Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

DownrightTanHare-size_restricted.gif

Date Night

The cast of Date Night includes: Steve Carell, Tina Fey, Kristen Wiig, Mark Ruffalo, Taraji P. Henson, Mila Kunis, Bill Burr, and Nick Kroll. How is this not a funnier and better movie! Probably because the man who wrote this movie is only known for also writing Shrek Forever After and the man who directed this movie has a filmography whose highlights include Cheaper by the Dozen, The Pink Panther, and the Frankie Muniz vehicle Big Fat Liar. Honestly, what a waste of a cast for a just okay movie like this. 

If you didn't know (you probably don't because this movie came out 10 years ago and nobody remembers it today), Date Night is the story of a married couple played by Tina Fey and Steve Carell who on a date night to spice up their marriage get caught in a case of mistaken identity. The plot then follows them as they work to save themselves and inadvertently take down the mob who is after them (or more accurately the "Tripplehorns" whose reservation they stole on their date night). 

Like I said, it's an okay if bland movie. And this is a perfectly fine place for it to be eliminated. 

Saving: Bad Times at the El Royale

Edited by totes4totes

WOMAN IN GOLD

MV5BMTExMTUxNDQ5MjdeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDk4NTgxMzQx._V1_.jpg

Woman in Gold tells the story of the legal battle of Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I. This is a pretty famous painting, which I'm sure everyone here will recognize:

Gustav_Klimt_046.jpg

The painting is by Gustav Klimt, and it was stolen almost thirty years later by Nazis prior to World War II. Helen Mirren plays Maria Altmann, the niece of the man who commissioned the portrait of his wife (the woman in the painting is Altmann's aunt). Altmann aims to get back five paintings that once belonged to her family, including Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I. She fought the Austrian government for a decade over this case, which even led to a hearing in front of the U.S. Supreme Court. In the end, it was agreed that the painting (as well as the others) should be returned to Altmann. Altmann then sold the painting for a record $135 million to art collector Ronald Lauder for the museum he co-founded: The Neue Galerie New York. It seems like an interesting story, but the reviews of the film were mixed. It has a 57% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The site adds, “Woman in Gold benefits from its talented leads, but strong work from Helen Mirren and Ryan Reynolds isn't enough to overpower a disappointingly dull treatment of a fascinating true story.” Hmm. I guess reading about the case or watching a documentary might be more interesting than the film? I would be interested to learn more about this story, but I don't know if I would seek out this film to watch based on the reviews. Anyway, sorry to any fans, but out it goes from the rankdown.

And I’m saving 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi.

13-hours-krasinski-nod.gif

Edited by Steven_

10 hours ago, aliasocfan said:

I'm just going to assume I either nominated them or cut them. 👀👀
Sorry in advance. 

Knowing how we get along in rankdowns, you probably did. :dead: But it's all good and no hard feelings if so. :haha: 

10 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

I would have love to see @miss denise and @*Wallace in this. :wub: The amount chaos they would have inadvertently caused would have been the stuff of legends. :dead:

omgggg it would be tooo much. I think nearly all of the rankers would hate me and my involvement. :dead: 

9 hours ago, miss denise said:

YIKES.

This could possibly happen on a public round though.

True. :lmao: Although I wouldn't know what i would nominate on a public noms round. :haha: 

9 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

*live footage of Wally and Denise after the wreckage* I have no choice but to stan! :wub:

You gotta love it. :dead: 

9 hours ago, miss denise said:

I completed my updated count and the percentage of movies I've seen has actually gone up from pre-rankdown, so more movies I've seen are still in it than have been cut. :haha:  That is good news. Curious to know how yours compares.

Oooh nicee! I did this for the TV shows game but never did so for here. Guess I gotta check this out.

Final Destination 5

FD5_poster.jpg

tumblr_phdcxbmrfw1qdhps7o6_r1_500.gifv

Final Destination 5 is the final installment in the Final Destination film franchise. This movie was released on 2011 and it is a supernatural horror film. I believe I have watched film 1, 2 and 3 of the franchise but I don't really know how good are the last two films. I decided to cut this one cause is the one with the lowest metascore from the remaining nominees. The film revolves around Sam Lawton, who has a premonition that a bridge is going to collapse, killing everyone except he and his girlfriend. He manages to persuade a bunch of people to leave the bridge resulting in them "cheating" dead. Like all the other Final Destination movies, it is now up to the survivors to keep trying to cheat dead. The cast of the film included the likes of Nicholas D'Agosto, Emma Bell, Miles Fisher, Ellen Wroe, Arlen Escarpeta, Tony Todd and others. The film was a financial success with $160M made in the box office and it is the second highest grossing film of the franchise. The movie is also the best-reviewed film of the series which is surprising cause the 4th sequel is never the best. Maybe I will watch it someday, who knows.

Saving Wild Bill

tumblr_m8a3db40Yc1r6u9rlo5_250.gifv

DUMBO (2019)

tumblr_pp93srtWcv1qzs7uio4_r1_500.gifv

Okay honestly all of these Disney live action remake films can gtfo, except The Jungle Book which imo was pretty great. Dumbo was released in 2019 and was directed by none other than Tim Burton. It stars Colin Farrell, Michael Keaton, Danny Devito, Eva Green, and Alan Arkin. It actually underperformed at the box office, brining in "only" about $350 million against its $170 million budget. Bummer! Dumbo, as we all know, is the story of a baby elephant named Dumbo with enormous ears that ends up performing at a failing circus. And if I do one more sentence, I will reach 100 words and fulfill the requirement. Bye for now Dumbo! 

Saving: Salmon Fishing in the Yemen

• Sad 1

The Intern

tumblr_pde6vxqbLm1txzbmgo2_500.gifv

I really don't care about any of the films left nor did I particularly care for any of the nominations at all so great job, @*Chris. I'm saving Seeking a Friend for the End of the World again for @Alex95 since he requested its safety last time. I have never heard of this movie before. I accidentally mistook for The Internship with Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson. :haha: The Intern was released in 2015 and is an American comedy film directed, written and produced by Nancy Meyers. The film stars Robert De Niro, Anne Hathaway. The movie follows a 70 year-old wioder who becomes a senior intern at an online fashion website. It doesn't sound like I movie I would watch so I have no problem cutting it now. The film was released by Warner Bros andreceived positive reviews from critics. That's nice for the film but I am still not interested. The film has a 60% Rotten Tomatoes score which isn't horrible but again I've never heard of the film before this write-up.

Saving: Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

The Glass Castle 

The_Glass_Castle_(2017_film).png

IDF ate my last write up. I did not deserve that. Anyway. This movie is not nearly as deep as it thinks it is. It is also massively underwhelming. I went through the effort of seeing an advanced screening of this. I saw it on Tuesday when it was coming out that Thursday. Taking my phone was excessive. Also taking away the ability to check the time during the movie was awful. Why yes, the most memorable thing about this movie was I could not check the time during it. 

This is based off a best selling memoir.  The cast includes Brie Larson, Woody Harelson and Naomi Watts. So much potential. No actual follow through. 

Save the other guys