Musician Discography Rankdown (Bonus Round)

FrogLenzen

Taylor Swift: The Long-Awaited Finale

giphy.gif

It's here. The end.

#5: Style

giphy.gif

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CmadmM5cOk

Average: 12.20

Rankers:

Andy: 1

Lily: 2

Steven: 2

Chris: 6

Wally: 6

QK: 9

Priscilla: 9

Victoria: 9

Amanda: 13

Megan: 14

Gigi: 17

Diana: 20

Derek: 23

Rei: 25

Elliott: 27

This is a great song that I'm almost surprised didn't get a higher ranking from me personally. Just shows how strong Taylor's discography is. 

Andy

On 7/27/2021 at 9:14 AM, #jeah said:

1. Style - I weirdly slept on this song for so many years, but this is pop perfection. The buildup to the final chorus is everything I need in life

Chris

On 7/31/2021 at 11:43 PM, *Chris said:

Style My absolute favourite from 1989 - I really wish we could have had a 1989 summer but it is what it is. 

Wally

On 7/28/2021 at 4:18 PM, *Wallace said:

Style

0709b12fe9e4dec9fe22babd146b24fb.gif

I love that there’s so much 1989 representation here and “Style” is one of my many favorites from Taylor of that era. I do love how easy listening and breezy sound of this song. It has like a Spring time sound to it. I do love how Taylor takes her time and sings the verses slowly - like one or a few words at a time. Like those parts where she sings “midnight” “long drive” and “fade into view” in the first verse.

I do love the chorus of the song where it gets more uptempo an she sings it faster.

You got that James Dean daydream look in your eye

And I got that red lip classic thing that you like

And when we go crashing down, we come back every time

'Cause we never go out of style

We never go out of style

You got that long hair, slicked back, white t-shirt

And I got that good girl faith and a tight little skirt

'Cause we never go out of style

We never go out of style.

:bobo: (but in a slower way. :haha:)  I especially love those “We never go out of style” parts which is so catchy!

But then from the second verse, I really love the part where she sings “takes me home.” I don’t know why but that’s always been one of my biggest favorite parts that stuck with me. Sh sings that “take me home” part in the bridge and I love how she sings it there too. This is such a pretty and easygoing song from Taylor. I love it and certainly see it ranking well here (or at least I hope so)

Amanda

On 7/31/2021 at 12:48 PM, *Amanda said:

13. "Style"

Taylor really knew how to pick singles during this era excluding Bad Blood obviously. This is no exception. Very catchy but still very good. I'm glad she chose this as a single. If you're going to choose catchy songs, THIS is the way to go, not LWYMMD, ME! and Bad Blood. The music video with the broken glass pieces is great too. The 1989 era really was peak for amazing Taylor music videos.

Favorite Lyrics:

You got that James Dean daydream look in your eye
And I got that red lip, classic thing that you like
'Cause we never go out of style, we never go out of style

Rei

On 7/29/2021 at 3:31 PM, .Rei said:

25. Style - I liked it well enough but not one of the top favorites after I finished listening all 30 songs.

#4: You Belong with Me

BlaringUnfortunateIberianmidwifetoad-sma

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuNIsY6JdUw

Average: 12.07

Rankers:

QK: 1

Gigi: 3

Lily: 5

Diana: 6

Steven: 8

Priscilla: 10

Wally: 10

Andy: 11

Megan: 12

Victoria: 12

Elliott: 14

Chris: 15

Amanda: 16

Derek: 29

Rei: 29

If this were Taylor's Version it would have received a much higher ranking from me. Because it's one of my favorite singles of hers and maybe my favorite song off of Fearless. But hearing like now Taylor sing then Taylor's song is just so good. For me personally. Just kind of that quintessential teenage jealousy tweaked and sung with hindsight. Love it. But this is the OG version so it gets a lower ranking from me. 

Wally

You Belong with Me

NeXt.gif

original.gif

Oooh it’s really so fun watching these older Taylor Swift videos and seeing how young she was back in these videos. Time goes by so fast. I always loved “You Belong with Me” from her and am glad it’s here in the finals. This is such an adorable and fun song. I do really like the pre-chorus and chorus where she sings:

But she wears short skirts

I wear T-shirts

She's cheer captain

And I'm on the bleachers

Dreaming about the day when you wake up and find

That what you're looking for has been here the whole time.

If you could see

That I'm the one

Who understands you.

Been here all along.

So, why can't you see

You belong with me,

You belong with me.

Tell it Taylor. She’s really singing her feelings out here on how she’s much better for this guy than the girl he’s interested.  From the second verse I do love the parts where she sings:

Laughing on a park bench thinking to myself,

"Hey, isn't this easy?"

You say you're fine I know you better than that.

Hey, what you doing with a girl like that?

The bridge is great too. I love it where the song picks up in tempo and the part where she sings:

I'm the one who makes you laugh

When you know you're 'bout to cry.

I know your favorite songs,

And you tell me about your dreams.

Think I know where you belong,

Think I know it's with me.

The music video is really cute and fun to watch too. Happy that the guy chose right and realizes he belongs with the good Taylor.

Andy

11. You Belong With Me - loved this song when it was released, still love it now but don’t listen to it often

Chris

You Belong With Me: An iconic song that changed Taylor Swift's song. And while I don't listen to this song as much as her other songs, as I played it way too much in 2008 to 2010 era, it still holds up - it could have been a bit higher but I know that some people will rank this on.'

Agree. It is a song that changed Taylor Swift's song. :giggle:

Amanda

16. "You Belong With Me"

I did not expect this one to be so low, but I like too many Taylor songs, so here we are. A T.Swift classic about being in love with your best friend, this is an amazing tune and the music video where she plays both the nerdy band geek and the cheerleader is an iconic one. This is just a super fun and super catchy song which it what makes it perfect single material.

Favorite Lyrics:

And you've got a smile
That can light up this whole town
I haven't seen it in a while
Since she brought you down
You say you're fine, I know you better than that
Hey, what you doing with a girl like that?

Rei

29. You Belong with Me - This is a song that I’ve listened plenty of times in the past. But aside for the chorus, it has never really appealed to me that much. That’s the reason I’m putting this near the bottom of my rankings.

#3: All Too Well

DefenselessLimpAlpinegoat-size_restricte

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWp92atlmsM

Average: 10.00

Rankers:

Amanda: 1

Chris: 1

Diana: 1

Megan: 1

Steven: 1

Rei: 2

Lily: 11

Derek: 12

Andy: 13

Elliott: 13

Priscilla: 13

QK: 19

Victoria: 19

Gigi: 20

Wally: 23

If I had deleted the copy/paste rankings, this would have ended in a tie for #1. That's really the biggest letdown. This song has a whopping FIVE number one rankings. And yet it only placed third. As you can see from my ranking, it's my favorite Taylor song. Red is the album that made me LOVE Taylor Swift and this song is a huge reason why. It's as close to a perfect Taylor Swift song as you can get which means that it's a perfect sprawling ballad about a relationship that went wrong. It just has all these perfect phrases and just delivers absolutely everything at the exact right moment. I don't tend to do favorite lines when doing this because plenty of others will, but the line "you call me up again just to break me like a promise" cuts so hard and deeply I can't not mention it. It may not have won the rankdown (technically) but having 5 top placements and 1 second place is truly a feat. 

Amanda

1. "All Too Well"

It's hard to choose a favorite T.Swift song, but I ultimately settled on "All Too Well". A heartbreaking masterpiece and display of the incredible songwriter  that Taylor is. The emotional, detailed retelling of a relationship that fell apart, this song is one of the most gut-wrenching in Taylor's repertoire. The storytelling in this is incredible, with depictions of autumn car rides, meeting her ex's family and dancing in the refrigerator light. This is a song that Taylor got very emotional singing in the first few years after it was released, but we as a fandom latched onto it, loved it, shouted the words back to her at her concerts, and turned it into a happy memory for her because of how much the fans embraced it. I love that we did that for her. The song still carries the emotional weight, though, and stands out as one of the best songs she's ever released. I can't wait for the 10 minute version we've been clamoring for when Red (Taylor's Version) drops in November. And I hope this song does extremely well in the rankdown and even possibly win, because it deserves nothing but the best. ❤️ 

Favorite Lyrics:

And you call me up again

Just to break me like a promise

So casually cruel in the name of being honest

I'm a crumpled up piece of paper lying here

Because I remember it all, all, all too well

Chris

All Too Well : If this song is not one of your favourite Taylor Swift's song, I am judging you. Anyway, I need that 10 minutes version NOW even though I am in a committed relationship for the past 3.5 years; No one comes in between me and my love for this song.

Rei

2. All Too Well - This has to be one of Taylor’s best songs. **Checking Wikipedia**. Yep, it is. Love this!

Andy

13. All Too Well - gorgeous song

Wally

On 7/28/2021 at 4:20 PM, *Wallace said:

All Too Well

I’ve always known and heard of this song as a really big fan amongst the Taylor Swift fandom. It’s a really powerful, pretty and moving song. I do really enjoy it. Love the story telling and how she builds this song up as it progresses. I can see this ranking really well here. 

#2: Cruel Summer

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic8j13piAhQ

Average: 9.80

Rankers:

Derek: 1

Lily: 1

Diana: 2

Chris: 3

Megan: 4

Steven: 6

Elliott: 8

Amanda: 12

Gigi: 12

Rei: 12

QK: 14

Victoria: 14

Wally: 14

Andy: 20

Priscilla: 24

LOLOLOL that gif comes from Wattpad. Let me break into my 500 page thesis on fanfiction. Anyway, it feels like this set was really a battle between Taylor's singles and Taylor's best songs that should have been released as singles and never were. And "Cruel Summer" just NARROWLY lost the battle. Imagine if Lover  was released with this as the lead single! It would have been perfect! When Taylor was trying to pander to her queer fans, the fact that her team released "You Need to Calm Down" and "Me!" instead of the Annie Clark (AKA St. Vincent) co-written jam seems like a mistake. Taylor. The lesbians. We all love St. Vincent. Also. ALSO. I am sorry. You do not hang out with #CANNIE (lolololol) without having made out with a woman. You don't hang out with Hayley Kiyoko without KNOWING what you are doing. Anyway, this is, for me, EASILY the best song off Lover and straight up a Top 10 Taylor Song of all time. And am I saying that as somebody who has seen St. Vincent in concert three times (including two times in the span of three days in two different cities????) Yes. I love this song. As reflected by my high rankings. Anyway, when Taylor released Lover (Taylor's Version) "Cruel Summer (Taylor's Version)" better be the lead single. I better get a music video. 

Chris

Cruel Summer I do wish Lover-era would have lasted longer so she could have released this flawless song as a single. 

Amanda

12. "Cruel Summer"

Yeah, I'm firmly in the "Cruel Summer should've been a single!" camp and I think it likely could've been had the Loverfest tour happened and COVID didn't shut everything down for a year, meaning the Lover era would've lasted longer. I mean, Taylor made New Romantics a single after all the clamoring in the fandom for her to do so, so I don't see why she wouldn't do the same for Cruel Summer. We were definitely robbed of this being a single. But yeah, this is one of the highlights off of Lover. An amazing song that definitely deserves single status over the likes of "ME!"

Favorite Lyrics:

Killing me slow, out the window
I'm always waiting for you to be waiting below
Devils roll the dice, angels roll their eyes
What doesn't kill me makes me want you more

Rei

12. Cruel Summer - Such a great song. Super catchy as well.

Wally

On 7/28/2021 at 4:19 PM, *Wallace said:

Cruel Summer

I remember the outrage of “Cruel Summer” never being a single and I do get it. I do think this should have and would have been a great single from the Lover era. This song has a light, breezy cool and fun vibe to it. I do like the beat/production on this and how smooth Taylor’s vocals is on this. I like how hard hitting the bridge is too. :bobo: Such a fun sounding song and I am glad Lily protected this to get this into the finals.

Andy

20. Cruel Summer - I think this song is overrated tbh, but it still slaps. There are better songs off Lover (I Forgot that you existed, Daylight, False God, Afterglow, Cornelia Street etc)

Rude not to mention my second favorite off Lover "The Archer"

#1: Blank Space

taylor-swift-blank-space.gif

Listen Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ORhEE9VVg

Average: 7.80

Rankers:

Victoria: 2

Lily: 3

Priscilla: 3

QK: 3

Steven: 3

Wally: 4

Rei: 7

Andy: 8

Megan: 8

Elliott: 10

Derek: 11

Diana: 11

Amanda: 14

Chris: 14

Gigi: 16

How fitting that a song with ZERO #1 rankings made it to the #1 spot. Congrats. NOBODY won this mini-rankdown. FITTING. 

Wally

Blank Space

tumblr_neubniU1XO1rt0ls1o1_500.gifv

I really love “Blank Space.” This was one of those Taylor songs I heard a ton of and was really into and couldn’t get enough of when it was really popular. I felt it was kinda risky of me not to give “Blank Space” immunity on that Round 2 part of the game as I did consider giving immunity to it but figured other songs needed my help. I’m so glad it didn’t get eliminated and that it made it into the finals! Taylor really brought it with these modern day classic pop songs on 1989 here. This is such a fun and catchy song. I love the humor she brings and sells here too!  I love how she plays the obsessive lover here in the video and she sells playful lyrics so well.

Of course, there are tons of parts I love but i’ll point out some of those. For instance i love the start where she sings:

Nice to meet you, where you been?

I could show you incredible things

:giggle:

Then some other parts I love from the first verse are where she sings:

Oh my God, look at that face

You look like my next mistake

Love's a game, wanna play?

giphy.gif

That last line always kills me. :dead: The humor she has singing that part is so good! Then I love the chorus and think it’s so fun and catchy!

So it's gonna be forever

Or it's gonna go down in flames

You can tell me when it's over

If the high was worth the pain

Got a long list of ex-lovers

They'll tell you I'm insane

'Cause you know I love the players

And you love the game

'Cause we're young and we're reckless

We'll take this way too far

It'll leave you breathless

Or with a nasty scar

Got a long list of ex-lovers

They'll tell you I'm insane

But I've got a blank space, baby

And I'll write your name

:bobo:

From the second verse I love the parts where she sings:

Rose garden filled with thorns

Keep you second guessing like

"Oh my God, who is she?"

I get drunk on jealousy

But you'll come back each time you leave

'Cause, darling, I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream

LOL I love he crazy she brings in those lyrics and how she sells it so well in the music video. :dead: But the bridge of the song is.. fun too. iT’S SCARY but fun none the less!

Boys only want love if it's torture

Don't say I didn't say, I didn't warn ya

The visuals from the music video makes it even scarier. :haha: But this is such a great fun song and one of my big favorites from Taylor!

see. I don't need to do song lyrics because wally here is quoting the entire song as his favorite lyric.

Rei

7. Blank Space - I feel like this is one of Taylor’s biggest song. Was this the one that started her pop era? If so, it was a very successful one for that.

Andy

8. Blank Space - amazing song, really toxic lyrics though lol

Amanda

14. "Blank Space"

Taylor taking the "psycho ex-girlfriend" persona that the media and internet unfairly and cruelly created for her because....she dated in her young 20's and channeled the those heartbreaks into writing songs about her exes? Which male artists do just as much as she does and get ZERO flack for? And turning it into a song, writing this song from the perspective of the character that the media and internet because she thought it was so ridiculous is genius. This was a follow-up to Shake It Off, and I love how she continued the trend of calling out her haters in the best possible ways with this. Like Style, it's catchy but also just very good and I don't mind catchy singles as long as they're good. Also, the music video is amazing. She plays the crazy ex-girlfriend character extremely well.

Favorite Lyrics:

Cherry lips, crystal skies
Stolen kisses, pretty lies
You're the King, baby, I'm your Queen
Find out what you want
Be that girl for a month
Wait, the worst is yet to come, oh, no

Chris

Blank Space : An iconic song from "1989" which I absolutely love - I don't what it is but I always been a huge fan of "1989" and especially this song. 

Edited by totes4totes

the rankings if i had cut the copy/paste:

1 (TIE). All to Well (+2)

1 (TIE). Blank Space (=)

3. Cruel Summer (-1)

4. Lover (+4)

5. Style (=)

6. Out of the Woods (=)

7. You Belong with Me (-3)

8. Enchanted (+3)

9. Safe & Sound (-2)

10. Getaway Car (+2)

11. exile (ft. Bon Iver) (+2)

12. Love Story (-3)

13. Shake It Off (+1)

14. Back to December (-4)

15. Wildest Dreams (+1)

16. betty (+3)

17. invisible string (+7)

18. New Year's Day (+8)

19. Forever & Always (Piano Version) (Taylor's Version) (-1)

20. I Knew You Were Trouble (-5)

21. 22 (=)

22. Clean (+4) 

23. Our Song (=)

24. I Almost Do (-8)

25 (TIE). White Horse (-6)

25 (TIE). Last Kiss (-3)

27. (TIE) Look What You Made Me Do (+2)

27 (TIE). Mine (+1)

29. Ronan (-4)

30. Come Back...Be Here (=)

31. Bad Blood (ft. Kendrick Lamar) (=)

Edited by totes4totes

1 minute ago, *Diana said:

You really should have. Why play if you're gonna be that lazy? It makes me so mad lol

I believe that Dee will make it an official rule going forward. Like I said, I should have but since I didn't realize it two times in a row (for Kelsea Ballerini as well) that is on me. 

20 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

Steven

Style My absolute favourite from 1989 - I really wish we could have had a 1989 summer but it is what it is. 

Was I confused for Chris again? :haha: 

I do really like "Style" a lot too though! I'm glad it managed to make it all the way to the Top 5.

6 minutes ago, Deeee said:

I can also freely admit that despite not being a Taylor fan, Wildest Dreams had a random hold on me and my playlist for like two weeks after it came out. LOL. Is that even a song that the Swift fandom likes? IDK.

only the ones with taste

21 minutes ago, *Diana said:

You really should have. Why play if you're gonna be that lazy? It makes me so mad lol

Exactly. LOL.

As a huge Taylor fan who actually cared about how the results went and put a lot of effort into the write-ups for every song, I kinda want a do-over of this round. But then I don't want a do-over so I don't have to relive all the drama when the non-singles are inevitably cut again solely because they aren't as well-known as the singles. LOL.

Edited by *Amanda
  • Like 3

Just now, *Amanda said:

Exactly. LOL.

As a huge Taylor fan who actually cared about how the results went and put a lot of effort into the write-ups for every song, I kinda want a do-over of this round. But then I don't want a do-over so I don't have to relive all the drama when the non-singles are inevitably cut again solely because they aren't as well-known as the singles. LOL.

Just plan out a full Taylor Swift rankdown! Get your redemption!

• Like 1