American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown

Alex95

5 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

My sister warned me based on her interactions with him. A suspect a warning will be in order. Your cuteness will not work today. 🙂

Not a cute look, I agree!

- As fun of a trainwreck as You Really Got Me was, this was an easy last place. I would've had Frim Fram Sauce in place of it if any of Ryan's performances had to be in the Top 20.

- I was hoping Lately would've placed higher, as it's my favorite RJ performance. I rooted for Angela to get the WC spot, but RJ had the best performance that night and he definitely earned it. :yes:

- I liked Christina and didn't mind The Glory of Love, but outside of YRGM, I didn't like it as much as the other performances here hence the low ranking.

- I don't have much to say about I'm The Only One except that it's definitely one of Nikki's best performances.

- I'm not the biggest Justin fan, but Get Here is probably his signature performance. I guess this is a good spot for it. 🤷‍♂️

15. Nikki McKibbin "Mary Jane"

dO2OWxa.png

12.9/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPfIgnRwDMU

@Elliott - 1/20

@sublymonal - 6/20

@goofycilla90 - 6/20

@Solaris - 8/20

@1234567890 - 11/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 12/20

@Alex95 - 13/20

@FrogLenzen - 13/20

@*Chris - 13/20

@JC - 13/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 14/20

@*Wallace - 15/20

@~Tom~ - 15/20

@taylorkat - 16/20

@*Amanda - 17/20

@Crisis - 18/20

@*Diana - 18/20

@Steven_ - 18/20

@*Lily - 19/20

Elliott

Obviously not the best performance of season one, but I'm ranking it at #1 because of my love for both Nikki and Alanis. ❤️ Nikki truly was a groundbreaking contestant for Idol even back in season one, and her death has hit me hard. :(

Andrew

I’m ranking this fairly high because I think a lot of people will bus Nikki’s performances. People always complain that Nikki outlasted Tamyra, but her two best performances also came on the night Tamyra was eliminated and performed “New Attitude” and “Feel the Fire”, which were both objectively worse than Nikki’s two performances. I mean, I get that Tamyra’s track record should speak for itself, but she had an off night and I think people take it out on Nikki.

Alex

I actually do think this is a really strong performance! It's the best Nikki's ever sounded and she really connected to the song emotionally. There's so many strong performances here so it was difficult for me to rank it any higher, but this is the first performance that has come up that I genuinely love.

Chris

I absolutely loved this song, and I always enjoyed this performance by Nikki which is one of my favourite of hers. I am glad that we were able to have it in the Top 20 for us to remember her ❤️

JC

I want to respect her memory by being honest, I feel like this sounds a bit offkey so really don't like this, so I guess I'll put it higher :giggle:

Wally

As I mentioned in my other Nikki write-up, Nikki had a strong Final 4 night. This was the first time I had heard of "Mary Jane" and I did enjoy Nikki’s version of it. This was a great song choice that suited her and showcased her voice in its best light. She sounded so pretty on the softer beginning part. Her belting was never my favorite but I really liked it here and thought she sounded great here. I do think of this as my favorite Nikki performance, so I’m happy this made it in the finals.

Steven

The song suited her well, but it's not one of my favorites.

Lily

A good performance of hers to make the top 20. While I wasn't the biggest fan of Nikki in the season she had a great rasp on songs like this which allowed her to be more in her element.

14. Tamyra Gray "Touch Me In The Morning"

i3A992R.png

11.7/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7b5aEl6Elo

@*Diana - 6/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 6/20

@FrogLenzen - 8/20

@taylorkat - 9/20

@Alex95 - 10/20

@Crisis - 10/20

@Solaris - 10/20

@~Tom~ - 10/20

@Steven_ - 11/20

@1234567890 - 12/20

@goofycilla90 - 12/20

@*Wallace - 13/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 13/20

@*Amanda - 13/20

@*Lily - 13/20

@sublymonal - 15/20

@JC - 15/20

@*Chris - 17/20

@Elliott - 19/20

Alex

I'm not surprised this is the bottom Tamyra performance. It's an amazing performance, but it's not exactly on the level of her other ones. I always remember liking it but not loving it, but just revisiting it now I actually loved it any more! I wish it did a little bit better, but it's still not a top favorite of mine from Tamyra.

Steven

Effortlessly superb!

Wally

Tamyra’s first performance of the finals! :wub: Gosh, I loved all of Tamyra’s performances (except “New Attitude,” obviously) so it’s insanely difficult for me to rank them all. But I guess "Touch Me In The Morning" is my least favorite performance of her of the 6 here and is the one I’m fine with ranking at #13 for now. I love how silky, smooth and soulful Tamyra’s vocals are on this performance. She has this sultry feel to her vocals at the start of this. Then I love how she sings the chorus in a higher register vocal, while still sounding flawless. :wub: But then OMGG that slayage big note Tamyra hits at the end of this? YESS! :omg: This was just SO GOOD.

Lily

Commanded the live stage with that voice! A brilliant first performance from Tamyra in the finals round.

Andrew

On a basic level, I do love this song and I think Tamyra did a great job with it. I’m actually surprised only one other person has ever sang it on the show considering how many Motown weeks we’ve had over the show’s history.

JC

she would probably be my fave if not for Kelly because this was nice, but threat to Kelly so sorry even though wifey Victoria will probably want to castrate me

Chris

My least favourite performance of Tamyra included in this Top 20.

Elliott

I don't remember this.

13. Kelly Clarkson "Don't Play That Song"

vsghtYj.png

11.1/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMadCCrPxwA

@JC - 1/20

@FrogLenzen - 3/20

@~Tom~ - 4/20

@Alex95 - 7/20

@goofycilla90 - 7/20

@Steven_ - 9/20

@taylorkat - 10/20

@sublymonal - 11/20

@*Diana - 11/20

@Solaris - 12/20

@*Wallace - 14/20

@*Amanda - 14/20

@*Lily - 14/20

@Elliott - 14/20

@1234567890 - 15/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 15/20

@*Chris - 15/20

@Crisis - 16/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 18/20

JC

love this song, Kelly has a damn diva voice, forgot that it was this spectacular, such a queen :wub:

Alex

I was actually a bit surprised and disappointed to find out this was the bottom Kelly performance. I think this is actually one of her best. It's an extremely mature performance and very fully realized. Such a well done job by Kelly!

Steven

The song suited her well, and she delivered a strong performance.

Andrew

What can I say, just another great Kelly performance.

Wally

Goshhh, all of these performances in my personal Top 14 are all performances I absolutely love and ranking them is the absolute hardest. :lmao: I guess I am placing Kelly’s "Don't Play That Song" here at #14, literally because it’s the performance I least go back on - though I hate ranking it this low. :haha: I didn’t know this song before Kelly sang it, so I always associate this song whenever i hear it. I love how soulful and powerful her vocals are here. She sounded fantastic. I love the attitude and sass she brought. My favorite part is probably where she belts out: You Lied! You Lied! YOUUU LLLIIIIEEEEDDDDD in the middle of the performance. :wub: I also love how she belted out that last YOUU LIIEEDD belt at the end of this too.

Lily

Love this song! It's maybe not in my top group of Kelly performances, but then jeez, Kelly knocked it out of the park so many times in the season that this is by no means disrespect to this performance. It's a great performance in a sea of brilliant performances for me.

Elliott

ICONIC.

Chris

Always loved this performance but it's my least favourite Aretha Franklin's song she performed on the show. Can we also talk about her most recent cover of this song? It's so good; I would be here for an album where she covers of bunch of Aretha Franklin's songs. 

12. Tamyra Gray "If I Were Your Woman"

plH3TVT.png

10.7/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJcNp9YfjDg

@*Diana - 4/20

@goofycilla90 - 5/20

@~Tom~ - 6/20

@FrogLenzen - 6/20

@Solaris - 7/20

@1234567890 - 7/20

@*Wallace - 10/20

@*Lily - 10/20

@*Chris - 10/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 11/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 11/20

@*Amanda - 12/20

@taylorkat - 12/20

@Crisis - 13/20

@Steven_ - 14/20

@Alex95 - 16/20

@sublymonal - 16/20

@Elliott - 16/20

@JC - 17/20

Wally

Yess, I loved Tamyra Gray’s "If I Were Your Woman" performance a lot. :wub: I hate ranking this at #10 as  I want to rank it higher but this is all so difficult. This was one of the many Tamyra performances I was bossed with listening to, as I just really love her voice so much. I love how Tamyra brought os much soul, sultriness and confidence in this performance. Her lower register is so strong. But then how she builds up and belts the song out? Ugh SO amazing!  I really love how she sings that whole chorus. :omg: A part that really stands out to me is how Tamyra sings:

Because she came first darling

Will she hang on your mind

You're a part of me

And you don't even know it

I'm what you need

But I'm too afraid to show it

If I were your woman

It’s all so amazing. :omg:

Lily

Such a powerful/emotional song and Tamyra totally sold it as always!

Chris

Another performance of Tamyra Gray that's quite underrated as I feel we are quick to praise her for her obvious performances but we tend to forget performances like this one.

Steven

Really great performance I feel like I'm ranking too low. I guess I'd rather re-watch the performances ranked above it if I had to choose.

Alex

Obviously such a lovely performance and sung to perfection. I ranked it on the lower end just because I greatly prefer Tamyra's more upbeat performances. However, that's nothing against this performance which is still amazing.

Andrew

I didn’t really mean to rank this low, there’s just so many other good performances and I didn’t really remember this one until I went back and watched it.

Elliott

Syesha did it better.

JC

big threat to Kelly although some iffy vocal moments but well known song, hmm not sure where to put this

11. Kelly Clarkson "Without You"

SuRuLNz.png

10.6/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gkcj6vcWZc

@sublymonal - 4/20

@JC - 4/20

@Solaris - 6/20

@Elliott - 6/20

@*Wallace - 7/20

@taylorkat - 7/20

@1234567890 - 8/20

@*Diana - 8/20

@Steven_ - 8/20

@*Amanda - 10/20

@*Chris - 11/20

@Alex95 - 12/20

@Crisis - 12/20

@*Lily - 12/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 14/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 16/20

@FrogLenzen - 18/20

@~Tom~ - 19/20

@goofycilla90 - 19/20

Andrew

It’s sort of funny going back and watching the judges comments on this performance  knowing that they were now trying to get in her in the finale with Tamyra gone. Still, I think this was a great performance of a really tough song that even some of the best Idol vocalists have struggled with.

JC

i literally cannot figure out how to rank her, she is amazing and I do not really care which one of her amazing performances win, long live Queen Kelly, our inaugural and forever AI champion 🙇‍♂️

Solaris

I am going to pretend this is the results reprisal of this which was better.

Elliott

ICONIC.

Wally

"Without You" was one of the many amazing performances from Kelly. I can’t remember if I knew this song or not before Kelly sang it (thinking not), but wow this was such a vocal masterclass. I love how Kelly starts off the song so soft and low-key with a rich lower register. Then a minute in with her first, I CAN’T LLIIIIVVVEEE belting note…. I am slayed and impressed! :omg: I also love her build up of the end of the second verse too and her final oooh yeah no no no no noooo ad-libs, are amongst my favorite parts. This is such a dffuclt song to sing, but Kelly nailed it. I know the results show version gets even more love, as that was even more impressive - but the original performance was outstanding too. ❤️

Steven

This isn't an easy song to sing, but Kelly rose to the occasion and showed off the power of her voice.

Chris

I thought she did a good job with this song but the Results show performance >>> this one. 

Alex

I think she might've been sick around this point...or just all these amazing, belting performances in a row tired her out. It was a bit rough around the edges, but I'm never a stickler for perfect pitch every performance. The magic of this performance is the emotion. She connected so well with it and really moved me. Of course, even though it wasn't flawless, she still sang it really well. And man, can she belt!

Lily

I feel like I've said this with a lot of my Kelly writeups so I'm repeating myself now lol. But an incredibly tough song and she dominated it with ease. Super impressive as always.

Edited by Alex95

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 1 - 15-11 Posted)
2 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

Kelly’s “Without You” missing out on the Top 10 surprised me, its not the result show version so I guess it makes sense. 🤷‍♂️

I am not surprised at all; I think we all prefer her results show one so we kept comparing it to that one. 

4 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Christina Christian sneaking into the top 10 even though she was in the top 14 alone against all Tamyra and Kelly performances :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: 

And I am here for it ❤️ 

Just now, *Chris said:

Actually surprised that `Don't Play That Song' showed up, already. I thought I was going to be in the minority with my ranking; I kept going back and forth on it. 

It just made me think of Kree’s version of it tbh  :ph34rwave: