Contestants that went far but almost didn't get a chair turn

QueenCami

33 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

Interpreting the title a bit differently, if any of the no chair turns in Season 12 had gotten just one chair to turn, Chris Blue wouldn't have sung and we would've had a completely different result for the season.

a result, perhaps, that many would be much happier with :rofl:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

In season sixteen, everybody, including myself, doubted that Lisa Ramey had any chance of going far after she got John's last-second turn.  Her Blind was that much of a mess.  But she actually ended up surprising in her Battle with Betsy Ade and in her Cross-Battle against Karen Galera.  If not for the Playoffs format, maybe there could have been just a chance she made John's top three.

49 minutes ago, Rodney said:

In season sixteen, everybody, including myself, doubted that Lisa Ramey had any chance of going far after she got John's last-second turn.  Her Blind was that much of a mess.  But she actually ended up surprising in her Battle with Betsy Ade and in her Cross-Battle against Karen Galera.  If not for the Playoffs format, maybe there could have been just a chance she made John's top three.

I agree. Maybe if that season had followed the regular KO format, Lisa would've made Top 13 at least.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

I agree. Maybe if that season had followed the regular KO format, Lisa would've made Top 13 at least.

She deserved John´s save honestly. Celia just kept giving worse and worse performances throughout while Lisa kept improving and surprising everyone. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Misirlou said:

She deserved John´s save honestly. Celia just kept giving worse and worse performances throughout while Lisa kept improving and surprising everyone. 

I still don't get what John's fascination with Celia was all about.  Sure, her Blind was terrific.  But her Battle with Karly Moreno was just okay (Karly easily won that), and everything after that was pretty much crap.  And yet he still wanted to keep her.

• Like 2

Also, on a sort-of related note, here's how long into their auditions each of the Season 18 top 5 sang for to get to their first chair (and the timestamp when their initial coach choice turned, if they weren't the first to turn):

• Todd: 0:20 (Nick was actually the first to turn, but Blake hit his button less than a second later at about the same time as Kelly)
  • Toneisha: 0:36 (John turned first, Blake didn't turn until 1:14 and by that point Nick was also turned around)
  • Thunderstorm: 0:23-0:25 (the auditions show John, Nick, and Kelly's hands in order of button press but they turned pretty much simultaneously, so I'm assuming John was the first to turn)
  • CammWess: 0:20 (John was the first to turn)
  • Micah: 0:40 (Kelly was the first to turn)

Also of note, Toneisha took the longest of the four-chairs to get that fourth chair (Kelly finally turned at 1:24), Thunderstorm had all four in under a minute (Blake turned last at about the 55 second mark), and Todd was only a hair slower than T-storm with John joining the other three at 0:58.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2020 at 1:10 AM, Rodney said:

I still don't get what John's fascination with Celia was all about.  Sure, her Blind was terrific.  But her Battle with Karly Moreno was just okay (Karly easily won that), and everything after that was pretty much crap.  And yet he still wanted to keep her.

At the time, I suspected her blind was heavily autotuned. Now, that seems highly likely. I think the producers had hoped they could catch lightening in a bottle, to help Adam, but she wasn’t able to pull it together in time for the live performances. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 3

On 10/7/2020 at 12:29 AM, Misirlou said:

Lisa was one of my favorites that season tbh 

• 2 years later...

Hailey Mia, season 21 finalist, turned Kelly's chair at the 1:23 mark and Ariana turned almost 3 seconds later.

Also Brayden Lape from this season. Hadn't it been for Camila's encouragement for Blake to turn, Brayden might have ended up being a no-chair this season and couldn't have gone this far.

Edited by Ottoxxx

On 10/6/2020 at 11:20 PM, VintageVoice said:

Also, on a sort-of related note, here's how long into their auditions each of the Season 18 top 5 sang for to get to their first chair (and the timestamp when their initial coach choice turned, if they weren't the first to turn):

• Todd: 0:20 (Nick was actually the first to turn, but Blake hit his button less than a second later at about the same time as Kelly)
  • Toneisha: 0:36 (John turned first, Blake didn't turn until 1:14 and by that point Nick was also turned around)
  • Thunderstorm: 0:23-0:25 (the auditions show John, Nick, and Kelly's hands in order of button press but they turned pretty much simultaneously, so I'm assuming John was the first to turn)
  • CammWess: 0:20 (John was the first to turn)
  • Micah: 0:40 (Kelly was the first to turn)

Also of note, Toneisha took the longest of the four-chairs to get that fourth chair (Kelly finally turned at 1:24), Thunderstorm had all four in under a minute (Blake turned last at about the 55 second mark), and Todd was only a hair slower than T-storm with John joining the other three at 0:58.

ooh this is a super interesting analysis. has anyone done this for the more recent seasons? i feel like that could be a thread in itself.