Musician Discography Rankdown (Bonus Round)

FrogLenzen

Taylor Swift: Part 5

4327530b49bed076f3b5766fc840c50a.gif\

We are gonna dig into SWIFTGRON for the final set. LOL. But for now. Just re-opening old KAYLOR wounds. LOL. Anyway. Takes a long time to recover from drinking 11 hours on a boat. What can I say. 

#10: Back to December

giphy.gif

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUwxKWT6m7U

Average: 15.33

Rankers:

Wally: 8

Steven: 10

Elliott: 11

Gigi: 11

Chris: 13

Diana: 14

QK: 15

Victoria: 15

Amanda: 17

Lily: 17

Rei: 17

Derek: 18

Priscilla: 18

Andy: 22

Megan: 24

Everybody pretty much agreed here. Nothing too high and nothing too low and in this CONTROVERSIAL set of rankings that's enough to get "Back to December" a Top 10 Placing. I personally have no strong feelings on this. A little surprised it didn't rank higher.

Wally

On 7/28/2021 at 4:18 PM, *Wallace said:

Back to December

tumblr_mpedapMBh21rq64mho3_500.gif

tumblr_memv96ly9g1rbuc4ro1_500_large.gif

“Back to December” is such a beautiful tender song and is one of my favorite ballads from Taylor. This is also my favorite from the Speak Now era too. I feel like this song is loved amongst a lot of us (which can be said for lots of these songs) as I felt this song got saved from various rankers so hopefully it ranks well. Taylor sounds so pretty on this song. I love the part where she sings “I know whhhyyyy” in the first verse - with how she extends “why” there.

Then the chorus is reallly pretty and heartbreaking too.

So this is me swallowing my pride,

Standing in front of you, saying, "I'm sorry for that night,"

And I go back to December all the time.

It turns out freedom ain't nothing but missing you.

Wishing I'd realized what I had when you were mine.

I'd go back to December, turn around and make it all right.

I go back to December all the time.

I really love those “I go back to December all the time” she sings. That’s one of my main favorite parts that always stands out to me. But aww Taylor wanting to go back to December to make things right. :( 

I do love how she really pours so much vulnerability and emotion into the bridge (though she does through the whole song but it’s at a higher level here).

I miss your tanned skin, your sweet smile.

So good to me, so right.

And how you held me in your arms that September night:

The first time you ever saw me cry.

Maybe this is wishful thinking,

Probably mindless dreaming,

But if we loved again, I swear I'd love you right.

So good but so heartbreaking. :broken:

Chris

On 7/31/2021 at 11:43 PM, *Chris said:

Back to December : This song has remained one of my favourite from "Speak Now" for many years, now. It is one that I always enjoyed the depth of the song compare to her previous songs. And I have a close connection to this song so it will forever going to hold a special place in my heart ❤️ 

Amanda

On 7/31/2021 at 12:48 PM, *Amanda said:

17. "Back to December"

The rare T.Swift apology song, Taylor wrote this about the remorse and guilt she felt about a relationship she was in that ended because of her. One of her many heartbreaking and emotional breakup tunes, this is a really beautiful song. The music video is also a really heartbreakingly beautiful one. I love when she changes it up and goes with the emotional breakup ballads instead of the up-tempo fun pop songs as singles because it adds variety to her single selections.

Favorite Lyrics:

Your guard is up and I know why

Because the last time you saw me
Is still burned in the back of your mind
You gave me roses and I left them there to die

Rei

On 7/29/2021 at 3:31 PM, .Rei said:

17. Back to December - Loved this on first listen. I added it to my liked songs and could see it growing on me more.

Andy

On 7/27/2021 at 9:14 AM, #jeah said:

22. Back To December - midtier Taylor single, I do like this and the lyrics are 10/10

#9: Love Story

d0a333e437d2b26150a83368401587dd.gif

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xg3vE8Ie_E

Average: 13.4

Rankings:

QK: 2

Wally: 2

Priscilla: 4

Diana: 5

Victoria: 5

Amanda: 10

Chris: 11

Gigi: 14

Lily: 15

Megan: 15

Steven: 17

Rei: 18

Elliott: 24

Derek: 28

Andy: 31

One of the most controversial songs on this rankdown! Who woulda thought. Anyway, I am actually a little surprised that "Love Story" ended up right in the middle of my own personal ranking because it was the first Taylor song that I really loved. I can still remember singing along to it in theater rehearsals and set builds in high school (LOL does it surprise anybody that I did theater in high school??????). But I feel that there are other, later Taylor songs I like better. But I will say that this is a BANGER on Taylor's Version and I am disappointed that was not the version of this song that went through as personally that would rank several spots higher for me. 

Wally

On 7/28/2021 at 4:18 PM, *Wallace said:

Love Story

ZWB3.gif

tenor.gif

I really love “Love Story” and it’s one of those songs that helped me grow to like Taylor Swift and it still remains one of my all-time favorite songs of hers. Thank you to Victoria for protecting an pushing this song so much so that I didn’t have to. Although i was high key worried about this song potentially missing the finals in that voting round early on as this was not getting the votes. 

“Love Story” is really such a beautiful and romantic song from Taylor. It gives off such a sweet and enchanting feel. She sells the story of this song perfectly. She sounds so pretty at the start of this song although she does throughout the song. The chorus is so easy going and catchy where she sings:

"Romeo, take me somewhere we can be alone.

I'll be waiting. All there's left to do is run.

You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess.

It's a love story. Baby, just say 'Yes'."

Another one of biggest favorite parts is on the second verse where she sings:

'Cause you were Romeo. I was a scarlet letter.

And my daddy said, "Stay away from Juliet."

But you were everything to me.

I was begging you, "Please don't go!"

And then from the second chorus she adds in a new chorus section and I lovet that part there too. 

Romeo, save me. They're trying to tell me how to feel.

This love is difficult but it's real.

So pretty! I also love how she really builds up the song towards the end and the climax part of the song is really exciting where she sings:

He knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring and said,

"Marry me, Juliet. You'll never have to be alone

I love you, and that's all I really know.

I talked to your dad. Go pick out a white dress.

It's a love story. Baby, just say 'Yes'."

Such a gorgeous and pretty song. :wub: Definitely a classic Taylor song in her discography and I am hoping this ranks high.

Amanda

10. "Love Story"

Even as an adamant supporter of the non-singles, I can't rank this outside my Top 10. This song just has too much meaning for me as a longtime fan who was first introduced to Taylor with this song.  This song will always hold a special place in my heart because it's what made me such a big Taylor Swift fan and if it ends up winning, I will be thrilled because it's such an important part of my T.Swift journey. Also, the song is just really good. The Romeo & Juliet but they get a happy ending and fairytale vibes is great.

Favorite Lyrics:

I got tired of waiting

Wonderin' if you were ever comin' around

My faith in you was fading

When I met you on the outskirts of town

Chris

Love Story This song is certainly one of Taylor Swift's peak in term of lead single - it is easily one of my favourite lead single of hers. And after all these years, granted that the re-release of it helped, the song still holds up; I do wish the re-recording would have made it as I feel every re-recording from Fearless should have made it through over the original #TeamTaylor. Also, there's nothing that comes close to hearing this song live and everyone in the stadium singing along :wub: 

SAME WAVELENGTHS CHRIS AND I

Rei

18. Love Story - This song has grown one me tremendously over the years. Maybe is the million of Tik Toks that I’ve seen to this song. I like this song a lot.

I too have watched all the "Love Story" Tik Toks.

Andy

31. Love Story - I never liked Love Story tbh oops

#8: Lover

giphy.gif

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BjZmE2gtdo

Average: 12.73

Rankers:

Andy: 3

Chris: 5

Lily: 7

Amanda: 8

Derek: 8

Rei: 8

Megan: 10

Wally: 12

Gigi: 13

Elliott: 17

Diana: 19

Steven: 19

Priscilla: 20

QK: 21

Victoria: 21

Another tight set of rankings that skews higher than "Back to December" and thus "Lover" ranks two spots higher. I'm glad to help with that cause as I ranked "Back to December" in my Bottom 10 and "Lover" in my Top 10. I just think it's a great Taylor song. A great title song. 

Andy

3. Lover - My second favorite Taylor song lyrically, it also makes me want to fall in love. Queen of letting her friends crash in the living room

Chris

Lover One of my favourite from "Lover" and my favourite love songs of hers; it's a song that I hope to have featured in my wedding, one day. 

Amanda

8. "Lover"

I know I was more pro non-singles than pro singles, but there are a few exceptions to that. Lover is definitely one of them. I really love this song and it has what is quite possibly my favorite Taylor Swift bridge. I love the way the bridge reads like wedding vows. Also, I adore the music video for this. Taylor recovered with her single choices for this song's namesake album with this after the one-two punch of the catchy but awful ME! and You Need to Calm Down, a catchy and powerful song but one of the weaker offerings from the album IMO.

Favorite Lyrics:

Ladies and gentlemen, will you please stand?

With every guitar string scar on my hand

I take this magnetic force of a man to be my lover

Your heart's been borrowed and mine has been blue

All's well that ends well to end up with you

Swear to be overdramatic and true to my lover

Rei

8. Lover - imo This is the Folkoriest song that is not from Folklore, and of course I love it!

Wally

On 7/28/2021 at 4:19 PM, *Wallace said:

Lover

tenor.gif

I was really surprised that “Lover” didn’t get enough votes to advance through that first voting round as I thought this song was much more loved on here. 😮 But thank goodness it sailed through in the Wildcard round. “Lover” is a reallly pretty and romantic song that Taylor sells so well here (as usual). She does sound very lovely throughout the song. I do love the chorus of the song where she sings:

Can I go where you go?

Can we always be this close forever and ever?

And ah, take me out and take me home

You're my, my, my, my

Lover

But then my favorite part is the certain parts of the bridge which are:

Ladies and gentlemen, will you please stand?

My heart's been borrowed and yours has been blue

All's well that ends well to end up with you

Those parts always stands out to me…. and always the parts I look forward to when listening to this! :haha: The video is really cute and adorable too. The cinematography is gorgeous.

Cruel Summer

I remember the outrage of “Cruel Summer” never being a single and I do get it. I do think this should have and would have been a great single from the Lover era. This song has a light, breezy cool and fun vibe to it. I do like the beat/production on this and how smooth Taylor’s vocals is on this. I like how hard hitting the bridge is too. :bobo: Such a fun sounding song and I am glad Lily protected this to get this into the finals.

#7: Safe & Sound

tumblr_ob3kc8KaYa1sghgn2o1_500.gif

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzhAS_GnJIc

Average: 12.67

Rankers:

Victoria: 1

Elliott: 2

Rei: 3

Chris: 4

Amanda: 5

Andy: 5

Megan: 5

Priscilla: 5

QK: 12

Derek: 21

Diana: 21

Lily: 21

Gigi: 27

Steven: 29

Wallace: 29

Weird that some of this song's biggest fans are not fans of folklore/evermore considering that this song could fit right in those albums pretty seamlessly. I'm not gonna dwell on it though. Anyway, a real bummer that The Civil Wars lived up to their name and broke up acrimoniously because this would be incredible re-recorded for Red (Taylor's Version). I think that this song came out at the time where like all the music I listened to was this kind of folk including The Civil Wars and it really is better than it has any right to be. It's like how all the Twilight soundtracks are bangers. Because like those songs, "Safe & Sound" is better than the entire rest of the Hunger Games franchise COMBINED. 

Rei

3. Safe & Sound ft. The Civil Wars (from The Hunger Games) - Her voice sounds exquisite in this. Such a beautiful song.

Chris

Safe & Sound This song has always been one of my absolutely favourite of Taylor's and I am so happy that she went down this route with folklore and evermore. 

Amanda

5. "Safe and Sound" feat. The Civil Wars

As I said a while ago in the thread, this has a very similar vibe to the Folklore/Evermore albums. I've always loved this song, so you can imagine my excitement when the albums went in the more Indie/Folk style of this song after 3 straight pure Pop albums. But about this song, Taylor and the Civil Wars sound great together, the lyrics are fantastic, and the song as a whole is just perfection. A very good song to include in the Hunger Games film.

Favorite Lyrics:

Just close your eyes, the sun is going down

You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now

Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound

Andy

5. Safe & Sound - Gorgeous gorgeous song, super thrilled to see this in the final vote

Wally

On 7/28/2021 at 4:20 PM, *Wallace said:

Safe & Sound ft. The Civil Wars (from The Hunger Games)

I know this song is a big favorite amongst some of Taylor fans but I personally never really cared for this. I always much preferred “Eyes Open” of her two The Hunger Games tracks. But this song does have a nice dark haunting quality to it and Taylor does sound good on this. But it just never really grabbed or sparked my interest.

#6: Out of the Woods

214f02c1d89d8a74d48a0467639dcab5.gif

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLf9q36UsBk

Average: 12.40

Rankers:

Andy: 4

Lily: 6

Elliott: 7

Gigi: 8

Amanda: 9

QK: 10

Victoria: 10

Rei: 11

Wally: 11

Diana: 12

Steven: 14

Megan: 16

Priscilla: 17

Chris: 24

Derek: 27

LOL the secret to ranking high in this T.Swift mini-rankdown is just be like averagely liked amongst most everybody with few detractors. Because this song made it to #6 with only 1 top 5 ranking (compared to "Safe & Sound" which had 8 top 5 rankings). But it has only 2 rankings in the 20s while "Safe & Sound" had 6 and that's enough to give "Out of the Woods" a 0.27 point advantage. I like this song. It ranked right in the middle of the pack for me. 15 higher and 15 lower.

Andy

4. Out of the Woods - Always been one of my favorite songs from her, this is peak Jack Antonoff production. Pure euphoria

Amanda

9. "Out of the Woods"

One of my favorite Taylor songs that have been released as a single. I love that she wrote the frantic, repeating "Are we out of the woods yet/Are we out of the clear yet" chorus to represent the anxiety she felt while in an extremely fragile relationship that had the ability to break at any second. Such a great way to translate that anxiety she was feeling into a song. Also, the music video is my favorite Taylor music video. It's everything. Seriously, the cinematography in that music video is stunning and I love that the metaphorical woods she's singing about actually manifest into the real woods. Also, "She lost him, but she found herself. And somehow, that was everything" as a reference to the hidden message for Clean is a perfect way to cap off the era. Amazing song and amazing music video. Also, if you haven't listened to the acoustic version of this at the GRAMMY museum, you need to. It really highlights the emotion of the song even more.

Favorite Lyrics:

You took a Polaroid of us

Then discovered (Then discovered)

The rest of the world was black and white

But we were in screaming color.

Rei

11. Out of the Woods - I’ve never listened to this one, but I loved it? Definitely 1989 is much more my vibe than her previous albums.

Wally

On 7/28/2021 at 4:19 PM, *Wallace said:

Out of the Woods

TsoL.gif

I always really enjoyed “Out of the Woods” so I am very pleased this made it into the Finals! I’m not sure how to describe this song but I do love the sound of it. It has this dark, haunting and edgy sound to it that just has this really cool sound to it. The chorus is quite repetitive but I don’t mind…. and in fact, I love it of course. :giggle: It’s easy to learn too! :haha:

Are we out of the woods yet?

Are we out of the woods?

Are we in the clear yet?

Are we in the clear yet?

Are we in the clear yet?

In the clear yet? Good

😮

Now I absolutely love the bridge of the song and think that part of the song is kinda iconic. I love how she sings it in this fast and intense way:

Remember when you hit the brakes too soon?

Twenty stitches in the hospital room

When you started cryin', baby, I did, too

But when the sun came up, I was lookin' at you

Remember when we couldn't take the heat

I walked out and said, "I'm settin' you free"

But the monsters turned out to be just trees

And when the sun came up, you were lookin' at me

You were lookin' at me

You were lookin' at me

I remember, oh, I remember

So good! But the video is also really intriguing too.

Chris

Out of the Woods An excellent song from an excellent album - I struggled where to rank this one so it lands here, as I prefer the other songs from 1989 included in this final ranking and I prefer the other songs more. 

AMANDA:

2. Clean

3. exile

------

29. 22

30. Bad Blood

31. Look What You Made Me Do

ANDY:

2. invisible string

3. Lover

------

29. Bad Blood

30. Look What You Made Me Do

31. Love Story

CHRIS:

2. Enchanted

------

29. Look What You Made Me Do

30. Bad Blood

31. 22

DEREK:

2. New Year's Day

3. exile

------

30. I Knew You Were Trouble

31. Our Song

DIANA:

3. Enchanted

------

29. Look What You Made Me Do

30. Bad Blood

31. exile

ELLIOTT:

1. Look What You Made Me Do

2. Safe & Sound

3. exile

------

29. Clean

30. Getaway Car

31. Bad Blood

GIGI:

1. Enchanted

2. Wildest Dreams

------

29. Last Kiss

30. Ronan

31. Come Back... Be Here

LILY:

------

29. invisible string

30. Last Kiss

31. Look What You Made Me Do

MEGAN:

2. betty

3. exile

------

29. 22

30. Look What You Made Me Do

31. Bad Blood

PRISCILLA:

1. Last Kiss

2. I Almost Do

------

29. invisible string

30. exile

31. New Year's Day

QK:

2. Love Story

------

29. Enchanted

30. exile

31. New Year's Day

REI:

1. exile

3. Safe & Sound

------

30. White Horse

31. Wildest Dreams

STEVEN:

------

29. Safe & Sound

30. Bad Blood

31. invisible string

VICTORIA:

1. Safe & Sound

3. Last Kiss

------

29. Enchanted

30. Come Back... Be Here

31. New Year's Day

WALLACE:

1. I Knew You Were Trouble

2. Love Story

3. Bad Blood

------

29. Safe & Sound

30. invisible string

31. exile

6 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

What are the copy & paste rankings? :unsure:

Victoria and QK. They have 23/30 exact same rankings. And the rankings that aren't the same are a 1/12 swap and a few others that are just 1-2 off. Like I said when I posted the comparisons between each ranker, their average difference in ranking is around 1.1 which is absurdly low to happen randomly. When I take out that 1/12 swap for each of them it drops to 0.41. 

Other rankers that have similar tastes like Victoria and her sister and me and Amanda or me/Amanda/Chris are closer to 4-6 range. 

Edited by totes4totes

Before ya’ll start TALKING out of the side of your necks. 🙂 My ranking was done and complete when @QueenKalie asked for my rankings because he was too busy to send to rank and he said he would switch the songs around. So mention my name again and we will have some issues. Welcome to my get my name of your mouth TEDTalk. 🙂

1 hour ago, *Diana said:

My 1, 2, 6, 11 and 20 are in place. I won't complain. 

As a huge Taylor fan I find it disheartening to hear about the copy and paste rankings. 

1 hour ago, totes4totes said:

Victoria and QK. They have 23/30 exact same rankings. And the rankings that aren't the same are a 1/12 swap and a few others that are just 1-2 off. Like I said when I posted the comparisons between each ranker, their average difference in ranking is around 1.1 which is absurdly low to happen randomly. When I take out that 1/12 swap for each of them it drops to 0.41. 

Other rankers that have similar tastes like Victoria and her sister and me and Amanda or me/Amanda/Chris are closer to 4-6 range. 

1 hour ago, *Amanda said:

Same. :( 

Quoting so you can read what occurred. 🙂