Most Risky Song Choices

QueenCami

What song choices do you think were the most risky? By risky, I don't necessarily mean poorly chosen songs; I mean songs that were really out there and surprising for the contestant. They can be risks that paid off or ones that flopped! I'll start off with one of the more obvious examples (aka the only one I can think of now):

Rose Short - God's Country :clap:

• Like 5

I´ll start with these:

• Sarah Grace - Dog Days are Over (Didn´t really care for her, but the song choice was quite risky. The song itself is hard AF and doesn´t cater to her style at all. That performance was kind of a mess, but she survived that week, so props to her on that)
  • Dave Fenley - Use Me (A mess ,of course, but it was really entertaining, not to mention a huge risk as well, given that he went completely out of his country comfort zone. He managed to survive as well)
  • Every one of Noah Mac´s performances. That guy took a risk every single week. Props to him.
  • Like 12

1 minute ago, Misirlou said:

Every one of Noah Mac´s performances. That guy took a risk every single week. Props to him.

To elaborate a bit on this... 
His performance of “River” was so cool and impressive! While it wasn’t technically on point (it wasn’t terribly pitchy though), the arrangement felt so fresh. The stage looked AMAZING and that drum solo was so so cool!!!!! 🤩 It’s a shame he landed in the Instant Save and was eliminated after it... 😢

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

To elaborate a bit on this... 
His performance of “River” was so cool and impressive! While it wasn’t technically on point (it wasn’t terribly pitchy though), the arrangement felt so fresh. The stage looked AMAZING and that drum solo was so so cool!!!!! 🤩 It’s a shame he landed in the Instant Save and was eliminated after it... 😢

I honestly thought he would be the third PV through to the finale since he got two iTunes bonuses that week. However, I don't think it matters since he underperformed in his social media numbers if I can recall.

Edited by Gmm99
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gmm99 said:

I honestly thought he would be the third PV through to the finale since he got two iTunes bonuses that week. However, I don't think it matters since he underperformed in his social media numbers.

I can see why, he really shined in his studios, especially “Electric Love.” :wub: 

Tessanne Chin - Underneath It All (Maybe it’s more unexpected than risky but I think it deserves a mention)

Amy Vachal - Hotline Bling (she needed the save in the Playoffs and she flipped a Drake song the next week, a big risk but it paid off)

24 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

I´ll start with these:

• Sarah Grace - Dog Days are Over (Didn´t really care for her, but the song choice was quite risky. The song itself is hard AF and doesn´t cater to her style at all. That performance was kind of a mess, but she survived that week, so props to her on that)

I second this as well (for both Sarah and Caroline)

The first two I can think of are............

Judith Hill "#thatpower" Will.i.am and Justin Beiber (Not only was the song itself a huge risk, but then to completely flip it in the way takes a huge risk and makes it even bigger of a risk!

Amber Carrington "I Remember You" Skid Row (Glam Rock to Country, need I say more?)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thevoiceswimmer said:

Judith Hill "#thatpower" Will.i.am and Justin Beiber (Not only was the song itself a huge risk, but then to completely flip it in the way takes a huge risk and makes it even bigger of a risk!

Forgot about this one. I still can’t believe Adam gave this to her (she killed it tho)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 1:16 AM, AngelaKD said:

Cole Vosbury (S5), a raspy-voiced bearded WGWG, auditioned with Movin’ On Up, the theme song from the Jeffersons tv show.

One of the many reasons Cole´s one of my favorite contestants ever. By far the most eclectic singer that season. One week he was doing the Jeffersons theme song, then another he did Passenger, then Miguel, then Billy Joel.

1 hour ago, SNI2 said:

Betsy from season 16

This was a yikes for me too.... If there was a great Alanis cover on this show, it would belong to Kat Robichaud's KO. 

Betsy sand Brandi Carlile in her battle with Lisa tho, and if that's what you were referring to, then I agree.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SNI2 said:

Everytime someone attempt to sing Faith Hill, Brandi Carlile or Alanis I just go "Oh, boy. Here we go again...". Sometimes it works, like Betsy from season 16, but most of the time it's just YIKES. 

Keisha slayed "It Matters To Me" Faith Hill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daillon said:

Singing Adele is always a big risk, and it doesn't usually pay off. Some people have done a good enough job (Hannah, Katie...) but they weren't among their best performances.

Adele flops in recent memory:

Jake HaldenVang - Turning Tables

Hello Sunday - Hello

Marybeth Byrd - All I Ask (not really a flop, but an average KO that likely weakened her chances at going far)

Julian King - Hello

Keith Paluso - Someone Like You

I think the best Adele covers on the show in recent memory are Kennedy Holmes' audition and Maelyn vs Savannah

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
On 2/2/2021 at 7:14 AM, FloorWax said:

Marybeth Byrd - All I Ask (not really a flop, but an average KO that likely weakened her chances at going far)

I...kind of liked this one. Not a fan of her, but she did what Billy honestly couldn't do: she sang the song with emotion.  

Still, not her best, and definitely pales in comparison to another Knockouts from that season

A risk that actually pulled off (and solidified his whole journey in my opinion): Sundance Head covering "No One" by Alicia Keys.  He rearranged the whole song to his own style. Also, he was the first artist of the season to claim an iTunes bonus during that week. 

Edited by Gmm99
  • Like 2