Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Mewtwo Strikes Back: Evolution

tba

i feel bad cutting this film because it’s Pokémon related but I just wanted to get this cut in before doctor strange gets cut or something. I didn’t wanna risk it. This movie is a Netflix exclusive and it came out last year. It’s basically rehash of the program Pokémon movie which I enjoyed. This was a good watch but it’s fine film to go at this point in time. If you’ve seen the original this isn’t any better imo. I still love Pokémon but out it goes out of this rankdown.

The Boss

giphy.gif

I consider myself to be a fan of Melissa McCarthy, but I don't remember this movie at all? Apparently nobody else does because this is all that's listed under the plot section of Wikipedia: "The film follows a wealthy woman who, after being arrested and losing her fortune, uses her assistant's daughter's Dandelion Girls cookie sales to return to the top." So yeah that's the movie. It stars Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Bell and Peter Dinklage but despite being produced and co-written by Melissa McCarthy apparently it's just not all that funny or good. I feel Melissa McCarthy is very talented and very funny and a lot of movies can survive on that alone but I wish she was in consistently good things. But make that paycheck.

Saving: Godzilla

THE LEISURE SEEKER 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I am cutting a movie that I've never heard of until now - this movie was released in 2017, and it is a comedy-drama. The two main characters are portrayed by Dame Helen Mirren and Donald Sutherland - fun fact about Donald Sutherland is that he's the son in law of Tommy Douglas who is credited to be the father of universal health care in Canada. And back to the movie now, it is a movie that follows John & Ella Spencer as they take one last road trip from their town to the Floriday Keys. They wish to do this trip, one last time, before his dementia and her cancer catch up with them - they do this trip in their Winnebago. Anyway, I am not sure if I am the demographic of the movie but I have no intention of seeing it considering its score on RottenTomatoes is quite low. 

SAVING: THE GREATEST SHOWMAN

Edited by *Chris

SOMETHING BORROWED

71iKjf-vy6L._AC_SY679_.jpg

I watched Something Borrowed and thought it was good. I don't believe anyone here will be saving the film from elimination though, so I'll go ahead and cut it so I can do the write-up myself. I'll discuss the plot of the film in detail, so spoiler alert here.

Something Borrowed is a romantic comedy, and it is based on the book by Emily Giffin. The characters are Rachel (played by Ginnifer Goodwin), Darcy (played by Kate Hudson), Ethan (played by John Krasinski), and Dex (played by Colin Egglesfield). Rachel and Darcy have been best friends since childhood, and Ethan is another one of their childhood friends. Rachel and Dex met in law school, and he's currently engaged to Darcy. The movie begins on the night of Rachel's 30th birthday party. After the party and too many drinks, Rachel and Dex end up sleeping together. Uh-oh. Rachel is portrayed as this responsible woman with a good head on her shoulders, yet here she is sleeping with her best friend's fiancée. However, it's revealed that Rachel and Dex have had feelings for each other since law school, but they never acted on it before. Rachel never thought a guy like Dex would be interested in a girl like her, but he was. I guess this is the story's way of making it seem like what Rachel is doing is excusable, even though it really isn't. Rachel and Dex end up having an affair behind Darcy's back, but Ethan eventually finds out. Ethan is Rachel's confidant, and he encourages her to tell the truth. There's also a subplot with Ethan being too afraid to tell a girl he hooked up with that he's just not that into her, so he lies and tells her he's gay. But he actually really likes Rachel, but he understands that she's in love with Dex. Darcy is written to be kind of unlikable and takes her friendship with Rachel for granted, which is another way to make it seem like Rachel's choices are justified. However, there is a flashback scene when Darcy and Dex first meet. Darcy even asks Dex why hasn't he asked out Rachel yet, and Rachel says they are just friends. Afterwards, Darcy then tells Dex to ask her out. So, Rachel basically handed Dex over to Darcy on a silver platter. Rachel and Dex's feelings grow, and Rachel wants Dex to officially choose her over Darcy. When Dex says he can't, Rachel wants to end things. Dex finally calls off the wedding without telling Darcy the truth, and he goes to see Rachel. While he is in Rachel's apartment, Darcy comes over. Dex has to go hide before Darcy comes in. Darcy lies to Rachel that she was the one to call off the wedding. She also reveals she is pregnant with Dex's friend Marcus's baby. So, once again, the story wants to paint Darcy as the main villain and guilty in some way so it's okay that Rachel and Dex have been sleeping together. It seems like there will be no repercussions for Rachel and Dex's affair, but that does not happen. The truth comes out in dramatic fashion. You can see that confrontation here:

Overall, I thought Something Borrowed was a decent film. Rotten Tomatoes disagrees as it has a 15% approval rating, adding "In spite of solid performances from Kate Hudson and John Krasinski, Something Borrowed is an unpleasant misfire that lives down to its title." I don't think the film is bad enough for a 15% approval rating. Based on the plot, one cannot expect an Oscar worthy film. Even if the plot is a bit predictable, Kate Hudson and John Krasinski make the film worth watching. They give great comedic performances. Darcy is written to have the audience root against her, but Kate Hudson does a great job and brings more depth to the character than a different actress may have done. However, it is John Krasinski who steals the show. John Krasinski's Ethan is hilarious and easily the best character of the whole film. Here are some scenes with him:

Ginnifer Goodwin is a good lead and plays her role well, but Colin Egglesfield's Dex is too boring. There's nothing interesting about him to see why Rachel likes him so much and is willing to risk her lifelong friendship with Darcy for him. Steve Howey and Ashley Williams round out the rest of the cast as Marcus and Claire. Marcus is the worst character in the film with no redeeming qualities. Claire doesn't add much to the plot, but her scenes with Ethan are funny. Anyway, I thought Something Borrowed was fine and not as bad as the critics said it was. In addition, it was interesting to see a film where all the characters are in the wrong. Everybody here makes mistakes and are not perfect movie heroes, which brings some realism to the story. 

I didn't expect to write so much, but I figured I'd write plenty if I'm voluntarily eliminating a film I watched and found enjoyable. Anyway, Something Borrowed isn't a bad movie, and I recommend it if you don't mind these types of films.

And I'm saving Leap Year.

ubTR2fO.gif

Edited by Steven_