AI S18 Ep 14 Top 20 Sing for Your Vote

istersay

So, here are my thoughts.

Going into tonight, Aliana and Nick were the two contestants I thought belonged here the least, though Faith wasn't much above them--ironically, it was her "unseen performances" on the This Is Me that elevated her above them. Her best performances were the ones we never would've gotten to see if she hadn't made the Top 20! But tonight, Faith was solid and Aliana and Nick were outright good. I still didn't give Aliana that many votes because, yes, she did Whitney justice, but how is that relevant to today's music scene?

Francisco was the best of the night. Grace, Makayla, and Cyniah were also really good, along with the two I mentioned in the previous paragraph. Sophia lagged a bit behind them, but was still comfortably in 7th place for the night.

I'd say there were possibly as many as seven contestants that outright blew it on song choice. It's been well documented on WNTS that "I Believe" just doesn't work unless you're Fantasia Barrino, and I'm not sure if there's anyone who can properly cover Billie Eilish; she's just so unique. I also thought that Franklin's "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" was just plain weird, and honestly Julia and Jonny were just completely singing the wrong songs for their voices. I'm guessing maybe Jonny was going for the Israel Kamikawa'ole version? He missed that, too; I think even for that, he's too much of a tenor. But even that was a better fit than Julia's alto trying to do "Human". It's just not a good song for her. What were the other ones I thought weren't good? Ah, right, Louis and DeWayne. DeWayne's song choice probably wasn't great either, but I think their problem was just not singing that well.

35 minutes ago, KelseyW said:

I can't believe they pulled this off without many flaws... 😮

Voted on all 3 methods for Arthur, Jonny, Sam, and Makayla cause they all deserve to make the Top 10! 🙂 

Unless I'm missing something - tonights show was not "live".  It was pretaped to avoid production flaws.

• Like 1

Wow. They really pulled this off. This was great! Man, it’s gonna be tough to see ten people go and there’s sure to be some upsets. 

Faith and Nick surprised me tonight. They both were solid. Faith has a strong voice and finally chose a song that shows her as an artist. For me, Aliana and Franklin were the weakest. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elliott said:

I mean they praised everything last season so. 

This is what Idol has become in a nutshell. That’s why I don’t enjoy it anymore. Not everyone is amazing. Not everyone is a star. They have one job: judge and they don’t even do it. It’s copy + paste for all the comments I feel. I miss they days where the judges critiques actually mattered.

13 hours ago, Carrie_On said:

Wow. They really pulled this off. This was great! Man, it’s gonna be tough to see ten people go and there’s sure to be some upsets. 

Faith and Nick surprised me tonight. They both were solid. Faith has a strong voice and finally chose a song that shows her as an artist. For me, Aliana and Franklin were the weakest. 

Kimmy: great singer but I was kind of bored

Jovin: This was awful I feel like the judges are going to be nice to everyone tonight if they’re giving him good comments

Franklin: Yikes this was pretty awful, I really like the tone of his voice but this was just a terrible song choice

Olivia: I loved this, her voice is amaze and her attitude is on point. Werk gurl!

Louis: not vocally perfect but it was still my fave performance so far. I’m just obsessed with this kind of voice, the accent, and vibe.

Makayla: terrible song choice! This doesn’t show off her vocals at all and just sounds messy. I love this song but this was not the right move for her. This belongs on RuPaul’s drag race as a lipsync but not when you’re trying to make top 10 on AI. Valentina is cackling.

Aliana: there’s something about her that I really like, this was omg famazing and her vocals were not perfect, but she has something special that draws me to her, I’m sad that most people consider her fodder

Faith: unfortunately this didn’t help land her out of fodder territory, she was in too deep, but this wasn’t a terrible performance

Nick: I mean let’s be honest, his voice is the weakest out of everyone left, but his looks and package have gotten him this far. He’s someone pretty that I like around for eye candy but he should stick to acting. I think his career could be like Zac Efron’s. He could do a cute teenybopper movie like high school musical and sing some cute numbers without a huge need for vocal ability. But then his focus should just be on acting. That said I wouldn’t be mad about him making top 10 because I like looking at him :giggle:

Lauren: Wow she just put herself on the map, I literally did not remember her name at all and thought she was Faith LOL. But girl is by far the best diva so far. She slayed, love that song, love her version, she somehow took herself out of fodderdam.

Cyniah: I honestly was not a fan of her and I thought she was going to trip all over with this unexpected song choice but it actually worked in her favor because she didn’t do an overplayed traditional diva song, I loved this and I think she took over top diva of the night so far from Lauren. I do get Luke’s comment about her connection to the audience though because I still don’t like her that much, I think she will have a likability issue kind of like Jennifer Hudson where vocally amazing but doesn’t get fans to vote frantically for her due to lack of likability.

Francisco: omgosh this kid, I’m obsessed with him. He’s the opposite of Cyniah in the sense that he’s so fricking lovable and likable and all of the above. He’s Uber talented and has a great voice. I didn’t like this song choice but Francisco did a great job, it definitely wasn’t his best moment but he can sing anything and make you gush. ❤️ def maxed out my votes for him as I’m always so excited to watch him perform.

Sophia: another contestant that I really like, I really loved her performance, she was great, really hope she makes top 10

Dewayne: I really like this guy, this was such a great performance. I love this type of music, he really could be on the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, could totally see him being a great act working alongside her. The little kids dancing were so adorbz.

Dillon: this was a good vocal for him, I feel like his fans will love this. I still think he needs a major haircut, not a fan of this long hair, the curves are distracting did he like go to the hairdresser before this? How the heck was that allowed during quarantine. It’s too distracting in a bad way, he needs a clean haircut so I can focus.

Arthur: he’s a good singer but I find him overrated, it’s not my type of music so I’m not connected and he’s def not one of my favorites, that being said, he’s vocally strong 

Julia: yikes this is terrible, she was my fave girl but this dropped her quite a bit, terrible song choice and vocals are all over the place, she’ll have to pray her fans vote 

Grace: wow country Kween, she slayed, I’m not a huge fan of female country voices (I’m a Luke Bryan fan), but she’s damn good, possibly the best vocal of the night

Just Sam: I didn’t connect with that performance, I think I root more for her story than anything. Don’t really connect with her as an artist, she’s a good singer but I’m not a huge fan

Jonny: he’s alright but I don’t really get the hype. He’s not terrible I guess but just meh to me

The way they produced the show was better than expected. The biggest surprise was including the band. I thought the contestants would play their own instruments or have some backing track to sing to.

I'm curious about how the results will be revealed next week. I'm also interested if whether or not they'll be wildcards or would the top 10 vote-getters advance.

25 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I'm curious about how the results will be revealed next week. I'm also interested if whether or not they'll be wildcards or would the top 10 vote-getters advance.

We'll basically lose 15 people in one night. They'll reveal the Top 10 at the beginning of the show. The Top 10 then perform, and it's the "Live" Coast-to-Coast broadcast, so the Top 5 will be revealed at the end of the show.

American Idol went live tonight and proves once again that Idol is the best talent show on tv. Amazing performances, which i will break down, and declare the front runners for the top 10. Not one bad performance tonight. Let's get started.

1. Kimmy - Wasn't sure at first if she was going to be memorable, but tonight She changed my mind, she was memorable and killed her performance. Perfect song choice and she gave it a latin flair and her vocals soared.

2. Jovin - One of the best male vocals of the night. With A Little Help From My friends was the perfect choice for him. It fit his voice and fit his style.

3. Franklin Boone - yeah, it was an Alejandro moment, but he's Franklin Boone, and he gave nice and mellow version of that song. He is his own person, so don't compare him.

4. Olivia - Continully gives consistant performances, great song choice, billie elish is current and she did amazing. I'm just not that crazy about a teenager singing this song, i would have perfered Just Sam.

5. Louis Knight - harry styles vibe, maybe. For me I would say Elton John. Great song choice, one of his best performances on this show so far.

6. Makayla - great song choice, she's one of the biggest surprises this year. She continues to grow vocally and as an artist.

7. Aliena - I run to you by whitney houston was perfect for her voice, risky song choice though, but she slayed that performance.

8. Faith - when i ranked her in the top 20, i called her the weakest singer, tonight she gave the strongest performance of her idol career so far. I give props.

9. Nick - Great song choice, his vocals smooth, and clear. That was a standout performance from him.

10. Lauren Spencer Smith - unfreaking amazing, sounded better than the original, front runner status.

11. Cyniah - great song choice, gave a pleasent and nice performance. Her vocals stellar.

12. Fransisco - one of his best performances so far, he seemed at ease, will see what happens if they do get their stuido back before the finale.

13. Sophia - loved the song choice, her vocals perfect, i was too busy enjoying her performance than watching to see if she looked down at her music.

14. Dewayne - i forgot how good this paster is, love the song, love his smooth voice.

15. Dillion James - wow, he's a front runner too. Great song choice for him, the vocals were spot on.

16. Arthur Gunn - Potential winner, thos raspy vocals with that song, perfect. Love watching him perform.

17. Julia - potential winner, gorgeous is all i can say. Sounded tons better than the orginial verison.

18. Grace - Faith Hill better start running and Carrie too for their money, Grace slayed Cry by Faith Hill, and become a country superstar tonight. Country radio will love her, potential winner.

19. Just Sam - The next Jennifer Hudson, she slayed I believe by Fantasia. Better than the orginial.

20. Johnny West - He made me fall in love with Wonderfull World all over again. Perfect ending to the show tonight. He could win.

3 hours ago, Elliott said:

We'll basically lose 15 people in one night. They'll reveal the Top 10 at the beginning of the show. The Top 10 then perform, and it's the "Live" Coast-to-Coast broadcast, so the Top 5 will be revealed at the end of the show.

Wtf 🙄

• Like 1

these home settings didn't work for me. for such a talented bunch it is a waste of a season not to get them perform on the real stage with audience. they should have waited or postponed this season for several month instead of getting home videos. most of the performances weren't different from anything you find on youtube. the whole idea is to see who can ,make a transition from the home setting to the large stage and most of them failed. this is what Simon used to call living room/bedroom performance.. (wait.. it was!!) and one of them even had a gym there!!

so for me only 6 passed the test and showed some creativity and should move forward:

jovin - kudos for actually constructing a stage and it actually felt like a small concert. the only thing missing was an audience and the band.

lauren - she had the best backdrop of the view from her porch. she used it perfectly for her performance.

dillon - using the yard in front of the cabin as a mini set looked like an actual live performance.

kimmy, arthur and grace used their porch/backyard as the setting (when you have it just use it). and it elevated their performance and gave it a live setting.

everyone else can pack and go home. wait, they are home...

the judges are really useless. no criticism or something to work on. I miss Simon! 

32 minutes ago, holinessss said:

you literally judged them based on set design, but go off 😂

because most of the performances were dull and uninspiring, terrible choices and not fit for their voices. most of the performances were just plain. 

the judges didn't even make comments on the singing. they just praised everyone.