย - 20/20

@*Lilyย - 20/20

@taylorkatย - 20/20

@~Tom~ย - 20/20

@*Wallaceย - 20/20

@Weedy_Speedyย - 20/20

ย 

Elliott

ICONIC... but for all the wrong reasons. :dead: I didn't even intend to get this in the final vote, but you all know I can't pass up the opportunity to be a troll. :giggle: Anyway, this performance was a hot mess / train wreck, and I loved everything about that. SCREAMING at her still getting enough votes to survive this performance.

ย 

Solaris

iconic trainwreck

ย 

JC

how did this betch get a song in hurr, not a threat to Kelly though so who cares

ย 

Andrew

I mean, itโ€™s a hot mess and I know my husband will rank it high, but I really canโ€™t justify ranking it any higher than this.

ย 

Alex

Lol I didn't even ironically appreciate it that much, it was just bad singing :dead:

ย 

Steven

This was a mess.

ย 

Victoria

Look, I love Ryan Starr and I have always had a soft spot for her, but this performance has no place in the finals at all. If we were going to advance a Ryan Starr performance at least it could have been "The Frim Fram Sauce"? This performance robbed another Kelly or Tamyra performance from being in the finals, but oh well. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't last too. :dead: The first Idol trainwreck so at least there is that? "You Really Got Me" by The Kinks is easily Ryan's worst performance and the worst performance in the Top 20. :yes: The banter between Simon and Ryan Starr was funny to watch though.

ย 

Chris

A memorable performance for all the wrong reasons.

ย 

Lily

Lolduh. All for a trainwreck, but a very obvious choice for #20! This went off the rails so many times I lost count.

ย 

Wally

This was a fun hot mess trainwreck performance but I am disgusted this is in the Top 20 over some actual good or great performances that could have been here instead. We could have had RJโ€™s Arthurโ€™s Theme, another Justin performance, another Kelly performanceโ€ฆ. or even Ryanโ€™s actual best performance of โ€œFirm Farm Sauceโ€ here instead. Any of those or something else would have been better. Ryanโ€™s vocals were a hot mess with all of that shouting and screaming. She sounded so painful on this, omg. :dead: She looked really hot, as always though. An easy #20 here.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

19. RJ Helton "Lately"

LeZfCif.png

15.5/20

Watch here:ย https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzR7yNaMhPo

ย 

@Solarisย - 5/20

@JCย - 8/20

@Crisisย - 9/20

@goofycilla90ย - 9/20

@Weedy_Speedyย - 12/20

@*Lilyย - 15/20

@Elliottย - 15/20

@*Wallaceย - 16/20

@1234567890ย - 16/20

@*Amandaย - 18/20

@~Tom~ย - 18/20

@~*8Kay8*~ย - 18/20

@Alex95ย - 19/20

@sublymonalย - 19/20

@FrogLenzenย - 19/20

@taylorkatย - 19/20

@*Chrisย - 19/20

@Steven_ย - 20/20

@*Dianaย - 20/20

ย 

JC

stunning betch, gorgeous voice, his handsome face is a plus ๐Ÿ˜‹

ย 

Lily

His best performance! His voice sounded really nice on this and made him a fair winner of the Wild Card round.

ย 

Elliott

RJ's best performance, imo.

ย 

Wally

Iโ€™m happy to see RJ having some representation in the Season 1 finals of this game, as i always liked and was a fan of RJโ€™s. I love this song, โ€œLatelyโ€ and thought RJ did a great job with this performance. I love how clear his vocals are here and he built up the song and showcased some good power vocals. RJ did prove himself that he should be in the finals after this performance (though I was sad/bitter that Kelli Glover missed out at the same time). I would have preferred his โ€œArthurโ€™s Themeโ€ to be in the finals instead but not mad at โ€œLatelyโ€ being here as this was my 2nd favorite of his.

ย 

Victoria

This is in my opinion RJ Helton's best performance. Many people say it's "Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)", but this performance made me take not of RJ. After his abysmal performance in Group 3 he failed to advance and got a spot in the Wildcard Round. He wiped the floor with everyone with "Lately' by Stevie Wonder. There was no question who should advance after that and the judges rewarded him with the final spot in the Top 10. I have fond memories of listening to "Lately" on American Idol: Greatest Moments. I'm glad RJ has one performance in the finals at least. โค๏ธ

ย 

Alex

I really don't have a single thing in the world to say about RJ Helton. Congrats to his fans for getting a performance of his here? I personally would've replaced it with countless others, but whatevs.

ย 

Andrew

This is his best performance so, for varietyโ€™s sake, Iโ€™m fine that itโ€™s here but again, Iโ€™d rather have Kellyโ€™s โ€œThink Twiceโ€

ย 

Chris

The performance was not terrible per Season 1 standard but I would not have it in this Top 20 plus it doesn't really measure compare to the other performances.

ย 

Steven

This was a very underwhelming performance with nothing special about it.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

18. Christina Christian "The Glory of Love"

yiUd4dW.png

15.3/20

Watch here:ย https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw2CN4egC-Y

ย 

ย 

@goofycilla90ย - 2/20

@Alex95ย - 9/20

@JCย - 11/20

@~Tom~ย - 12/20

@taylorkatย - 15/20

@Steven_ย - 15/20

@*Amandaย - 16/20

@FrogLenzenย - 16/20

@~*8Kay8*~ย - 16/20

@*Wallaceย - 17/20

@Weedy_Speedyย - 17/20

@*Lilyย - 17/20

@*Dianaย - 17/20

@Elliottย - 17/20

@*Chrisย - 18/20

@Crisisย - 19/20

@Solarisย - 19/20

@1234567890ย - 19/20

@sublymonalย - 20/20

Alex

I adore Christina but I much rather would've had "At Last" or "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" here. This is a lovely performance though and it's criminal she got sent home after it.

ย 

JC

less of a threat than ANS, so I guess I'll put this one higherย :giggle:

ย 

Steven

This was a pretty performance, and she did the uptempo part nicely too.

ย 

Wally

This was such a pretty performance from Christina. The soft beginning was so pretty and stunning, and I really enjoyed her vocals there. โค๏ธ She did have some nerves there but it worked for me here. Then I enjoyed the fun she had when the song picked up. She seemed like a natural there in this era of music. Itโ€™s such a shame she was eliminated after this as she totally deserved to go further. :/ Iโ€™m pleased this made it into the Top 20 even if I didnโ€™t vote for it.

ย 

Lily

Truly a lovely performance and a shame this was her last in the competition!

ย 

Elliott

I don't remember this. We should've had another Nikki performance (Black Velvet? Edge of Seventeen? IJS.) or The Frim Fram Sauce here in its place.

ย 

Chris

Not her best performance but it was not her worst either; I always enjoyed the simplicity of her performance on this song.

ย 

Sola

paaaaaaass

ย 

Victoria

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I feel like Christina Christian only deserved one spot in the finals with "Ain't No Sunshine", but if Ryan can have one then surely Christina can have two.ย :haha: It was Big Band night and Christina sang "The Glory Of Love" by Benny Goodman. Christina has a heavy vibrato and truthfully it only really suited her on "Ain't No Sunshine". This was fine and Christina always seemed like a sweetheart. :wub: She is still one of the most naturally beautifully contestants to ever do the show. Simon had such a crush on her. :giggle:

ย 

Andrew

If Christina was going to have a second performance in the Top 20 it should have been "At Last". This performance was fine, but far from memorable for me.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

17. Nikki McKibbin "I'm The Only One"

ulWwhxl.png

14.4/20

Watch here:ย https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCpHt-Nkbf4

ย 

@Elliottย - 2/20

@Weedy_Speedyย - 7/20

@sublymonalย - 7/20

@*Dianaย - 12/20

@JCย - 14/20

@*Amandaย - 15/20

@FrogLenzenย - 15/20

@goofycilla90ย - 15/20

@~Tom~ย - 16/20

@Steven_ย - 16/20

@*Chrisย - 16/20

@Alex95ย - 17/20

@Crisisย - 17/20

@Solarisย - 17/20

@1234567890ย - 17/20

@taylorkatย - 17/20

@~*8Kay8*~ย - 17/20

@*Wallaceย - 18/20

@*Lilyย - 18/20

Elliott

Melissa Ethridge handwrote Nikki a letter thanking her for singing a song by an openly gay singer in 2002! We have no choice but to stan! Also Nikki McKibbin, S1 Top 4 night is still one of the most Queen Sh*t nights ever. The way that the judges ragged on her as the weakest vocalist only to come out and be the only one that evening to turn in two great performances? Legendary. Don't even get me started on how she shouldn't have been in the B2 when Justin was the clear eliminee that week.

ย 

Andrew

Not as good as Mary Jane, but still good. Nikki definitely aced the song choices on Top 4 night. Of the four contestants, she was the only one that didnโ€™t stumble on either performance. One could argue she knew herself as an artist better than the others.

ย 

JC

so is she country or rock, this is strange, but it's better than her other performance so i'll put it lower

ย 

Steven

This was a great song choice for her and she gave a solid performance.

ย 

Chris

This was a great performance but it just does not measure up to the other performance, for me.

ย 

Alex

I think the song has been done much better on the show. This is definitely one of Nikki's stronger performances...but sadly that's not saying much lol. I'm glad "Mary Jane" is higher because I think it's much better.

ย 

Victoria

First off, let me start by saying, RIP Nikki McKibbin. :broken: I can't believe I am saying this about someone that I have known about for over 15 years. :( Nikki had a up and down journey on Idol and she really only had two great performances and they both made the finals. She peaked during the right time where everyone else turned in a dud or two. ๐Ÿ‘€ "I'm The Only One" by Melissa Ethridge was the perfect song for her and Nikki did her thing on it. This placement is deserved and it's not out of sympathy which I appreciate. Rest easy, Nikki. โค๏ธ

ย 

Wally

I think itโ€™s well known here, I was never really much of a Nikki fan (though her death really devastated me). But I can admit she did have a really solid night on the Final 4 episode for sure. This took me years to admit butโ€ฆ. I got there. I did enjoy all of Nikkiโ€™s performances on the Final 4 and 3 nights. I feel like "I'm The Only One" or โ€œBlack Velvetโ€ was my 2nd favorite from herโ€ฆ.. i donโ€™t know which but Iโ€™m cool with ITOO being here. This was a great song choice that suited Nikki. She was sultry and hot while performing this. Her vocals sounded solid and I liked the attitude she put in here. Havenโ€™t heard this in years but I do appreciate this more than I remember. I feel bad placing this at #18 but I just love the other performances I have higher more.

ย 

Lily

Maybe 2002 me is still a little bitter hence the lower rankings. Lol but all seriousness, Nikki had a good showing on this week and this would be one of my favorite performances of hers.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

16. Justin Guarini "Get Here"

QPVPqaC.png

13.7/20

Watch here:ย https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnIzAuevpR8

ย 

@goofycilla90ย - 4/20

@1234567890ย - 5/20

@*Chrisย - 6/20

@FrogLenzenย - 7/20

@*Wallaceย - 9/20

@Solarisย - 9/20

@JCย - 10/20

@sublymonalย - 14/20

@Crisisย - 15/20

@*Lilyย - 16/20

@*Dianaย - 16/20

@~Tom~ย - 17/20

@Steven_ย - 17/20

@taylorkatย - 18/20

@Weedy_Speedyย - 19/20

@*Amandaย - 19/20

@~*8Kay8*~ย - 19/20

@Alex95ย - 20/20

@Elliottย - 20/20

ย 

Victoria

I'm not expecting this song to rank high at all, but it's a victory to get a Justin Guarini performance in the finals in the first place. It was his signature song as I think he performed it multiple times during his run and maybe re-listening to his recording of "Get Here" on American Idol: Greatest Moments and his self-titled debut album has given me soft spot for this performance. Love it or hate it, "Get Here" by Yolanda Adams will always be his signature song. I personally loved it and I'm glad I was able to contribute in getting at least one Justin performance in the finals when Ryan had one. :haha: So like I said, I don't expect it to do well in the final ranking, but getting it here was a victory in itself. โค๏ธ

ย 

Chris

This performance is incredibly underrated around here so I am ranking it in this spot as I believe it deserves a good placement as it was Justin's best performance. Also, I think Justin should have had more than just one performance in this Top 20.ย 

ย 

Wally

As I (and Victoria) have said many times this round, I do feel that Justin Guarini is super underrated and doesnโ€™t get the credit he deserves on here. Not saying heโ€™s an all-time great contestant or quite on Kellyโ€™s and Tamyraโ€™s level, but outside of those twoโ€ฆ I do think heโ€™s certainly one of the better contestants of Season 1 (alongside Christina). I do wish he could have had another performance in the finals (and think he deserved one more - any of Ribbon in the Sky/For Once in My Life/Route 66/Letโ€™s Stay Together), but I am grateful โ€œGet Hereโ€ made it here.ย 

ย 

I do love โ€œGet Hereโ€ from Justin and do certainly consider this his best and signature performance. ย I thought he sang this song really well. He poured a lot of heart, soul and passion into this performance. I always loved that There are Hills and Mountains between us part, for some reason. I do love his vocal range he showcased with his lower notes, his belting and his falsetto notes at the end, was especially great. :omg: A fantastic performance. I wish I could rank this higher than #9, but I canโ€™t rank the performances above lower either. Iโ€™m not expecting a high ranking but hopefully it can escape being in the Bottom 2? #lowstandards

ย 

JC

this was okay but I think his only fans are Victoria and Priscilla hereย :giggle:

ย 

Andrew

This might deserve to be higher but I just found Justin fairly boring during Season 1. I actually like Justin a lot more nowadays than I did back then, but I think because he has a sense of humour and isnโ€™t being pushed by the judges, but this was definitely a very soulful vocal performance that deserves to be in the Top 20.

ย 

Lily

A really good, soulful vocal from Justin. Watching this straight after so many heavy-hitter female performances (and Ryan Starr), it wasn't as big a standout to me but no denying a great showing!

ย 

Steven

He had some nice vocals, but I found this to be a boring performance.

ย 

Alex

Lol I almost cut it at final cuts cause I thought it would be funny for the original runner-up to have no performances in the end. But then I figured a different performance of his would advance anyway so there's no point. Anyways, Justin is boring as hell just like this performance. It felt like a fine trip to a karaoke bar.

ย 

Elliott

I wish I didn't remember this.

ย 

Edited by Alex95

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 1 - 20-16 Posted)

Lol thank goodness โ€œYou Really Got Meโ€ came in last, as I feared it could have crept from being last. And 11 #20 rankingโ€ฆ. :dead:ย 

ย 

I would have had โ€œLatelyโ€ and โ€œThe Glory of Loveโ€ rank a little higher but not too upset at those rankings either. And Elliott better not complain about Firm Farm Sauce when he could have advanced that instead of YRGM. ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

ย 

Fine with โ€œIโ€™m the Only Oneโ€ ranking and pleased Nikkiโ€™s other one ranked higher as well.

ย 

Lily and I pretty much agreeing on all of our rankingsโ€ฆ. until "Get Hereโ€ showed up. :dead:ย I do feel we will agree on everything else. :haha:ย 

ย 

But actuallyโ€ฆ.. kinda pleased โ€œGet Hereโ€ made it to 16th, as I was expecting it to land much lower in the 18th to 20th range. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ A #win honestly. I do agree with everything Victoria and Chris said, of course. I wish I could have ranked it higher to help it out buttt I couldnโ€™t put my Top 8 performances lower. :haha:

ย 

JC with the strategic rankings thoughโ€ฆ..chileeeโ€ฆ. Iโ€™m scared to see his tank rankings of Tamyraโ€™s performances. ๐Ÿ™‚

18 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

That brings us to 13 Kelly and Tamyra performances left......and 2 performances between the other 28 left :dead:ย 

Lmaoo this is hardly surprising. :dead:ย 

ย 

Wouldn't be surprised if they make up the entire Top 13 with Nikki & Christina's performances at 14th and 15th. :haha:ย 

8 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

Fair rankings so far. :yes:ย 

ย 

Itโ€™ll be interesting to see how the Kelly and Tamyra performances ranked against each other.

Lol I kinda hope we have a back and forth battle between them . :haha:ย 

29 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

JC with the strategic rankings thoughโ€ฆ..chileeeโ€ฆ. Iโ€™m scared to see his tank rankings of Tamyraโ€™s performances. ๐Ÿ™‚

innocent angel GIF by Tinashe

-I get that YRGM is a funny meme performance, but I don't think Ryan was good enough to have any performance in the top 20 tbh.

-Unlike Justin RJ *is* underrated, Lately isn't my #1 from him but wish it could rank higher since I can't remember if he has another performance here.

-With the exception of ANS I guess, I don't care about Christina. Nostalgia makes people think she's better than she was, I think.

-ITOO is my favorite Nikki performance.

-Already commented on Get Here.

20. You Really Got Meย (I ranked 20)โ€” This one was an easy last place for me. I donโ€™t dislike Ryan, but it was the weakest of the bunch.ย 
ย 

19. Latelyย (I ranked 18)โ€” I wasย surprised to see RJ wind up with a song in the top 20, but this was definitely one of his strongest. ย I always liked the sound of his voice and thought he was adorable.
ย 

18. The Glory of Loveย (I ranked 16)โ€” I had actually forgotten about this performance until rewatchย which is why it ended up so low. Her voice sounds nice on it, though. Like a few others have said, I would have rather seen โ€œAt Lastโ€ or โ€œAinโ€™t No Mountainโ€ as a second showing for her (which probably would have creeped a few places higher), but this performance was also solid.

ย 

17. Iโ€™m the Only Oneย (I ranked 17)โ€” I love this song, and it suited Nikkiโ€™s voice very well. I probably would rather have seen โ€œBlack Velvetโ€ as her 2nd appearance, but I still prefer this one to the boysโ€™ performances and Ryan.ย 
ย 

16. Get Hereย (I ranked 19)โ€” I donโ€™t dislike Justin, but I wasnโ€™t crazy about this song any of the times he performed it. I think he had better showings. The Top 20 is super stacked, and while I hated putting him all the way at the bottom I really couldnโ€™t justify moving him any higher.ย 
ย 

No huge surprises so far, but I think things are going to start to get interesting and a little more unpredictable.